PDA

View Full Version : Bohs, Pat's and Cork agree wage cap

LukeO
10/01/2009, 12:53 PM
From today's Irish Sun:

By NEIL O'RIORDAN

NO League of Ireland player currently out of contract will be paid more than €1,000 a week this season.

SunSport has learned that top clubs Bohemians, St Pat's and Cork City agreed to an informal and voluntary wage cap for 2009 last month.

Dublin rivals Bohs and St Pat's teamed up and decided that only one-year deals would be handed out - worth no more than €50,000.

In a sign of how rapidly things have gone downhill, the Inchicore club has since decided to pay no new signing more than €300 a week as they revert to a part-time operation.

Bohs and St Pat's had gone head to head for a number of players 12 months ago.

Bohs claimed they were priced out of a deal for Keith Fahey - who has since signed for Birmingham City - while St Pat's say they could not match the terms offered to Ken Oman and Killian Brennan.

Although the two clubs were again expected to vie for honours this year, they were determined not to get caught up in another auction for new signings.

Cork then indicated they would come on board. The trio did not ask other clubs to come on board because they did not anticipate that anyone would be paying that sort of money anyway.

Derry City - one of just three teams who have confirmed they will remain full-time - are the only other club who could pay those sort of wages, though their spending power has been reduced because of the fall in sterling's value.

But, soon after Cork agreed to the pact, they handed Joe Gamble a three-year contract which is believed to amount to more than €100,000 per annum. Out-of-contract Colin Healy has been told his wages will be halved if he stays.

Before the credit crunch, Ireland international Gamble had been offered a contract by St Pat's which would have been worth up to €250,000 a year.

But all clubs have moved to reduce their budgets. Despite making an exception for Gamble, Cork owner Tom Coughlan has played hard ball with other out-of-contract players.

It is believed Liam Kearney was offered substantially less terms by Cork before deciding to sign for Derry instead.

And, as the economic reality hits League of Ireland clubs, club's have revised their budgets downwards again.

A source said: "We did this deal because it was common sense but, in a way, it's already redundant because the finances are worse than people had anticipated."

Although the 15 players still on the books of St Pat's are on an average of €90,000 a year, they have been asked to take a 30 per cent pay cut.

And John McDonnell quit as boss on Thursday when he was told that he must sign part-time players on a maximum wage of €300 a week. In 2008, the yearly wage bill was €2.7m.

Bohs have also asked their 12 under-contract players to take a 30 per cent and it is expected an agreement will be reached on a reduction within the next week.

The source added: "The players are obviously reluctant to take a cut but the reality is that, if they don't, there may be no money to pay them at all later on in the season."

At present, Pat Fenlon is not in a position to add to his squad.

Out-of-contract players like Liam Burns and Stephen O'Donnell - both of whom made a vital contribution to their league and FAI Cup double - are still waiting to learn if they will be offered new deals.

Both were thought to be earning in the region of €1,500 a week but, if they are re-signed, they will receive two-thirds or less than that from the debt-ridden Phisborough outfit.

They are not the only clubs who have slashed their budgets. The most dramatic reduction is likely to be at Drogheda United - if the club even survive the Examinership process.

It is believed that their highest earner last year had a gross weekly wage of €3,600 - but that could be their budget for the entire squad if they are competing in the First Division.

Finn Harps boss Paul Hegarty has been told his budget will be cut from €12,000 a week to as low as €2,000 a week.

While Harps will also be in the First Division - unless they earn a reprieve if other clubs fail to obtain a Premier Division licence - spare a thought for Galway United boss Jeff Kenna.

Kenna has been told he must compete in the top flight off €6,000 a week. This time last year, predecessor Tony Cousins had €14,000 a week to spend on his squad.

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 1:03 PM
About time this happened. Clubs could not go on spending like they were.

holidaysong
10/01/2009, 1:08 PM
Strange article. How can Neil O'Riordan claim no out of contract player will be paid more than €1,000 when he is only basing it on three clubs? It's not inconceivable that we will be offering Declan O'Brien wages around that mark.. Completely meaningless wage cap in my opinion.

"The trio did not ask other clubs to come on board because they did not anticipate that anyone would be paying that sort of money anyway."

I assume this means the clubs don't know Dundalk have gone full time then. Hopefully we can keep it quiet.. :)

"Derry City - one of just three teams who have confirmed they will remain full-time"

Who are the other two? Does that include us?

LukeO
10/01/2009, 1:11 PM
Pipe down small-club fan.

Sheridan
10/01/2009, 1:15 PM
Is this not called a cartel?

OneRedArmy
10/01/2009, 1:17 PM
Let's see how long this lasts, if it's even true.

Saint_Charlie
10/01/2009, 1:24 PM
Strange article. How can Neil O'Riordan claim no out of contract player will be paid more than €1,000 when he is only basing it on three clubs? It's not inconceivable that we will be offering Declan O'Brien wages around that mark.. Completely meaningless wage cap in my opinion.

"The trio did not ask other clubs to come on board because they did not anticipate that anyone would be paying that sort of money anyway."

I assume this means the clubs don't know Dundalk have gone full time then. Hopefully we can keep it quiet.. :)

"Derry City - one of just three teams who have confirmed they will remain full-time"

Who are the other two? Does that include us?

Have Dundalk officially gone full time? How will the manage that in the current climate?

brianw82
10/01/2009, 1:45 PM
It does have the look of a cartel, despite making a lot of sense.

Dodge
10/01/2009, 1:59 PM
Let's see how long this lasts, if it's even true.

I'd imagine its ********.

LukeO
10/01/2009, 2:02 PM
Yeah, me too.

Rovers Maniac
10/01/2009, 2:04 PM
I can't help but Pat's cost cutting measures is directly linked to the fall out from the betting scandal. Ever since that Part time fotball has been brought in and as well as further cost cutting measures.

brianw82
10/01/2009, 2:09 PM
I can't help but Pat's cost cutting measures is directly linked to the fall out from the betting scandal. Ever since that Part time fotball has been brought in and as well as further cost cutting measures.

With all due respect, you can't seriously believe that the betting scandal (aka. storm in a teacup) is one of the main reasons for Pats going part-time?
More likely an annual wage bill of 2.7million.

Rovers Maniac
10/01/2009, 2:29 PM
With all due respect, you can't seriously believe that the betting scandal (aka. storm in a teacup) is one of the main reasons for Pats going part-time?
More likely an annual wage bill of 2.7million.

Yes i would actually, and it was far from a storm in a tea cup. I actually feel for the lad Dempsey, as he was the scapegoat in the whole sorid affair. Also if you were putting millions into Pats would like to be seen to be taken for a ride? Whatever was being pumped by GK was repeately reported by Pats to be a tax write off for the owner. I don't buy into that it was just conicident he has cut his investment massively since.

Heliodorus
10/01/2009, 2:52 PM
An agreed wage cap by certain clubs. Surely thats illegal? I know its hard to prove. Some city players are on over €1000 a week at present anyway.

Poor Student
10/01/2009, 3:02 PM
I don't buy into that it was just conicident he has cut his investment massively since.

I'm sure you're right. I'd say it has nothing to do with this: http://www.suntimes.com/business/1349674,CST-FIN-spire26.article

Saint_Charlie
10/01/2009, 3:05 PM
It was definitely the €20 bet, which Gary Dempsey lost, which has led us to this situation.

Black and White
10/01/2009, 3:07 PM
What about sacking players for being too fat! aka Michael Keane!

brianw82
10/01/2009, 3:08 PM
It was definitely the €20 bet, which Gary Dempsey lost, which has led us to this situation.

You should go round his gaff and kick his ass. At Nintendo.

LukeO
10/01/2009, 3:14 PM
Some city players are on over €1000 a week at present anyway.

No **** Sherlock!

That's why it says: "NO League of Ireland player currently out of contract will be paid more than €1,000 a week this season."

What a bizarre load of nonsense...

oriel
10/01/2009, 3:21 PM
Have Dundalk officially gone full time? How will the manage that in the current climate?

NO, just recruited a few full time players, and I hope for our sake they are within this 1k a week cap. Pure madness getting involved in all of this spending while every other club cuts down.

Mr A
10/01/2009, 3:28 PM
In a seperate development, Finn Harps have confirmed that they will also not be paying any player more than €1000 per week this season. :)

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 3:36 PM
In a seperate development, Finn Harps have confirmed that they will also not be paying any player more than €1000 per week this season. :)

So has Gethins agreed to a pay cut?

sligoman
10/01/2009, 3:38 PM
So essentially Cork are not in this pact having given Gamble a contract outside this maximum budget?

Mr A
10/01/2009, 3:38 PM
So has Gethins agreed to a pay cut?

Are you suggesting he's on a grand a week? Because he isn't as far as I know and in any case I do not expect him to be with the club come the start of the season.

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 3:39 PM
Gamble was already under contract. He just re-negotiated

What the above applies to is out of contract players

sligoman
10/01/2009, 3:40 PM
I assume he's being sarcastic?

Gethins on a grand a week, that's hilarious:D

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 3:44 PM
Are you suggesting he's on a grand a week? Because he isn't as far as I know and in any case I do not expect him to be with the club come the start of the season.

Wasn't suggesting that. Just that he seems to be the only contracted player on your books at the moment, and rumours around that he is on a sizable contract (unsure what that is myself) i was only curious .

Rovers Maniac
10/01/2009, 4:02 PM

I'd say you know exactly what i am talking about when i said Dempsey was made out to be the scape goat ;), Anybody who thinks this 'storm in a tea cup' was over a €20 Euro double is very naive. Obviously funds are a hell of a lot tighter now but to go from a tax write off to a major burden on the Kelleher empire is what i find difficult to understand. Lads this ain't Tom Coughlan we are speaking about, Kelleher could well afford to keep Pats going if he really wanted too. Business men don't like to made a fool out of esp in their home city.

Enjoy the Nintendo.

shantykelly
10/01/2009, 4:44 PM
is kelleher's money not from property development? which is an industry currently undergoing a global meltdown?

soccerc
10/01/2009, 4:49 PM

Biggest load of doodoo :D

higgins
10/01/2009, 7:50 PM
All clubs following Shelbournes lead again!!
We stopped paying them €1000 a week some years ago :)

Candystripe
11/01/2009, 12:46 AM
All clubs following Shelbournes lead again!!
We stopped paying them €1000 a week some years ago :)

Did you's not just stop paying them anything at all?

Buile Shuibhne
11/01/2009, 8:58 AM
Did you's not just stop paying them anything at all?

For a short time yes - but they were later payed 100% of all they were owed. Unlike a number of other clubs have treated their players in the past few months.

LukeO
11/01/2009, 10:26 AM
Not all clubs have the luxury of being able to keep drawing down money from the value of their ground to pay off debts... unfortunately we do too... :o

Celdrog
11/01/2009, 4:46 PM
For a short time yes - but they were later payed 100% of all they were owed. Unlike a number of other clubs have treated their players in the past few months.You sure about that?????

tiktok
12/01/2009, 8:05 AM
For a short time yes - but they were later payed 100% of all they were owed. Unlike a number of other clubs have treated their players in the past few months.

Later? How much time elapsed before the last player was fully paid up?
As you're the benchmark club.

dcfcsteve
12/01/2009, 8:38 AM
An agreed wage cap by certain clubs. Surely thats illegal? I know its hard to prove. Some city players are on over €1000 a week at present anyway.

I don't know if it would be illegal, as they don't have a monopoly posiiton.

Also - they're not fixing the prices for specific players between themselves, just agreeing that they can't afford to pay above a certain level. So any individual player who didn't get more than €1k would struggle to say they've been shafted here.

It is a strange one though. Will be interesting to see if it's honoured - particularly when a really good player becomes available. Also interesting to see how long it lasts before it's broken - sooner or later, the memories will fade and 'the dream' will take centre stage again.

Buile Shuibhne
12/01/2009, 8:40 AM
AFAIK - they were all paid up within a few months - early 2007?

OneRedArmy
12/01/2009, 8:42 AM
AFAIK - they were all paid up within a few months - early 2007?........in coins?

micls
12/01/2009, 11:38 AM
Number? Other than Drogheda what other club took longer than the time ye took to pay 100%?