PDA

View Full Version : Kevin & Liam Send Off

Peadar
19/11/2003, 11:38 AM
Gerry Smith has included two eircom League players in his team to meet Paraguay in tonight's under-20 friendly match against Paraguay at Richmond Park, Inchicore, (kick-off 7.30 p.m.)

Bray Wanderers' Eamonn Zayed and our very own Kevin Doyle will form the strike force.

With two wins out of two since succeeding Brian Kerr as manager, boss Gerry Smith will be hoping that the side can continue their run all the way to World Cup glory.

And he has told the players that good performances against Paraguay will be rewarded with starting places in the opening World Cup game against Saudi Arabia on November 29.

“We’ll be giving everyone a chance. The last few games have been about picking the squad, now it’s about picking the team,” he said.

“We’ve worked them hard in training and fair play to all the lads, they’ve responded.

“I don’t know yet who will play against the Saudis and that is why all of them should know that every place in the team is up for grabs.”

The full team is :

Wayne Henderson (Aston Villa); Glenn Whelan (Manchester City), Captain, John Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Stephen Capper (Scarborough); Willo Flood (Manchester City), David Bell (Rushden and Diamonds), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Michael Foley (Liverpool); Eamonn Zayed (Bray Wanderers), Kevin Doyle (Cork City).

Hopefully Liam will get a run out.
So, is anyone going up to Richer?

Content taken from FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/58C2B203-C1E5-476C-93F9-C9A2B928B884.htm)

pete
19/11/2003, 12:22 PM
So, is anyone going up to Richer?

I could be convinced if any other takers...

Peadar
19/11/2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by pete
any other takers...

Pete I had a choice between doing some work this evening and missing tonights game or waiting until Friday and then missing the Shels game. Needless to say I can't make the U20 game tonight.

Does anyone know if there'll be TV coverage of the U20 tournament?

SÓC
19/11/2003, 1:19 PM
Im going to head along to the U20 match.

I think Eric said he might be going to.

It'd be nice to have a city gang there to cheer on Doyler and Liam.

Eric
19/11/2003, 2:39 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the game tonight

Troy.McClure
19/11/2003, 4:17 PM
Cant make it either, sorry Pete. Sure the stewards in Richer are great anyway, they'll look after you. They'll be the FAI stewadrs tonight:eek:

pete
19/11/2003, 5:35 PM
2 it is so.

Will be back with scout report here manana if i survive Inchicore ;)

Peadar
20/11/2003, 9:41 AM
Ireland lost 0-1 last night.

"The game was a decent excercise for Smith who used 19 players during the game with only Willo Flood and Stephen Kelly completing the full 90 minutes and many of the players involved made strong cases for inclusion when the World Cup begins.

With two wins out of two this season, Ireland started brightly with the midfield taking control of the game while Flood and strikers, Kevin Doyle and Eamon Zayed, were getting plenty of joy down the right hand side.

Doyle shot into the side netting after cutting in from the right in the eighth minute while Flood was beating his marker almost at will though, too often, crosses were being cut out by Paraguay’s commanding central defensive pair of Oscar Diaz and Angel Martinez.

Against the run of play, Paraguay took the lead in the 26th minute in a move between Avalos and Julio dos Santos put Avalos through on goal and he drew Wayne Henderson before slipping the ball across the face of goal for Nelson Romero to slide home.
Stephen Kelly was just off target with a free header from a Liam Kearney right-wing corner moments later, but the number of substitutions had an adverse affect as the game wore on with Ireland losing their rhythm and Paraguay were able to deal comfortably with the endless stream of crosses being delivered into their box. "

Extracts taken from FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Welcome+to+the+FAI%21.htm)

How our boys featured:
Jonathon Daly (Stockport County) for Kevin Doyle (Cork City) (half time),
Liam Kearney (Cork City) for Michael Foley (Liverpool) (half time)

How the other eL lads featured:
Stephen Elliott (Manchester City) for Eamonn Zayed (Bray Wanderers) (half time),
Sean Dillon (Longford Town) for Stephen Capper (Scarborough)(55 mins),
Keith Fahey (St Patrick’s Athletic) for Darren Potter (Liverpool)(59 mins)

pete
20/11/2003, 10:46 AM
Doyle & particularily Zayed played very well in first half. Definitely better than Daly & Elliot in the 2nd half. Daly particularily poor - young Gary Doherty.

Flood is defo the start of the team. Kelly as captain seemed poor, Kearney did much better than the left winger from the first half. Capper at centre back looked good too.

Ireland clipped the bar twice before conceeding the goal.

Paraguay big physical side & Ireland much better playing good football. Fahy came on in second half & not great. Paraguay had guy stretched off in 2nd half too.

jofyisgod
20/11/2003, 5:32 PM
Our lads sounded pretty good. Just like to wish them all the best- lets hope they learn alot out there and come back as better players for next season.