PDA

View Full Version : Robert Elliot G Gateshead b.1986

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

richieos
12/01/2009, 11:17 PM
I was on another forum earlier and a charlton fan gave his opinions on darren randolph. he said that ireland fans would be better off turning their attentions to Robert Elliot, the 22 year old keeper who is now first choice for them

here is the link to his wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Elliot

has anyone ever seen him play? theres a serious lack of good goalkeepers coming through for us

dr_peepee
13/01/2009, 9:28 AM
I was on another forum earlier and a charlton fan gave his opinions on darren randolph. he said that ireland fans would be better off turning their attentions to Robert Elliot, the 22 year old keeper who is now first choice for them

here is the link to his wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Elliot

has anyone ever seen him play? theres a serious lack of good goalkeepers coming through for us

I dunno. I think the days of Given, Keily and Kelly were the exception to the rule in terms of goalkeeping depth and I think now we're a bit better off than we were say 18 months ago with Colgan.

We've a few years left with Given. Westwood from Coventry is attracting alot of media speculation about potential moves to the premiership (as his Kenny, though for less desirable reasons). Murphy is Championship standard. And the futures still in the air for Doyle, Supple & Randolph

OwlsFan
13/01/2009, 10:02 AM
He's a busy man if he's the Charlton keeper. Bottom of the Championship and conceding a lot of goals.

Stuttgart88
13/01/2009, 10:22 AM
Watched him on telly recently. Very strong kick, confident demeanour but average enough 'keeper. Not overly tall.

tetsujin1979
17/09/2011, 2:14 PM
on the bench today for Newcastle

theworm2345
20/09/2011, 6:29 PM
Makes his debut tonight in the Carling Cup

theworm2345
20/09/2012, 5:12 PM
Starts tonight in the Europa League for Newcastle, only his second appearance for them. Just made a nice save to keep it at 0-0. I'm not sure why it appears there is not a single fan in the stadium...possibly a ban.

tricky_colour
20/09/2012, 8:18 PM
He's a busy man if he's the Charlton keeper. Bottom of the Championship and conceding a lot of goals.

Well at least he is getting plenty of practise :)

Olé Olé
20/09/2012, 10:56 PM
Fair play, he kept a clean sheet in Europe. But he has his work cut out for him if he's going to keep Mark Bunn out of the Ireland side!

gastric
20/09/2012, 11:38 PM
Fair play, he kept a clean sheet in Europe. But he has his work cut out for him if he's going to keep Mark Bunn out of the Ireland side!

A cheap, nasty and vindictive post obviously aimed at me! While there is certainly a lot of tension between us, I have tried to diffuse the tension in the debate as it was going nowhere ( time will tell what happens). The same debate nearly started to infest the Mark O'Brien thread (not instigated by you, but another poster) and now it has started here. If anyone wants to continue this debate, go back to the Mark Bunn thread.

Olé Olé
21/09/2012, 12:38 AM
A cheap, nasty and vindictive post obviously aimed at me! While there is certainly a lot of tension between us, I have tried to diffuse the tension in the debate as it was going nowhere ( time will tell what happens). The same debate nearly started to infest the Mark O'Brien thread (not instigated by you, but others) and now it has started here. If anyone wants to continue this debate, go back to the Mark Bunn thread.

No need for such melodrama. It was a post directed at the OP which asked "Robert Elliott- Future Ireland Keeper?". I thought the Mark Bunn reference was apt in this context and was meant in light humour, not offence.

In order to ensure this post maintains Rob Elliott-relevance... this guy's namesake played for Newcastle too. He wasn't a bad left-back. I wonder would he have troubled Ian Harte for a spot.

gastric
21/09/2012, 12:56 AM
No need for such melodrama. It was a post directed at the OP which asked "Robert Elliott- Future Ireland Keeper?". I thought the Mark Bunn reference was apt in this context and was meant in light humour, not offence.

In order to ensure this post maintains Rob Elliott-relevance... this guy's namesake played for Newcastle too. He wasn't a bad left-back. I wonder would he have troubled Ian Harte for a spot.

There is no melodrama, but I am sick of our argument appearing in other threads. Your latest post continues this.and you seem to want me to react.

Adrock
21/09/2012, 12:57 AM
This guy played one friendly pre season under-19 match some 8 or 9 years ago, then never represented Ireland again. I doubt he's even eligible to play for us even if he was inclined to.

gastric
21/09/2012, 1:17 AM
Moving on to the game itself, watched it this morning, weird ground in terms of design and I agree with you Worm, the home fans must have been banned for some reason as the only cheering seemed to be for Newcastle. Hard to rate Elliott as he didn't have much to do, however, he did make two saves of note. On his eligibility, I am sure he is eligible, another possible option for us.

Olé Olé
21/09/2012, 1:33 AM
There is no melodrama, but I am sick of our argument appearing in other threads. Your latest post continues this.and you seem to want me to react.

There clearly is melodrama again in this post. Melodrama in the fact that you state "other threads" in plural, when this is the only reference I have made to Mark Bunn or our 'debate' outside of the Mark Bunn thread so I'm not quite sure how you could be "sick of" it appearing elsewhere. I think you've mixed me up with someone else. I haven't continued anything, I've made a light-hearted joke which you've seen reason to take umbrage with.

gastric
21/09/2012, 2:35 AM
Read post 10 please. if you want to continue this, go to the Mark Bunn thread. Did you watch the game last night and if you did, what did you think of Elliot's performance?

Colbert Report
21/09/2012, 4:18 AM
Will you two just get a room already?

Where is he on Newcastle's depth chart, third behind Krul and Harper?

gastric
21/09/2012, 8:44 AM
l
Will you two just get a room already?

Where is he on Newcastle's depth chart, third behind Krul and Harper?

Point taken Colbert. Pardew very happy with Elliot's performance - I thought he did okay.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-reaction/274164/pardew-lauds-elliot

theworm2345
04/10/2012, 9:54 PM
Had to be removed towards the end of the first half today due to injury. Was watching at work so couldn't have the sound on so I'm not sure what it was.

gastric
04/10/2012, 11:24 PM
He seemed to play well in the first half. can't find out the nature of his injury though.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-report/274201/newcastle-united-v-bordeaux

TheBoss
04/10/2012, 11:47 PM
For the doubters, UEFA have him as Irish:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/clubs/player=250051273/index.html

theworm2345
08/11/2012, 5:05 PM
Had to be removed towards the end of the first half today due to injury. Was watching at work so couldn't have the sound on so I'm not sure what it was.
Back in the squad for Newcastle's Europa League match tonight, on the bench in fact. Trickovski is playing for Brugge...remembered him from scoring against us for Macedonia.

theworm2345
06/12/2012, 4:57 PM
Starts tonight for Newcastle in the Europa League. Just pulled off a great save too.

Charlie Darwin
24/02/2013, 9:43 PM
Just realised he made his Premier League debut today in the win vs Southampton. Conceded within three minutes!

fionnsci
24/02/2013, 9:46 PM
Not a whole lot he could've done about the goals. Had some nice saves and set up a wonder goal. Wonder if Trap knows about him.

ArdeeBhoy
25/02/2013, 1:36 PM
Maybe in around 10 years time.
:rolleyes:
If he's still alive...

DannyInvincible
26/02/2013, 2:37 PM
Elliot will be called up for the friendly against England in May, according to the Irish Daily Star: http://www.98fm.com/2013/category-news-sport/category-sport/elliot-ireland-2013-2602/

It’s claimed Newcastle United goalkeeper Rob Elliot is on the brink of a full Republic of Ireland call-up. The 26 year old – who made his Premier League debut in the 4-2 win over Southampton at the weekend – was capped for Ireland at Under 19 level – all of 9 years ago. The Irish Daily Star today says the English-born Elliot will be called in for the big friendly with England at Wembley in May.

paul_oshea
26/02/2013, 3:28 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/22/newcastle-united-tim-krul

krul out for 5 weeks, hopefully wont get back in, we need a keeper playing higher than Milwall week in/week out.

SkStu
26/02/2013, 5:37 PM
does the Norwegian lad count Paul? Sean McDermott. Is that a higher level do you think? Genuinely curious.

Ive always felt that the argument about what level a player plays at being relevant to how good he is is less relevant for goalkeepers than it is for an outfield player. If you can save a blemmer in Div 2, you can probably save a blemmer in Div 1, and so on...

Irish_Praha
26/02/2013, 6:57 PM
does the Norwegian lad count Paul? Sean McDermott. Is that a higher level do you think? Genuinely curious.

Ive always felt that the argument about what level a player plays at being relevant to how good he is is less relevant for goalkeepers than it is for an outfield player. If you can save a blemmer in Div 2, you can probably save a blemmer in Div 1, and so on...

I think that is probably true if you just compare their shot-stopping abilities and perhaps a few other attributes but you would expect the 'keeper playing at a higher level to have a better all round game and "should" be less likely to have a few brain-farts per game.

paul_oshea
27/02/2013, 8:30 AM
I'd agree with everything IP said above to be honest.

I think concentration and game changers/clambers are the big difference.

SkStu
27/02/2013, 4:06 PM
Yeah, id agree too overall but i just think that - strictly compared to an outfield player being in the same scenario - a keeper playing in a lesser division has a better chance of holding his own or being successful when thrown in at a higher level without deficiencies being so apparent. Does that make sense?

The real question I was curious about was around McDermott in the Norwegian premier league and whether people think that level (playing against pretty successful teams as mentioned in the article) would be higher than Milwall? Its pretty close for me...

Sleepingpartner
27/02/2013, 6:25 PM
If you can save a blemmer in Div 2, you can probably save a blemmer in Div 1, and so on...
A blemmer. Are you sure?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blemmer

DannyInvincible
27/02/2013, 10:17 PM
The real question I was curious about was around McDermott in the Norwegian premier league and whether people think that level (playing against pretty successful teams as mentioned in the article) would be higher than Milwall? Its pretty close for me...

Which successful teams/article are you referring to? Rosenborg, Molde and the like? The Tippeligaen is ranked 27th in Europe (http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2013.html). For comparison, the League of Ireland is ranked 36th at present whilst the SPL is ranked 24th, so I guess the standard would be somewhere in between there, if that provides any greater insight. I reckon Millwall would play at a higher standard and would regularly face tougher sides in the Championship than those against whom Sandnes Ulf would compete in the Norwegian league, but I can't say for certain.

For what it's worth, Sandnes Ulf finished bottom of the table last season, although won the relegation play-off, so managed to remain in the top division.

peadar1987
27/02/2013, 10:30 PM
Which successful teams/article are you referring to? Rosenborg, Molde and the like? The Tippeligaen is ranked 27th in Europe (http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2013.html). For comparison, the League of Ireland is ranked 36th at present whilst the SPL is ranked 24th, so I guess the standard would be somewhere in between there, if that provides any greater insight. I reckon Millwall would play at a higher standard and would regularly face tougher sides in the Championship than those against whom Sandnes Ulf would compete in the Norwegian league, but I can't say for certain.

For what it's worth, Sandnes Ulf finished bottom of the table last season, although won the relegation play-off, so managed to remain in the top division.

The Bray of Norway

BonnieShels
27/02/2013, 10:44 PM
The Bray of Norway

Incidentally ulf is Norwegian for cockroach

peadar1987
27/02/2013, 11:07 PM
Incidentally ulf is Norwegian for cockroach

Damn you BonnieShels, you made me go all the way to google translate. A sign that it's time for sleep I think!

DannyInvincible
28/02/2013, 6:00 AM
Did Elliot actually play for us at under-19 level then or did 98FM just get that off Wiki?

tetsujin1979
28/02/2013, 9:24 AM
according to soccerscene, he played in a friendly against Slovenia at Richmond Park in 2004: http://www.soccerscene.ie/ss19/matchdetails.php?id=94
That's the only record of him playing, and since it was a friendly he might not be eligible

paul_oshea
28/02/2013, 9:33 AM
Yeah, id agree too overall but i just think that - strictly compared to an outfield player being in the same scenario - a keeper playing in a lesser division has a better chance of holding his own or being successful when thrown in at a higher level without deficiencies being so apparent. Does that make sense?

Ya, I understood what you were getting at, but I don't really know enough about the Norwegian league relative to the lower ends of the 1st division/upper 2nd division or this keeper to make a statement at this time.

geysir
28/02/2013, 10:12 AM
Damn you BonnieShels, you made me go all the way to google translate. A sign that it's time for sleep I think!
A perfect hook, line and sinker.

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 10:48 AM
A perfect hook, line and sinker.

Why thank you. I was quite proud of that one myself.

ArdeeBhoy
28/02/2013, 10:56 AM
The Norwegian League is mainly pants.

Unless it's Rosenborg, reckon even Millwall or most of the SPL would be a higher standard...

geysir
28/02/2013, 11:42 AM
I though youngirish had the exclusive on the usage of 'pants'.

paul_oshea
28/02/2013, 12:48 PM
I just thought no one used that word anymore.

nigel-harps1954
28/02/2013, 3:21 PM
The Norwegian League is mainly pants.

Unless it's Rosenborg, reckon even Millwall or most of the SPL would be a higher standard...

So, League of Ireland standard then ;)

ArdeeBhoy
28/02/2013, 4:21 PM
Possibly, but probably higher than LOI.
;)

nigel-harps1954
28/02/2013, 6:31 PM
possibly, but probably higher than loi.
;)

lol. ;)

ArdeeBhoy
01/03/2013, 12:58 PM