PDA

View Full Version : Recession? GAA €500,000 on fireworks

Scram
27/01/2009, 1:17 PM
The GAA are spending €.5 million on fireworks for the Croke Park NFL opener Tyrone v Dublin.

Preposterous.

And, the company they sourced the fireworks from are an English Comapny despite two Irish companies being available.

Youths4Ever
28/01/2009, 1:44 PM
The GAA are spending €.5 million on fireworks for the Croke Park NFL opener Tyrone v Dublin.

Preposterous.

And, the company they sourced the fireworks from are an English Comapny despite two Irish companies being available.

it is there money can spend it how then like but should have used an Irish company alright.

noby
28/01/2009, 1:53 PM
Can ye explain why exactly they should use an Irish company? I wasn't part of the committee that put this out to tender, but I can only assume they have valid reasons for choosing one company over the rest.

Plus, I'd imagine it has more to do with their 125 year celebration than just marking the beginning of the NFL.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 1:56 PM
Plus, I'd imagine it has more to do with their 125 year celebration than just marking the beginning of the NFL.

It does. I'm no GAA lover (far, far from it) but if they feel like spending their money on this then so be it.

However their use of a British based company doesn't really fit in with their "helping the local community" mantra.

I'd assume that they went for the best value for money (which is probably what they should be doing)

Oh and the title of the thread uses the word recession, surely we should be applauding the GAA for spending money and helping the economy

Schumi
28/01/2009, 2:32 PM
It's good to see that the controversial ban on foreign fireworks has been lifted.

pete
28/01/2009, 5:20 PM
It does. I'm no GAA lover (far, far from it) but if they feel like spending their money on this then so be it.

True.

Oh and the title of the thread uses the word recession, surely we should be applauding the GAA for spending money and helping the economy

Not sure how it will help the Irish economy as I assuming Chinese fireworks & English Firework "Engineers"?

paul_oshea
30/01/2009, 9:54 AM

Isn't it the taxpayers money Dodge?! ;) I think you and pete should have a say in this, I even think if both of you had set up a fireworks company they should use you.

They went for the cheapest. I have to agree though it goes against the mantra of everything being Irish, but the GAA Ive learn't like any non profit organisation will always go with the cheapest when push comes to shove.

Great post schumi :D

Macy
30/01/2009, 10:01 AM
They went for the cheapest. I have to agree though it goes against the mantra of everything being Irish, but the GAA Ive learn't like any non profit organisation will always go with the cheapest when push comes to shove.
They won't let their clubs go for foreign made kits though. They're full of contradictions though, so it's to be expected. Buy Irish, unless it effects profitablity of Croke Park, Ban foreign sports unless they can make millions from it....

noby
30/01/2009, 10:08 AM
They won't let their clubs go for foreign made kits though.

But Irish companies that manufacture in the Far East are ok. As you say, some of their contradictions are just silly.

Jinxy
31/01/2009, 9:21 PM
Money well spent.

irishultra
31/01/2009, 11:27 PM
yep brilliant.

Razors left peg
01/02/2009, 2:05 PM
Looked amazing. well worth it

drummerboy
02/02/2009, 8:10 AM
I was there with the kids. Well worth it. Amazing turnout. Its true we are a nation of event junkies.

Aberdonian Stu
02/02/2009, 10:23 AM
My brother and auntie were there. Both loved it.

Jinxy
02/02/2009, 11:23 AM
Some savage pictures in todays papers. I couldn't really see the external fireworks as I was in the upper hogan.
The canal end was the place to be.

paul_oshea
03/02/2009, 1:27 PM
Pete, what was wrong with the fireworks when you just happened to be switching through the channels and came upon this spectacle?

paul_oshea
03/02/2009, 1:27 PM
anyone got any pics for me? it was too cold to go down the pub to watch it on saturday :D

Jinxy
03/02/2009, 2:23 PM
The full light & firework display is up on the TV3 website Paul.

pete
03/02/2009, 2:35 PM
Pete, what was wrong with the fireworks when you just happened to be switching through the channels and came upon this spectacle?

I did not see it. I left the pub before it started. Saw picture on another forum.

elroy
09/02/2009, 3:57 PM
I was there with the kids. Well worth it. Amazing turnout. Its true we are a nation of event junkies.

So true!!

Other than football im an event junkie, I was at the France game on sat - first game of rugby in my life. Very good too. Interesting comparison to the football games, atmosphere was decent but not amazing by any means. Although very good when the fields of athenry were belted out, we really could do with a few more chants at our games, how about the fields, everyone knows it!!