PDA

View Full Version : Do you attend your Underage sides games?

Sam_Heggy
31/01/2009, 6:31 PM
How many folk on here attend their clubs youth/reserve sides games?

Do many people on here think "sure its only the first team that counts"?

Its just a general thought, I was at our youths FAI youth cup game today and there was just a handful of Harps fans at it. The older people around our club seem to think having anything other than a first team is a waste of time and money, I just want to see what the rest of the leagues perception of this is.

From my own point of view, I get much more pleasure out of watching our underage teams than the first team. Young lads playing for the love of it and not money grabbing *&%$*'s like we have had in our first team.

Mr Maroon
31/01/2009, 6:40 PM
I went to all of our A league matches that were in Terryland last year. I have to admit that I have actually never seen a GUFC under 21/20 team play!

Dodge
31/01/2009, 6:49 PM
I enjoy watching the A team or u21 team if they're in Richmond. usually only a handful of peopl at the games but they usually know their stuff. I've watched cup finals/semis from the u18s and below

El-Pietro
31/01/2009, 6:52 PM
i would go if i could go but i work weekends

went to a couple of munster senior cup games last year

oldyouth
31/01/2009, 6:53 PM
I'll watch a game of live footy wherever I can get it. My son plays U16 on a Saturday, so that is the start of my 'fix'. Sunday, I head out for the papers and troll the roads for a local game. If I can't find one, I head to the Youths to watch them train. If there is a Youths U18 or U20 game on the go, well happy days

Youths4Ever
31/01/2009, 7:13 PM
yeah try get to as many u18 and u20 games as possible both home and away but honestly only make 2-3 away games for the underage

Magicme
31/01/2009, 7:21 PM
Under 15's and Under 11's mainly as my sons play but occasionally catch some of the other games. Problem for me is that I spend so much time there that when I can get away I do. I go see our ladies team playing too if I can.

CSFShels
31/01/2009, 7:50 PM
Never really got into it to be honest. I probably should.

Poor Student
31/01/2009, 8:23 PM
I don't live that close to Belfield so I'd only watch the U-21 side if they're in the latter stages of the championship or the A team in the final. It's usually enjoyable and a refreshing change as UCD are one of the stronger teams at both levels.

Battery Rover
31/01/2009, 8:31 PM
Living in Limerick makes it very hard to get to all matches other than the senior team but watch the Under 20s and Under 17s whenever I am able. I also try and make some of our underage affiliated club St Josephs and always attend the Kennedy Cup in UL to support the local schoolboy league representative squad.

Ash
31/01/2009, 8:40 PM
I go to the U18 and U20 home games whenever they didnt clash with my own matches.

bray boy
31/01/2009, 11:55 PM
dont go to any of our under age games really.

and i dont see why people feel obliged to :confused:

stann
01/02/2009, 12:09 AM
Saw 4 of the 5 home U-20 games (we played Kilkenny away twice), and 1 away game (Wexford) this season just gone.
Will try get to most of the homes and a few of the aways again this year, do think it is important. Having said that, am glad we've only the two sides! :D

CSFShels
01/02/2009, 12:17 AM

Nobody mentioned any obligation.

Ash
01/02/2009, 12:21 AM

Depends on how much of an interest you have in the club overall. Im my case I go to watch them to see who might make the breakthrough to 1st team. Plus our Youths have a very good team so its nice to see a winning Town team :-)

gufcfan
01/02/2009, 12:22 AM
Have seen a few A league games. Went to them when I could. Good entertainment for the most part, but not always because of what was happening on the pitch.

Mr Maroon
01/02/2009, 12:54 AM
Have seen a few A league games. Went to them when I could. Good entertainment for the most part, but not always because of what was happening on the pitch.
Because of Billy?

Tis-smeee
01/02/2009, 1:31 AM
Most u-20 home games

oldyouth
01/02/2009, 9:52 AM

Watching football is never an obligation. I don't care what level its at, a good close game is a joy to watch

Sam_Heggy
01/02/2009, 10:40 AM

Do you consider yourself a fan of a team or a club?

I don't think there is any obligation involved, but, if Harps are playing locally no matter the age group I try to get out.
To be perfectly honest lately I find it much easier to get excited about the u-18 side at present than the first team.

passerrby
01/02/2009, 10:51 AM
just heading of to see our under 15s in the national cup v ballincollig always try to catch an underage match

longfordjames
01/02/2009, 11:06 AM
I do not attend underage matches..

dannydundalk
01/02/2009, 11:46 AM
don't attend many under age games either
the odd one if its a semi/final?

holidaysong
01/02/2009, 8:49 PM
If I lived in Dundalk I'd probably go to a few alright. I try to make the ones in Dublin though (when I can find the fixture times!)..

Magicme
01/02/2009, 9:04 PM
If I lived in Dundalk I'd probably go to a few alright. I try to make the ones in Dublin though (when I can find the fixture times!)..

www.bayfc.com is great for Dundalk Schoolboy fixtures

A face
01/02/2009, 9:10 PM
I have gone to a few of them, U21 and U18 games. There were loads of semis and finals in the last few years so that why there would have been bigger attendances. Normally just arrange to meet a few of the lads at the game if we have something else to sort out, game of ball, few pints and discussion on whatever is being organised. We used ot have a lotto draw every Monday so would try and arrange to meet people there so we support the draw and get a few pints in as well.

LeixlipRed
01/02/2009, 9:53 PM
The team I played schoolboy for, Leixlip United, compete in the same leagues as Shels so I would favour United over them as my brother still plays and my Dad manages for them. But I went to all the futsal in DCU last year when our U-20s were playing.

Sam_Heggy
01/02/2009, 11:20 PM
On a related note I see Cork won the u 20s final today.

gspain
02/02/2009, 7:49 AM
I live in Dublin but do go to aways in the Dublin region

holidaysong
02/02/2009, 11:29 AM
www.bayfc.com is great for Dundalk Schoolboy fixtures

Thank you. :)

blackholesun
02/02/2009, 1:00 PM
I live in Tallaght, so head up to some Rovers schoolboys games on Sunday mornings now and again, weather permitting. Nice to see the 16+ games as it gives you an good idea of some promising players coming thru the ranks.

bhs

superfrank
02/02/2009, 1:07 PM
I've been to a few of the U-20s games over the years and I've been to one A team game.

I'd go if I was looking for something to do and there was a game on but I don't look out for the fixtures.

KevB76
02/02/2009, 6:03 PM
I like to see the U20's /A's whenever I can, but dont go out of my way to see them usually.
I saw almost every home match of our U21's in 07 and thoroughly enjoyed it, we had some fantastic players at the time.
Only got to half a dozen games between the U20's/A's in 08 - the home games werent quite at home which didnt help, and there were just too many games between these two and the senior side and with other commitments, it was just a little too much effort to keep up with all of them regularly.

sadloserkid
03/02/2009, 10:29 AM
Head to A/U-20 games when I can. Probably only got to about ten overall last season though. I did get to Carlow's frankly bizarre setup alright. Twas cool.

Darkglasses
03/02/2009, 8:01 PM
Myself and my father go to a good few of the U-20 and U-18 games, there's a usually quite a good turn out for the home games at least.

holidaysong
04/02/2009, 12:21 AM
Myself and my father go to a good few of the U-20 and U-18 games, there's a usually quite a good turn out for the home games at least.

In fairness, Wexford Youths are an u-18/u-20 team with a senior side rather then a senior side with a few under age teams..

oldyouth
04/02/2009, 12:42 PM
In fairness, Wexford Youths are an u-18/u-20 team with a senior side rather then a senior side with a few under age teams..

You're not altogether wrong with that. When we started 2 years ago, the U18s were all we had. Only a few have held their place and getting in local, senior players to sign as amateurs is not easy. Hence, we are still filling the ranks from the underage set up