PDA

View Full Version : Drogs' Court Case

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Black and White
22/01/2009, 5:15 PM
Anyone here how this went today...iv been searching the net to find out any news but to no avail!

El-Pietro
22/01/2009, 5:18 PM
apparently its been adjourned until next thursday

TheBoss
22/01/2009, 6:21 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0122/drogheda.html

CSFShels
22/01/2009, 7:30 PM
apparently its been adjourned until next thursday
Ridiculous. How long is this gonna be allowed continue?

gufc2000
22/01/2009, 7:50 PM
Ridiculous. How long is this gonna be allowed continue?
Agreed its a joke. They've been long enough at it. Its not helping anyone especially if you consider the team that has to replace Drogheda in next season's Premier (presuming they're demoted that is)

Black and White
22/01/2009, 7:52 PM
This is whats holding the bloody fixture up...i presume Cork are getting away scotch free then!

micls
22/01/2009, 9:00 PM
i presume Cork are getting away scotch free then!

We got Doolin, there'l be plenty of scotch next year......

superfrank
22/01/2009, 9:14 PM
They've been long enough at it. Its not helping anyone especially if you consider the team that has to replace Drogheda in next season's Premier (presuming they're demoted that is)
Court cases are adjourned all the time, not just Drogs' one.

CSFShels
22/01/2009, 9:47 PM
Court cases are adjourned all the time, not just Drogs' one.
This one clearly has significant importance in being resolved early. Not just for Drogheda, for some stakeholders who have never even gotten into a business agreement with Drogheda in their lives.

garyderry
23/01/2009, 8:11 AM
This one clearly has significant importance in being resolved early. Not just for Drogheda, for some stakeholders who have never even gotten into a business agreement with Drogheda in their lives.

What makes that so important compared to other cases?
Seems pretty trivial compared to most cases before the courts.

Jersey Cow
23/01/2009, 8:38 AM
Why should they be relegated if they have their house in order per the Court of Law???.........I have a hunch they will survive and get the Premier Division licence..

charliesboots
23/01/2009, 10:13 AM
Why should they be relegated if they have their house in order per the Court of Law???.........I have a hunch they will survive and get the Premier Division licence..

Because United Park doesn't reach the criteria for a Premier Division license.

Dodge
23/01/2009, 10:16 AM
What makes that so important compared to other cases?
Seems pretty trivial compared to most cases before the courts.

Spot on. In the grand scheme of thing, Drogheda's troubles are trivial. If the court decides it needs more tiome, or decides to give Drogheda more time, then who are we to argue.

Best of luck to Drogheda, hope they pull through

razor
23/01/2009, 10:18 AM
We got Doolin, there'l be plenty of scotch next year......Anything to numb the pain.

tiktok
23/01/2009, 11:28 AM
This is whats holding the bloody fixture up...i presume Cork are getting away scotch free then!

Getting away scotch free with what exactly?

The Judge seemed to be concerned with the funds available to sustain the club post examinership, no point letting DUFC out of examinership if they'll be straight back into it. For all the money that supporters have raised what's as important is the business plan that the club will have put forward for next season.

The fact that the Judge is being asked to hand the club back to the people who got it into the mess in the first place is bound to be a concern as well.

Black and White
23/01/2009, 10:03 PM
Getting away scotch free with what exactly?

The Judge seemed to be concerned with the funds available to sustain the club post examinership, no point letting DUFC out of examinership if they'll be straight back into it. For all the money that supporters have raised what's as important is the business plan that the club will have put forward for next season.

The fact that the Judge is being asked to hand the club back to the people who got it into the mess in the first place is bound to be a concern as well.

What I mean is that dont ye still owe wages and bonuses to certain parties and with the recent events over the last 5 months in this league didnt John Delaney say they where goin to have a huge crackdown now on any of this S!@t!

DmanDmythDledge
24/01/2009, 11:19 AM
Because United Park doesn't reach the criteria for a Premier Division license.
That's a non-issue. They'll just groundshare if needs be.

Bald Student
24/01/2009, 1:06 PM
That's a non-issue. They'll just groundshare if needs be.
It's touch and go whether the club'll even survive at the moment. There's no way the judge will accept a business plan which involves paying one or two thousand a match to rent Dalymount or Oriel.

DmanDmythDledge
24/01/2009, 1:48 PM
It's touch and go whether the club'll even survive at the moment. There's no way the judge will accept a business plan which involves paying one or two thousand a match to rent Dalymount or Oriel.
That's a fair point but I was thinking along the lines of if they get to the stage of applying for a license.

micls
24/01/2009, 5:52 PM
What I mean is that dont ye still owe wages and bonuses to certain parties

If they arent paid by January 31st we wont be getting a license

Scrufil
24/01/2009, 9:38 PM
Instead of Drogheda United ground sharing with another top flight club could they not instead ground share with a first division side like Monaghan Utd? The charge for the ground would not cost as much. Shamrock Rovers have been roving for years until now and I see no reason why Drogheda might not try this until their ground situation is fully sorted.

Can someone please explain why Cork City were still allowed to use their ground last season when it was under development? If Drogheda just bring a dump truck and digger onto one side of their ground they can also claim their existing ground is under development. This should be enough to allow them use their own pitch. Otherwise if Drogheda do get demoted then Cork City should be pitched into the first division too.

John83
24/01/2009, 9:49 PM
Instead of Drogheda United ground sharing with another top flight club could they not instead ground share with a first division side like Monaghan Utd? The charge for the ground would not cost as much. Shamrock Rovers have been roving for years until now and I see no reason why Drogheda might not try this until their ground situation is fully sorted.
Would you drive to Monaghan every other week? ;) They'd probably get a bigger gate at Oriel Park, so it's all the same really.

Can someone please explain why Cork City were still allowed to use their ground last season when it was under development? If Drogheda just bring a dump truck and digger onto one side of their ground they can also claim their existing ground is under development. This should be enough to allow them use their own pitch. Otherwise if Drogheda do get demoted then Cork City should be pitched into the first division too.
Would you lend them a dump truck?

It's one thing to let the ground thing go on a tempory basis. It's another to let it go for years on the back of a promise which fell through, and then ignore the financial reality that there won't be a real ground there any time soon. Also, is the site at United Park too small for what they need? That was my understanding anyway.

Scrufil
24/01/2009, 9:59 PM
It's another to let it go for years on the back of a promise which fell through, and then ignore the financial reality that there won't be a real ground there any time soon.

Is this statement about Shamrock Rovers?

I don't see what is wrong with Monaghan. I'd say Drogheda fans would prefer this over Dundalk's semi plastic pitch.

christo
24/01/2009, 10:14 PM

I don't see what is wrong with Monaghan. I'd say Drogheda fans would prefer this over Dundalk's semi plastic pitch.

Dundalk did play in Monaghan for a while too

John83
24/01/2009, 11:00 PM
I don't understand your confusion: Rovers played in Dalymount and Tolka, in stadia which were up to standard. We're talking about Drogheda playing in a ground which is not, and will not be.

I don't see what is wrong with Monaghan. I'd say Drogheda fans would prefer this over Dundalk's semi plastic pitch.Is Monaghan's ground up to scratch for the Premier licence? If so, there's no reason they couldn't ask to rent there, and (if Monaghan accepted) apply for a licence that way. Of course, there's still, as someone pointed out, the issue of getting out of their current predicament. I doubt their having to pay rent will help their case that they've a viable business plan.

Schumi
24/01/2009, 11:19 PM
Is Monaghan's group up to scratch for the Premier licence?They got a premier licence last year AFAIK. I didn't think their stand had 1500 seats though.

passerrby
25/01/2009, 11:33 AM
Monaghan united have a premier licene and afaik have applied for a premier for 2009 and have taken in waifs and strays in the past and while anything is possible in this crazy league drogs playing premiership football in kingspan century park is a bit far fetched

WindmillWarrior
25/01/2009, 11:41 AM
Monaghan is feckin miles away from Drogheda!

ndrog
25/01/2009, 1:30 PM
monaghan is to far tbh .Oriel would be the best option by far .15/20 mins away at the most.

holidaysong
25/01/2009, 1:57 PM

What's a semi plastic pitch? I can't see many Drogheda fans opting for an extra 50 minutes (and back) to go to Monaghan rather than see their side play on an artificial surface..

Mad Moose
25/01/2009, 2:11 PM
What's a semi plastic pitch? I can't see many Drogheda fans opting for an extra 50 minutes (and back) to go to Monaghan rather than see their side play on an artificial surface..

Can a club desperately trying to survive and hanging on as well as Drogheda Utd are actually be particularly choosy at this stage. The very fact there is a ground withing 50 miles which would meet their requirements and is open to 'waifs and strays :D, may be a blessing and an option they would be delighted to accept if it meant Premier Division football next season. Just how much would they be able to pay Monaghan Utd in rent is another question.

SMorgan
25/01/2009, 2:14 PM
If I were asked to demonstrate to somebody the advantage and benefits of the Oriel Park surface the first thing I'd do is take them to Monaghan and ask them, “do seriously believe that playing on this surface is better than playing on the surface in Oriel?”. The last two occasions I've been to Monaghan the surface was downright dangerous.

holidaysong
25/01/2009, 2:23 PM
Can a club desperately trying to survive and hanging on as well as Drogheda Utd are actually be particularly choosy at this stage. The very fact there is a ground withing 50 miles which would meet their requirements and is open to 'waifs and strays :D, may be a blessing and an option they would be delighted to accept if it meant Premier Division football next season. Just how much would they be able to pay Monaghan Utd in rent is another question.

I'd be 99% sure that Oriel Park would be available to Drogheda United if they needed it. There wouldn't be a need to go to Monaghan. That's my point.

passerrby
25/01/2009, 2:33 PM
If I were asked to demonstrate to somebody the advantage and benefits of the Oriel Park surface the first thing I'd do is take them to Monaghan and ask them, “do seriously believe that playing on this surface is better than playing on the surface in Oriel?”. The last two occasions I've been to Monaghan the surface was downright dangerous.
what a crock of s@it all players perfer real grass to plastic and the only team to continously complain about our pitch is dundalk maybe the results might have something to do with your excuses.

SMorgan
25/01/2009, 2:45 PM
what a crock of s@it all players perfer real grass to plastic and the only team to continously complain about our pitch is dundalk maybe the results might have something to do with your excuses.

Well as soon as a club proposes to play on plastic you make that point. I am not sure of the relevance of your comment in the context of this discussion other than to show how ignorant some people can be.

However, in relation to the pitch in Monaghan, it was very dangerous and its stomach churning to hear people give off about the magnificent surface in Oriel Park while turning a blind eye to the surfaces at grounds such as CHP. It was rock hard and a ball rolling along the ground could not go more than 2 metres without bobbling up. It was horrendous.

passerrby
25/01/2009, 4:41 PM
I have yet to hear a player or official complain about our surface no club has asked for a safety inspection in fact it is in excellent condition the only ones to complain are the one with the superiorty complex who have to go home with the tails between there legs not having got the points they thought they were assured of.
Finnally we were not required to dig up our pitch to obtain a licenc

Northern Light
25/01/2009, 6:13 PM

I'm not sure what your point is or the relvance to Drogs situation. All they were doing was covering a seated area (they havent finished yet!) at the St Annes end - nobody had access to it - the remainder ofthe ground (which is also seated) was still available and safe and provided sufficient space (approx 6,500 seats) for demand . It was nothing to do with licencing as the ground was already up to standard - Drogs as far as I know is not.

adamd164
25/01/2009, 8:08 PM
That's absolute nonsense. Turner's Cross would get a license with or without the roof on the St Annes End of the ground; United Park is will never be licensing standard. There's no comparison between the two situations.

garyderry
26/01/2009, 12:48 PM
That's absolute nonsense. Turner's Cross would get a license with or without the roof on the St Annes End of the ground; United Park is will never be licensing standard. There's no comparison between the two situations.

Sounded more like bitterness against cork than based on any reality what so ever, Drogs only got there licience the last few years based on there new ground going to be built.

No relevance to Cork, who have the best stadium in the league, by some degree now Tolka is not be kept up to standard.

SMorgan
26/01/2009, 6:02 PM
A small technical point,

CORK CITY DON'T HAVE A STADIUM!!!

micls
26/01/2009, 6:19 PM
A small technical point,

Neither do Drogheda....

A face
26/01/2009, 6:59 PM
A small technical point,

We still play in Turners Cross though, the best ground in the league.

The Lilywhites
26/01/2009, 7:23 PM
it is in excellent condition

You're a funny guy :D :D :D

ndrog
26/01/2009, 11:10 PM
Neither do Drogheda....

Yes we do .we just have it wrapped up in legal nonsense so it cant be sold from under us to pay our debts ;)

micls
26/01/2009, 11:11 PM
Yes we do .we just have it wrapped up in legal nonsense so it cant be sold from under us to pay our debts ;)

Sure you do...keep telling yourselves that if it makes you feel better.

ndrog
26/01/2009, 11:12 PM
how do we not ? who owns our staduim then ?

micls
26/01/2009, 11:13 PM
how do we not ? who owns our staduim then ?
That would be the FAI...or did you miss that deal where you sold it to them?

Celdrog
26/01/2009, 11:36 PM
You're wrong Micls. It can only be sold if the proceeds are used to build a new stadium for the club, proceeds that the club get (less €50k owed to the FAI).

The FAI cannot sell it or give to anyone else. Theoretically the MFA could kick Cork City out and give the ground to another Cork team. That cannot happen to United Park.

SeanDrog
27/01/2009, 8:13 AM
You're wrong Micls. It can only be sold if the proceeds are used to build a new stadium for the club, proceeds that the club get (less €50k owed to the FAI).

The FAI cannot sell it or give to anyone else. Theoretically the MFA could kick Cork City out and give the ground to another Cork team. That cannot happen to United Park.

exactly - deal was done in early 80's. Funny how some on this site seem to make out it was a recent deal of some sorts. Lucky it was done or else I am sure since then Utd park would have gone down the Milltown route.

micls
27/01/2009, 10:58 AM
Irrelevant. The FAI own the ground, even though there are conditions attached

Theoretically the MFA could kick Cork City out and give the ground to another Cork team. That cannot happen to United Park.
Only if there were another team playing league football, Cobh for example.

However it has no relevance. Im not claiming we own the ground, or that the situations are the same.

Im simply saying you dont own United Park. This is a fact. If you did, you could use it to ensure you didnt go to the wall on thursday. If you do go to the wall on Thursday then Im sure the FAI will let some other team use it