PDA

View Full Version : Croke Park

Pages : [1] 2

elroy
07/01/2009, 5:20 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/keep-croker-open-1593812.html

No great surprises here really. More than likely to go through, although you can be sure of the usual Northern opposition.

But from a football point of view, I hope we play all of our games in LR once it is available. Croke Park just doesnt suit football. The atmosphere for nearly all the games there has been very poor, the pitch is too big for football meaning the fans are a sizeable distance from the players.

Im not sure if from a financial point of view it would make sense. Yes there would be an additional 20k+ capacity but there is the rental payment to be factored into that.

mint sauce
07/01/2009, 5:42 PM
i think the other factor that need to be considered is, if you continue to use croke park, after landowne rd is finished, although its a fantasic venue, surley it will be a waste of money on the IRFU/FAIs part to play games there, when they could be getting a garanteed full house in their new home,

yes it will be shame for the 20+ thousand who wont get to see the games after becoming used to it, but if you consider either paying near a million yoyo to use croke park infront of 70,000 crowd, or get 50,000 paying 40 to 50 yoyo to see you in lansdowne rd, and help to pay off the debts, and hopefully contribute to the grass routes and struggling FAI clubs, especailly during a resession, i think the second makes more economic sence, yes you have to look after the punters as well, and await the GAAs decision, but personlly, think the game should return to lansdowne,

it will certainly confuse the visiting fans, going from the old lansdowne road, to croke park, back to a gleaming lansdown road, just a shame it could not have been bigger

kingdomkerry
07/01/2009, 5:43 PM
It would be nice to have the option I suppose.

KevB76
07/01/2009, 6:21 PM
But from a football point of view, I hope we play all of our games in LR once it is available. Croke Park just doesnt suit football. The atmosphere for nearly all the games there has been very poor, the pitch is too big for football meaning the fans are a sizeable distance from the players.

I was of the same opinion until the Polish match - they managed to create a bit of a buzz, proving its not just the venue, but mostly ourselves to blame for the lack of atmosphere.

Maroon 7
07/01/2009, 7:49 PM
When would CP realistically be used though? Maybe for a play-off game or a game against a big European side in qualifying.

It would probably be very rarely required although I guess it's always nice to have the option to get more fans in.

pete
07/01/2009, 9:29 PM
yes it will be shame for the 20+ thousand who wont get to see the games after becoming used to it, but if you consider either paying near a million yoyo to use croke park infront of 70,000 crowd

Aside from the fact Croke Park is not suitable for football it makes no economic sense as you mention.

I believe it might be closer 1.5m to rent Croke Park. At those numbers the entire ticket prices for the extra 20-25k would go into the GAAs back pocket. This is even before considering Corporate Boxes, stadium access etc...

Slow day for the Indo journalists to even mention this.

elroy
07/01/2009, 9:33 PM
When would CP realistically be used though? Maybe for a play-off game or a game against a big European side in qualifying.

It would probably be very rarely required although I guess it's always nice to have the option to get more fans in.

In every campaign we usually have two "big" games......Germany and Czech Rep in the last campaign, Bulgaria and Italy this time around, these two games would sell out croke park in each campaign.

Even from a football point of view i dont think it would be a good idea for the game to play the majority of its games at one ground and then the two bigger games at a larger stadium with a bigger pitch etc.

I take the point about the poor atmosphere in CP is down to our own fans. I think the reason for that is that we now have 10-15k people at Ireland games who are there for the spectacle, day out etc and arent all that bothered what the final score is.
IMO the atmosphere at LR was far superior and one of the main reasons for that was that at each of the qualifiers you had a stadium full of people who really cared about how the team got on and wanted them to succeed. Hopefully the same will apply when we return. For example I dont ever remember seeing the mexican wave at LR as a way of "entertaining the fans"....certainly not in a qualifier anyway.

MariborKev
07/01/2009, 9:50 PM
IMO the atmosphere at LR was far superior and one of the main reasons for that was that at each of the qualifiers you had a stadium full of people who really cared about how the team got on and wanted them to succeed. Hopefully the same will apply when we return. For example I dont ever remember seeing the mexican wave at LR as a way of "entertaining the fans"....certainly not in a qualifier anyway.

Let's not get misty eyed here.

There were plenty of "event junkies" in LR as well.

Razors left peg
07/01/2009, 10:06 PM

Thats a fact.... I remember at the last France game in Landsdown a fella behind me askin his mate who the Irish players were all the way through the match. Drove me mental, most people in bits with nerves and this plonker askin which one of them is Duff again:rolleyes:
Croker has alot more of this crowd though

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2009, 10:36 PM

I don't think he intended to over-egg it. He did qualify the mexican wave thing as "being done as a form of entertainment" -by which I'm guessing he meant rather than with the spontaneity of too long ago.

But yeah ...the 'Lansdowne Library' tag didn't just fall out of the sky.

I'd prefer us to play more of our qualifiers in smaller grounds -not bigger ones -though I know it'll be LR all the way when it's ready.

While I agree we should never say never and I acknowledge that the GAA had to come a distance to let football in - I cannot wait to get out of Croke Park.

MariborKev
07/01/2009, 10:39 PM
I remember at the last France game in Landsdown a fella behind me askin his mate who the Irish players were all the way through the match.

Nadir was for me when people around we cheered the Chilean winger Liverpool had signed whilst abusing Joe Gamble when his name was announced in the squad.

Like others, can't wait to get out of Croker.

Schumi
07/01/2009, 10:44 PM
I believe it might be closer 1.5m to rent Croke Park. At those numbers the entire ticket prices for the extra 20-25k would go into the GAAs back pocket. The FAI & IRFU would be in a much stronger negotiating position with Lansdowne Road available so I'd expect the price to be significantly lower. Having said that, the last few games have shown that there isn't sufficient demand for tickets to require anything bigger than Lansdowne outside of maybe a game every two years and it would be silly to move from a stadium that the players are used to.

BTW, does anyone know the capacity of Croke Park with seats on the hill?

janeymac
07/01/2009, 11:50 PM
Aside from the fact Croke Park is not suitable for football it makes no economic sense as you mention.

I believe it might be closer 1.5m to rent Croke Park. At those numbers the entire ticket prices for the extra 20-25k would go into the GAAs back pocket. This is even before considering Corporate Boxes, stadium access etc...

Slow day for the Indo journalists to even mention this.

As far as I remember the rental was 1.2m for a 'clean' stadium. If 60K+? tickets were sold there was something added on/additional commission payable I think.

You are also forgetting that the FAI had a lot better and greater corporate facilities available in Croke Park - not to mention the cut out of what an extra 20-25k plebs would eat and drink!

Also, it would be great for Dublin/Ireland if it had two good stadiums available to be able to bid for sporting finals/tournaments like the Heineken Cup Final, Champions League etc.

As for it being a slow day for a journo - someone from Dublin GAA was supporting the idea before Xmas - now Clare GAA are talking about it.

The canvassing has started - expect a motion at a GAA agm in the near future.

Greenforever
08/01/2009, 1:28 AM
Croek Park seated 76,000 - 26,000 extra seats at €50 = €1.3m, I reckon the GAA would take 50% of this and it would make economic sense for the FAI.

Croke Park for Rugby - Hill 18k (i think) Seats 64K

Additional income for Rugby 15K seats at €70 PLUS 18K on hill @ €50 = €1.95m plus extra boxes etc.

I've previously said I reckon the England game will remain in Croker and quite possibly a few more as even paying the GAA €1m per match the IRFU will be quids in and I think 32,000 rugby club members without tickets will force the issue.

I think it will be very rare to see Soccer if ever at Croker but Lansdowne will end up been a predominatly Soccer stadium.

I would expect a Champions League final in Croker as well as a Heineken Cup Final every few years as the ERC move the final around.

Finally I can't wait to get back to Lansdowne and stay there.

mypost
08/01/2009, 4:36 AM
We have 6 more games at Croke and then we're out for good.

As for the ground been unsuitable for football, there is nothing wrong with a pitch far away from the fans, it happens in most countries, including some of the biggest stadiums in the world. There'll be no problem with atmosphere in Bari, and the pitch'll be just as far away from the crowd as Croker.

The problem is, our fans don't sing at home games. A lot of this is to do with the fair weather element, and poor ko times, especially 3pm games. The atmosphere at LR has been poor for a long time too, mainly for the same reasons.

Claret Murph
08/01/2009, 6:27 AM
Once Lansdowne is open I am sure that will be it for Croke Park and rightly so , Think about the people who have shelled out for 10 year tickets for the new Lansdowne they would not be too happy even if they were to be given tickets for the big match at Corke Park if there was one .
Remember Lansdowne is home I always feel that we are playing away when we are in Croke Park ;)

jbyrne
08/01/2009, 8:06 AM
both tenants, irfu in particular, made more money in the first year using croke park than they did in any year using Lansdowne. The additional revenue from additional punters, higher capacity for corporate seats etc far outweighed the additional rent it was costing

gspain
08/01/2009, 9:05 AM
I think it would be abad move to go back there. We are too far from the pitch. A football pitch is just too small and hence the loss of atmosphere.

Playing the odd game there would mean losing home advantage too.

BaZmO*
08/01/2009, 9:42 AM
I don't think playing the odd game in Croker is a viable option anymore, not since the FAI have decided to do group tickets sales, i.e. you have to buy the ticket for the "more desirable" :rolleyes: game along with a ticket for a game against a "less desirable" team thereby guaranteeing the FAI the full income for both matches.

I suppose you could limit the amount of sales like so that you only sell enough to fill Lansdowne and any other tickets that are required thereafter are sold to fill Croker. But in all honesty, I can't ever see the FAI going back to Croker, I'm glad too. Never liked it for Soccer matches.

As someone has already said, it just seems like a slow news day for the journos. It is funny to see the GAA realise how much of a gravy train the last couple of years has been for them.

Torn-Ado
08/01/2009, 12:19 PM
Like some people said on here, it's good to have the option. Every qualification game will be played in LR, obviously. Perhaps it could be used for friendlies in spring when the siix nations is on etc.

Schumi
08/01/2009, 1:14 PM
both tenants, irfu in particular, made more money in the first year using croke park than they did in any year using Lansdowne. The additional revenue from additional punters, higher capacity for corporate seats etc far outweighed the additional rent it was costingThe FAI had a hefty price increase on moving to Croker which they won't be going back on so they'll make more money in the new Lansdowne than they did in the old stadium too.

Perhaps it could be used for friendlies in spring when the siix nations is on etc.No chance, the place wouldn't have been even half full for the Poland game without away fans.

BaZmO*
08/01/2009, 1:20 PM
No chance, the place wouldn't have been even half full for the Poland game without away fans.
Tickets were already sold though, so it made no difference to the FAI coffers

Schumi
08/01/2009, 1:31 PM
Tickets were already sold though, so it made no difference to the FAI coffersThey were sold because they were grouped with the previous qualifier. If the qualifier is in 50,000 capacity Lansdowne, they'll never sell the other 22,000+ tickets to fill Croker.

BaZmO*
08/01/2009, 2:14 PM
They were sold because they were grouped with the previous qualifier. If the qualifier is in 50,000 capacity Lansdowne, they'll never sell the other 22,000+ tickets to fill Croker.
I know, that's what I said in my previous post.

elroy
08/01/2009, 3:22 PM
They were sold because they were grouped with the previous qualifier. If the qualifier is in 50,000 capacity Lansdowne, they'll never sell the other 22,000+ tickets to fill Croker.

Good financial business by the FAI IMO and i have no complaints because I try to go to all the home games anyways.

If friendlies were sold on their own, i think for the vast majority they would be lucky to get more than 35k. I remember plenty of friendlies at LR in recent times against decent opposition with crowds just around the 30k mark.

jbyrne
08/01/2009, 5:31 PM
The FAI had a hefty price increase on moving to Croker which they won't be going back on so they'll make more money in the new Lansdowne than they did in the old stadium too.

they may make more in the new stadium than the old but both the irfu and fai have done very well from the move to cp. if my memory is right in the 1st year of rugby in cp the irfu made its first profit in years. the fai too effectively increased its capacity for competitive matches from 34k to 70k+ which equates to about an additional €2m in additional gate receipts alone. if cp is available for a match like holland 01 id say its a pretty sure bet it will be played in cp

SuperDub
08/01/2009, 9:37 PM
As for it being a slow day for a journo - someone from Dublin GAA was supporting the idea before Xmas - now Clare GAA are talking about it.

The canvassing has started - expect a motion at a GAA agm in the near future.

A motion has all ready been passed at the Clare County Convention. A vote will be taken at congress in april to make the exsisting arrangement permanent.

gspain
09/01/2009, 12:04 PM
they may make more in the new stadium than the old but both the irfu and fai have done very well from the move to cp. if my memory is right in the 1st year of rugby in cp the irfu made its first profit in years. the fai too effectively increased its capacity for competitive matches from 34k to 70k+ which equates to about an additional €2m in additional gate receipts alone. if cp is available for a match like holland 01 id say its a pretty sure bet it will be played in cp

I would hope the FAI would not move such a game.

The atmosphere at such a game would not be the same at Croke Park.

I think once Lansdowne is ready it will become a permanent home and thus a real home venue.

fergalr
09/01/2009, 12:52 PM
Good riddance if you ask me. Even though I live nearbye I won't be sorry if I never had to watch a footie game in there again.

jbyrne
09/01/2009, 1:09 PM
I would hope the FAI would not move such a game.

The atmosphere at such a game would not be the same at Croke Park.

I think once Lansdowne is ready it will become a permanent home and thus a real home venue.

agree but with premium seat sales for the new stadium very slow the fai will look to cash in anyway they can. agree 100% about the atmosphere

gspain
09/01/2009, 1:27 PM
agree but with premium seat sales for the new stadium very slow the fai will look to cash in anyway they can. agree 100% about the atmosphere

False economy though if we fail to qualify.

SuperDub
09/01/2009, 9:18 PM
Most international stadiums have running tracks around them. No one complains about been miles from the action at these venues. I can gaurentee you if we are still in with a shout next october when the italians come to town there will be no lack of athmosphere in croker.

I have been going to both venues for many years and landsdowne road is no different to croke park and only on a handful of occassions has the crowd been really vocal in landsdowne yet we are 10 times more vocal at away games.

Sligo Hornet
09/01/2009, 9:51 PM
Most international stadiums have running tracks around them. No one complains about been miles from the action at these venues. I can gaurentee you if we are still in with a shout next october when the italians come to town there will be no lack of athmosphere in croker.

I have been going to both venues for many years and landsdowne road is no different to croke park and only on a handful of occassions has the crowd been really vocal in landsdowne yet we are 10 times more vocal at away games.

Always will be this way......it's the hard core fans that travel at great expense and effort, and are usually hugely outnumbered (with the exception of Paris!!) so they put the passionate effort into vocally supporting the team.........usually assisted by 2 or 3 days drinking which helps to wipe out any inhibition:)

MariborKev
09/01/2009, 10:20 PM
IF, and I stress a massive if, this was a viable deal on the table there would have to be serious changes to existing contracts.

Issues such as the ban on promoting the LOI etc on the big screens, removal of flags may seem trivial, but they are symptomatic of the mindset.

The quicker we are out of there the better.

eamo1
09/01/2009, 11:18 PM
Brehony mentioned it in the indo alright about opening croker.Hes obsessed with stirring it and the fianances of the GAA.No point using Croker,poor atmosphere and would only fill for maybe 2 games of the qualifiers,epecially if we are out of the running mid way through a group.

gspain
10/01/2009, 12:54 PM

Most don't actually. Even those that do you seem closer to the action.

The atmosphere has been rubbish at every football match in Croke Park except maybe when Bohs played there 100 years back. The Poles did put on a show and fair play to them but the atmosphere was still poor. It hasn't been a patch on Lansdowne.

Ditto for rugby with the exception of the england game

It may well be for GAA but it is a GAA stadium and the crowd is on top of the pitch there.

OneRedArmy
10/01/2009, 1:36 PM
In order to make Croke Park financially attractive to the FAI and IRFU following Lansdowne Road completion, they would need to be fairly sure of selling the extra 20k seats (remember the seats mean Croker's capacity is reduced) and the rent would need to be considerably less than it is at the minute.

Can't see it happening. Nor would I want to.

But I'm enjoying the Gah-heads coming over all benevolent now there's a recession.

Croke Park stopped us having to play abroad but like Maribor and GSpain I can't wait to get back to Lansdowne.

geysir
10/01/2009, 2:33 PM
But I'm enjoying the Gah-heads coming over all benevolent now there's a recession.
That doesn't make a lot a sense.
There is no indication that previous opponents of opening up Croker are now advocating more openness.

Actually, in a poll conducted by the GPA of it's members, some 95% wanted Croker to be opened up, (at the very least) while Lansdowne was being renovated. That was long before the word recession entered the common vocabularily.

It is common knowledge that there would be a later debate on opening up by those in the GAA who want to dump rule 42.
The debate is being promoted by people who want to ditch rule 42.

The argument for Croker though has little economic merit once new Lansdowne is opened.
There is another picture, a few of the county boards that might well have voted against relaxing the rule 42 but have decided (so reluctantly) to accept their share of the rent revenues might well be more open to supporting moves to rent out facilities/or renovate facilities up to a standard for renting out.

SuperDub
10/01/2009, 3:30 PM
Most don't actually. Even those that do you seem closer to the action..

Well a few stadiums i have been to in the last few years have running tracks around them for example Tehran, Yokahama, Nigata, Paris, Stuttgart, Tbilisi, Tirana, They are a few that come to mind also bari and sofia have them too.

QUOTE=gspain;1084215]The atmosphere has been rubbish at every football match in Croke Park except maybe when Bohs played there 100 years back. The Poles did put on a show and fair play to them but the atmosphere was still poor. It hasn't been a patch on Lansdowne. ..[/QUOTE]

Yes and why is there a lack of atmosphere because the fans cant be bothered to get behind the team as you say the poles made an effort, so there is no reason why we cant. We certainly make ourselves heard at away games.

Hopefully the proposed singing section in the davin stand will make a difference and maybe we might get a few new songs to sing as the songs we have are tired and outdated.

MariborKev
10/01/2009, 4:37 PM
Comprehensively put to bed in today's IT.

We're on our way........

elroy
11/01/2009, 10:17 PM
Comprehensively put to bed in today's IT.

We're on our way........

Ya saw Philip Browne's quotes. An awful lot of it made sense, for example considering they are selling the naming rights to LR, the sponsors wouldnt be too impressed if the bigger games were moved to CP.

A more likely outcome in the long term is that the capacity is extended once planning issues are solved.

Funny though how keen a number of high profile GAA figures are to keep the FAI and the IRFU in Croke Park, this was evident in the Late Late show GAA tribute etc programme the other night. Apparently each county board has received at least 250k solely from the rent received for CP. Id imagine all the county boards bar the usual northern counties will vote to keep the stadium open permanently.

gspain
12/01/2009, 8:22 AM
Ya saw Philip Browne's quotes. An awful lot of it made sense, for example considering they are selling the naming rights to LR, the sponsors wouldnt be too impressed if the bigger games were moved to CP.

A more likely outcome in the long term is that the capacity is extended once planning issues are solved.

Funny though how keen a number of high profile GAA figures are to keep the FAI and the IRFU in Croke Park, this was evident in the Late Late show GAA tribute etc programme the other night. Apparently each county board has received at least 250k solely from the rent received for CP. Id imagine all the county boards bar the usual northern counties will vote to keep the stadium open permanently.

In fairness all bar Cork and Monaghan in the Republic did vote to open it first time. The 6 NI counties will no doubt hold fast again.

I can't see it being used as per all the reasons outlined by Philip Browne but no harm in having the option.

janeymac
12/01/2009, 12:05 PM
I wonder if this is the reason they are saying that there will be no return to Croke Park.

"The FAI are in significantly more difficult position, having introduced a tiered price scheme for their 10-year tickets, although Browne was confident this would not hinder the funding process." - Irish Times.

It would be very difficult to sell corporate / 10 year season tickets at the moment if anyone thought that the 'events' really worth going to were probably going to move to Croke Park, a bigger venue and so easier to get tickets to. In saying that, I don't think the FAI will need Croke Park, but I do see the IRFU needing it again for a couple of games a year like England & France and the ABs when they come back again. I don't see what the problem is for corporate / 10 year ticket holders / advertisers - they are just facilitiated in a bigger venue. Only problem would be naming rights - but they haven't sold them yet. From what I heard about renaming Thomond Park, the offers they got weren't even worth considering.

gspain
12/01/2009, 12:22 PM
I wonder if this is the reason they are saying that there will be no return to Croke Park.

"The FAI are in significantly more difficult position, having introduced a tiered price scheme for their 10-year tickets, although Browne was confident this would not hinder the funding process." - Irish Times.

It would be very difficult to sell corporate / 10 year season tickets at the moment if anyone thought that the 'events' really worth going to were probably going to move to Croke Park, a bigger venue and so easier to get tickets to. In saying that, I don't think the FAI will need Croke Park, but I do see the IRFU needing it again for a couple of games a year like England & France and the ABs when they come back again. I don't see what the problem is for corporate / 10 year ticket holders / advertisers - they are just facilitiated in a bigger venue. Only problem would be naming rights - but they haven't sold them yet. From what I heard about renaming Thomond Park, the offers they got weren't even worth considering.

So far all 6 nations games have sold out at Croke Park without any tickets going on public sale. IMO Wales (and possibly Scotland) are normally more difficult tickets to source than France btw but most non rugby journalists just assume France is the 2nd biggest game.

The GAA seatholders have first call on the corporate tickets. The uptake for rugby has been huge (over 95% if I recall correctly). It is 45-50% for football. This may well apply for the corporate boxes too.

Lansdowne Road is in D4. This might be more attractive for some corporates rather than "da nortside".

There was huge opposition in Limerick to selling the naming rights for Thomond Park. Lansdowne Road is call after a road. I haven't heard any opposition to the IRFU and FAI cashing in on the naming rights. O2 apparently paid very well for the former point depot naming rights. The figure has never been disclosed afaik but I know of somebody who was involved in a very sizable bid that lost heavily.

janeymac
12/01/2009, 12:56 PM
So far all 6 nations games have sold out at Croke Park without any tickets going on public sale. IMO Wales (and possibly Scotland) are normally more difficult tickets to source than France btw but most non rugby journalists just assume France is the 2nd biggest game.

Agree with you there - but the glamour games are still England, France & ABs and so there would be a greater demand for tickets. To a certain extent, the FAI are lucky that the IRFU didn't go for a bigger stadium to cater for its needs.

The GAA seatholders have first call on the corporate tickets. The uptake for rugby has been huge (over 95% if I recall correctly). It is 45-50% for football. This may well apply for the corporate boxes too.

Different story now though with a new deal - IRFU are in a stronger bargaining position.

Lansdowne Road is in D4. This might be more attractive for some corporates rather than "da nortside".

I honestly don't believe that it would make a huge different to corporates or most Irish people (who know the road to Croker well).

There was huge opposition in Limerick to selling the naming rights for Thomond Park. Lansdowne Road is call after a road. I haven't heard any opposition to the IRFU and FAI cashing in on the naming rights. O2 apparently paid very well for the former point depot naming rights. The figure has never been disclosed afaik but I know of somebody who was involved in a very sizable bid that lost heavily.

The money bandied about for Thomond in the beginning was something like 15m for 10/16 years or something. The best offer they were getting was about 2/3 million (though the resistance to the name change might have had a lot to do with the low offer - no one would want their brand boycotted in Munster! Anyway, Thomond Park/Munster Rugby seems to be very well financed - touch of the GAA there on how they operate!

As for Point/O2 naming - different kettle of fish completely as it has events that have mass appeal. The rights were sold prior to the credit crunch - the usual suspects like banks, car, etc. won't have too much cash to splash and even unlike Munster Rugby who have a pretty high profile in a (minority) sport - Irish rugby & football don't have the same draw for being a very successful brand to identify with.

gspain
12/01/2009, 1:45 PM
Agree with you there - but the glamour games are still England, France & ABs and so there would be a greater demand for tickets. To a certain extent, the FAI are lucky that the IRFU didn't go for a bigger stadium to cater for its needs.

Different story now though with a new deal - IRFU are in a stronger bargaining position.

I honestly don't believe that it would make a huge different to corporates or most Irish people (who know the road to Croker well).

The money bandied about for Thomond in the beginning was something like 15m for 10/16 years or something. The best offer they were getting was about 2/3 million (though the resistance to the name change might have had a lot to do with the low offer - no one would want their brand boycotted in Munster! Anyway, Thomond Park/Munster Rugby seems to be very well financed - touch of the GAA there on how they operate!

As for Point/O2 naming - different kettle of fish completely as it has events that have mass appeal. The rights were sold prior to the credit crunch - the usual suspects like banks, car, etc. won't have too much cash to splash and even unlike Munster Rugby who have a pretty high profile in a (minority) sport - Irish rugby & football don't have the same draw for being a very successful brand to identify with.

They couldn't build Lansdowne Road any bigger. I think the size is perfect for football but I don't think the FAI are particularly lucky there. a bigger stadium would have cost more but would still have been filled sometimes.

The GAA holders have the right afaik to a ticket for any event in Croke Park and the GAA can't negotiate that right away even if the wanted to screw their own corporate ticket holders. The IRFU could negotiate cheaper rent and could try and insist on a "clean" stadium but why bother? The benefits aren't that great - most of the revenue from the 20,000 extra punters will go in rent.

Munster rugby are funded by the IRFU. The threat of a boycott did scare away at least one serious contender for the naming rights.

Even with the credit crunch Lansdowne road is a far bigger attraction than the O2 arena. The numbers going along with the profile of the events will ensure this. Football Internationals typically top the ratings on RTE (17 of the last 20 years) for sports events. I think the FAI will struggle to sell ten year tickets but only a stupid boycott threat would screw up the stadium naming rights.

Bluetonic
13/01/2009, 1:05 PM
Whilst not related to the FAIs use of Lansdowne, sure there must have been some thoughts into the north stand having removable seats and creating a terrace there for the rugby.

I wonder would the cost benefit of the work over the increased attendance be worth it. A terrace in the north stand for rugby would certainly add to atmosphere and make up for the lack of size.

Obviously this is a non issue for the FAI at the moment, but it might be something we see changed in the future if terraces are proven to be 'safe' once again.

Presumably the north stand will be use for away fans by the FAI?

Macy
13/01/2009, 1:13 PM
There's been "safe terracing" for years in Germany, but no one seems interested here, or more importantly as we only follow, in the UK in introducing it.

Schumi
13/01/2009, 1:20 PM
Whilst not related to the FAIs use of Lansdowne, sure there must have been some thoughts into the north stand having removable seats and creating a terrace there for the rugby.

I wonder would the cost benefit of the work over the increased attendance be worth it. A terrace in the north stand for rugby would certainly add to atmosphere and make up for the lack of size.The IRFU charge significantly more for seats than for terrace tickets so they won't be losing out on any money by having Lansdowne all-seated.

Bluetonic
13/01/2009, 1:27 PM
The IRFU charge significantly more for seats than for terrace tickets so they won't be losing out on any money by having Lansdowne all-seated.
Fair enough. Whats the price difference between say The Hill and the lower Davin? Obviously the north stand will be covered so it's in a better position that The Hill.

I wonder what potential increase in capacity it could give Lansdowne in the future if it was a runner (granted by UEFA/FIFA)

There's been "safe terracing" for years in Germany, but no one seems interested here, or more importantly as we only follow, in the UK in introducing it.
Its fine for non internationals if memory serves me right, so pretty much irrelevant here.