PDA

View Full Version : Favourite bits of commentary

hula4
29/01/2009, 12:12 AM
Was listening to news talk earlier and they were asking people what their favourite bit of commentary of all time and i thought it would be an interesting thread here.

I loved Barry Davies commentary on Gazza's free kick against Arsenal in the 1991 fa cup semi final at wembley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMaIUSeRxA&feature=related

and of course George Hamilton's "A nation holds its breath"

Apologies if its in the wrong category

osarusan
29/01/2009, 12:21 AM
A piece of commentry which has been endlessly imitated here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs)

I loved both Jimmy Magee's and Martin Tyler's commentary for Maradona's second against England in 1986, and also Tyler's commentary for Collymore's goal in the first 4-3 Liverpool vs Newcastle game.

There's a great clip on youtube somewhere from a Dutch commentator after Bergkamp has just knocked Argentina out of the 1998 world cup.

John83
29/01/2009, 12:40 AM
Too many to choose from.

One memorable one cames from Euro 2000, when Belgium's keeper, de Wilde, came a remarkable distance off his line to clothesline an opposition winger. A leading Belgian commentator's disbelieving reaction got him fired, "You c***, you c***." I'm struggling to find a video of it though.

rambler14
29/01/2009, 1:03 AM
HcSt08-Qy50

Hands down winner!!! No contest, close thread!...................turn it up loud to really appreciate it!

This one comes really close though, imagine being a United fan driving home listening to this:

frX68nFSmR4

noby
29/01/2009, 7:25 AM
Bjørge Lillelien's classic:

"We are the best in the world! We are best in the world! We have beaten England 2-1 in football!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten England! England, birthplace of giants. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?" "Maggie Thatcher, I have a message to you in the middle of the election campaign. I have a message to you: We have knocked England out of the World Cup of football. Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Dodge
29/01/2009, 9:05 AM
A second vote for Jimmy magee on the Maradona goal "Different class…"

In other sports, Phil Liggett describing Stephen Roche's recovery on Alp D'huez in the 1987 Tour and Roche's victory in the 87 World Championships are all time favourites.

All 3 available on youtube

Pike B
29/01/2009, 9:25 AM
Hate Andy Gray but as a Liverpool fan, his 'You Beauty' moment when Gerrard scored the vital goal against Olympiakos is up there for me..

Lionel Ritchie
29/01/2009, 9:50 AM
"It's unbelieveable. He's pulling him off! Javier Clemente is pulling off his captain!"

gustavo
29/01/2009, 10:18 AM
Declan Drakes commentary on when Ndo scored against Hajduk Split

Dodge
29/01/2009, 10:23 AM
Declan Drakes commentary on when Ndo scored against Hajduk Split

I think it was Rogers. And tbh it was more of a fan losing control thana great piece of commentary

HarpoJoyce
29/01/2009, 10:29 AM
Alan Green Radio Five Live
"...And Kevin Nolan, the young Irishman...uh.....well with a name like Kevin Nolan he should be Irish."

OwlsFan
29/01/2009, 10:41 AM
and of course George Hamilton's "A nation holds its breath"

I keep meaning to look at the original tape of the game to see did he say that or was that added on at a later date.

Hate Andy Gray but as a Liverpool fan, his 'You Beauty' moment when Gerrard scored the vital goal against Olympiakos is up there for me..

A regular saying of old horsehead I am afraid.

gustavo
29/01/2009, 10:57 AM
I think it was Rogers. And tbh it was more of a fan losing control thana great piece of commentary

ah fair enough , I just remember him shouting Jospeh NDOOOO , Then singing along to the music they played when they scored :)

Schumi
29/01/2009, 11:01 AM
Ndo set up the second goal, Rogers scored the first. There are commentary clips of both on the Shels website. Definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard them before.

noby
29/01/2009, 11:05 AM
I keep meaning to look at the original tape of the game to see did he say that or was that added on at a later date.

Some very cynical thinking there, Owl.

kingdom hoop
29/01/2009, 11:30 AM
Some very cynical thinking there, Owl.

I'd nearly go so far as to say very very very cynical thinking. I've always felt owls are suited to being critical, but never cynical.

There's a great clip on youtube somewhere from a Dutch commentator after Bergkamp has just knocked Argentina out of the 1998 world cup.

As it happens, that bit of excitable commentary was recently fossilised into music when rather delightfully incorporated in the middle of a song by the artist Midfield General (great name!) called 'Dennis And My Sister'.
No clips of song seem to be available though... pity as it's a nice tune, though probably not as good as the goal. :)

EAFC_rdfl
29/01/2009, 12:46 PM
As it happens, that bit of excitable commentary was recently fossilised into music when rather delightfully incorporated in the middle of a song by the artist Midfield General (great name!) called 'Dennis And My Sister'.
No clips of song seem to be available though... pity as it's a nice tune, though probably not as good as the goal. :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0
its brilliant!

Ash
29/01/2009, 12:57 PM
Not football, but Darts ... Sid Waddell .. “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.”

Noelys Guitar
30/01/2009, 8:55 PM
Got to be Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore at the races. Brilliant stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpRcRCUKsY

gustavo
30/01/2009, 11:40 PM
A piece of commentry which has been endlessly imitated here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs)

I loved both Jimmy Magee's and Martin Tyler's commentary for Maradona's second against England in 1986, and also Tyler's commentary for Collymore's goal in the first 4-3 Liverpool vs Newcastle game.

3bGv7ltJGPA

stojkovic
31/01/2009, 3:35 PM
Any commentary that ends with the words "England nil".

Réiteoir
31/01/2009, 4:06 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0
its brilliant!

Who scored there? ;)

For me - it's two bits in the same game - NRK's Arne Scheie during the Norway vs Brazil in the 1998 World Cup:

"Vi har scoret i Marseille! Vi har scoret mot Brasil. Vi har scoret ved Tore André Flo. Jeg tror det ikke! Flonaldo i Marseille og for en oppreisning for supporterne. 1-1, ikke noe er umulig i fotball. Vi har aldri tapt for Brasil!" - when Tore Andre Flo equalised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzAsqveT0w - Rekdal in the last minute with a penalty

And my favourite bit of radio commentary - Bryon Butler on BBC Radio during the England - Argentina match in the 86 World Cup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/bestcommentary/audio/peter_jones.ram

""Maradona... Turns like a little eel..."

MariborKev
31/01/2009, 7:48 PM
Richie Kelly on BBC Radio Foyle during a Bohs v Derry game during the Treble season.

I'll try and dig out the relevant audio from somewhere.

Pike B
02/02/2009, 4:02 PM
3bGv7ltJGPA
Thats the best ever!! :D:D

Neish
03/02/2009, 10:07 AM
An absolute classic

PqZTP8-8wIs

Metrostars
03/02/2009, 5:08 PM
Best ever was Phillip Green:

And Bohs have ****in scored

Also, Ray Hudson is always a laugh whenever I watch Gol TV in the US:
"A gift from the Gods"
oQjVr5H-9vo

"there's gonna be some lovin going on tonight in the bedrooms of Madrid" and "braver than a matador in high heels in a pink tutu"
499TYSKaxKY

Starts fighting with his co-commentator when the camera goes on Tom Cruise "If he smelled a soccer jockstrap, he'd fade dead away"
3x7gu-7WXvI

the 12 th man
03/02/2009, 6:01 PM
In other sports, Phil Liggett describing Stephen Roche's recovery on Alp D'huez in the 1987 Tour and Roche's victory in the 87 World Championships are all time favourites.

One of my favs,"Is that Stephen Roche,yes its STEPHEN ROCHE !!!",i believe his waxwork head from the old waxwork hall of fame in Dublin is still missing:D

Seano
03/02/2009, 9:17 PM
- Jimmy Magee' s ' Dead Eye Dick Stapleton' on Stapos equaliser in the 3:3 draw v Spain at Lansdowne

- 'he's gonna flick one, he's gonna flick one', (cant remember commentators name) on Koemans retaken freekick in the 2 nil win by Holland V England in 93 I think,

Den Perry
04/02/2009, 1:19 PM
what was that legendary Philip Greene gaffe years ago? I think Bohs equalised against the SuperHoops in the last minute and he said something like "Bohs have f...... equalised"

Anybody know exactly what he said?

Metrostars
04/02/2009, 7:35 PM
what was that legendary Philip Greene gaffe years ago? I think Bohs equalised against the SuperHoops in the last minute and he said something like "Bohs have f...... equalised"

Anybody know exactly what he said?

^^ Look 4 posts up ^^

robertob
09/02/2009, 10:24 PM
Nothing could be better than this - legendary...

Qu6RXU2j--M

Bottle of Tonic
10/02/2009, 12:59 PM
I dunno, them French lads shrieking is a bit much. The Dennis Bergkamp one is the best. Thats exactly the way you'd be too!

One man immediately jumped into my head. The immortal Willie Hegarty of shannonside radio.
But the co-commentator here takes the biscuit with his whooping and crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWUHwA9-_Bo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOPibkfRNI

And this is all for an under 18's competition. :D

Macy
10/02/2009, 1:17 PM
One of my favs,"Is that Stephen Roche,yes its STEPHEN ROCHE !!!"
That was at La Plagne.

Dodge
10/02/2009, 1:49 PM
Yep, spot on Macy. My mistake

Metrostars
11/02/2009, 2:43 PM
One of my favs,"Is that Stephen Roche,yes its STEPHEN ROCHE !!!",i believe his waxwork head from the old waxwork hall of fame in Dublin is still missing:D

sQojh-wqL04
Dramatic stuff indeed

TonyD
12/02/2009, 11:43 PM
Not football, but Jimmy Magee again, as John Treacy came into the home straight to win a silver medal at the 1984 olympics. Jimmy listed every one of Irelands prevous silver medal winners and finished with Treacy just as he crossed the line. A sublime piece of timing.

(I remember another Magee classic during an Ireland France game at Landsdowne (could have been the 1981 encounter) He described one long haired Frenchman as having " A head like an unmade bed":D)

Dodge
13/02/2009, 12:21 AM
Magee actually named every single Irish medal winner (of any colur) in the Olympics. Great stuff.