PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season friendlies..

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

holidaysong
15/01/2009, 6:23 PM
Dundalk's pre-season friendlies are as follows:

February 10 – Lisburn Distillery v Dundalk – 7.45pm.
February 14 – Drogheda Utd v Dundalk – 6pm (pending).
February 21 – Sligo Rovers v Dundalk – 7.45pm.
February 24 – Dungannon Swifts v Dundalk – 7.45pm.
TBC – Monaghan Utd v Dundalk.

There are none scheduled in Oriel yet until the pitch has been relaid.

Dodge
15/01/2009, 10:44 PM
I'll make this a sticky when more come in (sometimes the stickies can get overlooked)

Very unusual to see two premier division sides playa friendly against each other (I had thought it wasn't allowed)

jebus
15/01/2009, 10:45 PM
Playing friendlies against teams in your upcoming season always will seem odd to me

The Lilywhites
15/01/2009, 10:51 PM
We play Drogheda United every year in the Malone Cup so they don't really count, plus they probably won't be a Premier Division club if they survive. Not sure how or why the Sligo friendly came about.

Dunny
15/01/2009, 11:01 PM
The Sligo one is a bit odd alright...

srfc1928
15/01/2009, 11:30 PM
I'll make this a sticky when more come in (sometimes the stickies can get overlooked)

Very unusual to see two premier division sides playa friendly against each other (I had thought it wasn't allowed)
we played harps in a pre season game last season aswell

Longfordian
16/01/2009, 2:06 AM
Longford Town v. Bohs, February 14th, Flancare Park, kick off to be confirmed.

niallsparky
16/01/2009, 4:29 AM
http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/previews/pre-season-news.htm

Pre-Season News

The Bohs squad returned to pre-season training today. In preparation for the defence of our league and cup trophies, the club has arranged the following pre-season friendlies:

Saturday January 31st v Waterford United (Venue - RSC Waterford, Kick Off 7pm)

Sunday February 8th v Lokomotiv Moscow (Venue - Montecastillo, Jerez,Cadiz,Spain.Kick Off 4pm)

Saturday February 14th v Longford Town (Venue - Flancare Park. Kick Off TBC)

Wednesday February 18th v Glebe North* (Venue - Glebe North, Balbriggan. Kick Off 7.30pm)

Saturday February 21st v Monaghan United (Venue - Dalymount Park, Kick Off 7pm)

Friday February 27th v Shelbourne (Venue - Dalymount Park, Kick Off 7.30pm)

*The match against Glebe North is a benefit game for Martin Finnegan

brianw82
16/01/2009, 10:56 AM
The Sligo one is a bit odd alright...

Probably training new security with the help of wee Sean. They also want to use Singh as a test subject to see how long it takes an ambulance to get from the Showgrounds to the hospital.

pineapple stu
16/01/2009, 12:31 PM
Sunday February 8th v Lokomotiv Moscow (Venue - Montecastillo, Jerez,Cadiz,Spain.Kick Off 4pm)

Would that not be, shall we say, slightly expensive given your current predicament?

GalwayRed
16/01/2009, 12:32 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1088
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1089
Saturday, Feb 14th v Bray Wanderers Wayside Celtic Ground ko 2pm

Wednesday, Feb 25th v Kildare County Station Road
ko TBC

Friday, Feb 27th v Bohemians Dalymount Park
ko 7.30pm

February 6th v Derry City at the Brandywell ko 7.45pm

February 7th v Opposition TBA at Letterkenny ko TBC

srfc1928
16/01/2009, 3:43 PM
February 7th v Opposition TBA at Letterkenny ko TBC

Is that for definite :confused:

GalwayRed
16/01/2009, 4:44 PM
I guess it cant be considered for definite if they havent yet announced the opposition yet. I would say its very likely we will be playing a friendly that day though, or it wouldnt have been mentioned on the site.

niallsparky
16/01/2009, 5:18 PM
Would that not be, shall we say, slightly expensive given your current predicament?

Apparently teams participating in the Champions League get a pre-season training/tour allowance from UEFA.

thischarmingman
16/01/2009, 5:58 PM
Apparently teams participating in the Champions League get a pre-season training/tour allowance from UEFA.

Team participating in Europe get the FAI training grant. Derry are also going, as they have done in previous years. We also drew 1-1 with a side from Moscow a couple of years back though can't remember if it was Locomotiv.

Derry started back in training yesterday and will go to southern Spain on 28th Jan where they will play Danish side Esbjerg.

"We've taken advantage of the annual FAI grant in the past having qualified for European football and a one week training camp is always a great opportunity to have the first team squad together.

"The camp is located not too far from Malaga and the game against Esbjerg was made possible as they will also be involved in a training camp in the Malaga region at that time. They play in a strong league in Denmark and I've no doubt we'll face a tough test in our first game of the pre-season," he added.

On their return, Derry's first pre-season game on home soil will take place at Brandywell on Friday night, February 6th when former City boss, Dermot Keely, will lead his Shelbourne side to Foyleside. The following Tuesday evening, City travel to Drumahoe to face Institute and the following Friday, February 13th, Sporting Fingal will visit Brandywell, Liam Buckley's side boosted by the recent signings of Eamon Zayed, Gary O'Neill and, of course, their on-loan "Candy Stripe" goalkeeper, Darren Quigley.

"We will have three games in the space of a week to help the players get match fit while we hope to fit in another game before the start of the season," added the Derry boss.

Indeed, Derry had pencilled in a game against derby rivals, Finn Harps, as part of the pre-season programme but that game has since been sidelined until Kenny is informed which division Harps will be playing in next season.

"At the moment we don't know for sure which division Finn Harps will be playing in next season, but there have been whispers from Dublin that they may well be returned to the Premier Division for next season," added Kenny

http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sport/City-face-top-Danish-side.4883062.jp

stann
16/01/2009, 7:51 PM
Saturday January 31st v Waterford United (Venue - RSC Waterford, Kick Off 7pm)

Kick Off is going to be 3pm for this one.
And the venue is provisionally the RSC. Work on the pitch is scheduled for the next few weeks, and an alternative venue may have to be arranged, we don't know yet.

Mr Maroon
17/01/2009, 12:25 AM
No mention of any friendlies for us yet. I supposed we'd need 11 players first.

Guitd
17/01/2009, 10:35 AM

there will be no home friendlys as no dates available in terryland was told with mervue now playing there as well:mad:

Black and White
17/01/2009, 12:07 PM

I think you could use that excuse for a lot of teams in the league this season...just a thought...if drogheda were to manage to get out of examinership next week or whenever the meeting is, and it took them a further four weeks to get a backroom team together and a team...will they have time to have friendlies??
What did Shels do 3 years ago when Keely had to get a team together in a week...did they manage a game or two before the league started??

Mr Maroon
17/01/2009, 12:27 PM
there will be no home friendlys as no dates available in terryland was told with mervue now playing there as well:mad:
So, do you mean Mervue will have "home" friendlies but we won't, or neither of us will?

Patrick Dunne
17/01/2009, 1:07 PM
Presumably, neither club will be using Terryland as a venue for friendlies.
Mervue Uniteds ground at Fahys Field is well above the standard required to
host a friendly against a Premier Division side.

eamo1
17/01/2009, 2:38 PM
So will we(Utd) play a pre season game up in Drom?We did a few years ago i remember.

Magicme
17/01/2009, 3:02 PM
or in Newbridge where we had the famous Lavine getting a piggy back from Leggy incident!

Martinho II
17/01/2009, 6:25 PM
or in Newbridge where we had the famous Lavine getting a piggy back from Leggy incident!

explain yoursself magicme!:confused:

GalwayRed
17/01/2009, 11:16 PM
I think you could use that excuse for a lot of teams in the league this season...just a thought...if drogheda were to manage to get out of examinership next week or whenever the meeting is, and it took them a further four weeks to get a backroom team together and a team...will they have time to have friendlies??
What did Shels do 3 years ago when Keely had to get a team together in a week...did they manage a game or two before the league started??
We did yeah we managed a game just before the start of the season against a waterford united selection team at Tolka. Won it as well. 1-0

Magicme
17/01/2009, 11:27 PM
explain yoursself magicme!:confused:

A few years ago we played Galway United in a place called Newbridge near Galway and one of our players called Leggy, who is a bit vertically challenged, went for a ball and stopped and Lavine didnt stop and ended up jumping on his back and they fell to the ground.

Was really funny and cant get that image out of my head.

The Lilywhites
18/01/2009, 5:25 PM
All pre-season games can be found at: http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/teams/2/

Just go to the individual teams.

Martinho II
18/01/2009, 7:16 PM
A few years ago we played Galway United in a place called Newbridge near Galway and one of our players called Leggy, who is a bit vertically challenged, went for a ball and stopped and Lavine didnt stop and ended up jumping on his back and they fell to the ground.

Was really funny and cant get that image out of my head.

thanks for that magicme.. im sure its not the first time that someone has jumped on lavines back..:D

Magicme
19/01/2009, 11:09 AM
thanks for that magicme.. im sure its not the first time that someone has jumped on lavines back..:D

Lavine was the one juming on Leggy's back and it was just so funny coz of the height difference and the face on Lavine!

pineapple stu
19/01/2009, 12:28 PM
Team participating in Europe get the FAI training grant. Derry are also going, as they have done in previous years. We also drew 1-1 with a side from Moscow a couple of years back though can't remember if it was Locomotiv.

Didn't know that; thanks. Bad memories of Doolin taking UCD off to a training camp in Malta, which did nothing but waste the club's money as we lost the first eight games of the season.

Dodge
19/01/2009, 12:33 PM
Last year pats wanted to go to Limerick to do pre season in the national training centre there but it worked out far, far cheaper to go to Spain for the week. We played one of the Soviet teams too ;)

KevB76
19/01/2009, 6:21 PM
Last year pats wanted to go to Limerick to do pre season in the national training centre there but it worked out far, far cheaper to go to Spain for the week. We played one of the Soviet teams too ;)

I heard Mervue are going abroad for pre-season training, also to Spain I believe.

HarpoJoyce
19/01/2009, 6:47 PM

Soviet teams right...... FC Submarine Murmansk or someone like that?

Pats have had adventurist tours in the past they played Islamic Republic of Iran (0-0) and Persepolis FC(?) big team from Tehran which use to claim had 2 million supporters.

Another year, Pats were dissuaded from traveling to J. Libya by at least one Irish Institutation.
(Brian Kerr does like to collect stamps in his passport.)
I think both were planned for summer.

Guitd
19/01/2009, 9:23 PM
I heard Mervue are going abroad for pre-season training, also to Spain I believe.

no portugal --and the players are paying for it themselves by selling lotto tickets :)

MariborKev
19/01/2009, 10:51 PM

It was Dynamo. The game and result features in the recent "FC Dynamo" book about modern Russian footbal. Certainly caught me by surprise when I read it.

In terms of cost,I don't think the FAI grant comes to covering it.....

Dodge
20/01/2009, 8:32 AM
In the early 90s we drew 0-0 with iran before losing to that club side 2-0. Both games watched by 80,000. We also drew 0-0 with Tunisia shoprtly after winning the 1990 league title. A half Pats/half Bohs side did eventually go to play Libya in 1991 (possibly 92). I can't recall the score.

We also beat Finland 2-1 in a friendly in dalymount (in front of less than 1,000 people).

For the record this year Pats are not going to Spain

Raheny Red
20/01/2009, 8:42 AM
Shels went Dutch early this month for a game but was more of a **** up than anything else. All expenses were paid by the hosts :)

GalwayRed
21/01/2009, 3:48 PM
Its for defintie now confirmed on the website. We will be playing Letterkenny Rovers.

dcfcsteve
22/01/2009, 11:59 AM
In the early 90s we drew 0-0 with iran before losing to that club side 2-0. Both games watched by 80,000. We also drew 0-0 with Tunisia shoprtly after winning the 1990 league title. A half Pats/half Bohs side did eventually go to play Libya in 1991 (possibly 92). I can't recall the score.

We also beat Finland 2-1 in a friendly in dalymount (in front of less than 1,000 people).

They're the kind of mad-cap friendlies that Irish teams should play more of !

I'm sure the Pats players who made that tour of Iran have been dining out on the story of it for some time since. Did any fans make it over ?

Dodge
22/01/2009, 12:04 PM
Don't think so. In 1990 flights to Tunisia and Tehran weren't quite as handy as these days. Prices to London were about £300...

pineapple stu
22/01/2009, 12:15 PM
They're the kind of mad-cap friendlies that Irish teams should play more of !
We're the trailblazers for that, AFAIK. In the 70s, we went off to Australia, Jordan (played the national team I think), China (first western team to play there, very shortly after Chairman Mao's death), Iran I think, Mexico, and some other random places. Players had to raise their own costs, I think.

Billy-Green
22/01/2009, 3:55 PM
I heard from a source that the first team to play Rovers in tallaght will be Shels, then were goin up to play Newry

Dodge
22/01/2009, 4:58 PM
We're the trailblazers for that, AFAIK. In the 70s, we went off to Australia, Jordan (played the national team I think), China (first western team to play there, very shortly after Chairman Mao's death), Iran I think, Mexico, and some other random places. Players had to raise their own costs, I think.
Non league sides' trips don't count

LeixlipRed
22/01/2009, 5:02 PM
I heard from a source that the first team to play Rovers in tallaght will be Shels, then were goin up to play Newry

Interesting. I was hoping we'd be the first there in the league. No such luck :(

El-Pietro
22/01/2009, 5:17 PM
Cork City have agreed to play Kildare and Waterford United - also close to a deal to play Cobh

Longfordian
22/01/2009, 5:30 PM
A team of lawyers working out the finer points of the contract with Cobh yeah? ;)

El-Pietro
22/01/2009, 5:31 PM
A team of lawyers working out the finer points of the contract with Cobh yeah? ;)
indeed

everything is by the book with Cork City these days!

I assume they just need to agree on a time and date

rambler14
22/01/2009, 9:15 PM
Ramblers playing Cork City on 14th February in St. Colamsn Park also playing Kildare at some point.

adamd164
22/01/2009, 9:58 PM
Ugh, Colman's Park in February? No thanks.

I _may_ go down to Waterford to see the new stand and engage in minnow bashing.

pineapple stu
23/01/2009, 10:08 AM
Non league sides' trips don't count
Boo!!