PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Adu

Estar
20/11/2003, 9:01 AM
the 14-year old United States phenomenon, has dashed the hopes of a string of top English clubs by agreeing his first professional contract with Major League Soccer.

Adu was locked out of signing anywhere else. Due to FIFA regulations, players under 18 are prohibited from signing a binding contract with a foreign side.

Inter Milan, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and others were all willing to take the risk that Adu would re-sign with them in four years if he was brought into their youth program.

But Adu will stay in the US where he will become the youngest professional American athlete in a team sport in over 100 years when he plays next April.

"This is one of the most monumental days in the history of soccer in the USA," MLS commissioner Don Garber said. "With enormous pride and excitement, we announce that we have reached a long-term deal with young Mr Freddy Adu."

Adu will be assigned to DC United, where he reportedly becomes the highest-paid player in the league with a yearly salary of approximately £147,000.

Earlier this year, Nike signed Adu to a £788,000 endorsement deal

It could only happen in the US, is this lad a fraud or a freak?

:eek:

SÓC
20/11/2003, 9:16 AM
BBC 5Live did a series of reports on him.

He's from Ghana (I think) and apparently birth records from there arent great. His family won a green card lottery to go the states.

George Weah was three/four years older than his passport said he was.

tiktok
20/11/2003, 9:17 AM
Don't think he's a fraud, too many european clubs have had a look and liked what they've seen, from what i've heard of him, there's loads of talent there. It remains to see if the coaching system in the states brings the best out of him, MLS players tend to be physically strong, exceptionally fit, but at best technically average (sweeping generalisation there:D ).

Estar
20/11/2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
BBC 5Live did a series of reports on him.

He's from Ghana (I think) and apparently birth records from there arent great.

Ya they seem to have great under age teams, has the 14 year old a beard?:D

Estar
20/11/2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
MLS players tend to be physically strong, exceptionally fit, but at best technically average (sweeping generalisation there:D ).

Are you talking about Keegan from Bohs:D

irishstranger
28/11/2003, 10:36 PM
I live here in the States and have seen this kid play and have watched him being interviewed on telly. I must say he carries himself well in these interviews and appears very articulate for a 14 year old.
As for the kids play on the pitch, it is a joy to behold watching him.
He is the only youngster I've seen in the States that would have you on the edge of your seat when he gets the ball.
Reminds me of George Best actually. Strong praise I know, but watch out for this superstar in the coming years.

PS Did not notice a beard and can't confirm age, but no matter, you cannot hide pure talent:ball:

Lionel Hutz
29/11/2003, 3:15 AM
Originally posted by irishstranger
I live here in the States and have seen this kid play and have watched him being interviewed on telly. I must say he carries himself well in these interviews and appears very articulate for a 14 year old.

Precisely what I was think!
Considering the amount of attention and indeed pressure this lad is getting he the most level headed and articulate 14 year old Iv ever seen do an interview

jofyisgod
02/12/2003, 5:53 PM
Yeah he is really good. It could be agood thing that he plays in the USA, as he will not get as much hype as any half decent young players does over here (eg/Rooney) who then go on to "underperform" from the medias stupidly high expectations.
I'm glad he's staying over there-shows loyalty, too-something many footballers lack.