PDA

View Full Version : Paul Cook leaves Sligo Rovers by mutual consent

Pages : [1] 2

red metal
30/01/2009, 8:16 AM
Just got a call tere off a mate.Told me Cooke is gone???????????????????????????

LondonRover
30/01/2009, 8:22 AM
Surely not?

redobit
30/01/2009, 8:22 AM
Just got a call tere off a mate.Told me Cooke is gone???????????????????????????

Seems to be, getin txts, f>>k it

Nathan
30/01/2009, 8:26 AM
Just heard it now

thesilverfox
30/01/2009, 8:44 AM
just heard it from a fairly reliable source bout 9 o clock. such a pity.

Jeebus
30/01/2009, 8:50 AM
just heard it from a fairly reliable source bout 9 o clock. such a pity.

Confirmed on RTE

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0130/sligorovers.html

:mad::mad::(

Magicme
30/01/2009, 9:09 AM
Just heard it on Today FM. Shocked tbh.

Guts&Glory
30/01/2009, 9:14 AM
'No further comment will be made by Sligo Rovers Football Club.'

Good to see the habits of non communication with the Public will remain.

No doubt DBranaigan will be complaining when the rumours start flying about for the reasons of his departure by 'mutual consent'.

SligoBrewer
30/01/2009, 9:25 AM
I'm sick of this ****

Red&White Rover
30/01/2009, 9:30 AM
Nooooo...

wonder88
30/01/2009, 9:32 AM
What a time to go, just before start of the season, this happened before to ye. any idea of the reason for him leaving by "mutual consent" ? surely the club own the fans, who keep the club in existence by the way, deserve more than "no further comment"

GuisaSaigon
30/01/2009, 9:50 AM
Shocked!
Rated him as one of the leagues best, seems a bit strange that it's happened now.:confused:

DaveyCakes
30/01/2009, 9:54 AM
We always lose our manager before we play in Europe!!

redobit
30/01/2009, 9:58 AM
And as bad as cook leaving is, im hearing VN is gone too, which is nearly worse.
You can guarentee that some of the players on the books are tied in to cooks contract, so when hes gone, they il be gone too.

Rovers Maniac
30/01/2009, 10:01 AM
And as bad as cook leaving is, im hearing VN is gone too, which is nearly worse.
You can guarentee that some of the players on the books are tied in to cooks contract, so when hes gone, they il be gone too.
If true that Nally has left i think it says quite a bit about what has gone on up there in the pre-season.

Mayo Red
30/01/2009, 10:08 AM
So fed up of this sh1t aswell, things were just going too smoothly so far, or so it appeared anyways. This was building up to be a huge season for the club and now we're starting it in crisis, again!! Cookie is missing out on the chance of managing in Europe aswell so relations must have really deteriorated.

Redie
30/01/2009, 10:31 AM
COMPLETE AND UTTER DISASTER!

I for one will be looking for a refund on my season ticket. The main reason I bought it was because Cook was staying!

Rovers1
30/01/2009, 10:39 AM
Bit of a shock alright. No money in the coffers im sure was the reason. Cook wanted a decent budget, he didint get it. Cook goes.

We'll all move on. I was really excited about the start of the season, not really now!:(
Can see Bulter leaving now. Hopefully the board do as well with their next appointment as they did with Paul.

red metal
30/01/2009, 10:47 AM
I wont be sitting my arse in the showgrounds this year.And a few more of my mate,s are the same.Unless Toolan and his crew are gone.Enough is enough with these MUPPETS now!Were a laughing stock again looking for a new manager with only 2 days left in the window and no Manager.Well done Mr chairman.I really thought this year we could do something with Cook.But the truth is as long as these Muppets are up there we are allways going to be a small club!Let the real business people of Sligo come in and give it a shot they cant do any worse then whats there now can they?:mad::mad::mad

Rovers Maniac
30/01/2009, 10:50 AM
Bit of a shock alright. No money in the coffers im sure was the reason. Cook wanted a decent budget, he didint get it. Cook goes.

We'll all move on. I was really excited about the start of the season, not really now!:(
Can see Bulter leaving now. Hopefully the board do as well with their next appointment as they did with Paul.

Jesus maybe its just me but i won't be moving on this easy, i want an answer of why exactly this came about first. And i would like to know if it is true, why a good man like V.Nally has left the club ! Or if it is true why Boco was being sold behind Cook's back to Derry !

Its a joke we have no idea what players are even at the club, you used to get more information coming out from the old Iron curtain than whats coming from the Showgrounds at the moment. Its happened so fast that there seems to have been no effort to keep him even, and would like to know why. I feel fairly disrespected as a fan at the moment after the effort we made last season to help the club.

gufct
30/01/2009, 10:51 AM
the window isnt closed till march and the sligo budget is substantially bigger than ours so if ye want to threaten the club with ruin off ye go.What is more important for ye success (not guarenteed by money) or the club staying in existence.

Rovers Maniac
30/01/2009, 10:58 AM
the window isnt closed till march and the sligo budget is substantially bigger than ours so if ye want to threaten the club with ruin off ye go.What is more important for ye success (not guarenteed by money) or the club staying in existence.

No offence but do one, you are Hundred of Thousands in the Red we are not, we are in Europe and and the setanta your club is not. We are entitled to a bigger budget than you. Most clubs would be considering how much you owe.

Jeebus
30/01/2009, 11:00 AM
Let the real business people of Sligo come in and give it a shot they cant do any worse then whats there now can they?:mad::mad::mad

i'm not defending the board but that is an utter shoite statement. The business people are not exactly lining up to have a go. Was that not Tony McGee's proposal which, surprise surprise, nothing came of.

Jesus maybe its just me but i won't be moving on this easy, i want an answer of why exactly this came about first. And i would like to know if it is true, why a good man like V.Nally has left the club ! Or if it is true why Boco was being sold behind Cook's back to Derry !

Its a joke we have no idea what players are even at the club, you used to get more information coming out from the old Iron curtain than whats coming from the Showgrounds at the moment. Its happened so fast that there seems to have been no effort to keep him even, and would like to know why. I feel fairly disrespected as a fan at the moment after the effort we made last season to help the club.

Agree 100% with you RM.

A face
30/01/2009, 11:16 AM

Exactly, a bit of over reaction right now i think. I will say its concerning that Cookie left, i'd want to know why but its not like you cant get another manager in that time. And there are a few around.

Take Alan Matthews, it might be good to occupy his time ;)

sligofan4ever
30/01/2009, 11:18 AM
Shocking news, came on here this morning hoping for some transfer news and I see this. Couldn't have left at a worse time, hopefully those players that have apparently agreed contracts is confirmed soon, don't want to lose out on new players that we were looking forward too. Someone previously said he may take Chris Butler with him, unfortunatly this will probably happen, aswell as Danny Ventre going with him to at some point. We could'nt have asked for a better manager, especially for this coming season. Its a disgrace that by the sounds of things, the board did very little to keep him here, I do hope however they appoint someone who will be as good as Cook.

Rovers Maniac
30/01/2009, 11:29 AM
Exactly, a bit of over reaction right now i think. I will say its concerning that Cookie left, i'd want to know why but its not like you cant get another manager in that time. And there are a few around.

Take Alan Matthews, it might be good to occupy his time ;)

Listen best manager the club has had in ages walks out in pre-season with rumors that another v.important member of the club walking out with him and you are telling us we are over-reacting. Then leave some dry auld remark on the end of your post, you're taking the you know what out of us !

Edit: Will be interesting whats comes out in the next few days.

Ballagh Red
30/01/2009, 11:49 AM
Gutted when I seen this. I think we all knew that like Seamie Paul was going to end up going to a bigger club. Though with us in europe and the setanta cup I felt he would have stayed another couple of seasons to show what he could do. Thanks for the memories Paul and the best of luck where ever you end up. As for the posters threatening to stay away from the Showgrounds or handing back season tickets, how is that going to help Rovers? Surely we're Sligo Rovers supporters first and foremost and they'll still be here long after committee members and managers have moved on. We didn't raise those funds last season just to walk away now. Vive le Bit O' Red.

Rovers Maniac
30/01/2009, 11:53 AM
Gutted when I seen this. I think we all knew that like Seamie Paul was going to end up going to a bigger club. Though with us in europe and the setanta cup I felt he would have stayed another couple of seasons to show what he could do. Thanks for the memories Paul and the best of luck where ever you end up. As for the posters threatening to stay away from the Showgrounds or handing back season tickets, how is that going to help Rovers? Surely we're Sligo Rovers supporters first and foremost and they'll still be here long after committee members and managers have moved on. We didn't raise those funds last season just to walk away now. Vive le Bit O' Red.

Sorry Ballagh maybe you know something we don't here but has he walked for another club?

Ballagh Red
30/01/2009, 12:08 PM
Sorry Rovers Maniac for the misunderstanding. I should have phrased it better. Just meant to say he'll move on in the future.

dublinred
30/01/2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry Ballagh maybe you know something we don't here but has he walked for another club?

He's got the Liverpool job they are just negotiating Rafas severence will be on sky sports shortly....

Back on topic - fairly shocked but not surprised Cook has left ,felt the writing was on the wall when I read the budget thread on here reckon there was a big head to head over his comments , surprised nobody has been blaming the FAI for rejecting the budget we get a licence and then lose the best manager we had in ages whcih is bound to have a drastic knock-on affect the the performances/attendences this season.

Rovers1
30/01/2009, 12:58 PM
Wonder how far down the line the MC were on agreeing a new deal with Paul and Gerry???Or had they forgotten all about them too.

Real Rover
30/01/2009, 1:05 PM
Sligo Rovers assistant manager Gerry Carr has informed Ocean fm sport this afternoon that contrary to reports on the RTE Soccer pages, he will not be taking charge of team matters on a temporary basis.
Gerry Carr has asked Ocean fm to quote the following statement from him and I quote, ‘If Paul Cooke has left the club, and I hope he hasn’t, then I will also be leaving the club’.

sligored
30/01/2009, 1:07 PM
I wont be sitting my arse in the showgrounds this year.And a few more of my mate,s are the same.Unless Toolan and his crew are gone.Enough is enough with these MUPPETS now!Were a laughing stock again looking for a new manager with only 2 days left in the window and no Manager.Well done Mr chairman.I really thought this year we could do something with Cook.But the truth is as long as these Muppets are up there we are allways going to be a small club!Let the real business people of Sligo come in and give it a shot they cant do any worse then whats there now can they?:mad::mad::mad

are you one of those people who will support rovers through thick and thin, good times and bad times.

if paul cook thinks our budget is too small and refuses to work within it , then it is time for him to go. thats his decision.

all the rumours regarding boco and seamie are unsubstantiated as of yet so i dont think all the blame can lie at the feet of the mc.

i must say the lack of information from rover officials is mind boggling.

Good luck Paul. Thanks for the memories.

Rovers1
30/01/2009, 1:08 PM
‘If Paul Cook has left the club, and I hope he hasn’t, then I will also be leaving the club’.

Christ, you'd think Carr would be in the know. Not even the assistant knows whats going on!

red bellied
30/01/2009, 1:11 PM
Sligo Rovers assistant manager Gerry Carr has informed Ocean fm sport this afternoon that contrary to reports on the RTE Soccer pages, he will not be taking charge of team matters on a temporary basis.
Gerry Carr has asked Ocean fm to quote the following statement from him and I quote, ‘If Paul Cooke has left the club, and I hope he hasn’t, then I will also be leaving the club’.

The two were always a pair. Once Batman left, Robin was sure to follow. Get them back we want a sequel.

red metal
30/01/2009, 2:39 PM
i'm not defending the board but that is an utter shoite statement. The business people are not exactly lining up to have a go. Was that not Tony McGee's proposal which, surprise surprise, nothing came of.

Im on about people like Eamon Cunningham Enda Scanlon people like those guys who have been trying to get on the board.If you were in business would you give Sligo Rovers current board money?The reason nothing came of Tonys idea is because of the board!I know at least 3 business men in sligo town who laughed there heads off at the thought of giving Rovers Current board money.

Fivesilver
30/01/2009, 2:50 PM
are you one of those people who will support rovers through thick and thin, good times and bad times.

if paul cook thinks our budget is too small and refuses to work within it , then it is time for him to go. thats his decision.

Hard to disagree. People saying they won't go to games because of this need to get a grip. Sligo Rovers is more important than any individual player, manager or committee member. Go to the Showgies, support the club in whatever way you can.
It seems from what we know at the moment this could have been averted if the club had more money - no matter which way you slice it, this ultimately comes down to the supporters, be they individuals or businesses.
Some businesses in Sligo can be proud of how they have supported Rovers over the years. Many can't.
Similarly, the fans have done great at times over the years, but the response to the BORST €2 a week initiative has been an embarrassment.

Rovers will survive this. Maybe we'll have to give Chrissie Rutherford a shout to get us through the first round in Europe. :)

Sean South
30/01/2009, 3:01 PM
I was told last weekend to expect Cook to walk very soon.

All the best Cookie but no man is bigger then our club. Onwards and upwards for the Bit O' Red

sligoman
30/01/2009, 3:53 PM
This is an absolute disgrace. Somebody has to take the blame here and it aint Cook. Time for Toolan and the older members who are happy to use Rovers as something to argue about to go now, this is not acceptable.

The MC have a lot of questions to answer and Dermot Brannigan as PRO if you're not willing to give any 'further comment' then who is? Fans support the club through good and bad times, even last season the amount of money the fans raised and you have the cheek to say 'no further comment' as if we're just to support this and move on. Not a chance, the fans will want answers here and someone will have to give them.

This had the potential to be the best season in a long time and now everything is gone belly-up with Cook gone. We as fans should not just lie down and accept it, as the board would like us to do.

sligofan4ever
30/01/2009, 4:04 PM
This is an absolute disgrace. Somebody has to take the blame here and it aint Cook. Time for Toolan and the older members who are happy to use Rovers as something to argue about to go now, this is not acceptable.

The MC have a lot of questions to answer and Dermot Brannigan as PRO if you're not willing to give any 'further comment' then who is? Fans support the club through good and bad times, even last season the amount of money the fans raised and you have the cheek to say 'no further comment' as if we're just to support this and move on. Not a chance, the fans will want answers here and someone will have to give them.

This had the potential to be the best season in a long time and now everything is gone belly-up with Cook gone. We as fans should not just lie down and accept it, as the board would like us to do.

Good statement Sligoman. I agree with you about "no further comment" the fans are entitled to know whats going on to some extent, and if they leave us in the dark for too long eventually fans will turn on them.

forza rovers
30/01/2009, 5:20 PM
its a joke!i have heard that part of it was that the committee wanted to get rid of boco because of he was on big money.

dong
30/01/2009, 5:25 PM
Very disappointing news alright. I thought things looked a bit suspect when Cook came out with his statement. I was slated on the other thread for saying i'd question his motives but it's obvious now that he was setting the scene to go.
Going to be tough to pick up the pieces after this. However, I'll still be getting my arse to the showgrounds whenever I'm back next season and I hope most people feel the same.
The answer doesn't lie in staying away. The club must be the most important thing. That doesn't mean the fans don't deserve an explanation about what went on.

Inside Man
30/01/2009, 5:30 PM
Okay but that doesn't mean Cook walks out.
Surely they can sit down with manager and Chairman discuss it; that the club has the option of getting rid of Boco on 1.2k and then can sign 2 new players on 600per week', And Cook has the final say wether he wants that or not. If it went down any differently it was either an over reaction of Cook or the MC gave him no choice which if true is just stupid so I'm sure they obvioulsy didn't do this.

To be honest this is just imo i think Cook was looking for an exuse to get out of the club and he used this as fuel for the fire and now the board are stunned and haven't a clue whats going on as all they did was just let cook aware of the posibility.. However this is just a hunch and i still think there has to be changes NOW in this MC.

RGMY
30/01/2009, 5:44 PM
well inside man if you are not involved on the committee which i doubt you are well put yourself forward for nomination at the next agm. All the posts in the world arent going to change things. "get involved properly and change things that way"

forza rovers
30/01/2009, 5:46 PM
he would also come back in a heart beat if the issue was resolved!

A face
30/01/2009, 5:58 PM
Listen best manager the club has had in ages walks out in pre-season with rumors that another v.important member of the club walking out with him and you are telling us we are over-reacting. Then leave some dry auld remark on the end of your post, you're taking the you know what out of us !

Alright i can see how you would think that to be fair but i was not trying to do anything bar maybe have people calm down a small bit. I know ye are probably freaked out, we were in the same boat (well worse actually) a few years back so i know the sceal.

mint sauce
30/01/2009, 6:04 PM

hopefully, but how likely is that (the issue being resolved that is), shocked and very disapointed at this news, especaily with the fantastic postition we found our selfs in with europe and the setanta cup,

can see a few players following cookie to where ever he goes, hopefully the ones who stay along with the ones who came in give it a good go, and proove that they are worthy and deserve to be playing in both europe and the setanta

just hope the board can find someone of pauls calabire and make good of the situation we are now in

finally to you cookie, thanks for bringing the bit o red this far, and good luck to what ever you choose to do in the future

srfc1928
30/01/2009, 6:49 PM
If this is true, all paties should sit down and sort out a compromise.
At the end of the day everyone wants whats best for Rovers.Mistakes were made and things were said in the heat of the moment, but no one has died, surely this can be sorted out.

Red4Eva
30/01/2009, 7:06 PM
cook was on the phone to gerry farry earlier. said that he's willing to stay if he has 16 players(currently has 14). think he sat down with toolan and mary mcgowan yesterday and they proposed letting 2 of our better players go so we could bring in 4 lesser players. cook said he's not willing to do that and sounded like that decision will be forced upon any prospective new manager or else will be done before a new one takes over. so we can say goodbye to boco(derry) and peersy(bohs, pat's or shams) and look forward to a relegation battle and s**t crowds. cook sounded absolutely heatbroken that it's come this but sounded like he would defo stay if something could be sorted

sligoman
30/01/2009, 7:17 PM
We really can't let this happen, losing Boco AND Peers like ffs that's crazy.