PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some Frank Black

stann
08/01/2009, 2:59 PM
Following on from Wolfie's thread, I'm looking for Frank Black recommendations now too. :)

Never got into his solo stuff after the Pixies, just never heard much of it, and to be honest always kind of assumed it was likely to sully the memory of one of the greatest bands that ever pulled on a shirt.
I do love one tune of his I have got somewhere on disc though, that being Massif Centrale.

So, question 1 is, is his solo (and Catholics) stuff worth picking up?
And question 2, can you recommend an album to start with, preferably one packed with tunes along the lines of the aforementioned Massif Centrale?

holidaysong
08/01/2009, 3:17 PM
Following on from Wolfie's thread, I'm looking for Frank Black recommendations now too. :)

Never got into his solo stuff after the Pixies, just never heard much of it, and to be honest always kind of assumed it was likely to sully the memory of one of the greatest bands that ever pulled on a shirt.
I do love one tune of his I have got somewhere on disc though, that being Massif Centrale.

So, question 1 is, is his solo (and Catholics) stuff worth picking up?
And question 2, can you recommend an album to start with, preferably one packed with tunes along the lines of the aforementioned Massif Centrale?

His solo/Catholics stuff is definitely worth picking up. Massif Centrale is from the album 'Show Me Your Tears' (2003). It's probably the second best of his albums with the Catholics - the best being 'Dog in the Sand' (2001).

Of his solo albums, the best are 'Frank Black' (1993), 'Teenager of the Year' (1994) and 'Bluefinger' (2007) - released under the name Black Francis.

I'd recommend starting with Dog in the Sand and/or Show Me Your Tears as they are more like Massif Centrale. Others would recommend starting with FB and TOTY as they are more like Pixies albums - a way to ease into the solo stuff perhaps. However, if you like Massif Centrale then I'd recommend jumping right in and get DITS and SMYT.

stann
09/01/2009, 3:52 PM
Ta Holidaysong, will start with those two Catholics ones in a bit so! :)

holidaysong
10/01/2009, 12:59 PM
No problem. Let me know what you think when you've had a few listens.

monzo
26/02/2009, 4:34 PM
Anyone get Petit Fours by Grand Duchy (a project BF is doing with his wife, Violet Clark)? Some people mightn't like synths but they add to the album in my opinion. A great little record - really fun.