PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hodgson

Pages : [1] 2

Stuttgart88
12/01/2009, 11:27 AM
Although he was a leading candidate (among posters here anyway) for the Ieland job, I've thought that a thread on him is probably more appropriate in World Football as I don't want discussion to be a Roy vs Trap debate.

What do people think given what we've seen of him in England so far (one year back I think)?

How they survived the drop is amazing and I think luck had a fair bit to do with it. He had a slow start and an extraordinary late run when it mattered.

This year, with the pressure off, I think he's done very well. He's created a well-balanced team playing good football and getting good results for a team of Fulham's status.

I've been impressed and think he'd be a great catch for Ireland if, as rumoured, Trap doesn't stay beyond Sth Africa 2010. I think Dion Fanning's rejection of him as being a bullsh1tting UEFAcrat is looking foolish now.

HarpoJoyce
12/01/2009, 12:42 PM
Does he take over from Bobby Robson as successful European manager from England?

Obviously keeping Fulham up is a great achievement, but it benefits the club more than him. He has a long CV.

Lionel Ritchie
12/01/2009, 12:49 PM
If he ever gets the gig I'm going along to his first press conference just so I can shout "W-elease W-odger!" at him.

Closed Account 2
12/01/2009, 1:35 PM
He is one of the best managers in the modern game. His knowledge of systems, tactics, players and opposition weaknesses is unsurpassed in the Premier League. You only have to look at his record at both club and country level to see that.

For the first time in 30 years he took the Swiss to two finals (WC 94 and Euro 96). For WC 94, he brought the Swiss through a group that contained Italy, Portugal and Scotland (who were still a force back then). In the group stages they beat a quality Romania side 4-1, drew 1-1 with the hosts (USA). Spain in the second round was a bridge too far but they still did very well (as well as we did in 1994) and were a very inexperienced team. For Euro 96 they qualified top of a group which contained Sweden and Turkey and only lost one match (home to Turkey, who they actually beat away). In the actual tournament they collapsed to a degree, after a decent start (1-1 draw with England) with 2-0 and 1-0 defeats to the Dutch and Scots. It should be remembered that the Swiss were utterly in the doldrums before he took over.

I think his big mistake was taking the Inter job in 1995, and remaining as the Swiss manager, he couldn't do both jobs justice and well he did well to get to the UEFA Cup final (lost on pens to Schalke) he should have taken one or the other. In the end inter finished 3rd in 1997 (he was sacked before the last 2 games), behind Juve and Parma (who both spent a lot more than Inter in terms of buying players).

He was a serious contender for the German national team manager in 1998, but it went to Erich Ribbeck instead. He then took over FCK (Copenhagen) in Denmark and won the league with them in 2001 (their first for nearly a decade) and one that finally signalled the demise of Brondby (Aarhuis and Herfolge had won it in the previous 2 years but before then it had almost always been Brondby. He then left for Udinese and won most of his games there before being replaced by Spaletti (now in charge of Roma) who guided Udinese to the champions league with a squad largely assembled and developed by Hodgson.

In most of the countries where he has worked he'e very highly regarded, take this from Sweden:

"The English influence, however, does not stop with live transmission of Premiership games. The two coaches who started the revolution that led to Swedish clubs doing extremely well in the 1970s and early 1980s were both English. The contribution of Bob Houghton and Roy Hodgson cannot be underestimated. They completely transformed Swedish football in the late 1970s as they brought 4-4-2, pressing and revolutionary training techniques to the country. Houghton came to Sweden in 1973 after spells as assistant coach at Ipswich and head coach at Maidstone and won his first league title in his first year with Malmo FF. In 1975, his mate from Croydon, Hodgson, led Halmstad to their first title.

The success of the two coaches caused an almighty debate in Sweden. Many saw their football as extremely defensive, too organised and consisting of too many long balls (funny then that, 30 years later, the FA decided to employ a Swede heavily influenced by Houghton and Hodgson as the coach to take England forward). The other camp, led by Lars 'Laban' Arneson, was preaching 4-3-3 and free-flowing football. In the end, he was run over by the continued success of 'the English way'. It culminated with Malmo FF reaching the 1979 European Cup final and IFK Gothenburg, under Eriksson, winning the 1982 Uefa Cup"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/jun/18/worldcup2006.sport3

Anyone with an in depth knowledge of the European game knows about Hodgson's ability to coach, develop and tactically deploy players in an astute way. He is highly regarded on the continent, but the myopic hype-driven press in Ireland and UK simply cannot see this and rate the likes of Jewell ahead of him. Dion Fanning, is so wide of the mark with his UEFAcrat remark is beyond belief, and actually shows him up for the spoofer he his.

Noelys Guitar
12/01/2009, 1:55 PM
Remarkable job by Hodgson. In his understated way he has created a top 10 side from relegation certs in one year. Fulham are one of the few teams in the Premiership who try to beat the top 5. They look a very balanced side.

NeilMcD
12/01/2009, 3:55 PM
Yeah I was fully behind his appointment as Ireland manager and if Trap does go in a year or so then I would love if Hodgson got the job. He would have been and could be perfect for us.

John83
12/01/2009, 4:12 PM
Yeah I was fully behind his appoitment as Ireland manager and if Trap does go in a year or so then I would love if Hodgson got the job. He would have been and could be perfect for us.
I'd agree with all of that. Well, except for the typo, "appoitment". ;)

Newryrep
12/01/2009, 7:03 PM
Agree with a lot of the above but think that boat has sailed. He was under the radar before in the World of the EPL but is to the fore now and would imagine he would get better/more attractive offers than Ireland.

Thought I read that he was sounded out for the Ireland job but declined as he knew Fulham was on the cards ? I thought at the time - at least he was asked

shedite
16/01/2009, 10:24 AM
In fairness, he got very lucky last year with the relegation battle. If they had drawn one of those games, he'd be in the Championship now, wouldn't have been able to sign the players he did, and probably be mid-table.

It's a very thin line.

He is doing well this season tho. Well organised defence anyway.

DeLorean
20/01/2009, 3:29 PM
It is a very thin line. If United had been awarded a penalty for the blatent foul by Distin on Ronaldo in the FA Cup quarter final last season presumably United would have gone on to win the match (a match they should have won comfortably anyway). This would have obviously resulted in Pompey not contesting the FA Cup Final against Cardiff in May and therefore fielding their strongest team in their final league match of the season at Fratton Park against a Fulham side needing a victory to survive. In these circumstances it would have been difficult to see Fulham coming away from one of the most difficult of venues with 3 points as they did against a second string Pompey.

That being said Hodgson deserves huge credit for putting Fulham in a position where they had a fighting chance of survival come the final league match anyway as they were completely written off a few matches previously. Futhermore the progress they have made this season is phenominal. Liverpool have drawn quite a number of matches at Anfield this season but Fulham are about the only side that came away with a point having played a lot of football themselves. They played with 2 up front that day which is rare enough in itself for lower teams visiting Anfield and they have pure footballers in midfield with Bullard, Murphy, Dempsey and Davies with quality like Gera often restricted to the bench. They badly need a goalscoring forward though with Zamora grossly limited and Andy Johnson not firing on all cylinders.

an_ceannaire
20/01/2009, 6:57 PM
lads, some perspective here...what makes ye think he would leave Fulham to manage Ireland??:confused:
no manager in the premiership, and no non irish manager in the championship would walk away from a job to take the Ireland job:rolleyes:

OwlsFan
04/05/2010, 11:26 AM
I have to put my hand up and admit I thought he was another David Pleat: articulate, intelligent but an overrated manager. However, looks as if many of the above have been shown to be correct. Doubt if Fulham will be able to keep him. Where next?

passinginterest
04/05/2010, 11:29 AM
Ideal next manager for Liverpool I would have thought. Should be able to steady the ship and proven ability to get the best out of average players. If he brought Hangeland and Zamora with him it could be very useful.

KK77
04/05/2010, 11:32 AM
I have to put my hand up and admit I thought he was another David Pleat: articulate, intelligent but an overrated manager. However, looks as if many of the above have been shown to be correct. Doubt if Fulham will be able to keep him. Where next?

Strikes me as a loyal and honest man so imo win the europa league or not he will give Fulham at least one more season. Though i can see why he would move on if a bigger club came in for him as i am sure he would think can he do anymore with Fulham unless an Arab comes in and also may feel he won't get another chance to move to a bigger club. Anyway i think he will be with them next season.

outspoken
04/05/2010, 11:41 AM
Id love to see Roy Hodgson as England manager but will Fabio be there to long that Roy might have retired?. If England get to at least the Semis then Fab will probably get a new contract but if they win it will Fabio quit while hes ahead who knows? I think Liverpool might make a swoop for Hodgson but would that be a good move after all if he failed there all his good work with Fulham would probably be forgotten and he defiantly wouldnt have a chance of getting the England job.

But looking at short term things I defiantly think Roy Hodgson should get the manager of the year award.

Roo69
04/05/2010, 1:11 PM
Ideal next manager for Liverpool I would have thought. Should be able to steady the ship and proven ability to get the best out of average players. If he brought Hangeland and Zamora with him it could be very useful.

He is the very type of manager Liverpool need IMO, Very likable man and has a great relationship with the media. Appar. Inter have him lined up if Jose decides to jump ship, from all accounts he is still friends with Inter's owner and they keep in contact.

Dodge
04/05/2010, 1:39 PM
Very likable man and has a great relationship with the media. .

He has a great relationship with the media because he's intelligent, open and honest. They ask a question, he gives them a complete and comprehensive answer.

Incredibly likeable for that reason.

KK77
04/05/2010, 2:17 PM
He has a great relationship with the media because he's intelligent, open and honest. They ask a question, he gives them a complete and comprehensive answer.

Incredibly likeable for that reason.

Yeah seems to have basic manners. Never seems to get involved in situations with other managers nor attack them not blow himself up. Fat Sam could learn a lot from him.

Dodge
04/05/2010, 2:24 PM
All of them. Benitez, Wenger, Ferguson, O'neill.

Moyes is a bit of a hot head but seems honest enough to me

KK77
04/05/2010, 2:45 PM
All of them. Benitez, Wenger, Ferguson, O'neill.

Moyes is a bit of a hot head but seems honest enough to me

Yeah would agree with all that boss. Although would be interesting to see if he would remain calm and all that if he was in charge of a big club.

Dodge
04/05/2010, 2:47 PM
What, like Inter Milan?

gustavo
04/05/2010, 2:51 PM
Yeah would agree with all that boss. Although would be interesting to see if he would remain calm and all that if he was in charge of a big club.

He managed some crowd called Inter before

KK77
04/05/2010, 2:54 PM
What, like Inter Milan?

Meant in the premiership boss!

pineapple stu
Big clubs only play in the Premiership now?

KK77
He managed some crowd called Inter before

Meant in the premiership horse!

KK77
04/05/2010, 2:57 PM
Big clubs only play in the Premiership now?

Silly question pineapple! I meant in that the media put a lot more pressure on you when you manage a big club in the premiership and i also meant how would he react if the likes of Fergie and Co try to get under his skin if his team were close to them in the league! I am also only saying this as a matter of interest nothing more before anyone tries to say i don't like the man or rate him because i do!

Dodge
04/05/2010, 3:04 PM
YOu seriously think the media pressure in Italy is less intense than England horse?

KK77
04/05/2010, 3:07 PM
YOu seriously think the media pressure in Italy is less intense than England horse?

Just my opinion boss! Doesn't mean i am right or wrong nor that you are either! Anyway i think the man is a great man and manager! Again just my opinion of him.

culloty82
04/05/2010, 3:15 PM
He does seem to be the favourite for the Liverpool job at the moment - didn't do great at Blackburn, but you can't fault his record with Switzerland and in the European leagues. Can't see him ever getting the Ireland job, if Trap does leave, I'd go with Moyes or O'Neill, if Fergie's retired by then he might be tempted, like he was when Jack resigned.

bennocelt
04/05/2010, 8:23 PM
He does seem to be the favourite for the Liverpool job at the moment - didn't do great at Blackburn, but you can't fault his record with Switzerland and in the European leagues. Can't see him ever getting the Ireland job, if Trap does leave, I'd go with Moyes or O'Neill, if Fergie's retired by then he might be tempted, like he was when Jack resigned.

Wasnt giving much time. did he even get a full season?

Please god I hope he doesnt go to Liverpool............................:p

passinginterest
01/07/2010, 9:55 AM

You heard it here first. I should have put money on it.

outspoken
01/07/2010, 10:27 AM
cant believe hes left Fulham a team on the up for a team in Liverpool thats on a huge down hill spiral. And with Liverpools future still uncertain off the pitch theres no guarantee he will be there if new people come in or he might end up like Rafa not been able to work under the current owners whereas at Fulham he had the full backing of the owner and that meant a big transfer kitty.

I supose just like Redknapp at this stage of his career he couldnt turn down the chance to manage a "Big Club" but it could be career suicide in the long run.

pineapple stu
01/07/2010, 10:28 AM
Presumably there's a feeling he's taken Fulham as far as he can, and that next season would be judged by this, which would be very hard to lvie up to.

Also, he's on a bit of a no-lose at Liverpool.

culloty82
01/07/2010, 2:39 PM
As a United fan, I wouldn't lose any sleep over Hodgson at Liverpool, he's a decent manager but probably too "nice" to keep the egos in check, and while they'll probably hang on to Gerrard, Torres will probably leave to get back into the Champions League. Now, if they'd gone for Hiddink or Hitzfeld, it might have been a different story, but they'll probably be back to their usual 4th place.

DmanDmythDledge
01/07/2010, 10:31 PM
You heard it here first. I should have put money on it.
Was 2nd or 3rd favourite anyway, price was about 3/1 I think. Went out to 25/1 this day last week.

OwlsFan
05/07/2010, 9:42 AM
Strikes me as a loyal and honest man so imo win the europa league or not he will give Fulham at least one more season. Though i can see why he would move on if a bigger club came in for him as i am sure he would think can he do anymore with Fulham unless an Arab comes in and also may feel he won't get another chance to move to a bigger club. Anyway i think he will be with them next season.

No bigger club. Just Liverpool ;)

KK77
05/07/2010, 11:18 AM
Your right no bigger club than Liverpool!

shakermaker1982
05/07/2010, 11:34 AM
Danny Murphy and Hangeland on their way to Liverpool yet?

outspoken
05/07/2010, 12:50 PM

Thats the rumors going around

KK77
05/07/2010, 2:07 PM

Hangeland i would take no problem but Danny Murphy please god no.

OwlsFan
16/11/2010, 10:11 AM
Thought I might bump this having regard to the discussion on Hodgson going on in the EPL thread. He seemed to have a lot of supporters before he went to Liverpool - where are they now?

DeLorean
16/11/2010, 12:07 PM
Silly question pineapple! I meant in that the media put a lot more pressure on you when you manage a big club in the premiership and i also meant how would he react if the likes of Fergie and Co try to get under his skin if his team were close to them in the league! I am also only saying this as a matter of interest nothing more before anyone tries to say i don't like the man or rate him because i do!

I don't rate Hodgson i never did and never will

Good question OwlsFans, and I was led to believe it's only 'barstoolers' that are fickle.

Closed Account 2
16/11/2010, 2:12 PM
I would still rate him as a good manager, I think the Liverpool job at the moment is a very difficult one. When he came in there was loads of uncertanty over the board, ownership etc, they had to sell key players (Mascherano). He hasnt exactly spent big (Poulsen £4.5, Konchesky c.£3m, Wilson £2-5m, Jones £2.3m) indicating he didn't have much financial backing in the last transfer window.

Judging him on half a season at a club in turmoil, when he's played some of the hardest fixtures (Chelsea (h), Man Utd (a), Arsenal (h), City (a)) seems a bit harsh. I agree that results against Blackpool at home was a major dissapointment maybe last weekend too, but have their other results been that bad ? Beating West Brom at home (something Man Utd and Arsenal failed to do), drawing with Birmingham away (something only one team has bettered in the league in the last 12 months), drawing at home to Sunderland (better than Chelsea & Villa, same at Man Utd) beating Bolton away (something Spurs and Man Utd failed to do).

I do think there seems to be a bit of momentum against him on the part of Liverpool fans, and there is paper talk about him not getting on with Agger and Pacheco (some kid in the reserves) but I still think he's a good manager and wouldn't have any issues with him taking over the Irish team when Trap leaves.

Roadend
16/11/2010, 3:45 PM
If we are talking about his transfer policies, outside of Mascherano, Out went Insua (21) and Aquilani (26) and in came Konchesky (29) and Poulsen (31). A complete joke in every sense of the word. Juventus must be having a good laugh about that one. He had nothing to do with the Wilson transfer, though no surprise there as he's 18 and a highly rated player or the Shelvey signing.
I've covered my many issues with him elsewhere, but overall, small time, small attitude dinosaur about covers it. The very fact he tried to retort to criticism by bringing up his LMA award last year just shows how out of touch the man is.

KK77
16/11/2010, 3:59 PM
Good question OwlsFans, and I was led to believe it's only 'barstoolers' that are fickle.

You still following me around the site! LOL

I have changed my mind based on his style of play and what he has said in the media about eg SOS, among other things. The man ain't up to it! I changed my mind so what big deal we are all allowed to!

DeLorean
16/11/2010, 4:17 PM
I have changed my mind based on his style of play and what he has said in the media about eg SOS, among other things. The man ain't up to it! I changed my mind so what big deal we are all allowed to!

We sure are Rafa, I've changed my mind millions of times. I tend to admit it though and not pretend that I always felt that way.

I don't rate Hodgson i never did and never will

KK77
16/11/2010, 6:54 PM
We sure are Rafa, I've changed my mind millions of times. I tend to admit it though and not pretend that I always felt that way.

(Girlie) LOL!!!!

Guess i'm not like you and the pope..................infallible (incapable of failure or error)!

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeLorean
17/11/2010, 9:53 AM
Guess i'm not like you and the pope..................infallible (incapable of failure or error)!

Very humble (modest, not proud or arrogant) of you to say.

DeLorean
02/05/2012, 10:02 AM
Well the Hodge for England. Not sure how this one will pan out but I think a two year contract would have been more sensible. Surely there should be a minimum requirement of qualifying for the WC or something. I think England's main strengths over the years have been that they have been hard to beat, which is probably the stand-out trait that Hodgson's teams have possessed. It might just work but I wouldn't be expecting an expansive style of play, not that England have ever been particularly good to watch, Euro 96 aside.

On a lighter note...

Roy Hodgson has been asked if he's every tweeted? He replied with "yes, I tweeted my wife to a womantic meal last week"

Stuttgart88
02/05/2012, 11:30 AM
I like Hodgson and would have liked him to have got the Ireland gig a few years ago. Apparently Don Givens met him but he got offered Fulham soon afterwards.

Still, I don't like Hodgson enough to hope he's successful!