PDA

View Full Version : Paul McGrath hits rock bottom

lopez
14/11/2003, 10:39 AM
Picked this up from our Northern Friends website 'OurWeeCountry'.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=463338

A sad state of affairs for arguably (and I'm willing to argue about this) our best ever player.:(

petef
14/11/2003, 10:47 AM
Its very hard to feel sorry for the guy as he constantly just kicks himself in the teeth, he had it made being on various football panels, I think the worst was when he got sent back by the BBC from the World Cup coverage for drinking excessively. Cant see how hes going to drag himself out of this one.

finlma
14/11/2003, 11:21 AM
What do you mean it's hard to feel sorry for him??????

Paul McGrath has a disease called alcoholism and he has tried very hard to get rid of it. I feel nothing but sympathy for this great man. He was an example to so many young footballers as a perfect professional and he did wonders for our country in the green. Whenever interviewed on tv he appeared to be a perfect gentleman and I'm sure people who met him would say so. My heart goes out to him and I really hope he gets everything sorted out

Junior
14/11/2003, 12:58 PM
Without doubt my all time favourite player, certainly the best Irish player I have ever witnessed (didn't see much of Brady), though I did also have a soft spot for FrankyFrankyFrankyFranky....Stapleton.

Northenden (where he was staying with his first wife), is about 2 miles from where I live. He could gladly have a bed at my house!!!

Saw the programme on the Tony Adams sponsored clinic, where they seemed to be making progress with Paul, then he'd just disappear for a few months and he'd be back to square one.

Ooh aah..............

Legend.

Schumi
14/11/2003, 1:30 PM
Very sad, the greatest ever Irish player in my view.