PDA

View Full Version : Czech Republic 5-1 Canada

Footie_Fan
16/11/2003, 10:52 AM
Canada Suffers 5-1 Loss To Czech Republic

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s World Cup Team suffered a 5-1 loss to the Czech Republic in an international friendly in Teplice, Czech Republic, Saturday.

The Canadians turned in one of the best halves in a long time in the first half and were down only to a 27th minute penalty by Jankulovski. Jan Koller earned the PK when he was judged to have been tripped by Kevin McKenna. The Canadians responded impressively to being a goal down and played some of the best football they have shown in a long time, outplaying the Czechs who are now unbeaten in 19 games. Paul Peschisolido had a great chance after being sent through with a clever lay off by Kevin McKenna but his shot went straight to the goalkeeper. Tomas Radzinski also had a good chance with a left-footed volley but it went over the bar.

The Czechs brought on some fresh legs to start the second half and took it to the visitors. Heinz made it 2-0 only three minutes into the half and then Karel Poborsky headed home an excellent cross to make it 3-0 in the 55th minute. Canadian head coach Colin Miller had only three subs available and he used them in the second half with Mark Rogers replacing Jason deVos in the 63rd minute. Devos was making his first appearance in almost three months after recovering from a broken foot. Martin Nash came on for Peschisolido and Paul Fenwick replaced Nick Dasovic with Paul Stalteri moving into midfield and Fenwick slotting in a right back. Midfielder Patrice Bernier earned his first cap and looked impressive in the opening half when Canada enjoyed more ball possession.

The Czechs made in 5-0 on goals by Sionko and Skacel before Radzinski scored Canada’s only goal in the 89th minute, sliding home a shot after taking a pass from Daniel Imhof.

Saturday, November 15, 2003 – International Friendly
Teplice, Czech Republic
Attendance: 8,300
Canada 1(0)
Czech Rep. 5(1)
Referee: Lei Sundell
Cautions: Canada – Paul Stalteri (23); Czech Rep. – Rene Bolf (23)
Goals: Canada - Tomasz Radzinski (89); Czech Rep. - Marek Jankulovski (26), Marek Heinz (49), Karel Poborsky (55), Libor Sionko (63), Rudolf Skacel (82)
Canada: 1-Lars Hirschfeld, 2-Patrice Bernier, 3-Richard Hastings, 4-Nick Dasovic (14-Paul Fenwick, 75), 5-Jason deVos (C) (12-Mark Rogers, 63), 6-Kevin McKenna, 7-Paul Stalteri, 8-Daniel Imhof, 9-Tomasz Radzinski, 10-Paul Peschisolido (15-Martin Nash, 72), 11-Ante Jazic; Subs not used: 22-Kenny Stamatopoulos; Head Coach: Colin Miller
Czech Rep. - 16-Jaromir Blazwk, 3-Tomas Ujfalusi, 4-Tomas Galasek, 5-Rene Bolf (2-Petr Johana, 46), 6-Marek Jankulovski, 7-Roman Tyce, 8-Karel Poborski, 9-Jan Koller, 10-jiri Stajner (15-Marek Heinz, 46), 11-Pavel Nedved (C) (12-Jiri Jarosik, 46), 14-Stephan Vachousek; Subs not used: 1-Petr Cech, 13-Rudolf Skacel, 17-Petr Vorisek, 18-Libor Sionko

From Canadasoccer.com (http://www.canadasoccer.com)

Sounds like the Canadians aren't up to much!

tricky_colour
16/11/2003, 8:11 PM
Originally posted by Footie_Fan
Canada Suffers 5-1 Loss To Czech Republic

Sounds like the Canadians aren't up to much!

It should be a close game then ;)

Lionel Hutz
16/11/2003, 9:28 PM
I was kinda looking forward to tuesdays game specailly with the prospect of seeing Miller in an Irish jersey but the results of Scotland and Wales yesterday have brought me on a downer!

Nothing to do with Wales and Scotland mind you fair ****s to them and I hope they both go through to the finals proper but it just showed me what **** Kerr was talking when he said that we would simply have to accept that our present squad isnt good enough!

Looking through the teams that played yesterday for Wales and Scotland I reckon we had as many quality players as either of them for our qualifying campaign and the thought of this summer not being part of the Europan championships is only now really starting to sink in for me!

What I want to see tuesday night from whatever eleven Kerr puts out is fight and commitment something that has been lacking of late, if I see that Im not bothered what the final result is as the only difference Scotland and Wales performances on Saturday is just that, fight and commitment.

Seanie
17/11/2003, 8:48 AM
Did anyone hear "Flower of Scotland" before the game. I wasn't really too bothered about who won, but would naturally have supported the underdog. But "Flower of Scotland" raised the hairs at the back of my neck - the crowd was simply superb, the whole stadium. There was no musical accompaniment, just this man singing aloud with 40,000, or whatever, in the backing chorus. It must really have inspired the players cos on paper it looked a complete mismatch. I would even go as far as saying that it was a bigger victory than ours over the Dutch two years ago.

Junior
17/11/2003, 10:38 AM
Apparently they played the braveheart speech as well, over the tannoy before kick off.

You know "..............but they'll never take our freedom" a pretty inspiring speech it has to be said.!!!