PDA

View Full Version : georgie showboating

DolansWaistcoat
15/11/2003, 3:39 PM
George was great again last night and is definately one of the best players in our squad if not the best but sometimes he can realy get on my nerves.He always give his all it's obvious but sometimes he has to know when to stop trying everything spectacular and just pass the fcukin ball.He has the ability to beat players but he seems to be never happy beating 1 or 2 he has to get past 3 or 4 players and ends up losin the ball instead of taking the simple pass,could he think his team mates are inferior to him and that he has to do it all himself,i hope not.There was a chance to cross the ball into the box at the shed end(which was why he tried showin off imo) last night and george trys to cross it by flickin one leg behind the other leg and the ball ends up goin about five feet and out for a goal kick with city players lined up waiting in the box,don't get me wrong here i love george(as a player)and couldn't imagine city without him but sometimes he needs to cut out the crap and think about gettin city the win and not him lookin good.

Bionic Brennie
15/11/2003, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by DolansWaistcoat
i love george(as a player)

Thanks for the clarification there!

A face
15/11/2003, 4:38 PM
could he think his team mates are inferior to him

If he didn't .... i'd be worried cos they are inferior to him.

george trys to cross it by flickin one leg behind the other leg and the ball ends up goin about five feet and out for a goal kick with city players lined up waiting in the box

I think what you should do is watch Chorus and consider ammending your post ..... I took a pic of that move literally two secs before he done that.

I was right there ......

If George had not tried that (changed his footing) he would not have kept the ball ............ simple as that.

The fact the George was able to keep possession and nearly get the ball into the box showed how good he actually is. It is because of this inventiviness that he can actually hold onto the ball when other players would have long lost it.

Another thing is ...... I loved it, I dont always get to see it but when I do .... i sit back and say "Great piece of play .... even if it didn't come off"

Maybe that is where we differ DolansWaistcoat.

This has to be one of the "Lock and Load, hold gun to foot" aspects of Citys support this year. I just wish some peole would get over themselves.

Counting Crow
15/11/2003, 4:50 PM
Completely agree with A face.

This sort of genius is what people pay to see.

I was in the Rochestown Park Hotel one morning last week and the place was packed with International Boxers. The place was thronged with them.
Who comes out the door into the lobby amongst them only George.

The 3 girls behind the desk suddenly lit up and were all "George this and George that".

The guy is the nearest thing to a celebrity we have in this City and I think this is what pi$$es some of these begrudering ***** most.

I would quite gladly pay more to see this guy play next season as would most other LoI fans.

Believe me EVERY supporter in the country knows George at this stage.

Legend at 23!

Neil
16/11/2003, 11:48 AM
George was great again last night and is definately one of the best players in our squad if not the best but sometimes he can realy get on my nerves.He always give his all it's obvious but sometimes he has to know when to stop trying everything spectacular and just pass the fcukin ball.He has the ability to beat players but he seems to be never happy beating 1 or 2 he has to get past 3 or 4 players and ends up losin the ball instead of taking the simple pass,could he think his team mates are inferior to him and that he has to do it all himself,i hope not.There was a chance to cross the ball into the box at the shed end(which was why he tried showin off imo) last night and george trys to cross it by flickin one leg behind the other leg and the ball ends up goin about five feet and out for a goal kick with city players lined up waiting in the box,don't get me wrong here i love george(as a player)and couldn't imagine city without him but sometimes he needs to cut out the crap and think about gettin city the win and not him lookin good.

i nearly went blind trying to read this, but anyway, I think what you're trying to say is that you're jealous of George!

Nah seriously... the flick - it didn't work this time but i think it's great to see a guy who is willing to try it. That's what football should be all about.

More of the same George.

Colm
16/11/2003, 12:22 PM
There was a chance to cross the ball into the box at the shed end(which was why he tried showin off imo) last night and george trys to cross it by flickin one leg behind the other leg and the ball ends up goin about five feet and out for a goal kick with city players lined up waiting in the box.

We need players who are willing to try that kind of stuff, I think it's great that Georgie has enough confidence in his own ability to think he may be able to pull off a trick like that. Unfortnately, on this occasion, it didn't work but if it had worked and we'd produced a goal from it you would probably be on here saying how brilliant George was to try that flick.
If showing off is what Georgie is doing then I hope he continues to 'show off'! Legend.

DolansWaistcoat
16/11/2003, 1:48 PM
Calm the bones lads i'm not tryin to start the George anti-fan club here i'm sayin the fella is a SUPERSTAR but that at TIMES he can bug the sh*t out of me,alright.And don't try to tell me either that not one of ye has shouted for the man to just pass the ball instead of dancing around like a young fella in henrys in days gone by,after poppin a few yokes with his buddies out on the dance floor.As for being jealous of the guy i think it was Neil that said that,your right i'm goin straight in to my local barbers to ask for the new george hairdo,it's called Le Dead skunk on the head, it's all the rage in Milan and Paris i hear :D

All together now GEORGE O CAL.................NA NA NA NA

ccfcgirl
16/11/2003, 3:54 PM
i do see your point dolans waist coat but this year was about gelling the team together next season with jof back and hopfully with a few signings to midfield we will see the best out of goc

A face
16/11/2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
The guy is the nearest thing to a celebrity we have in this City and I think this is what pi$$es some of these begrudering ***** most.

I think U2's Bono said it once .......

"There is a metallity in the states, where people look up to the big house on the hill and say "i'd love ot be like that" and it encourages them to work harder, where as in Ireland people look at the house, and they try and knock you off the hill"

It is alright in my book to criticise when it is constructive but bashing is not productive at all.

Petty and small are the words i use to describe Georgie bashers.

DolansWaistcoat
16/11/2003, 6:24 PM
your right A Face there is no place at City for Bashers of any player, coach or person linked with the club unless the critiscm is justified.Don't pick me up wrong i'm not a basher of anyone,i'm just tryin to let out a little frustration here about something thats annoying me.

if you read my threads though you'll see i have a lot of praise for georgie boy most of time.:ball:

A face
16/11/2003, 8:29 PM
To be honest ... I was on about the bitter people all over the ground who during the game, are spitting bile at one/several players throughout the game.

I just can get my head around it.

I dont mind the ...... "You should got that .... " or the "Who was that to .... " or "You are way out of position and the cause for that goal ..... " ......... That in my book is OK. Hatred is not. There really are some bitter and twisted people sitting/standing beside us during games and when you confront them most of them are really small minded and wont admit they just might be wrong. They stay hard nosed and refuse to back down after calling a player any word under the sun.

To be honest .... i dont believe just cause your at a game gives you the right to abuse people to some of the degrees that i have witnessed.

I think this is a big area for the club in the close season.

Schunter Netz
16/11/2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by A face
To be honest ... I was on about the bitter people all over the ground who during the game, are spitting bile at one/several players throughout the game.

I just can get my head around it.

I dont mind the ...... "You should got that .... " or the "Who was that to .... " or "You are way out of position and the cause for that goal ..... " ......... That in my book is OK. Hatred is not. There really are some bitter and twisted people sitting/standing beside us during games and when you confront them most of them are really small minded and wont admit they just might be wrong. They stay hard nosed and refuse to back down after calling a player any word under the sun.

To be honest .... i dont believe just cause your at a game gives you the right to abuse people to some of the degrees that i have witnessed.

I think this is a big area for the club in the close season.

thecorner
17/11/2003, 12:47 AM
There was a chance to cross the ball into the box at the shed end(which was why he tried showin off imo) last night and george trys to cross it by flickin one leg behind the other leg and the ball ends up goin about five feet and out for a goal kick

we can all tell our grandchildren that we were there

worth the ten yoyo's alone

dolans waistcoat
-----------------------
u mite not be criticising georgie but if he had pulled that off and we scored, u would be saying it was the best piece of skill u ever saw
go on admit it. u know u want to

thecorner
17/11/2003, 7:33 AM
your right the corner i would have been nearly wetting myself with joy if we got a goal from george's trick,but we didnt score or get anywhere near scoring and thats my point.

cut out the showboating every now and then and just take the simple option which could have brought us 2-0 up, and dont forget how close Derry were to equalising at the end.

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2003, 8:18 AM
that last post was actually mine dont know what happened there, the corner

pete
17/11/2003, 9:22 AM
I suppose you can't have a player with Georges skill that won't have moments when he overdoes the skill.

An avarage player just won't have the skill so won't try the tricks anytime.

George is great for the club & has upped his performances this season.

SÓC
17/11/2003, 9:24 AM
Georgie mi**** the flick, he did the same up at Pats in the 2-0 game, but connected properly, took 3 defenders out of the game and found Kearney is space with a percision pass. If he had connected properly with the one the other night it was a goal, Derry werent ready for a cross from there.

Well worth a try IMO.

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2003, 10:26 AM
George has upped his game this season and he puts in a fierce effort in each game.He hasn't scored as many as he could have because he does go back into midfield to pick up the ball a lot.

forengay
17/11/2003, 11:36 AM
I thing You are right dolan,He dose showboat a lot.If he left the ball off half the times he got in to the box we would win this dam league but dont get me wrong he,s a great player but theres no I in TEAM.so......Alot of people think hes god but hes just a player like the rest......

bert
17/11/2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by forengay
theres no I in TEAM

No, but there is an "m" and an "e":p

fonzi
17/11/2003, 1:08 PM
sometimes. you just got to keep it simple.

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2003, 2:01 PM
jof is a better player than goc imo

anyone else agree?

tiktok
17/11/2003, 3:59 PM
showboating is fine when you're a couple of goals up, usually it's best to try and do the simple stuff well to get that lead.

george is our best player at the moment, no doubt. but there are times when he does things the hard way when an easy ball is on. in the game against bohs a few weeks back he was our best player, but on a few occasions if he'd taken a simple ball to doyle instead of beating a player first we might have created a few more scoring chances.

Counting Crow
17/11/2003, 7:29 PM
Sorry DolansWaistcoat - gotta disagree with you again bud.

Flynny struggled big time this season when George was out suspended etc ( he is a pure goalscorer and, as with these type of players, depends a lot on good supply etc ) yet George has gone from strength to strength as the season has gone on.

Don't get me wrong however, I am one of Flynny's biggest fans and we are a poorer side without him but your question was to pick between them and it is no contest I'm afraid .......... George is more important to the Club at this moment in time.

George does need to work on his free kicks though - Beckham he is not I'm afraid.

Hitman
18/11/2003, 8:33 AM

anyone else agree?

Agreed.

golly
18/11/2003, 2:27 PM
o flynn aint the same without george. and when john is in the team george passes the ball a lot more. i think george is more important coz he has created the goals which enables john to score. if u dont have the creativity u wont score the goals and dats why i go for george

thecorner
18/11/2003, 2:33 PM

anyone else agree?

not a hope in hell

if georgie doesnt perform(which is rarely), city dont perform

its as simple as that

georgie has been the one of the biggest talents in el over the past 2 seasons

flynny is an excellent goalscorer but georgie is more important to the team

GEORGIE FOR IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Éanna
18/11/2003, 4:15 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
not a hope in hell

if georgie doesnt perform(which is rarely), city dont perform

its as simple as that

georgie has been the one of the biggest talents in el over the past 2 seasons

flynny is an excellent goalscorer but georgie is more important to the team

GEORGIE FOR IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
absolutely spot on.

George bugs the crap outta me at times because he ignores the simple option, but if you took the showboating and the arrogance out of his game he wouldn't be half the player. Talent that great has its good and its bad sides, and i definitely think the good far outweighs the bad!

DolansWaistcoat
18/11/2003, 5:01 PM
Georgie and Jof for Ireland,why not?Your man Glen Thrush from bohs got a few caps,so how bout our two superstars.Mr Kerr,come down the cross some night you might be suprised at what you see!

As for Jof or Goc,it's Flynny for me everytime.I dont have time to ellaberate more now but ill be back with more info soon.

good luck ;)

DolansWaistcoat
19/11/2003, 4:21 PM
me again!

JOF or GOC?

Whos more important for City?

has to be jof everytime.Alright flynn did look a little lost at times when goc was out this season, but thats because they have built up a good understanding over the last 2 years and hes bound to miss george's great passes.I think flynn would adapt if he had to play without george all the time and would still score goals.Hes an unbelieable goalscorer and if he didnt get injured he would be miles ahead in the el goalscoring chart,no doubt about it.

Ask yourself the question if it had been george out these last few months instead of flynny would we have the same amount of points?I think we would have and maybe more.City have been sh*t in front of goal without Jof.

Anyway we need both lads playing to see the best out of City.Roll on next season when the title is coming back down south.It's been up around the pale far too long!:mad:

pete
19/11/2003, 5:38 PM
JOF is a better player but cos city got like creativity with Geoge then he is more important to City.

The skys the limit for JOFs eL scoring if he gets more chances...

jofyisgod
19/11/2003, 6:04 PM
Got to say that Flynny is better, but without Georgie, he wouldn't look half as good as he does. Think of how he looked when playing without Georgie. However, Flynny is class, and would definetely adapt w/out GOC as he such a classy act.

thecorner
19/11/2003, 6:13 PM
look at this way with flynny out of the team with are still fighting for a european spot

now take georgie out of the side and its a different story
we would look very mediocore. we would struggle

georgie 10/10
flynny 9/10

A face
19/11/2003, 6:47 PM
Doyle, Georgie and Flynn ............ Class

Michael Nwánko could be very good too !!

Dan Murray is very good, as are Hoggie and Bennett (if we played him :rolleyes: )

Woodie .... When on form is class too.

Thing is we need a squad of all class players.

tiktok
20/11/2003, 8:19 AM
I don't think you can compare George and Flynn in this way to be honest, both give their all but provide very different abilities. We miss both when they're not available. (We may miss George more since we lack creative options). What is certain is that together, their partnership adds even more to their individual worth to city.

George is class, but is even better with Flynn alongside, converse holds true aswell.

DolansWaistcoat
20/11/2003, 8:36 AM
id like to see Flynny, when fit, up front with doyler with Georgie playing behind them in the 'hole'.this might work at home playing with wing backs,I know Hoggie would be able for it but would Billy be able to get up and down the wing as much as Hoggie.

wiseman
20/11/2003, 11:57 AM
If woods can't, then how about Carey..who seems to have disappeared completely

pete
20/11/2003, 12:19 PM
442 is your only man. Less of the computer style footie game tactics.

Éanna
20/11/2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
look at this way with flynny out of the team with are still fighting for a european spot

now take georgie out of the side and its a different story
we would look very mediocore. we would struggle

georgie 10/10
flynny 9/10
thats the key to it. We might not have looked as threatening since flynny got injured, but we haven't dropped down the table. Without Georgie we would have.

DolansWaistcoat
21/11/2003, 6:19 AM
I think that spa and the homeless scum and the rest have been worse than us thats why we havent dropped down the table.And why not try 352 at home when we struggle to get a goal against crap sides like ucd and derry city!