PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Draw

colster
18/11/2003, 10:12 AM
It looks like ireland will be a 2nd seed for the WC draw in December.
The WC qualifying looks like being made up of 8 groups. 5 groups of 6 teams and 3 groups of 7.
I think the top 2 teams go thru from each group.

The pots will look something like this

Pot 1
France, Portugal, Sweden, Czech Republic, Spain, England, Italy, Turkey

Pot 2
Holland, Poland, Croatia, Belgium, Russia, Denmark, Ireland, Bulgaria

Pot 3
Slovenia, Romania, Scotland, Serbia & Montenegro, Switzerland, Greece, Ukraine, Slovakia

Pot 4
Austria, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Israel, Bosnia, Latvia, Wales

Pot 5
Hungary, Georgia, Belarus, Estonia, Cyprus, Northern Ireland, Lithuania, Macedonia

Pot 6
Albania, Moldova, Armenia, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Malta

Pot 7
Luxemburg, Andorra, Kazakstan

What group woud you like Ireland to end up in.

(Added Switzerland to Pot 3)

finlma
18/11/2003, 10:23 AM
If these were the pots then I'd like this group to come out:

Sweden
Ireland
Slovakia
Israel
N. Ireland
Faroe
Luxembourg

I'm sure we'd qualify from this.

pineapple stu
18/11/2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by finlma
Sweden
Ireland
Slovakia
Israel
N. Ireland
Faroe
Luxembourg

I'd prefer Scotland for Slovakia and San Marino for the Faeroes myself. Course, we're due a tough group after the last one (which was an easy draw on paper...) - how about Italy, Ukraine, Norway, Cyprus and Albania? Nasty little group with every team capable of taking points off each other.

Would still fancy us from that if we played to our potential though, which is encouraging.

tiktok
18/11/2003, 1:08 PM
i'd like

Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, N.Ireland, San Marino

i'd dislike

France, Ukraine, Latvia, Hungary, Albania, Kazakstan

won't read too much into the draw though, i thought we were certainties before the euro2004 games started

ProfFrink
18/11/2003, 2:16 PM
I heard Kerr say on the radio that only the winners of each group and the best two in second place go through. (10 teams in total) That makes it much harder.

Schumi
18/11/2003, 2:21 PM
The other second placed teams go into play-offs.

niamh
19/11/2003, 2:49 PM
Jeez...they like making things more and more complicated...

Peadar
19/11/2003, 3:01 PM
I'm predicting we're in one of the groups with 6 teams and would like the following draw:

France/Italy/England (We need a "Big" team in our group)
Ireland
Greece (Away trip to the sun)
Austria/Finland (Fond memories of both Vienna & Helsinki)
Northern Ireland (Show them how it's done)
San Marino (Haven't been there before)

colster
19/11/2003, 3:08 PM
How about this for a group. Posssible but unlikely.

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
N.Ireland
A.N. Other

A 5 Nations tournament. It would pack out stadia for every game and the results would be very unpredicatable.

NigeSausagepump
19/11/2003, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink
I heard Kerr say on the radio that only the winners of each group and the best two in second place go through. (10 teams in total) That makes it much harder.

I must say I find that hard to believe.

Say it's right, then there'd be 10 European teams + Germany to qualify, giving us 11 European teams. The usual 5 from South America and 3 from Central & North America. That leaves 13 teams from Asia and Africa? Maybe that's the way it's going to be, but in my view that would severely weaken the WC and make the EC a much more difficult championship to win.

finlma
19/11/2003, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink

I don't think this is the case. I'm almost sure its the top teams, plus the 2 best qualifiers and then the dreaded play-offs for the rest of the 2nd places.

pete
19/11/2003, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by finlma
I don't think this is the case. I'm almost sure its the top teams, plus the 2 best qualifiers and then the dreaded play-offs for the rest of the 2nd places.

Thats sounds about right cos 32 teams in finals & europe defo gets more than 10 teams & is usually close to 50% of total. i.e. 8 + 2 + 3 winners of playoffs + Germany = 12 & maybe even playoff against asia again or something...

Peadar
20/11/2003, 9:47 AM
Originally posted by pete
8 + 2 + 3 winners of playoffs + Germany = 12

There's a calculator on your PC Pete :D

8+2+3+Germany = 14

noby
20/11/2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Peadar
There's a calculator on your PC Pete :D

8+2+3+Germany = 14

Yeah, but there's no 'Germany' button on it

Peadar
20/11/2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by noby
there's no 'Germany' button

You don't know where Pete works.
I'd bet his parent company have "Germany" buttons on everything :D

pete
20/11/2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
You don't know where Pete works.
I'd bet his parent company have "Germany" buttons on everything :D

Me have a Germany button here but its called 'Delete' on the Irish keyboard.

:)

noby
20/11/2003, 12:45 PM
One Question.

How can you have the two best runners-up, when some groups have 6 teams (10 games) and some groups have 7 (12 games)?

Peadar
20/11/2003, 1:07 PM
How can you have the two best runners-up?

I had a look yesterday and couldn't find anything anywhere about how the European Qualification section will be arranged.
I presume we'll learn more on the 05/12/2003 when the draw is made. Not long to go now.

finlma
20/11/2003, 1:16 PM
One Question.

How can you have the two best runners-up, when some groups have 6 teams (10 games) and some groups have 7 (12 games)?

I'm sure the boys in FIFA have some complicated mechanism of working it out. It will probably be an average of the points per game against the teams below you in the group, thats how it usually works me thinks.

noby
20/11/2003, 1:32 PM
forget uefa, the boys from Essex Intermediate Football League (http://www.eifl.org.uk/wc2006/qveurope.htm) seem to have the info.

European Confederation

With Germany gaining automatic qualification as hosts, there will be 51 UEFA countries taking part in the qualification tournament.

With 13 places available at the finals, UEFA have decided that these 51 countries will be split into three groups of seven teams and five groups of six teams.

The eight group winners and the best two runners up will qualify automatically for the finals.

The remaining six group runners up will then contest play-offs to decide the remaining three qualifiers.

Neither the format for these play-offs or the criteria for deciding the best two runners-up in the qualification groups has been announced.

The draw to decide the groups will take place in Frankfurt's Festhalle on 05 December 2003

pete
20/11/2003, 2:30 PM
Neither the format for these play-offs or the criteria for deciding the best two runners-up in the qualification groups has been announced.

The way it was decided before & I presume will be this time is that they use the results of the games invoolving the top 4 teasm in the group to get the 2nd best team in each group. i.e. dropping points to the last team in the group might cost a team 1st place but not 2nd place.