PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 players outside the EPL

Drumcondra 69er
09/01/2009, 11:54 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-20-best-players-outside-the-premier-league-1234196.html

Article in the English Indo today for anyone interested, in the paper version of the Irish Indo as well. A number of Irish players mentioned, Stephen Hunt at 2, Kevin Doyle at 4, Kevin Foley at 17 and Owen Garvan at 19.

2. Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Age: 27 Position: Winger Nationality: Irish (full international) Cost: £5m
A high-octane scorer and provider who, having swallowed his disappointment at not getting a summer move, is now proving he is too good for this level. Released by Palace, he rebuilt his career at Brentford. Contracted to 2011, but with an escape clause, so he could leave this month. Brother Noel, also at Reading, picked up votes too

4. Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Age: 25 Position: Striker Nationality: Irish (full) Cost: £7m
During the first of Reading's two-season sojourn in the top flight Doyle was being linked with Manchester United. He remains a class act and will be in the Premier League next season, with or without Reading. "I can see him going to Villa, or Everton," said talkSPORT's Jason Cundy

17. Kevin Foley (Wolves)
Age: 24 Position: Right-back Nationality: Irish (B, U21) Cost: £1.5m
Looked a good player on the ball as soon as he emerged at Luton, now improving defensively and becoming more consistent. Likely to be capped by Giovanni Trapattoni this year

19. Owen Garvan (Ipswich)
Age: 20 Position: Midfield Nationality: Irish (U21) Cost: £2m
Appeared in the first poll, when just 17 but injuries interrupted his progress. Lacks pace but a lovely passer who reads the game well. Contracted to 2011. Nephew of former Manchester United midfielder Mick Martin

The Legend
09/01/2009, 5:07 PM
so by their logic, Hunt is better than Doyle? hmnnn i don't think so.

eirebhoy
09/01/2009, 5:23 PM
so by their logic, Hunt is better than Doyle? hmnnn i don't think so.
It's more of a poll.

Who we spoke to:

Players, managers, pundits and fans with an emphasis on people involved in, or observing, the Championship. Current players and managers were guaranteed anonymity. Only players under 30 on New Year’s Day 2009 were considered. Players on loan from Premier League not included. Nearly 100 names were mentioned, but the top five stood out.

hula4
09/01/2009, 8:57 PM
i wonder is that taken from an up coming 442 magazine article? they normally have something like that around this time of year.

i would have doyle at number 1 personally, scored again tonight and was the class act on the pitch i thought, although the 2 hunts were very impressive also

irishultra
09/01/2009, 11:30 PM
doyle and foley are better than kightley.

tricky_colour
10/01/2009, 2:19 AM
OK the top 100 Championship player according to Actim, which I assume is
totally unbaised in it's compilation.
http://actimindex.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/champ_index_top1008.gif

1, Doyle
2. K Hunt
8 K Foley
14 Stephen Quinn.
21 Noel Hunt
26 Lee Carsley
29 Clinton Morrison