PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the end of Graham Kavanagh

superfrank
09/01/2009, 2:51 PM
He got injured at Sunderland then he went on loan to some lower league sides. He's been at Carlisle for a while.

AFAIK, he hasn't featured in the Premiership for Sunderland at all.

I hope you don't believe this is the end of his international career. If so, you're a few years late.

OwlsFan
09/01/2009, 3:24 PM
He got injured at Sunderland then he went on loan to some lower league sides.

Shame to hear Wednesday described as "some lower league side" :(

I always liked Kavanagh as a player. Trouble is at his peak we had plenty of excellent midfielders.

Stuttgart88
09/01/2009, 3:30 PM
I was surprised how Mick never picked him more. I suspect that he could have done just as well alongside Keane as Kinsella did though I think it's thought Kav just lacked a bit of pace.

OwlsFan
09/01/2009, 3:31 PM
Perhaps he didn't like the bandy legs ;)

Noelys Guitar
09/01/2009, 7:59 PM
I can see Kavanagh been a very good manager in the near future. Always plays with his head up. Good passer of the ball and always comes across in interviews as someone who undertands the game.

seanfhear
09/01/2009, 8:04 PM
I can see Kavanagh been a very good manager in the near future. Always plays with his head up. Good passer of the ball and always comes across in interviews as someone who undertands the game.The more former Irish international players that become coaches or managers the better.

tetsujin1979
09/01/2009, 8:27 PM
It's a bit harsh to say it's the "end" for him, he's 35 so it's hardly unexpected.
I did feel he was awasted at Cardiff for so long in the lower divisions, but on the other hand we regularly criticise players for showing a lack of loyalty and moving clubs when they feel like it.
Although he figured for Wigan in both their opening games in 2006/2007 it was only as a late sub for Danny Lanzaat in both games. After dropping down to the Championship to play for Roy Keane at Sunderland he was a regular starter for them when available. I think the Premiership was a little above his level. Sunderland had a massive squad which made it harder again to get into matchday squad, let alone the starting XI.
Carlisle made him an offer of regular football (he's started every game for them since the 11th October), albeit at a lower level, and he took it instead of wasting away in the reserves at Sunderland. Now he has a chance to prolong his career as a coach.
At international level, I thought it was a positive step from Kerr to bring him back into the Ireland setup, and he rewarded that faith with some positive performances, notable against Brazil at home.
His last game was the 4-0 loss to Holland at home in August 2007, when the pace of the opposition was too much for him, but I prefer to remember him coming on against Chile in the previous game. We were 1-0 down and unable to keep possession, but he came on as a sub, and played in central midfield. Did the simple things well, kept possession, made simple, effective passes, and held up the ball. Best of luck to him as a coach.

I was surprised how Mick never picked him more. I suspect that he could have done just as well alongside Keane as Kinsella did though I think it's thought Kav just lacked a bit of pace.
Probably, but Holland and Kinsella were proven Premiership players. Kavanagh was wasted in the 3rd Division/2nd Division/League One with Cardiff.

eirebhoy
10/01/2009, 9:49 AM
He was excellent in Wigan's first season in the premiership. Probably their most influential player. In fact, they only won 1 game that Kav didn't start, he came on as a sub.

Keane seemed to really like him as a player. I remember Keane didn't think he deserved to wear the captains armband in one game for Ireland (after coming back) so he gave it to Kav.

Carrigaline
10/01/2009, 11:57 AM
Too old at this stage. Also responsible for some of the most horrendous set-pieces I've ever seen from a player.

Mcgeady46
10/01/2009, 4:15 PM
Kav - the silver haired assassin, what a man. always makes a difference to every club he goes.
The main driving force to Wigan's excellent 1st season in the premiership and league cup final appearance.

Junior
12/01/2009, 2:40 PM
Also responsible for some of the most horrendous set-pieces I've ever seen from a player.

The little I have seen of him was playing for Ireland and I thought he did ok, when we were lacking any really good ball winners and 'simple stuff' type players.

But....I do agree with your comment here. For some reason many (most?) of the frees and corners that he took whilst in a green shirt were woeful.

Stuttgart88
12/01/2009, 2:43 PM
many (most?) of the frees and corners that he took whilst in a green shirt were woeful.agreed, and yet dead ball delivery was one of his strenghths at club level.

Diarmo
12/01/2009, 7:30 PM
Pity he left Wigan, really. Did very well in their first season, and it turned out that Landzaat and Scharner were awful so he probably would have regained his place in the 06-07 season. Sundeerland didn't really work out for him, he started picking up injuries and then couldn't get back in the team. I remember seeing an article about him on the BBC website while at Sunderland. It called him the best player in England outside the Premiership. High praise indeed. Thought he had some good solid performances for Ireland in his day. The 3-0 home win to Cyprus stands out, I thought he did quite a solid job.
Pity he wasn't available for the 5-2 Cyprus match, his steel in midfield may have stopped that debacle.

livehead1
12/01/2009, 9:12 PM
it turned out that Landzaat and Scharner were awful so he probably would have regained his place in the 06-07 season. .

He'd be in our side, very good player.

irishfan86
13/01/2009, 5:13 AM
Always liked him as a player, hope he makes it in coaching/managing.

Closed Account 2
28/01/2009, 12:09 AM
A real class act, always gave 110% and was very dynamic in midfield. He would always make himself available for passes from teammates and rarely gave the ball away, he was a real leader on the pitch too and wouldn't be afraid to mix it with the opposition. I remember the World Cup 06 qualification games. He came on for Andy Reid in Basle and shut down the Swiss as an attacking force.

He looked like a good player for us around 1999-2000 when we had the matches against the former Yugoslavian teams, I remember him bossing a game against Sweden and I think he scored in that one too. I think if we had had him in 2002-2004 we would have done better, he could be a great international manager.

OwlsFan
28/01/2009, 9:04 AM
A real class act, always gave 110%

:confused: You're watching Sky too much!!

DeLorean
30/01/2009, 1:33 PM
I remember him bossing a game against Sweden and I think he scored in that one too.

Yes himself and Mark Kennedy got the goals if memory serves. The Swedes should come to Dublin more often we might see more goals like Millers and I believe Kennedys was a cracker too.