PDA

View Full Version : New League Sponsors - Wonder how much it was worth

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
22/01/2009, 12:15 PM
Form ExtraTime.ie

The FAI have announced that Newstalk 106- 108 fm have come on board as a new sponsor of the League of Ireland

The agreement is for a period of three years. Newstalk shall also become title sponsors of the Newstalk A Championship

The FAI have confirmed that this new deal will enable them to increase prize money and subsidies for all League of Ireland clubs

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 12:16 PM
The FAI have confirmed that this new deal will enable them to increase prize money and subsidies for all League of Ireland clubs
Good soundbyte. Slightly less impressive when translated as "The sponsors will be giving us money."

Réiteoir
22/01/2009, 12:19 PM
so does this mean it's the "FAI Newstalk League of Ireland"?

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 12:21 PM
Nope. FAI League of Ireland. Newstalk aren't paying that much.

Black and White
22/01/2009, 12:22 PM
Newstalk A Championship...:D!

Dodge
22/01/2009, 12:25 PM
Interesting. I'd imagine this will signal the end of RTE's Friday night show. Some years when newstalk started up (as Dublin only) they gave reasonable coverage to the league but RTE stopped them from doing live games. Hopefully Newstalk will now cover the league much, much more and maybe even sack LOI hater Ken early as main football correspondent. We can but dream...

Jersey Cow
22/01/2009, 12:26 PM
Is this a joke altogether???

Longfordian
22/01/2009, 12:27 PM
Weren't RTE pulling that show anyway?. I'll wait with bated breath to see what extra prize money and subsidies trickles down.

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 12:27 PM
League gets sponsor?

Hilarious.

:confused:

Olander
22/01/2009, 12:28 PM
Is this a joke altogether???Yes.Similar to the rumours you commonly spread.

Tis-smeee
22/01/2009, 12:31 PM
Am right in saying the 1st division is still sponsorless

Dodge
22/01/2009, 12:32 PM
Am right in saying the 1st division is still sponsorless

Like the premier division, it has no title sponsor

BonnieShels
22/01/2009, 12:34 PM
Just on the fai website there... when ya click on the new swish logo it sends you to the eircomloi.ie!

Cowboys.

Ah well at least we got some sort of announcement.

Now for Drogs to get some sort of decision later.

Buile Shuibhne
http://www.fai.ie/templates/faireland/images/eLoI-Header.gif

pineapple stu
Another new logo?

That'll sort everything!

New website soon too. Makes you wonder why they screwed up the last one.

Dodge
22/01/2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3944&Itemid=9

The name League of Ireland is used throughout

Mr A
22/01/2009, 12:37 PM
Story from FAI site:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3944

harpstilidie
22/01/2009, 12:41 PM
So are they going to be the main sponsors of the league then? Nah?

Mad Moose
22/01/2009, 12:52 PM
Interesting. I'd imagine this will signal the end of RTE's Friday night show. Some years when newstalk started up (as Dublin only) they gave reasonable coverage to the league but RTE stopped them from doing live games. Hopefully Newstalk will now cover the league much, much more and maybe even sack LOI hater Ken early as main football correspondent. We can but dream...

Oh I can hear Ken's voice now actually. Its amazing what sticks in your head. There was a regular late evening time sports programme as I remember it. GAA, english football and rugby filled as I remember it. Will he now adapt and discover a passion for LoI football. I'll never know, I'll never hear him and that I'm grateful for.

I'm happy with RTE Radio coverage. Eoin Hand. Now there's a voice worth listening too.

Hibs4Ever
22/01/2009, 12:58 PM
I'm happy with RTE Radio coverage. Eoin Hand. Now there's a voice worth listening too.

Was just saying that on another forum. RTE's friday night show is excellent. (especially for those of us living abroad) Can't see NewsTalk matching it

Rovers1
22/01/2009, 1:00 PM
Interesting. I'd imagine this will signal the end of RTE's Friday night show.

yeah its finished.

Very suprised to hear Newstalk sponsoring the league as Off The Ball, its main sports show has no time for the LOI. Any references to it are usually smug ones from Ken and that thick sounding lad 'Murph'

Rovers1
22/01/2009, 1:04 PM
There was a regular late evening time sports programme as I remember it. GAA, english football and rugby filled as I remember it.

it still does....:(:mad:

garyderry
22/01/2009, 1:09 PM
yeah its finished.

Very suprised to hear Newstalk sponsoring the league as Off The Ball, its main sports show has no time for the LOI. Any references to it are usually smug ones from Ken and that thick sounding lad 'Murph'

it does have a ten minutes slot every week so roddy collins can run the league down. and usual makes a big deal when there is bad news.

Maybe now they may do some decent coverage. They definitely used to do good coverage in the past.

Rovers1
22/01/2009, 1:13 PM
it does have a ten minutes slot every week so roddy collins can run the league down.

only person who actually gives a plop about the league thats on that programme is the Irish Indo's sports columnist Daniel *enter his second name here*, who usually ends up arguing with Roddy.

Jersey Cow
22/01/2009, 1:16 PM
O'Donnell......

Dodge
22/01/2009, 1:29 PM
Close, its Dan McDonnell

HammerNThongs
22/01/2009, 1:32 PM
Well, it's a media outlet at least I guess, so hopefully they will pimp the league some bit. Would be kind of stupid for them not to. Any bit of extra pimpage is better then the bare necessary exposure we are getting now.

Mr A
22/01/2009, 1:36 PM
If Newstalk really buy into this and take a genuine and ongoing interest in the league it could be very beneficial indeed.

Radio is still a pretty powerful medium and while RTE's radio coverage was good on a Friday night there was damn all to it apart from that. If Newstalk go all out on this it could be very good news.

TheBoss
22/01/2009, 1:39 PM
Well, the have the logo of the League on Ireland on their homepage
http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/index.html

holidaysong
22/01/2009, 1:41 PM
It's good if it means FM coverage for the LOI on a Friday night instead of long wave - which a lot of people don't have..

Réiteoir
22/01/2009, 1:59 PM
It's good if it means FM coverage for the LOI on a Friday night instead of long wave - which a lot of people don't have..

And conversely - all us stuck abroad now lose the option of listening to LW coverage which RTÉ provided.

Was useful enough when nowhere near a computer.

It's a crying shame that Friday Sportsnight now looks to be no more - think about it - we lose Gabriel Egan's commentary, Brian de Salvo's Column, Con Murphy presenting, and a very polished and well run show.

Instead we'll be stuck with bloody Declan "I'm trying to be Jonathon Gould by shouting very loudly at nothing" Drake - and that's if we're lucky

TheBoss
22/01/2009, 2:07 PM
It will br interesting to see what they will be discussing on Off the Ball tonight.

Hibs4Ever
22/01/2009, 2:14 PM
It will br interesting to see what they will be discussing on Off the Ball tonight.

Most likely live reports from Burnley after their performance last night

HarpoJoyce
22/01/2009, 4:03 PM
While the Media may be a Vice it's better than Alcohol, Gambling or Fast Food industries.

But it may mean the reinstatement of 'Dirge' Gilroy and his side-kick that used to watch the telly and gave a depressing commentary on what he was watching.

BrayUnknowns
22/01/2009, 4:11 PM
Well, it's a media outlet at least I guess, so hopefully they will pimp the league some bit. Would be kind of stupid for them not to. Any bit of extra pimpage is better then the bare necessary exposure we are getting now.

Spot on. It would make them look rather foolish to continue slating something they are sponsoring. Surely they will give more time to the League now and actually sell it a bit more.

Plus is that the new official League logo on Newstalk's web site ?

Mad Moose
22/01/2009, 7:45 PM

I'll forever live with romantic notions of friday sportsnight on RTE Radio and I'll particularly mourn its passing and be grateful to RTE for these excellent 3 hours on a friday night when the end of a weeks work culminated in a bit of footy action from home. Eoin Hand will forever sound in my head and more than anything I'll regret the fact I can't get the footer while I'm travelling. I specifically set my travelling for the programme.

I'll have to plan better and resort to be indoors on friday night and listen online which will never quite have the same feel really. I'll miss the opening tune and Eoin Hand rabitting on and falling out with Eamon Collins :D.

I hope Newstalk as league sponsors step up to the mark and produce something decent and worthwhile and that they get a few of the leagues characters in there. They won't approach Roddy Collins surely. *shudders* That would be too much to take. Here's hoping coverage is frequent and consistent and if it matches RTE in any respect come friday night I'll be very happy indeed.

I hadn't reall planned for the day when RTE Radio coverage would be no more.Oh and the reason for quoting you holidaysong. LW is a lifeline for a few of us.

Buile Shuibhne
23/01/2009, 8:43 AM
from the Examiner:

The deal does not affect RTÉ radio’s primacy as broadcasters of live League of Ireland football, although the state broadcaster will not have exclusive rights to games.

Réiteoir
23/01/2009, 8:44 AM
I'll drop an email to a couple of people involved in Friday Sportsnight - see if they know of any plans for next season

A face
23/01/2009, 8:48 AM
Newstalk named top tier sponsor of the League of Ireland

The Football Association of Ireland today (January 22) unveiled Newstalk 106-108 fm, Ireland’s independent national talk radio broadcaster, as top tier sponsor of the League of Ireland in an agreement that will last three years starting in March 2009. Under the agreement, Newstalk will also become title sponsor of the Newstalk A Championship which is played by 16 clubs country-wide under the Premier and First divisions.

From next season, the League of Ireland is being offered to the market under a new multi-sponsor format, and with today’s three year deal, Newstalk will benefit from signage, marketing and promotional rights associated with the League of Ireland and the Newstalk A Championship. With the addition of Newstalk as a top tier sponsor, the FAI will now be in a position to provide an increase in prize funding and subsidies for League of Ireland clubs next year.

Read more at www.eircomloi.ie (http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-centre/news/)

A face
23/01/2009, 8:52 AM
I'll drop an email to a couple of people involved in Friday Sportsnight - see if they know of any plans for next season

I hope to feic its still going, i could be wrong but i have no faith in NewsTalk to deliver something that would have me enthused about it.

Macy
23/01/2009, 9:33 AM
Ken Early and the other off the ball clowns must be sick. Maybe the League of Ireland will actually be included in the "Football Hour". Maybe Ken Early will disappear up James Richardsons and Barry Glendennings arseholes on the Guardian podcast permenantly.

As for the coverage, could go either way to be honest. They did give good coverage before RTE pulled rank, but the sports shows were more professional back then on the station too.

The RTE Coverage was good, but was a pain in the arse that it was long wave only. We can overstate the quality of the RTE radio coverage by ignoring that fact and how many radios don't even have long wave these days.

pineapple stu
23/01/2009, 10:01 AM
Hope RTÉ coverag stays alright. Will never forget heading up to the Cup quarter final in Derry in 2006, not having a hope in hell of making it because some muppet delayed me far too long in picking my car up after the repairs, turning into LW hoping for updates and hearing the magical phrase "We'll be returning to Parc des Princes for regular updates from the vital rugby World Cup tie between Ireland and France, but for long-wave listeners, it's over to our feature commentary from the Brandywell, and the FAI Cup quarter final between Derry City and UCD." Drove completely lost around the Cavan countryside listening to the dulcet tones of Mr Egan (I think) and an increasingly incredulous Liam Coyle, nearly crashed when we scored and stumbled on Monaghan town just at full time, found the last room in a hotel and sat back with a pint and a ridiculously large grin. Happy days. :)

Have suggested to the club that it be turned on over the PA at half time during games; don't think anyone has a LW radio though, short of me driving my car into the PA shack.

Mad Moose
23/01/2009, 1:46 PM
Hope RTÉ coverag stays alright. Will never forget heading up to the Cup quarter final in Derry in 2006, not having a hope in hell of making it because some muppet delayed me far too long in picking my car up after the repairs, turning into LW hoping for updates and hearing the magical phrase "We'll be returning to Parc des Princes for regular updates from the vital rugby World Cup tie between Ireland and France, but for long-wave listeners, it's over to our feature commentary from the Brandywell, and the FAI Cup quarter final between Derry City and UCD." Drove completely lost around the Cavan countryside listening to the dulcet tones of Mr Egan (I think) and an increasingly incredulous Liam Coyle, nearly crashed when we scored and stumbled on Monaghan town just at full time, found the last room in a hotel and sat back with a pint and a ridiculously large grin. Happy days. :)

Have suggested to the club that it be turned on over the PA at half time during games; don't think anyone has a LW radio though, short of me driving my car into the PA shack.

Well before ya consider driving into the shack I'm sure you could hook up the online stream to the PA and you know that would be fantastic half time entertainment. The promptness of getting around the grounds, getting the score updates and the general passion for the league for those 3 hours was so impressive. Apart from the Cork boys (Pat McAuliffe et al) and young Paddy McKenna I could tolerate most of the commentators. I liked Adrian Eames and Gabriel Egan. There was a commentator who generally covered the Galway Utd games and he sort of did my head in a bit.

I imagine they will keep the programme runnng. I was often interested in establishing there listenership numbers for the programme. I'm sure it had to be pretty good. I loved the wat they adapted to the league too so in covering European ties midweek and it was just fantastic on the road.

If anybody does contact the show and gets a response please let us know.

Rovers1
23/01/2009, 2:16 PM
The Friday night show is definetly gone, cant see RTE giving it much coverage when one of their rivals are 'top tier' sponsors.:(

Schumi
23/01/2009, 2:23 PM
Another new logo?

That'll sort everything!They'd have looked a little foolish if they were still using the Eircom one in fairness!

Have suggested to the club that it be turned on over the PA at half time during games; don't think anyone has a LW radio though, short of me driving my car into the PA shack.That's a good idea actually. I have long wave on a portable radio, if that would work.

Dodge
23/01/2009, 2:25 PM
The Friday night show is definetly gone, cant see RTE giving it much coverage when one of their rivals are 'top tier' sponsors.:(

Why, its not like giving the league coverage will help advertise newstalk? And its not like they gave it any coverage apart from those 2 hours on LW ona Friday anyway

Rovers1
23/01/2009, 2:37 PM
Why, its not like giving the league coverage will help advertise newstalk? And its not like they gave it any coverage apart from those 2 hours on LW ona Friday anyway

Well i just thought when RTE mentioned, for instance the A League, they may have to mention Newstalk...

Those 2 hours are the the ONLY 2 hours any media give to the LOI

pineapple stu
23/01/2009, 2:38 PM
That's a good idea actually. I have long wave on a portable radio, if that would work.
Newry City do it with the BBC sports round up. Thought it was a great service the time I was up there. Internet streaming is an idea too, though a radio would be handier. Can give it a try after one of the friendlies.

A face
23/01/2009, 4:18 PM
Newry City do it with the BBC sports round up. Thought it was a great service the time I was up there. Internet streaming is an idea too, though a radio would be handier. Can give it a try after one of the friendlies.

Its a great idea actually, it possibly could have been a selling point for the FAI when they were nailing down the sponsorship if they got all LOI to do it, and claiming that it would introduce the station to non-listeners or whatever.

Its also good to have it, instead of texting for scores at half time to see how everyone else is doing.

BonnieShels
23/01/2009, 4:40 PM
Its a great idea actually, it possibly could have been a selling point for the FAI when they were nailing down the sponsorship if they got all LOI to do it, and claiming that it would introduce the station to non-listeners or whatever.

Its also good to have it, instead of texting for scores at half time to see how everyone else is doing.

Also better than listening to Mika or bloody Aslan at half time too!!!