PDA

View Full Version : First Division Games?

Iorfa2MaccaJim
15/01/2009, 2:45 PM
Hi Lads

Unless I read it wrong, it said something on the Limerick forum that some (if not all, I'm not sure), of the teams in the First Division, will play their home games on a Saturday afternoon.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

stann
15/01/2009, 2:49 PM
You did read it wrong.
A local paper in Limerick apparently has it that they will be playing their home games on Saturday afternoons this season. Then someone else said they thought it was a league decision that all Div 1 teams will be playing Saturdays (no time specified).
I have to say I've heard nothing on this and AFAIK our current position is that we'll be playing on Friday nights as always.

don ramo
15/01/2009, 2:49 PM
Hi Lads

Unless I read it wrong, it said something on the Limerick forum that some (if not all, I'm not sure), of the teams in the First Division, will play their home games on a Saturday afternoon.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

wont happen, LOI games aviod EPL games as much as they can, thats why SKY supplied floodlights all those years ago, so we could play at night and get attendances

Dodge
15/01/2009, 2:52 PM
The real reason LOI don't play saturday afternoon is so as not to clash with junior football

don ramo
15/01/2009, 2:55 PM
The real reason LOI don't play saturday afternoon is so as not to clash with junior football
LOI played saturday afternoons for years, till the premiership was formed and then moved to evening for attendance reasons, thats why SKY had to give the floodlights, or else they couldnt broadcast in ireland

stann
15/01/2009, 2:55 PM
Correct.
Bearing in mind that (in the floodlight era) live Saturday afternoon football on telly is a very recent development, only since Setanta started doing it (ignoring the Big Match and the like 20 odd years ago).

Bit confused there Don! LOI moved for the most part from Sunday afternoons to Friday nights due to the advent of Sky, then a couple of sides started with Saturday nights as it suited their purposes better.

RĂ©iteoir
15/01/2009, 3:08 PM
But it'll all be moot if a whole swathe of Prem clubs fail the Licensing - as we'll have a one division League of 22 clubs instead of a Prem of 6 clubs

oriel
15/01/2009, 3:18 PM
Prem Div clubs should all play on Friday nights and First Div on a Sat, would make for better press coverage.

And we should be fined for playing on thursday !!!!!

Youths4Ever
15/01/2009, 3:40 PM
i really hope games not on Saturday's we tried playing Saturday in our first season and it affected attendances in a negative manner. People have a lot more commitments on Saturdays than Friday night's IMO

Battery Rover
15/01/2009, 4:49 PM
You did read it wrong.I have to say I've heard nothing on this and AFAIK our current position is that we'll be playing on Friday nights as always.

I have heard nothing on this either it is totally a Limerick FC decision. The league sent out forms today asking for time and days of matches. We are considering Friday nights at 7.45pm for our games next season.

CSFShels
15/01/2009, 6:06 PM
Saturday would be handy for away trips. Don't think it'll really benefit the clubs much though.

Dodge
15/01/2009, 10:46 PM
Saturday would be handy for away trips. Don't think it'll really benefit the clubs much though.

If their amatuer part time players don't have to leave work n a friday, it might help them

jebus
15/01/2009, 10:56 PM
I think the Limerick Leader journalist got a bit confused. He was also saying that we would be moving back to the Markets Field for the start of the season, which we won't be, but if we had been we would have had to go to Saturday afternoons as the Markets Field doesn't have floodlights.

As it stands we'll be starting the season in Jackman Park on Friday nights, but the FAI apparantly want us to move to the Markets Field, if we do we'll either have to go to Saturdays or the FAI will have to stump up the cash for floodlights.

I still think we'll probably end up with one division next year as opposed to two anyway, so this FAI directive is as pie in the sky as anything

Rovers Maniac
15/01/2009, 11:03 PM
Would be amazed if we have one division, clus like us fought tooth and nail to get away from some clubs who have been down there 14 or 15 seasons.

jebus
15/01/2009, 11:26 PM
Would be amazed if we have one division, clus like us fought tooth and nail to get away from some clubs who have been down there 14 or 15 seasons.

Are you on about Sligo, Shamrock or possibly Blackburn Rovers this time?

Rovers Maniac
15/01/2009, 11:30 PM
Are you on about Sligo, Shamrock or possibly Blackburn Rovers this time?

Jebus look at my avatar man, it screams one team at you to the core !

When you come to Dublin i will support the 37's

Dunny
15/01/2009, 11:32 PM

Your a season too late, Name changed back to Limerick FC this season..;)

jebus
15/01/2009, 11:32 PM

Strange that it used to scream Shamrock Rovers once upon a time.

For someone trying to make an internet character for himself (I know a thing or two about that) that really was a rookie error my friend

monutdfc
16/01/2009, 10:06 AM
Prem Div clubs should all play on Friday nights and First Div on a Sat, would make for better press coverage.

They tried to implement that a few seasons ago (before the FAI took over), not sure how close it was to happening (the nights might have been the other way round too, first on a Friday and Prem on a Saturday)

DRDoc
16/01/2009, 10:24 AM
Waterford considering saturday nights also

don ramo
16/01/2009, 4:57 PM
saturday saturday saturday night, we wont be changing any time soon, friday personally i dont like, i cant travel most fridays, so i miss a lot of away games, some clubs have played fridays for year and years, how do they know it will affect there attendances if they switch,

stann
16/01/2009, 7:38 PM
Waterford considering saturday nights also

No they're not, not any more. Briefly talked about it at committee level before Christmas apparently but decided against it, and signalled that decision to the powers that be over two weeks ago.

Neish
17/01/2009, 10:34 AM
I think all teams Prem and 1st Div should play at least a couple of home games on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with kickoff some time between noon and 5pm. It would allow parents to bring kids to games and get them back to their beds at a decent time.

Some may say this clashes with FA Premier League but IMO people who want to sit in the pub or house watching these game rather than go support their local side have very little interest in going to LOI games

CSFShels
18/01/2009, 1:22 PM
You'd be surprised the amount of people with an interest in both. It would be madness.

Neish
18/01/2009, 7:37 PM
You'd be surprised the amount of people with an interest in both. It would be madness.

I don't have any kids but I know from speaking to parents that having all night time kick off dissuade them from bringing their kids to LOI game(as they often don't get back from these game untill after 10pm) meaning they only games they see when young are Foreign teams on TV and by the time parents deem they are old enough to go LOI games their allegiance's often already lie with foreign teams.

I'm not saying all LOI games should have a kick off at this time just 2 or 3 a season(prehaps local derbies) that don't clash with any GAA game, and if the sunday FA Premier games don't alway invlove the big 4