PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my D Drive.

osarusan
08/01/2009, 4:43 PM
My D Drive is almost full, there is only 221 mbs left of 3.4gbs space. I have no idea why this has happened, and want to get rid of any unnessecary files. The problem is that I have no idea what, if any files, can be safely deleted.

I've looked at 2 files in the Program Files called "Pixela (a Japanese image-mixing company)" and "Sophos (anti-spyware etc, but I now use Avast software, so do I need Sophos?)" which are about 100mbs each. Will deleting either of them bring an end to the life of this computer?

I've always thought that the D Drive contained the files necessary to run the computer, and as such, should be just left alone. But for some reason it has just filled up, after 4 years of working without a single problem.

pete
08/01/2009, 4:58 PM
I've looked at 2 files in the Program Files called "Pixela" and "Sophos" which are about 100mbs each. Will deleting either of them bring an end to the life of this computer?

XP: Go to Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs if you want to uninstall. have a look at the list as I am sure lots of junk has been installed over the years. With a bit of luck you will see those applications listed & you will remember what they are...

dahamsta
08/01/2009, 5:28 PM
Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

osarusan
08/01/2009, 8:25 PM
Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

Is that the same as going

My Computer - D Drive - Right click, scroll down to Properties - Disk Cleanup?

I've already done that a few times. I get rid of about 3/4 megs each time, just a drop in my ocean of used memory.

EDIT : Did that Dahamsta, but similar results to before, just very small gains.

Ringo
08/01/2009, 9:08 PM
anyone try CCleaner ( Crap cleaner) freeware

http://www.ccleaner.com/

dahamsta
08/01/2009, 11:39 PM
How big is the drive?

osarusan
08/01/2009, 11:46 PM
3.68gb, of which 3.42 is used.

I shoudl perhaps add that about 2 years ago, the computer was split into 2 operating systems, an English one for me, and a Japanese one for the missus. The English one packed it in a few months ago, thanks to a wonky dll file, so we've been using the Japanese one since. But I dont think that should affect the memory, as I can still retrieve any stuff I had on the old English OS.

paul_oshea
09/01/2009, 9:00 AM
if the OS doesnt work why not just remove the OS?! OR reinstall over the OS on the d:?!

pete
09/01/2009, 9:55 AM
3.68gb, of which 3.42 is used.

I shoudl perhaps add that about 2 years ago, the computer was split into 2 operating systems, an English one for me, and a Japanese one for the missus. The English one packed it in a few months ago, thanks to a wonky dll file, so we've been using the Japanese one since. But I dont think that should affect the memory, as I can still retrieve any stuff I had on the old English OS.

What OS you using? Just check my XP machine here & Windows folder alone is 4.5GB.

I am assuming when you restart you previously had an option to choose English or Japanese OS? If the dead one is on D drive then you could just delete the Windows folder & keep the ones you have files on?

dahamsta
09/01/2009, 11:38 AM
3.4GB is a tiny disk in this day and age, not really suitable for a modern OS. Time for an upgrade methinks!

osarusan
10/01/2009, 10:55 AM
3.4GB is a tiny disk in this day and age, not really suitable for a modern OS. Time for an upgrade methinks!

The words I figured I'd hear, but dreaded. Ah well, it has served me well for 6 years.

dahamsta
10/01/2009, 5:01 PM
Just in case I wasn't clear, by upgrade I mean the entire computer. If the computer came with a disk that small it'll be utterly underpowered for today's computing tasks; ye gods, it's underpowered for today's web! Hit the Dell website if you have one there and buy a low-spec Inspiron desktop. Upgrade the processor if you can afford it by one or two steps, but nothing else -- you can add more memory or disks later using cheaper non-Dell parts. It should be in the region of €300-500.

adam