PDA

View Full Version : Miller

Macy
18/11/2003, 12:33 PM
From redissue.co.uk

CELTIC star Liam Miller is being tracked by Manchester United.The 22-year-old midfielder is out of contract in the summer and talks between Martin O'Neill and Miller's agents Finton Drury and Eamonn McLaughlin have been inconclusive.

And aware of growing interest in the player, he asked the agents in for nitty-gritty talks after Miller's outstanding display against Belgian side Anderlecht in the Champions League match at Parkhead 11 days ago.

Sir Alex Ferguson attended that game to watch Anderlecht defender Vincent Kompany but was aware also of Miller, who has burst on to the scene this season.

colster
18/11/2003, 12:41 PM
I doubt if Ferguson is after another Central Midifielder. He already has Keane, Butt, Scholes, P.Neville, Kleberson and Djemba.
I don't think Miller would get his game there.

I reckon it would be better for Miller and Ireland for him to stay with Celtic for another couple of seasons at least and build on what he has achieved already.

Macy
18/11/2003, 12:59 PM
He has the potential to be ahead of 4 of that list I would say, certainly the last two......

colster
18/11/2003, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by Macy
He has the potential to be ahead of 4 of that list I would say, certainly the last two......

He has but I reckon he'll achieve it far quicker if he spent a couple of seasons more at Celtic.
Remember he's 22. He needs to be playing regularly at that age.
He'll do that with Celtic. The League mightn't be that tough but he'll get his fair share of European games.

Dodge
18/11/2003, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by colster
He has but I reckon he'll achieve it far quicker if he spent a couple of seasons more at Celtic.
Remember he's 22. He needs to be playing regularly at that age.
He'll do that with Celtic. The League mightn't be that tough but he'll get his fair share of European games.
Man U don't really sign players for their reserves so if he signs they obviously saee a role for him. he'd have much better standerd of coaching too...

Macy
18/11/2003, 1:19 PM
He'd also be a hell of a lot cheaper now, with just some compo to be paid rather than 2 or 3 years down the line when he may have developed more....

Also it's hardly like young players don't get the chance at United - afterall 3 of those players you listed came up through the ranks!

finlma
18/11/2003, 1:34 PM
I think it would be foolish of Miller and his advisors if he was to sign for Utd. Lets not get carried away, the guy looks impressive but he's only played a handful of games. I think its much more important for him to stay at Celtic for the next couple of seasons and establish himself as a regular.

colster
18/11/2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Man U don't really sign players for their reserves so if he signs they obviously saee a role for him. he'd have much better standerd of coaching too...

He still wouldn't get as many games as he would for Celtic. Regular league and European games will beat any amount of coaching.
Anyway he has only broken through. His next step is to establish himself in midfield.
At Celtic he has a great manager and the right environment for him to develope.

Dodge
18/11/2003, 1:53 PM
He still wouldn't get as many games as he would for Celtic. Regular league and European games will beat any amount of coaching.
Anyway he has only broken through. His next step is to establish himself in midfield.
At Celtic he has a great manager and the right environment for him to develope.
No I reckon 15 games in the EPL with Man U would be better than 30 for Celtic in the SPL

colster
18/11/2003, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
No I reckon 15 games in the EPL with Man U would be better than 30 for Celtic in the SPL

Thats debatable at this stage of his career but the problem is that he won't get 15 games for United in the EPL.
Also how about the European games he will get for Celtic.

If Miller goes to Man Utd he will make the same mistake that Robbie Keane made by going to Inter. Keane had a great first season with Coventry went to Inter then Leeds and has only got back to playing regular first team football with Spurs now 3 seasons after going to Inter.

Also this rubbish about Utd not buying players for reserve team. What happened to Cruyff, Poborksy, Bellion, Greening, Fortune etc

Macy
18/11/2003, 2:31 PM
Also this rubbish about Utd not buying players for reserve team. What happened to Cruyff, Poborksy, Bellion, Greening, Fortune etc
Fortune is a regular, Bellion has got a few games this season already and isn't just a reserve player.....

Cruyff, Poborsky and Greening were all given their chances, and just turned out to be sh!t.....

colster
18/11/2003, 2:54 PM
Fortune is a regular, Bellion has got a few games this season already and isn't just a reserve player.....

Cruyff, Poborsky and Greening were all given their chances, and just turned out to be sh!t.....

They may have got 1 or 2 games here or there but never a consistent run of games.
Miller will get that with Celtic. He's not guaranteed that with United.
I think that 2 more years at Celtic playing regular first team and CL games will be far more beneficial than getting bits of games here or there for United.
Lets face the facts here he has potential and talent but I don't think he has enough talent to break into the United 1st team.
I know O'Shea has done it but that was in an area where United were particularly weak.
You can't say that for the midfield where Miller will have to compete with the likes of
Keane,
Butt,
Scholes,
Giggs,
Ronaldo,
Fletcher,
P. Neville,
Djemba Djemba
Kleberson
Belllion.

Thats 10 players and a hell of a lot of competition for 4 or 5 midfield places.
Who has he to compete with at Celtic.

Macy
18/11/2003, 3:06 PM
Fortune is playing regularly this season.

Bellion has been brought on in a lot of games and is hardly dying the death in the reserves (although he may do as he doesn't look up to it to me).

The others did have their chances, weren't good enough and then were dumped (no different to any other club!)

If he's good enough he will break into the team! Get the hooped specs off....

colster
18/11/2003, 3:11 PM
Fortune is playing regularly this season.

Bellion has been brought on in a lot of games and is hardly dying the death in the reserves (although he may do as he doesn't look up to it to me).

The others did have their chances, weren't good enough and then were dumped (no different to any other club!)

If he's good enough he will break into the team! Get the hooped specs off....

What makes you think I'm a Celtic supporter?
I'm actually a United supporter.

I just think that the development of Miller would be best accomplished at Celtic not United.
Miller's development is important for the national team.

liamon
18/11/2003, 3:24 PM
I don't see him bursting straght into the MUFC first team either.
It's taken Fortune ~3-4 years to get a few games.
They have spent millions re-building the midfield over the summer and are particularly strong there at present. Keane, Scholes, Giggs and a holding player will automatically take 4 of the midfield places. That leaves Miller fighting with Fletcher, Bellion, Kleberson, Fortune and Ronaldo for an occassional place. Don't se him getting many games. He'll be relying on squad rotation.

Lionel Hutz
19/11/2003, 12:13 AM
Erm, has it occured to anybody that Miller might prefere to stay at Celtic no matter whos interested in him?:rolleyes: