PDA

View Full Version : Politicians

Ringo
12/01/2009, 7:11 AM
History is the business of judging people who can't answer back. That's why it was almost refreshing to hear Cllr Maureen O'Sullivan use last week's funeral of Tony Gregory to lambast "certain politicians" who lavished praise on the late TD in death while having little time for him in life. She's not far wrong. It was all a lot of sentimental, superstitious hypocrisy.

And yet, and yet . . . When Brian Cowen praised Gregory's "commitment to the disadvantaged in our society", he wasn't suddenly saying that he thought the inner-city Dublin TD was infallible in how he thought deep-seated social problems should be tackled; nor Enda Kenny when he called Gregory a "fearless defender" of his community. They were both simply trying to do the right thing at a difficult time for the man's family and friends. They were recognising that now wasn't the time for arguing the toss over politics. They were acknowledging the eternal truth of death over the trivial ephemera of life. Not only is that hardly a crime, it's not even a misdemeanour. Sniping at them from the pulpit is the real bad manners.

Besides, can you imagine the furore if they'd used the opportunity of Gregory's death to pour scorn on his philosophy and legacy? Can't you just hear the shrill cries of outrage from his legion of admirers? Fellow politicians are damned if they do and damned if they don't -- and doubly damned in the case of Gregory, since it's pretty clear that a process of sanctification has already begun around his reputation in the short days since his untimely death from stomach cancer.

No one side has a monopoly on civic virtue; but time and again, the Irish media peddles this ludicrous myth of the caring, selfless, high-minded left-wing idealist ministering to the poor, which is then set crudely alongside a caricature of some shallow, self-serving, right-wing chancer trampling on the needy.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/gregory-was---always-on-the-inside-of-his-tribe-1598161.html

An interesting article about politics & politicians. I've always admired anyone who gets involved in politics. Rather than giving out people should get involved. I have my long held political views, but that doesn't stop me respecting someone else’s why disagreeing with them. Being a politician is a hard life. There are many councilors and TD’s working very hard on the ground from all parties. You have to be available 24/7.

Sheridan
12/01/2009, 8:25 AM
Who wrote that absolute horsesh1t? Doesn't seem to be a byline on it.

pete
12/01/2009, 10:44 AM
Not sure what the point of that article is.

The standard of politicians is very poor in this country. They are almost entirely career politicians with like expertise outside their party.

While it has many flaws there is a lot to be said for the Presidential system of governing as it attracts successful non-politicians. I was reading recently the Minister for Enterprise has been run by ex-teachers for the last 20 years. Not meant as a slight on teachers but would it not be better to have it run by successful business person.

Macy
12/01/2009, 11:15 AM
The standard of politicians is very poor in this country. They are almost entirely career politicians with like expertise outside their party.
That's the fault of the electorate. It's not about how clever you are, what ideas you have, whether you can formulate policy, it's about how well you can look after your consituents.

Lionel Ritchie
12/01/2009, 1:03 PM
That's the fault of the electorate. It's not about how clever you are, what ideas you have, whether you can formulate policy, it's about how well you can look after your consituents.

...and it seems to be on the increase that it's about how many times you bled (Insert colour/colours) for your parish and county. FF particularly, but by no means exclusively, seem to approach pretty much anyone who gets their face on The Sunday Game to run for them somewhere.

My dad was an elected local politican for two decades and we were pretty pleased when he stepped back from it. I don't think the guy got to eat a hot meal with his then young family from one end of the 80's to the other. People would call specifically at meal times because they'd reckon there'd be a better chance of catching him. It's not like TDs who have clinics in pubs, clubhouses, community halls etc... you're expected to be on call all day every day -and there's your actual day job to do before and after.

pete
12/01/2009, 1:36 PM
t's not like TDs who have clinics in pubs, clubhouses, community halls etc... you're expected to be on call all day every day -and there's your actual day job to do before and after.

I have never understood why clinics are required. Why do people need politician to make their case to social welfare or whatever department? Siurely you are either entitled to something or you are not.

:confused:

Macy
12/01/2009, 2:50 PM
Siurely you are either entitled to something or you are not.
But yet it does appear to make a difference.

BohsPartisan
14/01/2009, 8:02 PM
But yet it does appear to make a difference.

Clientellism. Its basically a way of bribing people to vote for you. Here, I'll get you that footpath up to your estate that you should have had anyway. I trust I can rely on your vote. This is how FF get in over and over. They are masters of this game. "Yeah we'll fck up the running of the country and councils, people then have to make personal contact with us to get what they should be entitled to anyway and we get their vote next time around."

Ringo
15/01/2009, 4:06 PM
Clientellism. Its basically a way of bribing people to vote for you. Here, I'll get you that footpath up to your estate that you should have had anyway. I trust I can rely on your vote. This is how FF get in over and over. They are masters of this game. "Yeah we'll fck up the running of the country and councils, people then have to make personal contact with us to get what they should be entitled to anyway and we get their vote next time around."

FF don't have a majority on Dublin City Council now and didn't have for at least the last 10 years

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections2004/local/dublincity_local.html