PDA

View Full Version : Universal Remote

noby
14/01/2009, 1:15 PM
So I was sitting on the couch last night watching snooker and listening to music, fumbling between three remotes (I think at one stage I tried to change channels with the 'phone), thinking I really should do something about it.
It's not that I live in an ultra-high tech home, but between TV, DVD, Stereo satellite box etc. there's plenty of remotes knocking about.

So any suggestions?
I was looking at the Harmony 555 as an option. Is it too much for my requirements? I like the ease of use it gets in reviews, but I don't have any fancy home cinema setup (yet).

dahamsta
14/01/2009, 2:38 PM
Harmony's are overkill imho. I bought one of the top of the line ones in an online deal last year and ended up reselling it within a couple of months. A bog standard One4All should do in your situation.

adam

dahamsta
14/01/2009, 6:32 PM
Speak of the devil.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=88902v

adam

noby
15/01/2009, 7:26 AM
A hundred quid second-hand is way out of my league. The 555 is about half that new, which is still overkill (but shiny).

dahamsta
15/01/2009, 12:19 PM
Shiny is good, but I prefer matt black meself. :)

dublinred
15/01/2009, 12:47 PM
Got a tecnik in lidl a few years ago for under a tenner easy to program and works great should be availible online.

dahamsta
15/01/2009, 2:38 PM
I actually have one of those Lidl remotes somewhere, never got around to using it. I'll have a poke around this evening, see if I can find it.

A face
15/01/2009, 5:06 PM
Got a tecnik in lidl a few years ago for under a tenner easy to program and works great should be availible online.

Are they straight forward to use? I'm just thinking of my dad ringing asking questions (which is grand, but he waits until that last minute because he doesn't want to bother us) so this might sort it out. He wont use the DVD player because its too much hassle to set it up?

noby
16/01/2009, 7:33 AM
Ease of use for kids/babysitter is a factor for me too. I liked the idea of "Watch TV2, "Watch DVD" or "Listen to music" on the Harmony. Still undecided though.

dahamsta
16/01/2009, 1:09 PM
Found it, it's a Tevion MD 81302 (http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7640/tevionrcpu8.jpg). Looking for the insructions now...

dahamsta
16/01/2009, 1:23 PM
Gottem, god I'm good! Cost me eff all so you're welcome to it if you want to try it noby.

adam

noby
16/01/2009, 1:36 PM
Cheers for the offer. I'll give it a whirl. If you don't mind incurring the postage cost, I'll buy you a pint the next time I'm in Cork.

I'll pm my address.

dahamsta
16/01/2009, 3:12 PM
Coolah boolah.

noby
21/01/2009, 7:24 AM
Well, it arrived yesterday, and after a bit of fiddling it appears to actually work (I'm not surprised that the remote works, but that I was able to get it to work).
Cheers adam.

dahamsta
21/01/2009, 10:23 AM
No worries noby, enjoy.

kingdom hoop
21/01/2009, 11:06 AM
... watching snooker and listening to music ...

Just out of enthusiastic curiosity, what were you listening to?

Allow me to frame the context of my curiosity: I was out playing snooker in the local hall the other night when the sound of Daft Punk began to beat its way up the stairs from the ruffian, pool-playing area. And so, as much as I love Daft Punk, I could not help but frown at the stark incongruence of the situation I suddenly found myself in. So - what would DJ Noby the Harmonious have cued up? :)

noby
21/01/2009, 11:22 AM
Cripes, now you've stumped me.
On heavy rotation this week is 'Opera at the Movies', and an Otis Redding double disc
Anthology, so there's a fair chance it was one of them. Or British Sea Power.

Obviously 'Snooker Loopy' wasn't to hand.

kingdom hoop
21/01/2009, 11:59 AM
On a serious note, Opera at the Movies would be a nice accompaniment to a spot of snooker. Anything classical or uplifting in a subtle way I'd say really.

On an absolutely hilarious, I'm so happy I asked the question note, 'Snooker Loopy' is the best thing I've heard in ages. Hadn't ever heard it before - indeed I never thought I'd hear a song about snooker! Any other songs out there directly about snooker I wonder? And some Robert Plant song doesn't count. :D

noby
21/01/2009, 12:11 PM
Black and White rag was the old Pot Black theme tune.
And Scott Joplin's The Entertainer was used for BBCs funny clips.

I fear we're straying into off topic territory here, but one more peson now knows 'Snooker loopy', so I feel it's justified.