PDA

View Full Version : City 1 - 0 Derry how it went

Counting Crow
14/11/2003, 11:16 PM
For those of you not able to make it here's how I saw it.

A bit edgy at times - still suffering from Tuesday night I think.

Interesting line up though:
Devine 7
Hoggy 8 Coughlan 6 Murray 7 Woods 7
Doyle 8 O'Grady 6 Nwankwo 7 Casey 7
George 9 Nolan 7

Hoggy I think has been brilliant all season and played really well tonight. Others to impress were Nwankwo who showed really good touches and wasn't afraid to get stuck in for a small fellow particularly if he lost the ball. Jammie Nolan played really well - full of running ( he's fast - reminds me of Flynny ) put in a really solid performance for his debut. Casy played much better than previous games despite a few lapses in concentration.

George was class.
Again worked his nuts off and showed some blinding bits of brilliance ....... his attempted chip / cross in front of the shed was Gazza Outrageous but worth the admission alone.

Good save from Devine in the first half - on the line.

City had several half chances before half time and did look like we had the measure of them come the second half. It was always going to be tense and really, it was all about the result tonight and I thought they did really well to keep the pressure on and finally getthe goal we wanted.

Great goal from Doyler. Brilliant cross and a little flick into the far corner had us all going mad ( how ironic that it could be an ex Pat's player that finishes their dream of Euro football :D

Some heart stopping scrambles at our end in the last 2-3 minutes but we held out.

So it is right back in our hands again - roll on Latvia or Belarus or Siberia in the Inter Toto......!

:cool:

davybarry boy
14/11/2003, 11:29 PM
what did u think of greg out he was realy missed

thecorner
15/11/2003, 12:04 AM
delighted greg was dropped, everyone knows here what i think about him

he wasnt missed one bit
midfield was more creative, was only a matter of time b4 we scored

didnt think much of nwa nko in his previous camoe apperances but he looked very good 2nite. id nearly name him man of the match

as for georgie,how r we holding onto him........the man is pure GENIUS

ian
15/11/2003, 8:01 AM
The corner that is not what I herd last night all, I herd from were I was standing was that he was show bothing and all that fancey foot work.

As for the rest of the team??????

Counting Crow
15/11/2003, 9:17 AM
It is unbelieveable that we have an element in our crowd that perscute the "genieus that is George".

Every other Club in the country would sell their mother to get him.

Of course not every trick is going to come off but the fact that we are seeing these tricks come from a Corkman in City colours rather than some over hyped Sky Premiership player, over here on tour, is just fantastic. It's also what's going to attract the crowds. Who would these muppetts rather watch - Herrick & Flannagan or George?

I'll bet those people that gave him a hard time last night Ian, were the same people that cheered when Bolton scored against us earlier in the year or nearly wet themsleves every time JJ Ococha ( don't know how this spelt ..... and don't care ) touched the ball. SAD.

Oh I forgot to add it my original post - what about Doyler tonight. He is going to be a star and we will be talking about him in the same light as George and Flynny next season - mark my words.

Have a great World Cup Doyler ........ you deserve it mate, and we'll see you in April.

p.s.
Read his interview in the program - he's lovin' it down here in Cork - couldn't wait to get out of Dublin. The guy is class ...... and still only 20.

thecorner
15/11/2003, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by ian
The corner that is not what I herd last night all, I herd from were I was standing was that he was show bothing and all that fancey foot work.

As for the rest of the team??????

u must have been listening to yourself ian

moaning about georgie the whole game

did u shave off ur moustache and move from the donie ford stand;)

TheNorthsider
15/11/2003, 7:21 PM
who would these muppets rather watch- Herrick & Flanagan or George?

Couldnt have put it better myself;)

DolansWaistcoat
16/11/2003, 6:58 PM
Georgie show boats,it's great a lot of the time but can get on my nerves at times.Get over it lads the sun doesn't shine out of his arse like ye think it does.

great player we all know it though,just needs to cut it out every now and then

razor
17/11/2003, 9:04 AM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
George was class.
Again worked his nuts off and showed some blinding bits of brilliance ....... his attempted chip / cross in front of the shed was Gazza Outrageous but worth the admission alone.

You are correct, George is class but there is a time and a place for everything and at 0-0 with time ticking away, it was neither the time nor the place for such antics, he had Billy outside him waiting to put in a cross.
I'd much rather he got the ball in the box and gave us a chance at scoring than tried an audacious flicky boo.
Brilliant he is and I must applaud his workrate but he frustrates the hell out of me at times.

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2003, 10:34 AM
I agree with you 100% Razor the man IS great but he can be frustrating as hell.I tried to make my point in a post about George showboating and I was slaughtered from all angles.

Éanna
18/11/2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by razor
You are correct, George is class but there is a time and a place for everything and at 0-0 with time ticking away, it was neither the time nor the place for such antics, he had Billy outside him waiting to put in a cross.
I'd much rather he got the ball in the box and gave us a chance at scoring than tried an audacious flicky boo.
Brilliant he is and I must applaud his workrate but he frustrates the hell out of me at times.
no arguing with that at all. I thought Nwankwo and Nolan both had excellnt games, all in all some nervy moments but there were a few gems out there we haven't seen much of yet. As for Doyler, if it wasn't for george he'd be player of the season, he's been magic.