PDA

View Full Version : FAI Reject Cobh Ground Purchase

Mr A
26/01/2009, 9:42 PM
All very strange, it seems the FAI feel they can't assist a club in this way any longer, although the door seems open after licensing is done...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0126/cobh.html

Longfordian
26/01/2009, 9:46 PM
They don't want other clubs in the same situation to be looking for the same deal I suppose. They could be looking at ways of helping Cobh or any other club without having to buy the ground, possibly go guarantor on loans or something. You'd have to expect all clubs to be treated equally. The statement doesn't seem too bullish about their chances of getting a Licence though.

rambler14
26/01/2009, 10:40 PM
We be fooked!:(

I understand why they rejected it though. If they helped us like the plan was, then what was to stop every club demanding this way out!

gael353
26/01/2009, 11:27 PM
We be fooked!:(

I understand why they rejected it though. If they helped us like the plan was, then what was to stop every club demanding this way out!

agreed but who paid Rovers legal bill vs Tomas Davis?? who ownes Bishopstown? United park? Dalymount park? how did drogs come up with a sudden couple of grand after talks with the FAI to settle with their players? i also think that if Cobh were on their own that the FAI would do the deal but there are so bloody many clubs in trouble (sorry making profit) that it would one be one after the other etc etc

its A league for cobh now and by right with this debt over their heads but wait that would mean making a decision to demote them.....:rolleyes:

bellavistaman
27/01/2009, 12:54 AM
A League would be fantastic at this moment were in big trouble. Good point about the other clubs getting money in past gael.

don ramo
27/01/2009, 7:17 AM
our licence is in order we have the tax clearance cert, our ground is premiership standard, we have no wages as of yet so that can be arranged to suit our needs be it amateur semi pro, whatever, but ill say this

we are not goin to enter the f***ing A league, how would any club pay back a debth with 100 fans at a game, at least first division rams would be guaranteed 3-400+,

i understand what the FAI are sayin, but we are not the first club to do this AFAIK bary done exactly what we wanted to do, and now there doing well,

Mr A
27/01/2009, 7:58 AM
Most of the deals mentioned above happened before licensing though.. I think it may have been the FAI's legal advisors that pointed out that if they helped Cobh to such an extent that possible legal action could follow from other clubs which may not get a license.

To me there is a slight suggestion in this that there could be real problems for some clubs with licensing.

Dodge
27/01/2009, 8:28 AM
To me there is a slight suggestion in this that there could be real problems for some clubs with licensing.

Its not that slight IMO. Pretty clear statement. Hopefully Coph can get their license and the FAi can then look at how to help them

A face
27/01/2009, 8:55 AM
Its not that slight IMO. Pretty clear statement.

We always knew this day would come. Some clubs will struggle with this big time and only sustainable clubs will survive. The thing is though, when Cobh live within their means they are a great club, its the in fighting and stuff thats been going on over the last while thats killing them. No club could do as well as they have with that amount of division. Neither side will back down.

GenerationXI
27/01/2009, 9:21 AM
The final paragraph would suggest it's not all over for Cobh. IMO the FAI shouldn't fund clubs directly. I do think they should maybe seek buyers/financiers for clubs in trouble, be they Irish or foreign, but directly financing our shambolic clubs is not the way to go. Sorry Cobh, if this happened to Limerick I'd be saying the same thing - it's just desserts. You have to live within your means.

6yardpunisha
27/01/2009, 12:06 PM
The final paragraph would suggest it's not all over for Cobh. IMO the FAI shouldn't fund clubs directly. I do think they should maybe seek buyers/financiers for clubs in trouble, be they Irish or foreign, but directly financing our shambolic clubs is not the way to go. Sorry Cobh, if this happened to Limerick I'd be saying the same thing - it's just desserts. You have to live within your means.

couldnt agree with you more

dcfcsteve
28/01/2009, 10:15 AM

Why should the FAI help clubs find financiers ? :confused:

Who should be the first recipient of any financier they can find ?

What would be in it in-return for the financiers ?

And how will bringing in outside money - that would inevitably leave again at some point, as it always does - add any stability to the league ?

Surely our clubs should bring in more money through their matchday and non-matchday activities - not through proverbial tooth fairies leaving a brown envelope under the pillow for them. Anything else would be unsustainable, and put the league in a worse posiiton, not better.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 10:21 AM
Surely our clubs should bring in more money through their matchday and non-matchday activities - not through proverbial tooth fairies leaving a brown envelope under the pillow for them. Anything else would be unsustainable, and put the league in a worse posiiton, not better.

The league is in dire need of serious investment. Providing money isn't spent on wages there is absolutely nothing wrong with outside investment. The money from within simply doens't exist

A face
28/01/2009, 10:53 AM
The league is in dire need of serious investment. Providing money isn't spent on wages there is absolutely nothing wrong with outside investment. The money from within simply doens't exist

Agreed with that. You have a point Steve, clubs need to be sustainable but i wouldn't be turning away investment at all. And i wouldn't knock the FAI for seeking it either, they are in a good (better) position to do so, so why not if its possible.

dcfcsteve
28/01/2009, 12:53 PM

'Investment' suggests a return. And as Arkaga - an investment vehicle - found out, it's extremely difficult to make a return on any investment in Irish football.

To avoid semantics : external private sector philantrophy would be useful - so long as it's not spent on wages. But I can't think of any example where substantial private money came into an LOI club without at least some of it going on wages one way or another.

Regardless - our league and clubs need to grow and build organically and patiently, not through sporadic bursts of private sector 'growth hormone'.

Dodge
28/01/2009, 1:03 PM
Regardless - our league and clubs need to grow and build organically and patiently, not through sporadic bursts of private sector 'growth hormone'.

They've had 100 years of that, and its done them no good. A cash injection is absolutely needed (to avoid semantics...) to pay for an upgrade to desperately basic facilities and overall club infrastructure

A face
28/01/2009, 1:15 PM
And as Arkaga - an investment vehicle - found out, it's extremely difficult to make a return on any investment in Irish football..

They invested nothing, not one cent. Arkaga are a basketcase Steve, i wouldn't be hinging your argument on them to be honest.

brianw82
28/01/2009, 1:35 PM
To avoid semantics : external private sector philantrophy would be useful - so long as it's not spent on wages. But I can't think of any example where substantial private money came into an LOI club without at least some of it going on wages one way or another.

Mick Wallace would be the closest thing to that, but I guess he's not really 'external'

don ramo
28/01/2009, 2:18 PM
whats needed is good business accume, the clubs need to be run just like a business, they should have weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly targets to meet, this is how some of the most succesfull clubs are run,

at the moment clubs will splure to win a league that pays E250k to the winner, and clubs have been spending way to much to win such a small amount, its quiet simple, if you forthnightly gates dont add up to 2 week wages, your losing money, simple as, if you have a fund set asise from fundrasieing well and good, but if not you go on your gate receipts,

a plan must be implemented to run teh club, 3-5 years , the first year will be the hardest as your getting your house in order, and the plan is to have some spare cash at the end of the year, then in year 2 you know how much you made in year 1 and can spend accordingly,

i think most clubs need a CEO who runs it more like a business than a football club, and not pushing for something that finanacially cant be acheived, fair enought youll probably win a league, but at what cost to your club

garyderry
28/01/2009, 2:26 PM
Mick Wallace would be the closest thing to that, but I guess he's not really 'external'

A lot more than the closest thing, considering he is bankrolling the entire project and they dont pay wages. He is the untimate perfect investor, and really passionate about the project too.

gael353
28/01/2009, 5:34 PM
Thomas Davis paid their own legal bill, and ours.

actually the GAA paid for Thomas Davis bill and yours after the FAI paid for your org defence

dcfcsteve
29/01/2009, 9:53 AM
They've had 100 years of that, and its done them no good. A cash injection is absolutely needed (to avoid semantics...) to pay for an upgrade to desperately basic facilities and overall club infrastructure

I'm not disputing that a cash injection is required.

What I am doing is challenging the arguement that the FAI should be out there looking for private sector investment (beyond sponsorship). Why should they ? What is in it for the private sector ? If they did find a willing investor with no particular club preferences, which club should they direct them towards ?

The FAI shoul by all means be seeking public-sector investment in Irish football. But this idea that they should be tapping up the private sector when there is nothing in it for them is fanciful at best.

dcfcsteve
29/01/2009, 9:55 AM
They invested nothing, not one cent. Arkaga are a basketcase Steve, i wouldn't be hinging your argument on them to be honest.

I just quoted them as an example though. The arguement stands on its own without that example.

osarusan
29/01/2009, 9:56 AM
If they did find a willing investor with no particular club preferences, which club should they direct them towards ?

Limerick.

osarusan
29/01/2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not disputing that a cash injection is required.

What I am doing is challenging the arguement that the FAI should be out there looking for private sector investment (beyond sponsorship). Why should they ? What is in it for the private sector ? If they did find a willing investor with no particular club preferences, which club should they direct them towards ?

The FAI shoul by all means be seeking public-sector investment in Irish football. But this idea that they should be tapping up the private sector when there is nothing in it for them is fanciful at best.

I think you and Dodge are saying basically the same thing though. This league needs cash, needs it badly, and there's not much around.

As you say, Steve, the word "investment" implies that you get something back eventually, and that is a rare case in LOI, and if it does happen it happens at the expense of the club who received the initial investment.

What we need is somebody who is willing to just give money to clubs, without getting anything back, or having control of the clubs. Somebody who will give even though there is really nothing in it for them or their business. Furthermore, we need that somebody to be willing to give their money for projects that don't involve throwing silly money at players, but rather focus on development of the club's facilities. And frankly, the likilhood of finding such a philanthropist is pretty slim indeed.

Dodge
29/01/2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry, in no way did I say the FAI should be out there searching for investment. As ever, osarusan has it spot on

Mr A
11/02/2009, 10:40 AM
Intersting what the reaction to this news from the Drogheda Forum is in Cobh:

Todays DI.
Says the FAI will be lodging Planning Permission in the next two weeks to install 1400 seats and proper toinet facilities at United Park.
Also says that the FAI has indicated that the club will be granted a derogation to play at United Park because of the planned work.
Work expected to take a few weeks and will be done between a couple of home games.

http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=12364

Seems hard to reconcile with their line on the Ramblers issue.

ndrog
11/02/2009, 10:50 AM
Why is it hard to reconcile .The fai own the ground .its simple , there ground they look after it .The bitchin Didnt take long .That article appeared on the drogs forum seconds ago ffs :eek:

micls
11/02/2009, 10:57 AM
Why is it hard to reconcile .The fai own the ground .its simple , there ground they look after it .The bitchin Didnt take long .That article appeared on the drogs forum seconds ago ffs :eek:

Rubbish and you know it.

Why didnt the FAi have any intentions of upgrading or helping you upgrade before then?

The FAI bought the ground as a favour, to help you out. They are under NO obligation to keep it up to whatever standard you need.

Theyre doing so simply because they dont want ye relegated.

Dont get me wrong, Im delighted to see them helping clubs out, but there is no difference between what theyre doing for ye and what they refused to do for Cobh. Remember 'We cant help teams get a license' or some rubbish like that

Mr A
11/02/2009, 11:00 AM
Because having refused to be seen to help Cobh gain a license, they're now going out of their way to do so for DUFC.

Makes you wonder too why all the money was spent chasing such a long shot when this was all that was needed.

How did the FAI come to own the ground by the way?

Jersey Cow
11/02/2009, 11:05 AM
Question for ndrog....what is the link to your Drogs forum pleeeeease???

sligoman
11/02/2009, 11:18 AM
Question for ndrog....what is the link to your Drogs forum pleeeeease???http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/login.php?redirect=viewforum.php&f=2&start=0

micls
11/02/2009, 11:22 AM
How did the FAI come to own the ground by the way?

Afaik, it was basically a bail out a la the Cobh deal.

gufct
11/02/2009, 11:52 AM
A VAT Bill which related to the Bar in Drogheda.This stinks to the high heavens.

Rovers Maniac
11/02/2009, 12:11 PM
A VAT Bill which related to the Bar in Drogheda.This stinks to the high heavens.

You lost me here gufct :confused:, what are you getting at?

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 12:17 PM
I assume that's what was paid with the money from the ground sale.

sligoman
11/02/2009, 1:14 PM
An absolute joke if the FAI are doing this after what they said about the Cobh situation. Well done FAI!

Buile Shuibhne
11/02/2009, 3:17 PM
http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/1400-seats-to-replace-terrace-1636382.html?service=Print

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 3:23 PM
Delaney has also stated that Drogheda's audited accounts for 2009 fall below the 65% salary-cap protocol
That's impressive.

Even if you account for the typo in the year, it's still impressive.

but the fact that we had plans to move which have been shelved for the moment
That's worrying, however. There was some Drogheda lad at an FAI course recently telling people how they'd be the only club in the league with no debt after the examinership was over. "But your budget will be way reduced", one person noted. "Yes, initially", was the reply.

Buile Shuibhne
11/02/2009, 3:28 PM
Why did the FAI even bother giving them a 1 week extension on their licence submittal?

The licence is obviously gift-wrapped already !

Celdrog
11/02/2009, 3:29 PM
Even if you account for the typo in the year, it's still impressiveWho says its a typo. Maybe the FAI have pre-approved our accounts?
At this stage we might get one of the European spots this year.

Its hardly impressive though is it - just shows how much money the lads put in and lost last year.

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 3:36 PM
You can't have audited 2009 accounts yet.

Impressive was sarcastic, as in "It's impressive how the FAI twisted the figures to not have to deal with this"

Mr A
11/02/2009, 3:55 PM
Anyhoo- I though United Park failed licensing on some fundamental stuff like pitch dimensions and access that couldn't be fixed?

Or is that just being dropped from the manual?

pineapple stu
11/02/2009, 4:12 PM
I was told last month that 21 pitches met licencing, and one didn't. Wasn't specified which one. That would at least imply that the criterion is still there.

Longfordian
11/02/2009, 4:13 PM
Derogation is a favourite word of the FAI. If in doubt, derogate.

SMorgan
11/02/2009, 4:16 PM
Anyhoo- I though United Park failed licensing on some fundamental stuff like pitch dimensions and access that couldn't be fixed?

Or is that just being dropped from the manual?

The United Park pitch is too small and that's even after it was extended a couple of seasons.

rambler14
11/02/2009, 4:30 PM
Thats bull!
The FAI are bending over backwards for Drogheda so that they can get the licence they want and because were from a small town and not a Dublin suburb we get told to take a hike!:mad:

I'm going on strike! Hurleys down and all!........................Justice For Ramblers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nesta99
11/02/2009, 8:05 PM
The United Park pitch is too small and that's even after it was extended a couple of seasons.

Was it not to do with the distance between the touchline and the perimeter wall, no run off therefore considered dangerous?

stamullendrog
11/02/2009, 10:04 PM
fair play the fai for backing the drogs and helping out with united park.thanks john