PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane

finlma
17/11/2003, 2:43 PM
With all the talk of Alan McLoughlin's goal against the north it got me thinking of all the great memories the Irish team have given us. Everyone remembers where they were when certain goals were scored and its great to think back.

My personnal favourite was Ray Houghton's header against the English in 88. I was only 8 but I remember being on holiday in France with the family in a pub with a load of English people and my old man throwing me up in the air. Great day!

Shed End John
17/11/2003, 2:53 PM
Originally posted by finlma
My personnal favourite was Ray Houghton's header against the English in 88. I was only 8 but I remember being on holiday in France with the family in a pub with a load of English people and my old man throwing me up in the air. Great day!

Houghton 88 and 94, O'Leary 90 and McAteer in 2001. Great days all. No disrespect to all the good stuff in between, but, these will stand out for me always.

colster
17/11/2003, 3:39 PM
Can't argue with any already mentioned but Whelan's goal in 88 was pretty special.
Capped an excellent performance arguably the best performance by Ireland at a finals.

NigeSausagepump
17/11/2003, 4:43 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Holland game at home in 2001 was my highlight. I'll never forget the noise or the colour in Landsdowne that day (what's happened since?) and the aftermath proved to be one of the best nights out I can remember in Dublin. Even the hangover on the Sunday was enjoyable.

Beavis
17/11/2003, 9:06 PM
Probably because it is quite recent but Keane against Germany in Japan was something special.I didn't get out to the finals and was watching in a pub in Sandyford when it happened.Everone had taken the day off and it was jammers.The whole place erupted,the table in front of us was overturned and someone did a Klinsmann across the bar,smashing all glasses in his way,great stuff

GrĂ¡inne
21/11/2003, 9:27 PM
Yeah i agree, that was great. At the last minute too...when everyone had told me Ireland had lost and there was no hope...WHAM Keane scores a goal...can't get much sweeter than that! Punched the wall in celebration and all...broke two of my fingers...hurt too...ah well, small price to pay..:p

Ah, the memories....

Footie_Fan
21/11/2003, 9:58 PM
Ireland 1-0 Holland

The almighty Dutch sent out of the World Cup and I was there.

tricky_colour
21/11/2003, 10:59 PM
Houghton's goal in Ireland's opening game of USA 94 is my no 1.
His lob over the fancied Italians goal keeper was out of
the blue and won the game 1:0
I think my dad was out of his armchair before I was!

I think Robbie Keane copied his celebration antics from him!
As you will see in the photo on this link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/rep_of_ireland/newsid_2005000/2005212.stm

London Irish
23/11/2003, 1:46 PM
had this precise debate flying back to London after the Canada game last week. It had to be the Dutch game for me given the whole context and the fact it was at home.

Go on think about it - think about the second it flew into the net. The feeling in the ground and in Dublin that night will live with me forever and is something I always think about when life gets tough or complicated (as it is at the moment for one reason or another).

For every Canada friendly there will be a game like the Dutch game.

liam88
23/11/2003, 2:30 PM
Keane against Germany was something truly amazing because the hope was always there (unlike my vocal chords afterwards)-something the struck me about Basel was that the feeling seemed to be that it was over long before the end.....against Germany there was still this full blown hope right down to the last second before Keanes goal-"KEANE'S IN THE BOX......"-enough said :D
The equaliser against Sapin to put us into extra time was an amazing feeling.......
I know Saudi was branded a walkover but as the text messages came flooding in under my desk it was a really great feeling that we were in the next round.....(and that I'd just won a tenner from Brits who told me Ireland would never get past the group hehe:D )

Plastic Paddy
24/11/2003, 8:21 AM
It has to be Keane's goal against Germany for me too. I was in Ryan's bar in the City of London, the place was packed with Ireland fans and Anglos who were also cheering us on (for reasons two-fold - they wanted Ireland to win, but I think they wanted Germany beaten just that little bit more). One of the lads said to me as we were heading into injury time that it was all over. "Not until the fat lady sings" said I. And the blind faith was repaid less than two minutes later. Oh yes!

Cue many texts and phone calls to and from people from Tokyo to Tullamore. What a wonderful feeling, and one that I'll never forget. :)

:D PP

Beavis
24/11/2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by liam88
something the struck me about Basel was that the feeling seemed to be that it was over long before the end.....against Germany there was still this full blown hope right down to the last second before Keanes goal-"KEANE'S IN THE BOX......"-enough said :D

Differences between the McCarthy and Kerr regime?.................(Mick would never let us bow out until the full time whistle had gone....is Kerr lacking in similar motivational skills?)

Pogsly
24/11/2003, 12:18 PM
:cool:

Here's one of my own personal favorites . It didn't come during a World Cup , European Championship or even an International Qualifier . It came in a Friendly . At Lansdowne . Full House .Against the Czech Republic . About 2/3 yrs ago I reckon .
We were 2-1 down very early on and entering the final 20/25 minutes Phil Babb was brought on . To a raucious bout of whooping and hollering from the South Terrace . For the next 20 mins or whatever I never klaughed as much at an Irish international as I did for the amount of goodhumourwed banter and abuse that Babbsy received . Then entering the final minute with the match poised at 2-2 a cross was delivered , and Phil Babb (in Ronnie Whelan-esque poise cracked a bicycle shot of the crossbar with the aid of the slighest of touches from the Czech Keeper Kouba . The SOuth Terrace erupted (half in derision and crazed laughter and the other half in utter astonsihment ) . Robbie Keane scored fro the resulting corner .
It may not seem much but for a Feb . friendly it was truly mental .

gspain
24/11/2003, 12:36 PM
Stuttgart for me - first game in a major finals, a win over our main rivals and the day we arrived on the International stage in football.

John83
24/11/2003, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
Differences between the McCarthy and Kerr regime?.................(Mick would never let us bow out until the full time whistle had gone....is Kerr lacking in similar motivational skills?)

How many times did McCarthy fail? He took as many games to clock up a single win as Kerr took to lose one. Give the new(ish) guy a chance.