View Full Version : dublin vs tyrone

irishultra
31/01/2009, 11:28 PM
what did people make of the match?

sean cavanagh is immense.

Jinxy
31/01/2009, 11:41 PM
Very enjoyable game.
Stephen O'Neill gave an absolute master class in point scoring.
I think the new rules worked well and both teams wanted to play football.
A fantastic evenings entertainment for just 20 squid.

SuperDub
01/02/2009, 1:26 PM
I think the new rules worked well and both teams wanted to play football.

I think the ref was told to keep his yellow card in his pocket last night for the night that was in it. There certainly were times when a yellow cards could have been issued. Some of tyrone's scores were awesome.

Eoin Mulligan has a right to celebrate his goal but from were i was standing on the hill he seemed to mouth something at the hill and was looking for a reaction as it was a strange thing to do as he was'nt getting any grief from the hill last night. He is a good footballer and does not need to carry on like that.

Jinxy
01/02/2009, 1:56 PM
I think Mulligan is just a bit of a headcase to be honest.

MariborKev
01/02/2009, 3:17 PM
Eoin Mulligan has a right to celebrate his goal but from were i was standing on the hill he seemed to mouth something at the hill and was looking for a reaction as it was a strange thing to do as he was'nt getting any grief from the hill last night. He is a good footballer and does not need to carry on like that.

I'm far from a Tyrone fan but throwing coins etc(I checked when I came back from the game and you can see it on the coverage) is way out of order.

As others have said, great game and some of the Tyrone scores in the first half were sublime.

Angus
01/02/2009, 6:25 PM
Agree - watched on TV and it was super - amazing to think it is the biggest live audience at anything this wekeend - even the superbowl only goes to 65 - 70k

Incredible turnout and one which I think could be food for thought

Question - why do the GAA not abandon the provincial champs as they are and move to a US style event - where winning the division still has merit but ultimately everybody gets loads of games

The answer, probably is Munster and Leinster football but surely the thing would explode - abolish the league and have a longer championship

MariborKev
01/02/2009, 7:31 PM
To be fair Angus, a lot of people at it were on freebie tickets from their clubs(as was I).

If the Superbowl was in a stadium for 250,000 it would be filled.

SuperDub
01/02/2009, 8:28 PM
I'm far from a Tyrone fan but throwing coins etc(I checked when I came back from the game and you can see it on the coverage) is way out of order.

As others have said, great game and some of the Tyrone scores in the first half were sublime.

I agree that behaviour is totally unacceptable but so to is mulligans behaviour. I saw his goal tonight but you cannot see from the camera angle that he was mouthing off to the crowd as i said before he is a good footballer but lets himslf down hence the reaction from the some idiots in the crowd.

Schumi
02/02/2009, 4:03 PM
amazing to think it is the biggest live audience at anything this wekeend - even the superbowl only goes to 65 - 70k

I doubt it was even a third of the crowd at Rally Ireland if previous years are anything to go by.

Jinxy
02/02/2009, 5:43 PM
Are you seriously comparing people spread along roads over a huge geographical area to a sporting event in a stadium?
Sure if I stand at my gate when the cars go by I'm a spectator.

rebus2008
02/02/2009, 7:09 PM
I doubt it was even a third of the crowd at Rally Ireland if previous years are anything to go by.

Maybe true, but if you were to discount the mentally unwell, people who walked from their front door to their gate and boy racers, you'd have about 25 watching the Rally. Just can't see the attractive of standing in the cold for a car to fly by every 5minutes.
Not a huge amount of spectator involvement is there.
If they are that into it, there is rallying in some parts of Dublin and Limerick every weekend for them.
I can see the attraction in some degree to F1 etc on TV but standing on ditch and watching the outline of subaru fly by...I just don't get it.:confused:
I guess its one of life mysterys.

Schumi
03/02/2009, 10:01 AM
Are you seriously comparing people spread along roads over a huge geographical area to a sporting event in a stadium?
Sure if I stand at my gate when the cars go by I'm a spectator.People are comparing a crowd with free tickets watching a fireworks show to the Superbowl. I don't think this is any sillier.

Aberdonian Stu
03/02/2009, 11:16 AM
I think any comparison when the concept of a maximum capacity exists is somewhat silly.

Docboy
03/02/2009, 3:47 PM

I'm surprised that anyone's throwing money away in the current climate...

old git
09/02/2009, 3:59 PM
I agree that behaviour is totally unacceptable but so to is mulligans behaviour. I saw his goal tonight but you cannot see from the camera angle that he was mouthing off to the crowd as i said before he is a good footballer but lets himslf down hence the reaction from the some idiots in the crowd.

seem to remember 2 dublin players ( brogan & vaughan i think) giving it large in leinster final last few mins not so long ago .. playing up to the hill and taunting oponents .. ::ball:

SuperDub
09/02/2009, 9:43 PM
seem to remember 2 dublin players ( brogan & vaughan i think) giving it large in leinster final last few mins not so long ago .. playing up to the hill and taunting oponents .. ::ball:

The incident you are talking about was at the canal end were laois and dublin players were involved in alot of verbals that brogan was involved in. The incident with vaughan was again verbals between himself and a laois defender in a totally different game.

both theses incidents were bang out of order and both players got plenty of stick about their behaviour. They at no point were gesturing at the crowd unlike owen mulligan and its not the first time he has done it,

As i said before mulligans behaviour was unwarranted as he was not getting any grief from the hill. It does'nt matter what county you play for there is no need for that kind of nonsense.