PDA

View Full Version : "Budget Could Make It Impossible To Run Team"

Pages : [1] 2

akearins
28/01/2009, 11:40 AM
Budget could 'make it impossible' to run team (http://www.thebitored.com/?p=540)

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 12:14 PM
“Personally speaking, at the end of the season I think it would be more important to have a trophy in the cabinet than money in the bank.
The league in a nutshell.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 12:21 PM
The league in a nutshell.

But you do have to ask what is the point in having a team just to make a profit, we have the base of a decent team. If i was Cook i would be very frustrated with the way this has gone on.

gufct
28/01/2009, 12:22 PM
every other team is in the same boat and Our own Budget has been cut almost in half to make sure we survive. The likes of Cork,Pats,Dundalk and Rovers seem to have the biggest budgets and with both Pats and Cork having serious financial troubles this year I can one of these clubs hiiting troubles early this season.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 12:27 PM
One of the problems I can imagine is if our budget is 8,000 per week for example, with 5,200 for player wages, and we have 8 players from last season signed up at 500 per week, that's 4,000 of that 5,200 already used up.

Do we then sign 3 players at 400pw? 4 players at 300? 5 part-timers at 240pw?
The only alternative then is to re-arrange existing contracts for less money, which isn't likely to go down well with players.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 12:28 PM
every other team is in the same boat and Our own Budget has been cut almost in half to make sure we survive. The likes of Cork,Pats,Dundalk and Rovers seem to have the biggest budgets and with both Pats and Cork having serious financial troubles this year I can one of these clubs hiiting troubles early this season.

Pats haven't had any financial troubles this year. We budgeted for a loss, and actually made less of a loss than we planned for.

This yer, they're not planning on such a big loss.

Maniac is right. Winning trophies is the only thing a football manager should think about. Surviving, and developing, is what a board should think about. I'd rather win the league and breakeven than make €100k in profit and finish 2nd

Mr A
28/01/2009, 12:37 PM
I had great respect for Paul Cook, but to be demanding more money in the current climate, after Sligo having to do what they did last year, is irresponsible. It's incredible that so many people seem incapable of learning anything from what has gone on around the league.

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 12:39 PM
But you do have to ask what is the point in having a team just to make a profit,
Was a profit budgeted for? If it'll lose, to make up a figure, E5k a week to run the team per the original budget, then the FAI are right to veto it. Long-term, the club has to break even, otherwise you have a club winning the league one year and being gone the next.

Can understand Cook wanting more money, for Dodge's reasons. But you have to imagine he at least understands the board's view (or in this case, the FAI's view). Presumably he's asked quietly for more money before deciding to go public?

Where was the article originally? Or who was he talking to?

passerrby
28/01/2009, 12:42 PM
I agree i have great admiration for cookie and any managers sole concern must be winning but to make a statement like it should be more important to have throphies in the cabinet than money in the bank is to say the least very niave

red bellied
28/01/2009, 12:50 PM
I agree i have great admiration for cookie and any managers sole concern must be winning but to make a statement like it should be more important to have throphies in the cabinet than money in the bank is to say the least very niave

He never said he wanted to bankrupt Rovers. He doesnt understand the mentality of 100,000 in the bank and finishing trophyless. Breaking even and wining a trophy sounds better. As Cookie says less budget means ordinary players compared to better players. This will have knock on effect on the crowds and possibly other incomes as well.

noby
28/01/2009, 12:52 PM
Surely there's a difference between running a team and winning trophys. Then again " ‘make it impossible’ to run team" doesn't appear to be a direct quote from Cook.

Of course, you could also say "Budget Could Make It Impossible To Run full time Team".

Schumi
28/01/2009, 12:55 PM
He never said he wanted to bankrupt Rovers. He doesnt understand the mentality of 100,000 in the bank and finishing trophyless.That makes perfect sense but where did the idea of there being 100k in the bank come from? I'd assume that the approved budget aims at breaking even or paying off any remaining debts rather than racking up a (pretty considerable) profit for the year.

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 12:55 PM
He doesnt understand the mentality of 100,000 in the bank and finishing trophyless. Breaking even and wining a trophy sounds better.
The article doesn't mention £100,000 in the bank or breaking even though?

neutrino
28/01/2009, 1:02 PM
I'm sure the Rovers board would love to break even and compete for trophies, so its not a question of holding onto money. In fairness to the MC, they have always try to make the maximum amount possible available to the manager. Our budget is what it is becuase that's what the club can realise financially over the course of next season. Maybe we have found our level now instead of over budgeting. Cook making these comments is fine if there was x amount more lying about but there's nothing extra in the coffers so a bit pointless as there's no more money. If the club did make more money during the season than anticipated then i've no doubt they will give it to Cook.

The club being stable and not weighed down with debt is most important thing. There should be a focus on bringing throug young players to supplement the squad now. I still think we can do well next season, but that would depend on being very lucky with injuries and suspensions.

red bellied
28/01/2009, 1:04 PM
The article doesn't mention £100,000 in the bank or breaking even though?

Its a generalisation, obviously thats what he is getting at. Read no where that he wanted to bankrupt the club either, unlike some think on here.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 1:05 PM
However its very possible that a club could have access to thousands, but not be allowed spend them on wages under the 65% salary protocol. Nothing wrong with that IMO (and out of the Sligo board's control too)

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 1:06 PM
Its a generalisation, obviously thats what he is getting at.
100k profit is a remarkbale generalisation. I'd doubt any club in the league's history has ever made that in one year without selling their ground. I very much doubt Sligo have budgeted for it either, which is why people are asking where it came from in the first place.

Complaining about making 100k profit is grand; complaining about breaking even isn't. That's the query being raised - which is he complaining about?

out of the Sligo board's control too
Given the Sligo board's budget was rejected by the FAI, it seems fair to say they're not 100% calling the shots at present.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 1:24 PM
Given the Sligo board's budget was rejected by the FAI, it seems fair to say they're not 100% calling the shots at present.

The most recent budget was approved. I think that's the one he's complaining about.

red bellied
28/01/2009, 1:30 PM
100k profit is a remarkbale generalisation. I'd doubt any club in the league's history has ever made that in one year without selling their ground. I very much doubt Sligo have budgeted for it either, which is why people are asking where it came from in the first place.

Complaining about making 100k profit is grand; complaining about breaking even isn't. That's the query being raised - which is he complaining about?

Two budgets rejected by the FAI both well down on last years. Its a generalisation by me, probably should of worded it better but thats what Cook is getting at.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 1:47 PM
I had great respect for Paul Cook, but to be demanding more money in the current climate, after Sligo having to do what they did last year, is irresponsible. It's incredible that so many people seem incapable of learning anything from what has gone on around the league.

A bit rich from you, as you have stated you "hope Sligo Rovers crash and burn" on your Harps forum, your shoulder must be in pain carrying that big chip on it.

Ya if he was looking for 10k a week extra but i would say Cook is looking for an extra couple of thousand a week over the course of a season that is minute. Would love to know how exactly the FAI calculate each budget as there seems to be some budgets calculated more on expectations tahn others.

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 1:48 PM
The most recent budget was approved. I think that's the one he's complaining about.
Appreciate that; just wondering where the "What's the point of making a profit?" is coming from. Unless (quite possible) youz know more about the accepted budget than I do!

i would say Cook is looking for an extra couple of thousand a week over the course of a season that is minute
E2500 over a 39-week season is almost E100k to make up. That's hardly minute.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 1:58 PM
One of the problems I can imagine is if our budget is 8,000 per week for example, with 5,200 for player wages, and we have 8 players from last season signed up at 500 per week, that's 4,000 of that 5,200 already used up.

Do we then sign 3 players at 400pw? 4 players at 300? 5 part-timers at 240pw?
The only alternative then is to re-arrange existing contracts for less money, which isn't likely to go down well with players.

Thats a non runner for a start, you can't go down that road, as the likes of Boco could go back to England get the money he is on. The FAI are making the league into a local league, as budgets are now stupidly low you won't be able to attract anybody from outside into the league.

Mr A
28/01/2009, 2:00 PM
A bit rich from you, as you have stated you "hope Sligo Rovers crash and burn" on your Harps forum, your shoulder must be in pain carrying that big chip on it.

There is no contradiction between respecting Paul Cook and getting fed up with some of the crap from Sligo posters on this and our own forum to an extent where Rovers crashing and burning would amuse me.

In any case, that's entirely irrelevant to the point here- which is that clubs constantly stretching themselves in the (often vain) hope of success is exactly what has fecked our league right up.

redobit
28/01/2009, 2:03 PM
Lads, the way I see it is this:

For every 250 people we can get to sign up for the '€2 thing' the Trust are running - thats an extra player we can add to Cooks squad.

Whatever about the FAI, commitee, etc. that is definetly in the supporters hands

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 2:18 PM
There is no contradiction between respecting Paul Cook and getting fed up with some of the crap from Sligo posters on this and our own forum to an extent where Rovers crashing and burning would amuse me.

In any case, that's entirely irrelevant to the point here- which is that clubs constantly stretching themselves in the (often vain) hope of success is exactly what has fecked our league right up.

Your loving it you have been waiting for something like this and come in and have your two cents worth and the put the boot in. To be honest i think your just a jealous bitter, thats all. AN extra 2k a week is not going to strech :rolleyes: us our end of season budget last year did not strech us it actually helped us make a profit, now its cut by 15 to 20% according to Cook, bitter.

Bald Student
28/01/2009, 2:25 PM
An extra 2k per week adds up to almost exactly the amount Sligo had to emergency fund raise last year.

noby
28/01/2009, 2:34 PM
The FAI are making the league into a local league, as budgets are now stupidly low you won't be able to attract anybody from outside into the league.

Aah, so it's all the FAI's fault. Here I was thinking they were just trying to ensure budgets were realistic; not setting stupidly low budgets.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 2:35 PM
Thats a non runner for a start, you can't go down that road, as the likes of Boco could go back to England get the money he is on. The FAI are making the league into a local league, as budgets are now stupidly low you won't be able to attract anybody from outside into the league.

Budgets are not 'stupidly low', they are simply realistic now.

Maybe you enjoyed putting your hands even deeper into your pockets last summer, but I, and most others, certainly didn't. We don't want to do that again. Your posts consistently display a lack of understanding about the league and its financial state.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 2:42 PM
Yep, sorry i backed you up now Maniac. Budgets aren't being made to be low for the hell of it, they're bing made low as thats all clubs can afford

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 2:43 PM
An extra 2k per week adds up to almost exactly the amount Sligo had to emergency fund raise last year.

Hold on for a second sure that was because of much higher budgets, the end of season budget last year was never going to put us in that trouble.
What are we going to do build a new stand with this budget surplus and who the hell will want to come and watch if you can't aford to offer a decent wage. People would want to remember what the average industrial wage in Ireland is 33,000 a year (€634 a week), on the rumored budgets being handed out an 18 player squad the avg earner would about €550-580 well below that. What i would take from that is the FAI don't want full time football or just don't want to risk any bad publicity.

Bald Student
28/01/2009, 2:48 PM
Hold on for a second sure that was because of much higher budgets, the end of season budget last year was never going to put us in that trouble.
What are we going to do build a new stand with this budget surplus and who the hell will want to come and watch if you can't aford to offer a decent wage. People would want to remember what the average industrial wage in Ireland is 33,000 a year (€634 a week), on the rumored budgets being handed out an 18 player squad the avg earner would about €550-580 well below that. What i would take from that is the FAI don't want full time football or just don't want to risk any bad publicity.
Or that Sligo can't afford full time football.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 2:48 PM
Budgets are not 'stupidly low', they are simply realistic now.

Maybe you enjoyed putting your hands even deeper into your pockets last summer, but I, and most others, certainly didn't. We don't want to do that again. Your posts consistently display a lack of understanding about the league and its financial state.

Your 8k figure up above, where did yo get that out of ? Guess :D

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 2:49 PM
What are we going to do build a new stand with this budget surplus
What budget surplus?

What i would take from that is the FAI don't want full time football or just don't want to risk any bad publicity.
Or maybe - just maybe - they're tired of clubs offering full time football when they can't afford it.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 2:53 PM
Your 8k figure up above, where did yo get that out of ? Guess :D

It was a hypothetical example.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 2:55 PM
What budget surplus?

Or maybe - just maybe - they're tired of clubs offering full time football when they can't afford it.

But sure we showed we could afford the budget we ran the club on at the end of the season why could we not have this again? It is laughable, the aim of all this is the FAI set a budget that is so low it is not possible for a club to get into any trouble. Then at the end of the season they turn around, and tell us how they turned around the clubs and saved the league.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 2:57 PM
It was a hypothetical example.

Fair enough a wild guess !

Bald Student
28/01/2009, 3:05 PM
the aim of all this is the FAI set a budget that is so low it is not possible for a club to get into any trouble. Then at the end of the season they turn around, and tell us how they turned around the clubs and saved the league.
I actually agree with you here.

I'm an engineer by profession and it's a general principal with us that we should design bridges so strong that they could not possibly collapse. If the accountants worked the same way, the league and the rest of the world would be much better off.

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 3:11 PM
I actually agree with you here.

I'm an engineer by profession and it's a general principal with us that we should design bridges so strong that they could not possibly collapse. If the accountants worked the same way, the league and the rest of the world would be much better off.

Watch the crowds flock !

dublinred
28/01/2009, 3:14 PM
What budget surplus?

We own our ground and have no mortgage or rent to pay on it , most of our officers and stewards are voluntary so therefore its likely we will end up with a cash surplus from the 35% of income that has to be set aside.

Going back on topic I can understad Cooks frustrations as we were struggling numbers wise towards the end of the season and now have a lot more games to play with a small squad I expect the MC are also dissappointed with the budget approved by the FAI as they have been knocked down twice looks like the FAI din't trust the numbers submitted originally or else were just being overcautious and knocked a % off anyways.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 3:24 PM
Are people honestly saying they wouldn't know what to do with 35% of income not taken up by wages? jesus christ lads..

Rovers Maniac
28/01/2009, 3:26 PM
Well said LR, i don't think anybody want to put the club at jeopardy lads but you have to be able to run it. As Brian pompously suggested i must have enjoyed putting my hands in my pocket last year, i can tell you i certainly did not i had to make sacrifices to do so. I know the last thing the MC want is to have to go around asking the public of Sligo to save the club. But we were told that the money we were paying out was affordable at the end of the season and by all accounts the figures back this up. So why cut again? We have illustrated that we can run our football club on the last years end of season budget.

Mr A
28/01/2009, 3:30 PM
Because the economy is fecked and people and businesses have less disposable income than previously?

Bald Student
28/01/2009, 3:36 PM
Look at this bridge, it hasn't collapsed in the last three months and is therefore safe.

http://www.roverpowered.com/booyaah/ropics/PICT1239.JPG

brianw82
28/01/2009, 3:38 PM
Look at this bridge, it hasn't collapsed in the last three months and is therefore safe.

http://www.roverpowered.com/booyaah/ropics/PICT1239.JPG

Not only that, the fact that it can take that girl's weight surely means it can support the much-heavier jeep.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 3:43 PM
Watch the crowds flock !

So if we signed Joey Ndo and Glen Fitzpatrick (again, just an example of 2 out-of-contract players) on decent wages each, do you think this would significantly boost our crowds by a few hundred every two weeks? Most people would very much doubt it.

Bald Student
28/01/2009, 3:49 PM
Not only that, the fact that it can take that girl's weight surely means it can support the much-heavier jeep.Stress testing, LoI style!

pineapple stu
28/01/2009, 3:51 PM
Not only that, the fact that it can take that girl's weight surely means it can support the much-heavier jeep.
Sure an extra two tonnes is minute.

gustavo
28/01/2009, 3:52 PM
So if we signed Joey Ndo and Glen Fitzpatrick (again, just an example of 2 out-of-contract players) on decent wages each, do you think this would significantly boost our crowds by a few hundred every two weeks? Most people would very much doubt it.

They'd improve the team , therfore improving our league standing which in turn always boosts our attendances

Dodge
28/01/2009, 3:54 PM
They'd improve the team , therfore improving our league standing which in turn always boosts our attendances

You think they'd improve the team? jeeezzzz...

redobit
28/01/2009, 3:57 PM

No, but it would mean is that we are more likely to do better, and thus make more money. This addittional would then pay additional players wages. Therefore at the end of the season you become what is called 'cost neutral'.