PDA

View Full Version : Man City bidding E100 million for Kaka?

osarusan
14/01/2009, 12:29 PM
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7827696.stm)

Manchester City have opened talks with Italian side AC Milan over the possible transfer of superstar playmaker Kaka.

A City delegation has been in Milan and reportedly made a bid in the region of 100m euros, with a weekly wage of £500,000 on offer for the Brazilian.
I've seen on Sky that Kaka's spokesperson (not AC Milan, but the player's spokesperson) has confirmed the bid has been made.

Is it just me who thinks this is ridiculous? 500 grand a week?? Obviously teams have been spending doozens of millions on players for a while now, and paying them more per week than most people earn in 3/4 years, but this really is taking it to a new level.

I wonder how I'd feel if I were a Man City fan....would I be just delighted at the prospect of Kaka at the club, or embarrassed at this kind of potential spending, or a bit of both?

Dodge
14/01/2009, 12:32 PM
I'm sure like most fans that if they think they can afford it, they'd be happy enough with it.

Its pretty funny to read that Man City may sign Kaka in the same week they sign Wayne Bridge though

osarusan
14/01/2009, 12:44 PM
BBC Sport's Paul Fletcher says what I feel.

I personally think that £100m for a footballer is a disgusting amount – and that to pay someone £500,000 per week to kick a football, no matter how brilliantly, perfectly illustrates just how insane our world actually is.

On the other hand, City’s owner is worth a reported £15bn. He can afford to play fantasy football and is now doing so. And I could hardly blame City fans if the prospect of the Brazilian arriving at the club was a cause of real excitement.
Although I think that when you say it is ridiculous to pay somebody 500,000 a week to kick a football, no matter how brilliantly, you have to argue that to pay somebody 50%, 20%, or 10%, or even 1% of that is in a way just as ridiculous.

But I guess you're right Dodge, City fans will be happy. I dont think that "affording it" is even an issue with the club now.

endabob1
14/01/2009, 12:47 PM
Another Nail in the coffin of football as we know/knew it.

TheBoss
14/01/2009, 1:01 PM
If transfers of this size continue, then football in England will be a joke and I for one, would not take it seriously.

noby
14/01/2009, 1:08 PM
If transfers of this size continue, then football in England will be a joke and I for one, would not take it seriously.

So what's your cut off? £30M? £50M? As Osarusan said it's all funny money anyway, so leave them off.
Anyway, I think it would be worth it just to see Kaka in a relegation dog fight.

bennocelt
14/01/2009, 1:08 PM
but wouldnt it be nice for a change if they actually started to spend some of that money on some central defenders, and defensive mids? They still will be midtable after all these big name signings

Im more interested in the Serbian pair ferguson got - if they are as good as Evra and Vidic - the two gems he got last time - then it should be interesting:)

hula4
14/01/2009, 1:43 PM
according to sky sports news, kaka has turned man city down saying he wants to "grow old" at milan and even captain the club one day.

i have to say i think that is great and hope he does stay put as it shows that really great players are not motivated by money and some players can have a bit of loyalty

Dodge
14/01/2009, 1:45 PM
Loyalty my eye, he's being paid millions as it is.

old git
14/01/2009, 1:47 PM
Loyalty my eye, he's being paid millions as it is.

but not as much as man city were willing to pay :D

Kaka rejects Man City's advances
Wednesday, 14 January 2009 14:16
Brazilian superstar Kaka has insisted he wants to 'grow old' at AC Milan.

His statement is being widely accepted as a rejection of Manchester City's audacious approach for the former world footballer of the year.

City were believed to be prepared to pay €600,000-a-week to the 26-year-old.

:p wants to 'grow old ' at ac milan as opposed to ageing rapidly at man city in a relegation dogfight :p

hula4
14/01/2009, 1:49 PM
i understand that but he is still turning down an opportunity to multiply his wages by at least 3 times what he is on.

i imagine most of the real top footballers are set up for life and beyond! so they can afford to make decisions based on football matters.

i wouldnt include robinho in that bracket which is why he went to city imo

Dodge
14/01/2009, 2:33 PM
Robinho went because Real Madrid wanted him to leave.

Is there really a big difference between 200k and 500k a week. You can still afford anythign you like.

hula4
14/01/2009, 2:41 PM
i know real wanted him to leave, what i mean is i wouldnt class him as a "world class" player which is why he went to city, i know chelsea were interested as well but its obvious he went to city for the money.

whereas kaka has turned them down regardless of what money they were offering, and i cant imagine there is much difference between what robinho was on at real and what kaka is on at milan.

it just shows the difference in mentality between genuine excellance and flitting moments of brilliance

Razors left peg
15/01/2009, 7:26 PM
Looks like Milan have accepted the Man City offer now and have given Kaka permission to speak to City. The size of this transfer fee is beyond madness and will inflate the price of any top player that any club wants to buy now. Surely for example if Real Madrid want to buy Ronaldo in the summer the fee will have to be somewhere in the region of this transfer fee... and I would be afraid to even consider what Messi could be worth.
Really hope for the sake of football Kaka tells them to stick their offer

Mr Maroon
15/01/2009, 9:35 PM
They released a statement saying the club is considering the offer, not that they've accepted it or given Kaka permission to speak to City.

Razors left peg
15/01/2009, 9:39 PM
They release a statement saying the club is considering the offer, not that they've accepted it or given Kaka permission to speak to City.

According to Sky Sports News they have given Kaka permission

jebus
15/01/2009, 10:52 PM
People all over the internet saying that paying a player 500k a week would be the death of football, as if paying a player 100k a week somehow keeps them in touch with the common man :rolleyes:

Football at the top level has been dying for a long while now, anyone who says otherwise is a blinkered fool, it's one of the only reasons that we can boast about our support for our own pathetic league to the barstoolers. Anyone who has every read anything on Bill Shankly, who is commonly regarded as one of the greatest footballing men of all time, will see how far the game has gone from what it used to be.

Jesus I'm pining for days when I wasn't even born, normally it's just my mother who does that :o

superfrank
15/01/2009, 11:11 PM
People all over the internet saying that paying a player 500k a week would be the death of football, as if paying a player 100k a week somehow keeps them in touch with the common man :rolleyes:
Thank you very much, Jimmy Hill.

Dodge
15/01/2009, 11:16 PM
Jesus I'm pining for days when I wasn't even born, normally it's just my mother who does that :o

dramaqueen

Personally i think it'd be worse if one of the established teams paid that mooney for him. I'd love to see man City be successful. The more teams that can challenge the better

jebus
15/01/2009, 11:25 PM
dramaqueen

She is that and all

Cymro
16/01/2009, 5:52 AM
But Dodge, by ramping up the transfer fees/wages being paid, assuming they continue that throughout their squad, Man City will only be making things less competitive, because let's face it, no-one can afford to pay wages of £500,000 per week based on anything like a sensible, sustainable financial plan.

dublinred
16/01/2009, 9:27 AM
I have come across dialogue between Man City and AC Milan superstar Kaka. Unfortunately I only have the script from the City end but I think it is clear for all as to the total content:

"Hello, is that Kaka? How do you fancy becoming the supply line to Craig Bellamy and Darius Vassell this winter?

"No, your fellow countryman doesn’t like the cold and will be out until mid April - but you will play alongside Stephen Ireland"

"No, Kaka, Ireland is a person not a country"

"yes, I fully appreciate that he is not Ronaldinho, Pirlo or even Beckham but many fans have him in their fantasy football"

"I know you are currently the richest man in Italy but we can double it!"

"erm, well, we have had a bit of a slide recently and we are currently 15th"

"erm, out of 20...... but Mark Hughes once won the double for our neighbours"

"Hughes"

"Ex Blackburn boss"

"Blackburn, Blackburn Rovers"

"No, Blackburn......Black.....Burn"

"HUGHES man, HUGHES!!!"

"He once scored a good goal against Spain"

"No, thats Gerry Armstrong..... anyway, are you coming or not?"

"Usually about two thirds full but if we play a big team its really rocks"

"yes I know, but we dont even have a car park cos all the fans walk to the ground they are so local"

"Relevance? well, I suppose its all they have to brag about whether its true or not"

"Only the one to be fair but its called 'blue moon' you will love it"

"Blue"

"yes, definitely blue, always has been"

"No, no, no, they are in Trafford"

"yes they are, steeped in it in fact but what good is history to you my ambitious friend?"

"erm, 1976 I think"

"it was the er, the er League cup if memory serves me right"

"Well, the plan was to get in the top 4 this season and then....."

"yes, I realise that but....."

"Aston Villa? Whats it got to do with them?"

"Yes, I know but we have been down this history route already"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know about Nottingham Forest?"

"Yes, yes, and Leeds United also made a final but you are missing my point, this is all about the future"

"Give me strength......HUGHES!!!!"

"yes I know he did and he was a legend there but he is a changed man"

"forget them, they are falling apart"

"But all those trophies were won last year! They have won nothing in 2009"

"I have told you.... 1976!!!!"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know that Virginia Wade has won Wimbledon since then?"

"Yes she probably is in her 60's"

"I dont know, probably about 10 league titles, 2 european cups and countless domestic cups what has that got to do with it?"

"76,000 why?"

"yes, every game, even minor cups I suppose, but where is this getting us?"

"Yes, the league cup is considered a minor cup over here why?"

"I know, I know, I know, ok perhaps they won the FA Cup in 1970 or something does it really matter?"

"look, Kaka, we will treble whatever you are on now, buy you a mansion in Alderley Edge and give you a helicopter for your front lawn....are you joining us?"

"NO!, its owned by the council - what has the ground got to do with anything"

"well, officially its the city of manchester stadium but most people call it Eastlands"

"EAST!, not Waste"

"You will be adored there"

"No, not there, here I meant"

"No, thats Old Trafford, I meant adored here at Waste....erm, Eastlands"

"Anderson??? what does he know?"

"Ok I hear what you say, but other than Pride, Ambition, Achievement, History, Passion and a large car park - what can they offer you?"

"what do you mean no credit left in your phone.....I phoned you"

"Hello, Mr Kaka,...... Mr Kaka are you there?............................YOU RED B*ST*RD!!!!!"

Dodge
16/01/2009, 9:28 AM
So what? Madrid have shown that the galactico method of buyonng players doesn't always work. As an outsider it'd be good fun for a while, and if they crash and burn, well, that'll be good fun too

shakermaker1982
16/01/2009, 9:39 AM
This is City remember. He'll go and break his leg 10 minutes into his debut and never play again!

Schumi
16/01/2009, 10:05 AM
But Dodge, by ramping up the transfer fees/wages being paid, assuming they continue that throughout their squad, Man City will only be making things less competitive, because let's face it, no-one can afford to pay wages of £500,000 per week based on anything like a sensible, sustainable financial plan.People said the same when Chelsea started spending but they haven't pulled away from the rest.

Dillo
16/01/2009, 10:14 AM
As Economist Arsene Wenger rightly pointed out yesterday, the implications [of a £100million transfer] would be disturbance on the market. Inflationary trend in a deflationary world.

Cymro
16/01/2009, 10:16 AM
Well I can't believe I'm saying this but even Chelsea's transfer fees and wages seem petty compared to this. If this becomes the norm for Man City, then I would expect the top players to gravitate there quite rapidly.

Reply to Dodge/Schumi by the way.

Dodge
16/01/2009, 10:17 AM
Insightful stuff

Cymro
16/01/2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you Dodge. It IS insightful. Glad someone here is appreciating my talents (not before time). :D :p

Noelys Guitar
16/01/2009, 5:21 PM
"Big Malcolm Allison" signed Steve Daly for City (second million pound player in England). What a shambles that turned out to be. City will have to bring in someone like Mourinho if they want to win major honours. I like Mark Hughes but feel players like Robinho and are going to undermine him.

Scram
18/01/2009, 9:36 AM
Beckham - LA Galaxy! "Superstar" Says "it's about "It's about playing with the best team with the best players in the world!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7830199.stm)

And David Beckham predicted the Brazilian would opt to stay at the San Siro.

"I don't think anybody in the dressing room is thinking about how much money they can earn," said the England international.

"It's about playing with the best team with the best players in the world and winning trophies and it's not always about money.

"Riccardo doesn't need my advice. He will decide what he wants to do, but he loves Milan. I don't think he will leave."

Now, we all know the guy is a clown but c'mon! From the guy who left Real Madrid for $250k p.a. at MLS struggler LA Galaxy, to play with legends like Landon Donovan and Peter Vagenas!:D:D

brianw82
18/01/2009, 12:09 PM
to play with legends like Landon Donovan and Peter Vagenas!:D:D

I'm sure he had lots of fun with the latter. :D

Scram
19/01/2009, 9:04 AM
Quote:
to play with legends like Landon Donovan and Peter Vagenas!

I'm sure he had lots of fun with the latter. :D

Yeah, it's like a name for a Bond Girl. Pet her ...what?

Longfordian
19/01/2009, 9:41 PM
Kaka has turned City down. But according to City he hasn't, they've turned him down..riiight.. It's like being told to get lost by a girl you're after and then mouthing off to all and sundry that you never liked her anyway.

Razors left peg
19/01/2009, 10:04 PM
Kaka has turned City down. But according to City he hasn't, they've turned him down..riiight.. It's like being told to get lost by a girl you're after and then mouthing off to all and sundry that you never liked her anyway.

Fantastic news

gustavo
19/01/2009, 11:01 PM
Beckham - LA Galaxy! "Superstar" Says "it's about "It's about playing with the best team with the best players in the world!! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7830199.stm)

And David Beckham predicted the Brazilian would opt to stay at the San Siro.

"I don't think anybody in the dressing room is thinking about how much money they can earn," said the England international.

"It's about playing with the best team with the best players in the world and winning trophies and it's not always about money.

"Riccardo doesn't need my advice. He will decide what he wants to do, but he loves Milan. I don't think he will leave."

Now, we all know the guy is a clown but c'mon! From the guy who left Real Madrid for $250k p.a. at MLS struggler LA Galaxy, to play with legends like Landon Donovan and Peter Vagenas!:D:D
Yea he never won anything at club level :rolleyes:

Longfordian
19/01/2009, 11:38 PM
Now Robinho's flown home to Brazil in a strop apparently, he walked out of their training camp in Spain today.

Sligo Hornet
20/01/2009, 9:55 AM
Now Robinho's flown home to Brazil in a strop apparently, he walked out of their training camp in Spain today.

Don't blame him.....Tenerife is a bit of a kip!;)

old git
20/01/2009, 11:19 AM

it was only a smokescreen by city to take heat of their main transfer target..
who needs kaka when you sign bellamy for £ 14 million :D:D

Noelys Guitar
20/01/2009, 1:58 PM
Robinho never got to Tenerife. He flew directly from Manchester to Brazil by private jet without informing Hughes or anybody else at City. Probably turn up in about 3 weeks. Or maybe not depending on his mood.

Longfordian
20/01/2009, 2:17 PM
Apparently it was or is his 25th birthday and he wasn't going to spend it at some poxy training camp and that was the bottom line. Goes to show how much respect he has for the club and his manager. They're also paying £16m for De Jong who's available in the summer for £1.8m due to a clause in his contract. Sensible.

Noelys Guitar
22/01/2009, 3:03 PM
The latest from the Robinho camp is comedy classic stuff. "We thought there was a winter break in English football".