PDA

View Full Version : Another GAA Fraudster - No Media Convulsion?

Boh_So_Good
31/01/2009, 12:41 AM
Here we go again. Another GAA committee person caught living off the clubs accounts. Well at least another one that we know about compared to the hundreds which are resolved without the Garda being involved.

Thing is, all a LOI club has to do is made some mistake in business management and the same "journalists" who are either ignoring or playing down these GAA cultural of pilfering stories as an isolated incident, would use bad administration of any LOI club as proof that every one in Ireland who supports LOI is either a mentally unstable violent racist, or a buffoon and would be grounds to dismantle the league or create a Dublin club to play in the Premiership. However when major criminal fraud is rarely made public it is an "unfortunate isolated case within the otherwise magnificent GAA culture"

Where is Martin Cullen on this major issue of GAA swindlers? Would he "love to see" British auditors to come over and check out the accounts of the GAA?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0130/carrollp.html

Rocky77
31/01/2009, 2:39 AM
Given that the last case saw the subject die in tragic circumstances, I consider the tone of the thread to be in bad taste.

Secondly, you are correct, the same journalists that will hammer LoI clubs will by quiet on this. The main reason being that soccer journalists do not cover GAA and vice versa; Emmet Malone does not write about the Dubs; Martin Breheny does not write about Bohs.

This is in no way to condone corruption at any level, just to keep a sense of perspective.

KianD
31/01/2009, 3:34 AM
The self same journalists that only pop their head above the parapet occasionally LOI wise would be wetting themselves had this story happened in the LOI; however as its GAA it gets minimal coverage in the news pages and zero coverage in the sports one in todays Indo... that the main LOI journos wouldn't cover it is irrelavent, those that jump on bad news in the Times/Indo/Tribune - especially the Tribune - would cover it if it was LOI and will largely gloss over it this week because its bogball. If it makes the sports section and hence the back page of any paper I'll be amazed.

CuanaD
31/01/2009, 8:25 AM
Wow - €98,273 in 18 months! - what was she doing with that kind of money?!?

Aside - why is she selling her HOME to pay the owed - I didn't think that the GAA (being such a community based group) would allow one of their own be turfed out on the street - by themselves! (i know that sounds snide of me - & probably is - but i genuinely wonder if she wouldn't be better off spending some jail time & then still having a home when she got out).

Boh_So_Good
31/01/2009, 12:08 PM
Given that the last case saw the subject die in tragic circumstances, I consider the tone of the thread to be in bad taste.

Oh get over yourself. If he was conected to an LOI club and did the same his suicide would have been treated as "good riddence and hopefully he'll take everyone else in the LOI with him" by the same media scum who waxed on lyrically about how the "Waterford Ga Robber was just as much a victim...*sob...sniff*".

The issue is that in nearly all these cases the GAA official with the hand in till is from a rural farming background and they seem to think that money is something which just arrives into your pocket and all cash in your vacinity is yours to take.

If the Government/EU is writing you checks not to farm, then they begin to develop this astronomical sense of personal self entitlement which then translates into everything from expecting a tax-payer funded General Hospital, Motorway and Rail Corridor serving your Townland of 3 houses 20 miles apart, to just assuming the local GAA clubs money is something you are entitled too take.

The same has happened with rural Credit Unions/Fianna Fail/FG as well. Same thing. Famers or their wives feel they are entitled to all the money around them because that is just how it is and by extention the entire structure of the GAA (a farming and catholic church organisations which dabbles in sport) from top to bottom behaves the same way. Look at Tallaght FFS.

The GAA like the IFA demanding drink driving and pouring cow ****e into drinking water is an organisation which has no behavioual bondaries and is a law unto itself. Frankly I am amazed this case even made it to court because the vast majority of GAA till dipping does not.

Oh, and the vast majority of journalists in this country are farmer's sons and daughters who got every educational grant availble to them to pay their way through college and university so they could go up to Dublin and write articles about how Jackeens are all either Skangers with AIDS or Dublin 4 types drinking champange for breakfast and both groups are opressing the real Irish people of rural Ireland.

Rocky77
31/01/2009, 12:27 PM
Oh get over yourself. If he was conected to an LOI club and did the same his suicide would have been treated as "good riddence and hopefully he'll take everyone else in the LOI with him" by the same media scum who waxed on lyrically about how the "Waterford Ga Robber was just as much a victim...*sob...sniff*".

The issue is that in nearly all these cases the GAA official with the hand in till is from a rural farming background and they seem to think that money is something which just arrives into your pocket and all cash in your vacinity is yours to take.

If the Government/EU is writing you checks not to farm, then they begin to develop this astronomical sense of personal self entitlement which then translates into everything from expecting a tax-payer funded General Hospital, Motorway and Rail Corridor serving your Townland of 3 houses 20 miles apart, to just assuming the local GAA clubs money is something you are entitled too take.

The same has happened with rural Credit Unions/Fianna Fail/FG as well. Same thing. Famers or their wives feel they are entitled to all the money around them because that is just how it is and by extention the entire structure of the GAA (a farming and catholic church organisations which dabbles in sport) from top to bottom behaves the same way. Look at Tallaght FFS.

The GAA like the IFA demanding drink driving and pouring cow ****e into drinking water is an organisation which has no behavioual bondaries and is a law unto itself. Frankly I am amazed this case even made it to court because the vast majority of GAA till dipping does not.

Oh, and the vast majority of journalists in this country are farmer's sons and daughters who got every educational grant availble to them to pay their way through college and university so they could go up to Dublin and write articles about how Jackeens are all either Skangers with AIDS or Dublin 4 types drinking champange for breakfast and both groups are opressing the real Irish people of rural Ireland.

Fancy a burger or some curry sauce with that chip?

As a great man once said: Get over yourself.

BohDiddley
31/01/2009, 12:48 PM
Still, it probably is true to say that if it were LoI the general sporting press would make hay (pun intended) with it, holding it out as proof that the whole system needs to be torn down. Whereas, since it's GAA, we'll be getting the one bad apple spiel.

Rocky77
31/01/2009, 1:00 PM
Yeah, there's certainly something in that. But what strikes me about this case is that it's more of a news story than a sports story so it's hard to properly quantify what sort of sporting coverage it would get.

Kildareman
31/01/2009, 5:16 PM
If the official figure is €98k then I wonder what the unofficial figure is?

paul_oshea
31/01/2009, 5:46 PM
:rolleyes:

rebus2008
31/01/2009, 5:53 PM
Doesn't surprise me that the gaa turfes out one of their own. Their the biggest pack of gangsters in the country and are pure prats. They have no problem damaging the credibility of their own sports to make money so of coirse they are gonna turf out someone who was stealing from them

The press will treat all sports in different ways depending on preference and what the public mood is.

LOI gets poor press of financial running of the clubs and poor attendances

GAA gets hammered every time there is a disciplinary issue. Any GAA incident is big news (and quite rightkly to help eradicate the problem)

Compare the treatment of any GAA fight with the treatment of rugby violence.

Dublin/Meath in league last year when it was just handbags and not one punch throw. Acres of news print

Paul O'Connell had toe to toe boxing match about 4 weeks ago and no coverage of it. Malcolm O'Kelly got a month for stamping directly on a guys head (shocking stuff even nowadays with UFC everywhere)..no press coverage of note and no follow on public outrage.
Thats life.

Lads, u'd be better of focusing on improving the LOI than continuing harping about hard done you are.
LOI if it went semi-pro and developed local links along county lines could have good future as people will watch football. Its current guise of over paid players waiting for the next transfer before the club goes bust has no future.

PS If the GAA are mainly scammers of funds and still manage to build a dozen quality grounds and 100's of club grounds, whats the reason for the homeless FAI? They must have been diverting 100% of the funds from Italia 90, US 94 and Japan 2002.

Focus on what you can do to improve your own love and lose the chips...they are weighing you down

Jinxy
31/01/2009, 10:21 PM
I've seen this story at least twice on the main evening news on separate days. It's also been in the news section of all the daily newspapers. Now, what eircom league fraud story are we comparing this to exactly, because in spite of all the massive media coverage you think those fraud stories have gotten, I funnily enough can't think of a single one. I saw this woman being brought into court in handcuffs on the news. What more do you want? A prime time special?

MariborKev
31/01/2009, 10:29 PM
Just back from the Tyrone v the Dubs.

Wonder will Tom Humphries see fit to mention the hail of coins at Mulligan when he scored.......

Met a few other LOI heads there, and a well known Rovers fan popped up on the Setanta coverage from what I hear.

Jinxy
31/01/2009, 11:57 PM

Wonder will Tom Humphries see fit to mention the hail of coins at Mulligan when he scored.......

Met a few other LOI heads there, and a well known Rovers fan popped up on the Setanta coverage from what I hear.

Had they any change left?

mrtndvn
01/02/2009, 1:42 AM

Most Derry folk would of turned a blind eye to that as well ;)

boris
01/02/2009, 4:04 AM
as someone who spent had earned cash on attending both gaa and soccer matches last year, this rubbish about gaa vs soccer really annoys me. sure there are clowns in the gaa who hate soccer, but then they probably hate every other sport other than their own ( in some county football and hurling are rivals!!!!). i agree with rebus, the gaa is hammered when it suits a paper agenda for that day, which is to sell papers. and as for this farmer / culchie bashing, well im sure there is a relevence in there somewhere, ( maybe thats where the chips come from!!!)

CuanaD
01/02/2009, 8:04 AM
as someone who spent had earned cash on attending both gaa and soccer matches last year, this rubbish about gaa vs soccer really annoys me.
. . . as opposed to stolen cash - nice Freudian there boris ;)

rebus2008
01/02/2009, 3:16 PM
as someone who spent had earned cash on attending both gaa and soccer matches last year, this rubbish about gaa vs soccer really annoys me. sure there are clowns in the gaa who hate soccer, but then they probably hate every other sport other than their own ( in some county football and hurling are rivals!!!!). i agree with rebus, the gaa is hammered when it suits a paper agenda for that day, which is to sell papers. and as for this farmer / culchie bashing, well im sure there is a relevence in there somewhere, ( maybe thats where the chips come from!!!)

There are people in both organisations who dislike each other. Sad really when most of what they spout is baseless nonsense.
Even sadder when the tragic suicide of an elderly man is used to feed and justify a sporting dislike. The poor guy obviously misspent some money (gambling I don't what), tried to dig his way back -losing more and when it became public, he couldn't live with the shame. Have a heart. He trudged a lonely walk to empty farmhouse to escape the guilt and shame. More tragic is that most people (Gaa,LOI etc) would have forgiven him and helped him out.Jesus lads, you only lower yoursleves when using his tragic end to justofy a stereotypical view of Gaa.

One thing i've noticed is:
- LOI fans who dislike the GAA seem to be from a much younger generation to those GAA people who dislike LOI. Not sure what to read into that. :confused:

From my dealings in both organisatiosn, these people are in the vast minority. Thank God. And most people are sporting people who to be honest will jump on any available bandwagon when the moment suits

- Munster Rugby up to April
- Dubs up to August (never Sept unfortunately)
- LOI clubs when they do well in Europe
- Jacks army
- Bernard Dunne
etc

Have to say I much prefer the bandwagoner (and most would be commited to sport but just like to follow success), than the petty begrdgers who stereotype sporting organisations to suit the petty blinkered views. Most people have a gaa/rugby and Ireland jersey in the wardrobe.