PDA

View Full Version : Alan McLoughlin Day

gspain
17/11/2003, 9:39 AM
10 years ago today Alan Alan who the F&*K is Alan scored that goal and sent us off to America.

Thanks for the meories we'll never forget you.

Team

Packie Bonner, Denis Irwin Terry Phelan, Alan Kernaghan, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Niall Quinn, John Aldridge, Eddie McGoldrick

Subs: Alan McLoughlin for Houghton, Tony Cascarino for Aldridge

Can't believe it was ten years ago though.

fergalr
17/11/2003, 12:44 PM
Nice one for the reminder Gary - and nice one for the story in yesterday's Tribune.

Sheridan
17/11/2003, 12:51 PM
I was going to post something about this if no-one else did, it's rather sad to think of the tenth anniversary of an event that gripped an entire nation going unnoticed. I've still got a crumbling copy of the next day's Irish Press, which I've dragged out every 17th of November for a decade. What a day it was, with Bulgaria scoring that famous last-minute win over France and San Marino netting the fastest goal in World Cup history against England. What an aesthetically perfect goal McLoughlin scored, too - neat chest control followed by a surgically precise, sliced half-volley into the corner. I seem to remember it was the worst game in history, otherwise.

Cannot believe it's ten years...I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as happy since. Which is sad.

fergalr
17/11/2003, 12:59 PM
The other great game that day was, of course, Spain beating Denmark. 1-0 with a goal (penalty?) from Hierro. Spain down to 10 men with their goalie sent off - Canizares coming on to make his debut and keep a clean sheet.

A guy I know told me about being at the game - in the Bernabau I think - in with the Danish supporters who kept trying to convince him that our game was still 1-0 to the nordies.

pineapple stu
17/11/2003, 1:00 PM
Originally posted by Sheridan
I was going to post something about this if no-one else did, it's rather sad to think of the tenth anniversary of an event that gripped an entire nation going unnoticed. I've still got a crumbling copy of the next day's Irish Press, which I've dragged out every 17th of November for a decade. What a day it was, with Bulgaria scoring that famous last-minute win over France and San Marino netting the fastest goal in World Cup history against England. What an aesthetically perfect goal McLoughlin scored, too - neat chest control followed by a surgically precise, sliced half-volley into the corner. I seem to remember it was the worst game in history, otherwise.

Cannot believe it's ten years...I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as happy since. Which is sad.

Can still remember that goal from San Marino - brilliant stuff! Then going 1-0 down, more "f***"s than during the rest of my life! Equaliser, after the match going over to Spain, punching the walls in nervousness when Schmeichel was coming up for the corners in injury time! Still have the Irish Times from the next day with Tommy Wright diving in vain - great photo! And then hearing that "Alan Who?" poem, and enjoying it so much that I went out and bought the tape ("World Cup Me Arse!"). The tape has since been lost, but not before I learnt the entire of "Alan Who?" off by heart!

I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as nervous since. Which is just as well!:D

Sheridan
17/11/2003, 1:15 PM
Hierro's goal should never have been allowed to stand, it was a header from a corner and he clearly fouled the 'keeper or defender (can't remember which.) Under today's rules, of course, Ireland wouldn't have qualified (well, second place would mean a play-off for one thing.) Ireland finished level with Denmark and went through on goals scored - today, Denmark's superior head-to-head record (they scored an away goal in Dublin) would have sent them through.

gspain
18/11/2003, 7:59 AM
Yes we only qualified on goals scored but remember the Danes couldn't even draw with 10 men. Furthermore we had a perfectly good goal chalked off late on in Seville when Aldo beat the last defender.and was pulled back for offside.

Great campaign and remmeber we also knocked out the reigning European champions.

lopez
18/11/2003, 2:49 PM
In footballing terms it was the best f***ing night of my life. Ireland went through. Also I was delighted to see Spain (mum's country) join us and that England went out. Jesus even France qualified...for WC '98. :D :D I pray to God that I'll see another night like that in my lifetime. ;)

Shed End John
18/11/2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by gspain
10 years ago today Alan Alan who the F&*K is Alan scored that goal and sent us off to America.

Thanks for the meories we'll never forget you.
Can't believe it was ten years ago though.

Couldn't believe it either when I saw it in the paper. It was absolutely freezing that night, and when the North scored all of us at home were rightly down in the dumps. Cue our first ever goal in Windsor, the house erupted, got even worse when Spain scored against Denmark, and could finally relax at the final whistles. Never forget it........EVER.

Duncan Gardner
21/11/2003, 11:09 AM
Alan who? :)

Plastic Paddy
21/11/2003, 11:20 AM
I was watching the match through me fingers at The Dubliner in Birmingham. I was in the loo having a slash when I heard a huge shout. I nearly lost my tip in my zip rushing to get out the door. :o When I saw that McLoughlin had equalised, I'd gladly have forfeited it as well. ;)

The dancing in the streets of Digbeth afterwards was a sight to behold. What a night.

:D PP

Junior
21/11/2003, 4:19 PM
headed over to Dublin to watch it in the Working Mens club, what a night, got absolutely drowned in beer and what a tense final few minutes that was

Then it was Loan/Credit Card applications all round and off to the Big Apple for Houghton et al!!! didn't get to germany in 88 or Italy 90 was still in school, so this was my first major finals, got the bug big time after that.

lopez
21/11/2003, 6:57 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
I was watching the match through me fingers at The Dubliner in Birmingham.

Erm, were you old enough then to be in such an establishment, PP?;)

Originally posted by Junior
headed over to Dublin to watch it in the Working Mens club, what a night, got absolutely drowned in beer and what a tense final few minutes that was

Junior, after much brain scratching, I now know who you are. Was with SM from Winchmore 'Cypress' Hill on Sunday and he filled me in after an internet description of yerself. The big man should be a gard.

Plastic Paddy
24/11/2003, 8:54 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Erm, were you old enough then to be in such an establishment, PP?;)

Cheeky so-and-so! :p I'm not that much younger than you. Pushing mid-thirties now, I'm afraid...

michaelguineys
24/11/2003, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
And then hearing that "Alan Who?" poem, and enjoying it so much that I went out and bought the tape ("World Cup Me Arse!"). The tape has since been lost, but not before I learnt the entire of "Alan Who?" off by heart!

D

World Cup Me Arse was brilliant!! Fierce funny! I bloody lost it aswell tho. Mite tear the house apart 2nite actually and try to find it. Hilarious.

Did anyone else buy it actually??

Dodge
24/11/2003, 10:07 AM
Alan McLoughlin played a game for Pats a couple of pre-season's ago. Very nearly signed for us (money was the downfall).

We got a corner and it was headed out to him. As he blazed over the entire crowd start cheering. I'm not sure he knew what was going on

lopez
24/11/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
Cheeky so-and-so! :p I'm not that much younger than you. Pushing mid-thirties now, I'm afraid...

Nooooo!!!!:eek: :eek:

The blokes at work that know you refer to you as Tom's young lad. Thought you were pushing more mid twenties.

pineapple stu
24/11/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Alan McLoughlin played a game for Pats a couple of pre-season's ago. Very nearly signed for us (money was the downfall).

Didn't he go off to Forest Green then? Just shows how much effect ITV Digital had on the English game if Forest Green could afford him where Pat's couldn't.

Dodge
24/11/2003, 1:01 PM
Didn't he go off to Forest Green then? Just shows how much effect ITV Digital had on the English game if Forest Green could afford him where Pat's couldn't.
Well if he joined Pats, he wanted wages, a house, a car and flights to the UK.

I doubt he asked Forest Green for that...

pineapple stu
24/11/2003, 1:03 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Well if he joined Pats, he wanted wages, a house, a car and flights to the UK.

I doubt he asked Forest Green for that...

What, didn't ask for wages?!

I presume you mean he didn't ask for the flights or the house...

Junior
24/11/2003, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by michaelguineys
World Cup Me Arse was brilliant!! Fierce funny! I bloody lost it aswell tho. Mite tear the house apart 2nite actually and try to find it. Hilarious.

Did anyone else buy it actually??

Macateer and Gary Kelly go into an Orlando Bar.....

GK: " Two Beers please"
Bartender: "sorry your too young"
GK: "But O'im little Gary Kelly
Bartender " I don't care if your Big Grace Kelly, you're not getting served"
JM (In broad scouse accent) " itz becoz weeeere Irish innit"

or the american commentators referring to Terry Phelan

"look at him go there Bob, he's like supermario down that wing"

Brilliant tape, have a copy of it myself somewhere in the house, very funny indeed, if you can't find it, send me a pm and i'll do a copy for you and send it over, no bother.

Junior
24/11/2003, 1:08 PM

Junior, after much brain scratching, I now know who you are. Was with SM from Winchmore 'Cypress' Hill on Sunday and he filled me in after an internet description of yerself. The big man should be a gard.

Internet description of myself - not sure I want to know the contents of that!!

Is SM - Sylvy??

If so don't think ive bumped in to him since Japan haven't seen him at any of the Ireland games or in Glasgow, heard he had a female in toe, which would explain alot

If SM isn't Sylvy then ignore the above, but I do know a fair few of the London supporters club.

Plastic Paddy
24/11/2003, 1:09 PM

At the time of signing McLoughlin, Forest Green were in the Conference (they're still there, btw) and thus fell outside of the clubs subject to ITV Digital coverage and funding. They've also never been considered as one of the "big" clubs at that level, drawing crowds of around 1,000 for home matches and remaining part-time.

IMO, the fact that he would have had to uproot his family to play for Pats, whereas he wouldn't have needed to move house to play for FGR (they're based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire - a couple of hours drive at most from Portsmouth, his previous club at the time), probably had more of an influence on his decision.

lopez
24/11/2003, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by Junior
Is SM - Sylvy??

Yes that's right. I asked him if he knew any of the Mancs, who might have lived in London and worked for Siemens. He said yes, told me your name and said 'you know him, you've spoken to him loads of times.' He reckoned he last saw you in Zagreb but I'm sure I saw you recently and it probably had to be Japan.

He was in Glasgow and Basel (both of us were in the Swiss end), but he hasn't been to Celtic at all this season. He's got a nice colleen now, but I think the fact he's bought property back in Kildare has got more to do with his absence.

BTW, speaking of US'94 bad taste songs, I've still got that 'Watch your house for Ireland' on CD.

Junior
24/11/2003, 6:51 PM
but I think the fact he's bought property back in Kildare has got more to do with his absence.

he always said he fancied living back in Kildare, fair play to him obv. gettting there!!!

You have a PM by the way.