PDA

View Full Version : Doolin for Cork.....?

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
12/01/2009, 4:16 PM
Apparently about to be announced.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear......

(Let's see how long this lasts on the main forum...... :D)

passerrby
12/01/2009, 4:24 PM
lets hope he does not go through bail na blaith

Longfordian
12/01/2009, 4:27 PM
It'll be eventful I'm sure.

John83
12/01/2009, 4:27 PM
Those poor *******s. Comiserations, Cork fans.

Danny
12/01/2009, 4:29 PM
Pete mahon as assistant, just mutually agreed to be given the bullet by UCDD

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 4:30 PM
There's no way in hell Pete would be assistant to Doolin? The two don't exactly get along since Doolin's rantings in 2004. :confused:

(Also, Pete was offered a new contract, so wasn't given the bullet)

adamd164
12/01/2009, 4:51 PM
Doolin arrived in Cork today. Press conference in the morning.

Let's hope he brings half the Drogs squad down with him.

Also, Colin Healy signed a new contract with us this afternoon

http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=754

DRDoc
12/01/2009, 4:51 PM
I would be amazedif Doolin ended up at the cross

adamd164
12/01/2009, 4:53 PM
He's here now lad.

passerrby
12/01/2009, 4:55 PM

dont you mean on the cross

Longfordian
12/01/2009, 5:02 PM
He's always had a bit of a persecution complex alright.

Inside Man
12/01/2009, 5:11 PM
This Main furom has turned into a boring joke. About the same old same old, attendances, financial gloom blah blah blah. Then a story like this comes along and they move it to the cork forum where, lets face it, most of us aren't bothered going to or didn't hear about the story in the first place. EG. The Alan Mattews thread. This Forum is where i hear all the stories on the league. And it was a week after when i was chatting to a mate when i heard about it, if it was left here I would have known way sooner and it would be discussed more, I don't go through the Cork Forum or any other club for that fact, because simply there are too many. This is News everybody here considers important to the league, why move it?:confused:

Leave these threads where we want them mods.
--------

Oh and on the case, poor poor Cork. Get rid of Mattews for Doolin. No sense behind that.

gufct
12/01/2009, 5:51 PM
RTE News quotes Doolin that no deal agreed yet. Tom the Gom definiely has a rival.

adamd164
12/01/2009, 6:10 PM
No deal agreed this afternoon when Doolin told them that.

eamo1
12/01/2009, 6:11 PM
Agree about threads being moved,being overly fussy i think.

adamd164
12/01/2009, 6:23 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0112/doolinp.html

sheao
12/01/2009, 9:26 PM
Looks very likely he will become manager now.I hope he will bring most of the Drogs squad with him :D .

LeixlipRed
12/01/2009, 9:39 PM
How would that work? You have no money to pay your old manager never mind some new players.

John83
12/01/2009, 9:54 PM
How would that work? You have no money to pay your old manager never mind some new players.
Magic beans.

superfrank
12/01/2009, 10:25 PM
Is it not a bit ironic that they keeping opting for Dubs to manage them?

Seriously, I don't really know what to think about him being appointed (if). He won trophies at Drogs but then he spend a fortune and it doesn't seem like he had any real settled squad.

I think it all depends on how much money Cork give him to work. The UCD fans seem to think he can't do a job with no money.

HarpoJoyce
12/01/2009, 10:39 PM
....... The UCD fans seem to think he can't do a job with no money.

Usually yes but there's loads of work around the Campus he could do for no money.

John83
12/01/2009, 10:41 PM
...The UCD fans seem to think he can't do a job with no money.
He left UCD complaining bitterly about there not being enough money, having broken our youth system. I'd have no confidence that he can do much without money. Oh, and he took the core of a team which qualified for the Intertoto Cup via the league and left us so far adrift that even a spectacular end of season run couldn't catch Drogheda - who, before he could buy players, went on a dismal run at the start of his time there.

Longfordian
12/01/2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah said dismal run included being beaten 5-0 by us at United Park. I've fond memories of that one.

razor
13/01/2009, 8:00 AM
Is it not a bit ironic that they keeping opting for Dubs to manage them?Ironic isn't the word i'd use, nauseating maybe. one whinging jackeen replaced by another, will we ever learn?

tiktok
13/01/2009, 8:02 AM

More Shels fans with access to Tom Coughlan's bank account I see, I'm amazed that you weren't able to turn all that insider informatio you have on other clubs into a promotion last season.

I can't stand Doolin, always hated playing his teams, always hated watching his teams.

The one thing I will say is that once he had a decent squad assembled in Drogheda he did well, he's starting from a strgoner position with the players at his disposal at Cork than he's had previously, I don't see a situation where he'd need to spend much in the current climate to get the current squad competitive.

HammerNThongs
13/01/2009, 8:09 AM
Awful, awful manager. But he's a manager which means this is still better then Tom Coughlan taking training

SeanDrog
13/01/2009, 8:10 AM
More Shels fans with access to Tom Coughlan's bank account I see, I'm amazed that you weren't able to turn all that insider informatio you have on other clubs into a promotion last season.

I can't stand Doolin, always hated playing his teams, always hated watching his teams.

The one thing I will say is that once he had a decent squad assembled in Drogheda he did well, he's starting from a strgoner position with the players at his disposal at Cork than he's had previously, I don't see a situation where he'd need to spend much in the current climate to get the current squad competitive.

I would disagree, we had (on paper) a much stronger squad last season (7-8 strikers alone) and he made a balls of the season. I appreciate you as a non drog would only have seen a handful of games under his stewardship but on a whole he was a disaster, he never knew his first 11 and his man managemnet is now famous. I am shocked that it appears cork are seriously looking at him. Yes we won the league but it was (for me) the cash that bought it and I firmly believe that if we had any other manager in the league that year we would still have won the league. The amount of really poor palyers he signed was also crazy - Thiam being the last one). yes ins ome games we played great stuff but it was always the big occassions and hence I place those performances on the players motivating themselves for these games but in the standard matches we were aweful and no halftime talk ever saw us turn things around.

I know other Drogs will disagree with me but thats my position.

Best of luck with him but I would be shocked if he works out for you.

pete
13/01/2009, 9:53 AM
Wanted to cry when I heard this morning.

Don't rate him as manager at all & unconvinced he can develop players (almost every player in Drogs squad was bought in). I presume he getting the job because he is cheap.

That said Matthews had City playing better football than Longford but he also had better players.

pineapple stu
13/01/2009, 10:00 AM
unconvinced he can develop players
UCD is all about developing players. That's why he failed, and more so as he signed players and others, developed by Martin Moran, the Doc and Theo, left.

Heliodorus
13/01/2009, 10:09 AM
If Doolin hasn't signed yet I would get Pete Mahon who I have great regard for and always have had (and this new harsher economic climate suits him even more so). On the other hand even Doolin is better than Matthews imo.

A face
13/01/2009, 10:41 AM
On the other hand even Doolin is better than Matthews imo.

Sheeze, steady on there i'd say :eek:

Mahon would definitely play a better brand of football, thats for sure. Pete in for five years to steady the ship, i say sign the guy up straight away, he is exactly what we need.

adamd164
13/01/2009, 3:06 PM
2 year contract signed.

WindmillWarrior
13/01/2009, 3:29 PM
Would just like to say ha ha ha

A face
13/01/2009, 3:30 PM
2 year contract signed.

Oh well, we'll just have to get on with it so :o:(

tiktok
13/01/2009, 3:44 PM
Doolin Out!!!! :D

pineapple stu
13/01/2009, 3:50 PM
Would just like to say ha ha ha
You're just bitter; you're blinded by a petty hatred for Doolin. It's so obvious it's ridiculous.

Been waiting years to say that. :p

pete
13/01/2009, 3:51 PM
2 year contract signed.

Always rated him & he is a winner. Other clubs are just jealous!

adamd164
13/01/2009, 3:56 PM
Confirmed.

Cork City FC are delighted to announce the appointment of Paul Doolin as Manager.
Doolin, who has won a host of honours as a player and a league title, FAI Cup and two Setanta Sports Cups as manager, this afternoon put pen to paper on a two-year contract with the club and will be officially unveiled on Thursday.

Speaking exclusively to CorkCityFC.ie this afternoon, Doolin said that he was looking forward to the task of managing the Rebel Army: “First and foremost I would like to thank Tom Coughlan and Cork City for giving me the opportunity to manage the club. Cork City is a big club with a proud history, a club which has been successful and we want to build on that. I think Tom has a vision to bring the club forward and I am delighted to be a part of that. There are some very good players already at the club, and I am looking forward to working with them. This is a new challenge for me, and one I am greatly looking forward to.”

Cork City Chairman Tom Coughlan said of the appointment: “I’m thrilled that Paul has signed up to lead our team in our challenge for all the major honours next season. Our search for new players begins now, and we look forward to more exciting announcements in next few weeks."

http://corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=755

Drogman.
13/01/2009, 4:06 PM
He'll develop a good defence in Cork. The team will go from the "free flowing" attacking football to a very cautious type game.

I know what SeanDrog said above is his view, and I agree with some of it, but to be fair to Doolin he did have a lot of average players the year after he joined us, 2004, and still managed to get a fairly average team up to 4th I think it was. I think at one stage we were second, before getting hammered at home by Shels, 5-2 I think it was.

His man management skills are known for not being the best, and I've been told to by a number of players, but his training sessions and schedules are always top quality.

He'll bring success to Cork, if everyone backs him. If there's any crap like what happened with Stuey Byrne last year then it could affect things.

Best of luck.................you dirty L*ngers :D

Longfordian
13/01/2009, 4:42 PM
When has everybody ever backed anyone in Cork?!. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. At least they've finally got a manager in place from their point of view.

Troy.McClure
13/01/2009, 5:00 PM
maybe we have learnt our lesson, only a 2 year contract, that way less compo when we fire him next year.

thischarmingman
13/01/2009, 5:51 PM
Shocking appointment. Cork generally one of the best footballing sides in the country and they appoint Doolin? Absolutely shocking. Mahon would have done a better job IMO.

Rovers1
13/01/2009, 6:28 PM
You're just bitter; you're blinded by a petty hatred for Doolin. It's so obvious it's ridiculous.
:rolleyes:

i hate him too, can i say HA HA as well??:confused:

John83
13/01/2009, 6:38 PM
:rolleyes:

i hate him too, can i say HA HA as well??:confused:

Joke ------> =x
Your head -> o
/O\
/ \

Rovers1
13/01/2009, 6:40 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm....... didnt seem like a joke... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Martinho II
13/01/2009, 6:56 PM
When has everybody ever backed anyone in Cork?!. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. At least they've finally got a manager in place from their point of view.

i wonder what division will doolittle manage in me thinks??:p

adamd164
13/01/2009, 7:17 PM
Interview with Doolin after signing: http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=4523
(http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=756)

ciaraa
14/01/2009, 1:08 AM
If Cork are REALLY lucky they might even get Stu Byrne before Feb 02.

Watch the attendances plummet!

Oh and SeanDrogs post is 100% spot on

WindmillWarrior
14/01/2009, 7:26 AM

Been waiting years to say that. :p

:D :D

RĂ©iteoir
14/01/2009, 9:03 AM

He's enrolled in a two-semester crash course at the Shelbourne School of Creative Accountancy