PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs Georgia pre-match

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

richieos
22/01/2009, 9:39 PM
With the squad for the georgia game now announced, what do people think the lineup/result will be? how do you think the game will go? any game discussion here

irishfan86
23/01/2009, 12:19 AM
We seem to have trouble finishing, but we're at home against a weaker side.

I'd expect us to score 2 or 3 goals, and probably concede one.

Crosby87
23/01/2009, 12:34 AM
No one on the Ireland team really excites me right now, but then Im sure the same could be said for the Georgia side. I think Ireland take care of business in a must win in typical unspectacular fashion 1-0, with Shay making an unbelievable save in injury time that has us all seeing red for a split sec, and we all start talking about Steven Ireland and Andy Reid .02 seconds after the game.
My other prediction is I will be intoxicated as I am taking a half day and going to the bar at noon. What time is the game anyway, 7:30 Dublin time I hope?

richieos
23/01/2009, 1:54 AM
damien duff and kevin doyle excite me at the moment. the prospect of them two and mcgeady and keane all showing top form also excites me a huge amount. whether it will happen, who knows

bwagner
23/01/2009, 8:28 AM
I would agree with Crosby "No one on the Ireland team really excites me right now" id like to see a young unknown player like Scannell or O Toole being let loose after 60 odd minutes to inject a burst of life into the team. The other team would not hav a clue about them ..unlike Duff and the rest.

Scram
23/01/2009, 8:29 AM
Ò'Shea is in flying form. As I have said before, playing him at centre back is ridculous. This is his WORST position. Finnan, McShane, DuNNE, O'Shea should be our back four. Kilbane could still do a job as a defensive midfielder but it may be time to leave him on the bench.

I am wholly disgusted that Andy Reid is left out and because of that I find it hard to be excited about what we can produce.

We do of course have great potential in Duff, Keane, McGeady and Doyle but not having Reid as provider lessens this potential to a massive extent.

Closed Account
23/01/2009, 8:46 AM
Finnan, McShane, Duff, O'SheaEdit it quick!

paul_oshea
23/01/2009, 8:47 AM
You were making sense until you wanted to put duff in the back.

I am hoping that this game is the turning point where we show domination and the start of a new era, where everything goes to plan and we have a comfortable 2-0 win. Basically an assured performance oozing confidence and temperment.

The other says, its going to be much like cyprus, with hairy moments and an invisible midfield much like the streets of home on christmas day, just scraping a 1 - 0 or 2 - 1.

Its funny how a 2-0 or even a 2-1 could be so different in actual terms of performance.

Either way I think we will win.

FarBeag
23/01/2009, 8:49 AM
Ò'Shea is in flying form. As I have said before, playing him at centre back is ridculous. This is his WORST position. Finnan, McShane, Duff, O'Shea should be our back four. Kilbane could still do a job as a defensive midfielder but it may be time to leave him on the bench.

I am wholly disgusted that Andy Reid is left out and because of that I find it hard to be excited about what we can produce.

We do of course have great potential in Duff, Keane, McGeady and Doyle but not having Reid as provider lessens this potential to a massive extent.

I assume that was a typo in regard to Duff being at the back. I would not change Dunne and O'Shea. This partnership has worked very well up till now and the fact that O'Shea is playing well at the moment makes up slightly for Dunne's inconsistency.

Duff excites me the way he plays even on his bad days he is still one of our best players.Its a pity that A Reid is not at least in the squad at he is capable of creating something out of nothing.I think we will struggle and will be happy with a 1.0.

bwagner
23/01/2009, 9:03 AM
I think we will get a dodgy early goal then fade away ..

The team will be

Given
Finnan Dunne O'Shea Kilbane (very experienced back 5)
Mc Geady Whelan Andrews Duff

Doyle Keane

With Gibson, S Hunt and Long all to come on i hope and keep on the offensive

irishfan86
23/01/2009, 9:08 AM
I think I'd really like to see Andrews and Whelan in the middle, but I fear that Gibson's cup run with United will only make Trap feel vindicated in his selection policy, and that he'll get the nod against Georgia.

I think we will win either way if it is Andrews or Gibson, but I'd rather see Andrews just get in there, secure his spot and have a bit more solidity in there for the matches later on against the Italians and Bulgarians.

Even so, Andrews and Whelan against those teams hardly fills me with optimism.

elroy
23/01/2009, 9:14 AM
I think I'd really like to see Andrews and Whelan in the middle, but I fear that Gibson's cup run with United will only make Trap feel vindicated in his selection policy, and that he'll get the nod against Georgia.

I think we will win either way if it is Andrews or Gibson, but I'd rather see Andrews just get in there, secure his spot and have a bit more solidity in there for the matches later on against the Italians and Bulgarians.

Even so, Andrews and Whelan against those teams hardly fills me with optimism.

First and foremost a win is a must, performance would also be nice along with a clean sheet. I hope they have the same goalkeeper as the last time as well.

I dont think Gibson is yet ready for this level and would like to see Andrews partner Whelan in the middle. We need to be sure of our central pairing going into the Bulgaria/Italy games and this is the game to try Andrews out imo. Other than that, dont expect any other changes, but i do hope finnan is fit to play in place of McShane.

I would disagree with the points made re O'Shea, i think his best position for us in centre back along side Dunne, if Dunne wasnt his partner then i would have concerns, the two have played well there so far in this campaign and if it aint broke...........

Deckydee
23/01/2009, 9:15 AM
damien duff and kevin doyle excite me at the moment. the prospect of them two and mcgeady and keane all showing top form also excites me a huge amount. whether it will happen, who knows

Kinky

Scram
23/01/2009, 9:17 AM
Edit it quick! :D :o

I forgot Stan was no longer in charge!

Scram
23/01/2009, 9:21 AM
You were making sense until you wanted to put duff in the back.

I am hoping that this game is the turning point where we show domination and the start of a new era, where everything goes to plan and we have a comfortable 2-0 win. Basically an assured performance oozing confidence and temperment.

The other says, its going to be much like cyprus, with hairy moments and an invisible midfield much like the streets of home on christmas day, just scraping a 1 - 0 or 2 - 1.

Its funny how a 2-0 or even a 2-1 could be so different in actual terms of performance.

Either way I think we will win.

Yes indeed ! I forgot about his last clanger of an OG. I menat to put him in goal.

We haven't yet had any game in which we looked comfortable for more than 10 minutes (and in many of those games, the 10 minutes was during the half-time break!)

bwagner
23/01/2009, 9:40 AM
Yes indeed ! I forgot about his last clanger of an OG. I menat to put him in goal.

We haven't yet had any game in which we looked comfortable for more than 10 minutes (and in many of those games, the 10 minutes was during the half-time break!)

Giorgi LOMAIA (GK) he played in the other 2 games( kept a clean sheet against Bulgaria)

paul_oshea
23/01/2009, 10:02 AM
i wonder what the odds were on an all irish and all blackburn midfield a year ago for end of season this year?! or possibly start of next PL season and ireland qualifiers in september.

tetsujin1979
23/01/2009, 11:10 AM
i wonder what the odds were on an all irish and all blackburn midfield a year ago for end of season this year?! or possibly start of next PL season and ireland qualifiers in september.
Judge, Andrews and Treacy all played in the FA Cup tie against Blyth Spartans. Judge came on as a sub, the other two played the full 90.

Crosby87
23/01/2009, 11:44 AM
sorry but the Duffer is finished. I dont have time to check his stats now, but I would be curious how many goals he has in any game in the last 3 years. I realize he was hurt but, I bet its like 10.

DeLorean
23/01/2009, 11:52 AM
Here are Georgia's away results from their last campaign. They generally went away empty handed but are far from whipping boys. We'll have to be at our sharpest to win against them I think.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Faroe Islands 0 Georgia 6
Wednesday, September 6, 2006
Ukraine 3 Georgia 2
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Scotland 2 Georgia 1
Saturday, June 2, 2007
Lithuania 1 Georgia 0
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
France 1 Georgia 0
Saturday, October 13, 2007
Italy 2 Georgia 0

They have also lost 2-0 to the Italians in Udine in this campaign.

SuperDave
23/01/2009, 12:03 PM
Kinky

I thought he retired a few years ago? His wiki page says he has retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Kinkladze

Now I would hate to be facing him...

DeLorean
23/01/2009, 12:04 PM
sorry but the Duffer is finished. I dont have time to check his stats now, but I would be curious how many goals he has in any game in the last 3 years. I realize he was hurt but, I bet its like 10.

He played less than 30 PL matches between last season and the season before. Most of those matches he would have been only back from injury. For what it's worth he only scored one goal in these matches but I think your argument is pointless one. Firstly he's more of a creator than a goalscorer and secondly you can't just say "I realize he was hurt but...."
The fact that he was injured is the whole point. This is his first season in ages where he's getting some kind of string of games and any time I've seen him he's been good. He's already played more games this season than in the whole of last so give him a chance.

magnumpi
23/01/2009, 12:32 PM
i can't see the game against Georgia going any differently than the Cyprus match. Our midfield will struggle to retain any decent possession, Duff will look threatening but then tire, McGeady will have flashes of brilliance, but more often than not waste it. There will be then one or two defensive slip ups in the second half, and it will be down to luck whether or not we get a winner.

Atmosphere will be disappointing again, but am hoping the new singing section might remind people what it was once like to watch ireland and not stop singing through the whole match.

Doyle in good form, will be our best player again.

paul_oshea
23/01/2009, 1:18 PM
Judge, Andrews and Treacy all played in the FA Cup tie against Blyth Spartans. Judge came on as a sub, the other two played the full 90.

Ya but i meant it being the same centre midfield for blackburn and ireland.

Scram
23/01/2009, 1:34 PM

The team will be

Given

Doyle Keane

With Gibson, S Hunt and Long all to come on i hope and keep on the offensive

Very likely

DeLorean
23/01/2009, 1:47 PM
Very likely

I think he'll play Gibson again to be honest. I'd be surprised if Finnan was there also, he's played little or nothing.

stiffler
23/01/2009, 4:47 PM

The team will be

Given

Doyle Keane

plus 1

richieos
23/01/2009, 4:52 PM
does anyone really think trap will drop gibson? he had the chance to do so against poland but decided not to. i, like most people, want andrews to play but unfortunatley its highly unlikely

eirebhoy
23/01/2009, 5:34 PM
In the 2nd half against Poland I thought it was interesting that Whelan was given more freedom to go forward with Gibson staying back. Hopefully Trap sticks to this as there's nothing worse than having the 2 of them sit deep for the entire game.

DeLorean
23/01/2009, 5:57 PM
In the 2nd half against Poland I thought it was interesting that Whelan was given more freedom to go forward with Gibson staying back. Hopefully Trap sticks to this as there's nothing worse than having the 2 of them sit deep for the entire game.

That's only becuase they were losing.

eirebhoy
23/01/2009, 6:14 PM
That's only becuase they were losing.
I thought the fact that Whelan was given the license to go forward was the interesting thing. I would have expected it to be Gibson.

Diarmo
23/01/2009, 8:42 PM
I thought the fact that Whelan was given the license to go forward was the interesting thing. I would have expected it to be Gibson.

Hopefully if Andrews starts, it'll be him that gets the chance to go forward.

My prediction is 2-0. Maybe Doyle to continue his good form and score. Maybe a goal from McGeady/Duff also...

stiffler
23/01/2009, 9:21 PM
It looks like Kelly is doubtful for the squad, who do you think will be called up as a replacement?

St Ledger will maybe get a call after all.

tetsujin1979
23/01/2009, 9:24 PM
surely Foley? Right full for right full.

richieos
23/01/2009, 10:08 PM
foley is already in the squad

tetsujin1979
24/01/2009, 12:54 AM
Sorry, forgot he was in the squad. With Kelly and Finnan in the squad, it seemed a little strange to have another right full. Although with Kelly looking likely to pull out, now it looks like Trapattoni picked Foley for this evetuality.
I don't think he'll pick St Ledger, it's more likely he'll call up another full back.

irishfan86
24/01/2009, 1:09 AM
Sorry, forgot he was in the squad. With Kelly and Finnan in the squad, it seemed a little strange to have another right full. Although with Kelly looking likely to pull out, now it looks like Trapattoni picked Foley for this evetuality.
I don't think he'll pick St Ledger, it's more likely he'll call up another full back.

Maybe he sees McShane as a fullback option considering his time at Hull.

Stuttgart88
24/01/2009, 7:50 AM
...and given that McShane has played full back in our last few games.

Dr. Ogba
24/01/2009, 8:34 AM
plus 1

illegal surely? but i like your thinking...

stiffler
24/01/2009, 3:34 PM
I imagine the right back will be

option a) finnan

option b) mcshane

option c) foley

now if kelly pulls out, surely the door opens for st ledger?

Razors left peg
25/01/2009, 1:16 AM
I imagine the right back will be

option a) finnan

option b) mcshane

option c) foley

now if kelly pulls out, surely the door opens for st ledger?

I could be wrong but I thought Foley is not in the intital squad but named as a replacement

EAFC_rdfl
28/01/2009, 10:07 AM
whose got the tv coverage for this match, rte is it?

Crosby87
28/01/2009, 10:00 PM
Just wanted to get the facts straight here for what they are.
A lot of times people talk about what was, what would have been without injury, or what is going to be/could have been.
I'd like to get out the facts as they are on our players form heading into a must win, and of course hear what people think.

Robbie Keane:
Fact: I mentioned that Duff could score more and was told by a few that He DOESNT score and is there to "Set Up." Fine. So....I mean someone has to score then, right? Well Robbie does not even really play anymore for Pool. He has scored a bit and frequently misses a target as big as the Titanic. So.........
Upside: He is rested and hungry as Irish Captain, and ready to prove his worth.
Downside: Umm.....the Captain of the freaking team doesnt really play anymore for his club. Sigh.
Bottom line on Form: Geez. Hard to grade. Thought Rusty was a dogs name.

Duff:
Fact: I havent heard his name in years. Fans fancy his runs, cherish his "hunger" and admire his athleticism. (And make excuses for injury time. Well, facts are, he hasnt done well off injury time, frankly.)
Upside: He certainly is not tired of winning.
Downside: He runs around like a chicken without a head, and is very seldom on the score sheet.
Bottom Line on Form: Ughh.....Newcastle? Please. But, people tell me he is invaluable to the Irish attack. Prove it against Georgia, is all I ask. If that is too much he needs to stop being championed. I think that's fair.

Dunne/McGeady
Fact: Although many will compensate with talks of other players surrounding them/manager support, or lack thereof, the bottom line is good players have good years on bad teams (in Dunnes case) and keep preforming under fire (McGeady sort of is.) But the bottom line is neither player is fancied as much as this time one year ago.
Upside: Well, Dunne gets a chance to prove his worth against Georgia. For McGeady, he can maybe score a goal, since Duff apparently isnt excpected to and Keane apparently cant.
Downside: They both had a career year last year, but last year aint now.
Bottom line on form: Seems to be debatable. Aiden needs a big goal in green to shut me up. Dunne, I think deserves the benefit of the doubt. (For now.)

Ill leave it up to the rest of you for the remaining starters, if you choose. i think it is an interesting conversation.
PS Of course I realize I could scroll to every single players name, but why not converge all current form thoughts to one thread, for the upcoming game vs Georgia?

Razors left peg
28/01/2009, 10:21 PM
Other than Robbie Keane I have no worries about any of the other players at the moment

Qwerty
29/01/2009, 4:05 AM
I have to say I've always had my reservations about Duff in an Ireland shirt, I know he can beat players for fun but I would love to know his real value, how many assists does he have for Ireland in competitive games? Is that stat available?

Of course he is often double-teamed so that in itself is a positive contribution.

I'm not saying we have a better option that Duff on the left wing either, just trying to gauge his contribution.

irishfan86
29/01/2009, 7:21 AM
Duff is playing well enough for Newcastle, but the bottom line for me is that he's done nothing to deserve being dropped from the Irish team.

I don't remember the last time he had a bad game for us, honestly.

If we were playing Italy right now I'd be a bit worried, but we're playing Georgia at home.

We're solid defensively and we have some good attacking players in the team that should be able to outclass the Georgian defenders.

Overall, I find your post to be pretty negative. Where's your mention of Kevin Doyle, who's having a great season? Or even Keith Andrews, who is part of a Blackburn side who are now undefeated in 7 games?

It's easy to focus on the negatives, but you'd have to be the ultimate pessimist to feel that we won't be able to beat Georgia at home.

geysir
29/01/2009, 8:51 AM
If at this stage you have reservations about (a fit) Duff in an Ireland shirt you may as well pack it in.

DeLorean
29/01/2009, 10:00 AM
If at this stage you have reservations about (a fit) Duff in an Ireland shirt you may as well pack it in.

Agreed. With Gibson and Whelan pulling the strings in our centre mid Duff is the least of our worries.

I would love to know his real value, how many assists does he have for Ireland in competitive games? Is that stat available?

Of course the stat is very dependant on the forwards finishing the chances he provides. Also I wouldn't be too worried what the stat is, it's very obvious what Duff brings to a very limited Irish team when he's injury free and it's all good.

Noelys Guitar
29/01/2009, 5:59 PM
McShane is almost certain to miss this game (hamstring). What is happening with Finnan? Is he still injured? If he is I think Trap will move O'Shea to right full and play Bruce alongside Dunne rather than play Kelly or Foley at right back.

The Fly
29/01/2009, 6:03 PM
^ In that case, Marc Wilson should be called up as a back-up. Very promising player.