PDA

View Full Version : FAI to look at return to winter football

Pages : [1] 2 3

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 12:30 PM
Did anybody else see during the week on TV3 news, a little piece tagged onto the end of a piece about Drogs problems, an official from the FAI saying that maybe in 2 years time they will review the whole Summer Football idea.

Can't remember who the official was, but high ranking. Said that summer football didn't improve crowd numbers in some clubs.

Aside from that, does anybody have a link to who is on the board of management of the FAi? Can't find it on their website. Can't find any officials names on it

brianw82
10/01/2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I saw that. The guy said that the regional clubs were making a bigger fuss about it.

It does definitely need to be looked at.

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 12:37 PM
Can you remember who the official was?

holidaysong
10/01/2009, 12:38 PM
I seen it too, who was he? I didn't think he was anyone too important..

Dunny
10/01/2009, 12:41 PM
Think it was the FAI's Vice President...:confused:

irishultra
10/01/2009, 12:43 PM
please dont do this. i love a nice summers evening go to matches with the rents or mates. obviously i'd still go to games but summer football just makes the experience so much better.

BulmersKid
10/01/2009, 12:46 PM
Think it was the FAI's Vice President...:confused:

Definitely Vice something-or-other. IF I saw or heard the name again I would recognize it.

But I thing it highlights some issues within the FAI. Here you have a high ranking offical saying the whole sytem will need to be reviewd because of poor crowds and then you have Fran Gavin saying that crowds are up.

Divides still exist within the FAI

atfconline
10/01/2009, 12:48 PM
It was Paddy McCaul, FAI Vice President.

citybone
10/01/2009, 12:48 PM
please dont do this. i love a nice summers evening go to matches with the rents or mates. obviously i'd still go to games but summer football just makes the experience so much better.

I have to agree, traveling to Finn Harps on a wintry December of January from cork is a no no in my books.During the summer would be a lot easier, but more importantly european results are much better under summer football and going back to winter football will be a step backwards

Sam_Heggy
10/01/2009, 12:56 PM
Personally I prefer winter football but, would the pitches hold up in the wosre weather?
Look how bad pitches got in "summer football" namely pitches like Finn Park were shockingly bad.

Keen2win
10/01/2009, 2:01 PM
Im not sure if Flancare Park would hold up as a lot of underage matches seem to be called off lately due to a "frozen pitch" and such like.

irishultra
10/01/2009, 2:06 PM
winter football is grand for dublin coz winters do be dry and mild but the fecking west? no chance.

Keen2win
10/01/2009, 2:21 PM
We would probably have to make a new pitch for training and most underage games and not let anyone on our main pitch...

And we don't have money for that!!

Mr A
10/01/2009, 3:55 PM
Summer football does not necessarily mean better pitches since you lose the time of year when you can do most work on them.

Boh_So_Good
10/01/2009, 5:02 PM
Been going to LOI matches for 30 years now. I much prefer summer football.

This 'longing for the glory days of Winter Football' is from the same mindsets who say "we had crowds of 40,000 on average back in the old days..."

John83
10/01/2009, 5:17 PM
I prefer going to games in the summer. It does seem to have some benefit for European games. It doesn't seem to have significantly effected crowds. Changing back won't do any good but please a few old fogies.

Martinho II
10/01/2009, 7:00 PM
i personally want it to go back to winter soccer. there was nothing like xmas footie and friends you hadnt seen in ages come to matches at xmas. really miss that buzz.:(

SligoBrewer
10/01/2009, 7:04 PM
winter football is grand for dublin coz winters do be dry and mild but the fecking west? no chance.

The difference is negligible in fairness. You'd think it was playing on the Blaskets the way you're going on about it.

Winter Football. +1

MariborKev
10/01/2009, 8:48 PM
Been going to LOI matches for 30 years now. I much prefer summer football.

This 'longing for the glory days of Winter Football' is from the same mindsets who say "we had crowds of 40,000 on average back in the old days..."

Allied to the "Feck it, we need a change" mentality.

10 teams or 12 teams, summer or winter, surely it is time to try the Top 6/Bottom 6 thing again:rolleyes:

Inside Man
10/01/2009, 8:52 PM
Winter football all the way!
Nothing better than going into the Showgrounds on a cold december evening with an electric atmosphere as oppossed to arriving in the gates with no atmosphere and no crowds as on the good days everyone has gone to the beach and those at the match are the true hardcore supporters.

Look how the Irish league pitches hold up. Not bad at all. Indeed there is the odd weekend where the fixtures are called off but they get worse snow and colder weather than alot of southern Irish clubs.

I am 100% behind winter football. And i think 90% of regional teams fans would back this. [Longford, Athlone, Galway, Harps, Sligo Rovers, Monaghan, Limrick, Cork Waterford]

Really its only the clubs with power that are backing it Bohs, Shams, Pats and all the Dublin clubs.

Buile Shuibhne
10/01/2009, 9:14 PM
It was Paddy McCaul, FAI Vice President.

I saw the clip - my impression was he was speaking in a personal capacity, not on behalf of the FAI

jinxy lilywhite
10/01/2009, 9:53 PM
Personally my preference is winter football. Something about games in the freezing cold or rain under floodlights in a semi tribal atmosphere does it for me. night games seem to be better games and more entertaining than a game in mid may or june.
Summer football doesn't really offer that to me.

Maroon 7
10/01/2009, 10:14 PM
Did anybody else see during the week on TV3 news, a little piece tagged onto the end of a piece about Drogs problems, an official from the FAI saying that maybe in 2 years time they will review the whole Summer Football idea.

Can't remember who the official was, but high ranking. Said that summer football didn't improve crowd numbers in some clubs.

Aside from that, does anybody have a link to who is on the board of management of the FAi? Can't find it on their website. Can't find any officials names on it

I wouldn't have fancied going to a game in the past week or two to be honest. It was bloody Baltic out.

prince20
10/01/2009, 10:22 PM
I saw the clip - my impression was he was speaking in a personal capacity, not on behalf of the FAI

I would have to concur with this.
In my own opinion it is the general feeling amongst clubs outside the pale that we should revert to winter football but Mr. McCaul merely said that that if this is what clubs want it cant happen until the current agreement with the FAI ends(im open to correction though!)

Magicme
10/01/2009, 10:54 PM
I am 100% behind winter football. And i think 90% of regional teams fans would back this. [Longford, Athlone, Galway, Harps, Sligo Rovers, Monaghan, Limrick, Cork Waterford]

Monaghan United wouldnt be behind the change back to winter. Much better travel conditions in summer and also less games cancelled.

blackholesun
10/01/2009, 11:09 PM
Going back to winter football is going back to the stoneage. If you want to get new fans along to games, summer football and the work of the club promo officers is the way forward. It will take time but surely its the only way forward. Winter football offers nothing.

bhs

Mr Maroon
10/01/2009, 11:14 PM

I don't think so

oriel
10/01/2009, 11:30 PM
I would hate to see winter football return, best thing about after xmas is looking forward to the spring, longer evenings and the return of the football season.

Although I will admit, July just doesnt do it for me, something about playing at night and hardly needing floodlights until mid way through the second half just doesnt seem right.

But overall, I think we should stick to March - Nov

Candystripe
11/01/2009, 12:26 AM
Summer football for me.

I love travelling back from games when it's nice and warm and it being almost bright when I get back to the house having stopped for 4 hrs plus in Ardee!

I also dont like long sleeved jerseys so I can get a nice tan with summer football when we travel down to the warmer climate of the south.

Jicked
11/01/2009, 12:45 AM
A return to summer football would be a disaster.

Somehow I think the continual progression of the league in Europe, and the fact that most seem to think that attending league game's is more enjoyable in summer than in winter, is more important than us hoping some of the above clubs get 750 instead of 700 in attendance. Or do you seriously think Sligo would be bringing in fans in their thousands to watch a league game against Bray, in freezing, wet and windy January day? All because there isn't a gah game on that day, or even more laughable the idea that fecking harvest season plays a part in attendances?!? Pathetic stuff.

Winter football would be a terrible regression.

oriel
11/01/2009, 9:07 AM
Although I`m still 100% behind summer football, one other flaw is the cup final. It just doesnt seem right having this in Nov/Dec.

We played in the last April cup final, and I have great memories of that day out, ok we won, but it was played in glorious sunshine, much more appealing to fans than the grey and dark days of Nov/Dec

We should look at having this much earlier in the year, maybe having the final in the week in between the two all irelands for eg.

There should be no rules to say the final must be played at the end of a season.

Terry
11/01/2009, 9:34 AM
summer football all the way for me. Plenty of surface water in galway this weekend with loads of junior fixtures cancelled as has been the way with the freezing cold in the previous weeks. All GUFC would need now is a massive hike in the electricity bill on top of everything else thats going wrong.

blackholesun
11/01/2009, 10:57 AM
Somehow I think the continual progression of the league in Europe, and the fact that most seem to think that attending league game's is more enjoyable in summer than in winter, is more important than us hoping some of the above clubs get 750 instead of 700 in attendance.

You hit the nail on the head there. Summer football is here to stay.

Yer man McCaul is just flying a kite on this thinking he might get a few more votes in the upcoming EL chairman vote!

bhs

BulmersKid
11/01/2009, 11:08 AM
Can an admin put a poll on this thread just to see which way members of foot.ie would vote on this issse of Summer vs Winter football

prince20
11/01/2009, 11:33 AM
Yer man McCaul is just flying a kite on this thinking he might get a few more votes in the upcoming EL chairman vote!

bhs
Try knowing your facts before posting bull. :mad:
McCaul is the vice president of the FAI and will be the next President of the FAI. He was previously EL Chairman

LeixlipRed
11/01/2009, 1:06 PM
Summer football for me. Improved pitches, improved football. Less expensive cancellations, etc. Ok, we all love games under floodlights but you get this for half the season anyway.

thischarmingman
11/01/2009, 3:06 PM
Although I`m still 100% behind summer football, one other flaw is the cup final. It just doesnt seem right having this in Nov/Dec.

We played in the last April cup final, and I have great memories of that day out, ok we won, but it was played in glorious sunshine, much more appealing to fans than the grey and dark days of Nov/Dec

Can't say the lack of sunshine was top of my mind last year or 2006, cup final is a cup final and always generates it's own buzz regardless of the time of year. It would be interesting to check out how many of the last 10 or 15 'summer football' cup finals were played in sunshine.

I much prefer summer football, mainly for the European results and for the fact that we do have a chance, if the right work was put in as regards advertising and marketing, to attract new fans during EPL off-season. Also summer football or not, I can't remember a single game I've been to this season where it was warm enough to wear short-sleeves! Even if it's warmer in July and August it's bloody cold in Feb, March, April, October and November anyway. I can understand the nostalgia factor behind wanting a return to winter football but if we want the league to ever progress then there's no question of going back to it.

citybone
12/01/2009, 8:55 AM
Can't say the lack of sunshine was top of my mind last year or 2006, cup final is a cup final and always generates it's own buzz regardless of the time of year. It would be interesting to check out how many of the last 10 or 15 'summer football' cup finals were played in sunshine.

I much prefer summer football, mainly for the European results and for the fact that we do have a chance, if the right work was put in as regards advertising and marketing, to attract new fans during EPL off-season. Also summer football or not, I can't remember a single game I've been to this season where it was warm enough to wear short-sleeves! Even if it's warmer in July and August it's bloody cold in Feb, March, April, October and November anyway. I can understand the nostalgia factor behind wanting a return to winter football but if we want the league to ever progress then there's no question of going back to it.
Pats vs Cork City june bank holiday weekend
Derry vs Cork City june 3-2:p
FC Haka vs Cork City July
Bohs vs Cork City July
there was prob a few home games too.

Macy
12/01/2009, 9:37 AM
I think summer football was based on some extremely flawed assumptions. Any possible move back must be accompanied by some proper research. Summer football hasn't worked, but winter football (just like messing with the number of teams and format) won't be the silver bullet either.

I'd much prefer winter football, and I as (now) one of the supposed targets (families) of the move to summer football, there's less competition for time in the winter than the summer.

On pitches, we managed before and we'd manage again. It's not like with the season as is we're imune from postponements.

Sheridan
12/01/2009, 10:08 AM
Under the winter schedule, crowds were poor. They're still poor. Results in Europe were poor, now they're markedly improved. Weather postponements were relatively rare, now they're rarer still. Overall, the net outcome is a subtly positive one. I don't see any overarching benefit of reverting to winter football which would compensate for the slight disadvantages it would incur.

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 10:13 AM
Results in Europe were poor, now they're markedly improved.
Let's see what happens them now that the spending boom is over and clubs are going back part-time.

Macy
12/01/2009, 10:22 AM
Under the winter schedule, crowds were poor. They're still poor. Results in Europe were poor, now they're markedly improved. Weather postponements were relatively rare, now they're rarer still. Overall, the net outcome is a subtly positive one.
Crowds have gone down at many clubs, from an already low base. European results improvements can be attributed to more full time teams and a better standard of player as much as when the league plays. Weather postponements wouldn't be much different, except they'd be mid-season which should make rescheduling easier.

It might not be worth the hassle to change back, but summer football has failed on the criteria that were used to justify the change.

Dodge
12/01/2009, 10:49 AM
But have the crowds fallen because of summer football? Obviously no one ibn the FAI will do any research into it.

Macy
12/01/2009, 11:49 AM
But have the crowds fallen because of summer football? Obviously no one ibn the FAI will do any research into it.
They were going to increase with summer football weren't they? Bottom line, no more changes without proper research, and tangibles to measure whether they have been a success (or not), please.

Steve Bruce
12/01/2009, 11:57 AM
The only thing I would say about Winter football is, you have had it for decades, what sort of research do you need when you should have vast first hand experience.

Personally I think you should stick to summer football. I don't think it is an altogether coincidence that standards have improved since you moved to Summer football.

Dodge
12/01/2009, 12:08 PM
The only thing I would say about Winter football is, you have had it for decades, what sort of research do you need when you should have vast first hand experience.

But crowds go up and down, to blame the summer for the drop in crowds is pure guess work.

BulmersKid
12/01/2009, 12:18 PM
But crowds go up and down, to blame the summer for the drop in crowds is pure guess work.

When the switch to summer football was first made there was an increase in crowds. The promise of better pitches and as a result better football lured people to the games.

But I think some of the shenagins by some clubs, some members of clubs and the general scandals that have plagued the LOI over the last few years could be more to blame for the poor attendances.

pineapple stu
12/01/2009, 12:19 PM
When the switch to summer football was first made there was an increase in crowds.
Don't think there was. Nothing major, or even anything like major.

I don't think it is an altogether coincidence that standards have improved since you moved to Summer football.
It's also not a coincidence that standards have improved since clubs started racking up seven figure losses.

It'll be interesting to see how this year pans out so we can get some sort of idea as to which factor is the more important.

tiktok
12/01/2009, 12:27 PM
I am 100% behind winter football. And i think 90% of regional teams fans would back this. [Longford, Athlone, Galway, Harps, Sligo Rovers, Monaghan, Limrick, Cork Waterford].

There's no chance that 90% of CCFC fans would want to go back to Winter Football.

brianw82
12/01/2009, 1:30 PM
The FAI should be sending people onto the streets on match days to get the public's opinions on this. Like:

Do you go to LOI games? y/n
If no, why not? list of reasons (don't like football, think LOI is crap, support EPL team, no speaka the eenglish, etc) , 1 = strongest reason for not going, 5 = mild inconvenience, but wouldn't put me off