PDA

View Full Version : Kearney signs new deal

Hitman
18/11/2003, 9:04 AM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=8579

NorthoftheLee
18/11/2003, 11:00 AM
I for one am very happy with that.........I think he could be a great signing for us...

niamh
18/11/2003, 11:51 AM
I've Kearney once and now am I right in thinking both him and K Doyle will not be playing Friday so I won't see them again this season.
Has he really been that much of a revelation??

Seanie
18/11/2003, 11:58 AM
I think the term "revelation" is way over the top. I don't think Kearney has made anywhere near the impression that might have been expected. However he needs time and realises that himself - I'm delighted he has signed the contract he has. The EL is a tough place for young players to settle, especially small tricky pacy wingers like Kearney, but I feel he will come good next season

Peadar
18/11/2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Has he really been that much of a revelation??

I've really liked what I've seen.
He takes on his man, beats him and usually gets his cross in.
Very impressed against Pats in Richer.
Seems to have a good attitude too.
Great counter attacking options with players like Kearney in your side.

bert
18/11/2003, 12:38 PM
Hardly a revelation. I was glad to see Casey get another chance against Derry, and thought he did much better than Kearney and don't think we'll miss Liam while he's with the Irish U-20 team.

Gary
18/11/2003, 12:49 PM
Glad he has signed the new deal. He should really show what he is made of next season. I like the way him and Woods do have some sorta understanding, and hopefully it will thrive next season.

tiktok
18/11/2003, 1:19 PM
i think it's great news, he impressed me a great deal. definitely a better option than casey.

BOF
18/11/2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by bert
Hardly a revelation. I was glad to see Casey get another chance against Derry, and thought he did much better than Kearney and don't think we'll miss Liam while he's with the Irish U-20 team.

I was glad to see Casey get a run out the other night as well. He certainly had more of a presence down the left and he won several headers which Kearney would never have got to.

I feel he added a bit of solidity and also protected Woods a little bit better.

I really think they are much of a muchness and each brings his own strengths to the position. Bottom line is Kearney is too small/lightweight

brendan

SÓC
18/11/2003, 1:41 PM
Casey isnt half the player Kearney is.

Casey has trouble controlling the ball, his passing isnt great and he's not the best at beating his man. He does give us a better option from kick outs etc. but so would I.

Kearney is small, so was Maradonna.

If you have the skill and the ability dont see why size should be a problem what he lacks in size he makes up for in earning us frees etc. Kearney came to us, unfit and for the first time ever playing topflight football regularly. He's been good this season, he'll be excellent next season.

Druss
18/11/2003, 1:50 PM
Great news.
That and the new contract for George are real signs of long term ambition.
I think Casey did well against Derry as well, but Keaney has transfered to a new league, mid campaign, after the best part of a year struggling with injuries. Despite this hes shown flashes of real skill, scored twice, and been called up for the under 20's.
Bottom line he's a far better prospect than Casey. Anway we are supposed to be building a squad. The reason we are 10ish points of the pace is that Shels and Bohs have bigger squads with more quality players to cover injuries etc.

thecorner
18/11/2003, 2:35 PM
its not a question of who is better between kearny and casey
we now have 2 very good players for left midfield position and that can only be good for us

cant beat a bit of competition for a place in the team

golly
18/11/2003, 2:51 PM
great news bout liam he is a player with massive potential and if he can fulfiill what potential he has we have a very good player on our hands

liamon
18/11/2003, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by BOF
Bottom line is Kearney is too small/lightweight

Is that why Dolan insisted on playing tall centrehalves on the wing? That's only useful if you're going to hoof the ball. I hope City are moving on from those days.
Besides, Duff isn't exactly a towering player and we all know how good he is. Anyway, I'd expect Kearney to fill out over the next year or two.
Kearney has got nice touches, can beat players, cross the ball and takes up some nice positions. He should be a very good player for us over the coming seasons.

Good signing.

Peadar
18/11/2003, 3:04 PM
Originally posted by BOF
Bottom line is Kearney is too small/lightweight

Look at Duffer, one of the best wingers in the world!
Hardly blessed with stature.
I think the best is yet to come from Liam.
There's room for Casey and Kearney in the squad.

wiseman
18/11/2003, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
its not a question of who is better between kearny and casey
we now have 2 very good players for left midfield position and that can only be good for us

cant beat a bit of competition for a place in the team
Have to agree. Two different types of players giving different options, depending on type of game being played

SÓC
18/11/2003, 3:35 PM
I'd like to see what Casey could do in the centre of midfield. He can put himself about a fair bit.

I think that perhaps Casey might be left go if you think that Nwankwo and Woods can cover for Kearney if needs be.

The reasoning for putting centrehalfs on the wing was that Mick Devine has a very decent kick-out in him. Usually the smallest player on the pitch is the right/left back, hence if you put a tall player out there he'll win a lot of ball in the air for the strikers.

liamon
18/11/2003, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

The reasoning for putting centrehalfs on the wing .... if you put a tall player out there he'll win a lot of ball in the air for the strikers.

Then why not play with a midfield of 4 centre halves? (No K. Murray comments please). THere's a lot more to playing on the wing than winning a header from a kick out.

Shed End John
18/11/2003, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Glad he has signed the new deal. He should really show what he is made of next season.

Exactly. First season is always a MAJOR culture shock for new players. I've been quite impressed in patches and hope that he can further develop next season. A spot of European football would help him and a few others no end.

SÓC
18/11/2003, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by liamon
Then why not play with a midfield of 4 centre halves? (No K. Murray comments please). THere's a lot more to playing on the wing than winning a header from a kick out.

Now now Im just saying that putting one centre half in midfield can be a good option, especially if you have nobody else to put there. Thankfully since we've signed a few decent left sided midfielders.

liamon
18/11/2003, 3:49 PM
Sorry for upsetting you Soccfc. I didn't realise you were s delicate.

Personally, I don't agree with playing centre halves on the wing. I can see the case for a midfield holding role, but not out on the wing.

Éanna
18/11/2003, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Casey isnt half the player Kearney is.

Casey has trouble controlling the ball, his passing isnt great and he's not the best at beating his man. He does give us a better option from kick outs etc. but so would I.

Kearney is small, so was Maradonna.

If you have the skill and the ability dont see why size should be a problem what he lacks in size he makes up for in earning us frees etc. Kearney came to us, unfit and for the first time ever playing topflight football regularly. He's been good this season, he'll be excellent next season.
spot on there. He started very well, and while he's gone off the boil a bit, its no surprise with the amount of games he's had to play in his first real season. he's a great prospect

DolansWaistcoat
18/11/2003, 4:07 PM
I don't think centre backs should be anywhere near midfield,the best position for them has to be,wait for it.......................................

CENTRE BACK:D

liamon
18/11/2003, 4:11 PM
Just one or two examples to counter your argument Dolanswstcoat.....

Paul McGrath played very well in midfield for Ireland.

Phil Nevile and Ronnie Johnsen as the central midfielders for Man Utd against Porto in the Champs League a few seasons back.

James
18/11/2003, 4:13 PM
moran / mcgrath
all players equally comforable at either position

think roy k**** was lined up at one stage to finish his career at centre back was he.. or some sort of sweeper role (from memory)
dont think there is such a major leap from one position to the other.. but of course it all depends on the player.

derek coughlan for example i could never see playing in midfield yet i would be quiet happy with dan murray playing there

greg switched from fullback to central mid to wing position and i think he has covered centre back also.. when needed..
all depends on the player like

pete
18/11/2003, 6:03 PM
Good news & a 3 year contract is fairly long by City standards.

Kearney has done well after been thrown into the team mid season & if can get a bit stronger will do well in the team.

Dolan must really rate him as he put him into the 1st team very soon after joining city.

Kearney easily better than Casey. Casey might do well as left back.

Peadar
19/11/2003, 8:53 AM
I think one of the most important things here is that Liam signed the contract before the went to the U20 World Championships.
It's a shop window not normally available to League of Ireland players. I hope that he and Kevin do really well and get great exposure. At least now we don't have to worry about Liam being poached on us afterwards.

Eric
19/11/2003, 2:55 PM
It's a 2 year contract he signed, not a 3 year one.

The reason he went off the boil a bit in recent weeks is because he tore a stomach muscle. He hadn't played a lot of first team football before coming to City and the physical nature of the game here was a shock to him. He has been doing a lot of training off his own back and he will certainly be stronger come the start of next season.

While I'm not a big fan of Casey I do admit that he has a good cross of a ball and is a lot stronger than Kearney, therefore able to protect Billy a bit more. But I like to see wingers taking on full-backs and Kearney does this and Casey doesn't.

All in all it's good to have competition for places and hopefully this will happen for every position in time

DolansWaistcoat
19/11/2003, 3:48 PM
We always seem to have an abundance of players who can play left wing but none have done a great job since ollie headed for the pale.Woods did have a good season 2 years ago there but Dolan put him in at left back this year.

I do hope Kearney can do the business there but time will tell.

The small fella could use a mars bar or twenty though,hes tiny;)

pete
19/11/2003, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by Eric
It's a 2 year contract he signed, not a 3 year one.

I presume that a 2 year extension cos said he was here til 2006 now. I meant 3 as in the length of time left on contract if ya know what I mean...

jofyisgod
19/11/2003, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by DolansWaistcoat
The small fella could use a mars bar or twenty though,hes tiny;)
They should forget the old Atkins diet-Liam needs the DOLAN DIET!! That would fatten him up a bit:D
I'm glad he's signed, as he is a class player, other wise he wouldnt be in an international standard squad. I think, as many others, that the physicality of the eL has been a shock to him, but he will get used to this, and he will, as also mentioned, fill out. A good prospect, and the fact that he WANTED to sign for us says a lot.

Eric
20/11/2003, 3:37 PM
He had only signed a 3 month contaract when he came back from England.

The contract he has now signed is for the next 2 seasons so he is here til at least the end of 2005 or start of 2006

city79
28/11/2003, 10:40 AM
I think most of the people on this site have got it right...

People are entitled to their opinion but to criticise Liam this season is laughable in MY opinion.

He came to Cork after leaving Notts Forest. He was not fit (just came back from an ankle operation). He was put into the team straight away. No offence to the Eircom league, but it does take time to SETTLE in. Do people who criticise not realise that.....

I think that he played some great stuff in his first few games and even got man of the match against the now champions Shels...Then he got tired towards the end of the season. He was also suffering from a bad chest infection towards the end of the season. I watched the game against longford in the cross (possibly the worst sporting event i have ever witnessed) and he was visibly knackered in the second half. He was not used to playing 3 games a week.....

Yes, he is small....very small!! But he has shown some touches that no one else bar George are capable of....

So, i ask people who criticise.....Give the boy a chance...He is 20 years of age....He will be quality next season....He will be used to his team mates...his team mates will be used to him...He will be fitter, more sharp and more used to the eircom league....If not, i will eat my words..

sadloserkid
28/11/2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by city79
If not, i will eat my words..

Well obviously!!! :D