PDA

View Full Version : best goal ever in LOI

Pages : [1] 2

irishultra
06/01/2009, 4:37 PM
? so what was it IYO

stann
06/01/2009, 4:43 PM
Barry Wood for Waterford against Bohemians at Dalymount in about 1999.
Took down the ball, turned his marker (Peter Hanrahan maybe?), and volleyed into the top corner from 40+ yards out.

END
OF!
:D

(No TV cameras to record it of course)

Mr A
06/01/2009, 4:53 PM
Damien Dunleavy- Harps V UCD in the first game under lights at Finn Park. Long punt from McIntyre towards Dunleavy who was just inside the UCD half with his back to goal. He spins on it hitting it on the half-volley and it goes into the top corner like an exocet. Incredible piece of skill.

There were cameras there, but the ball travelled so fast it caused the air to heat and melt them.

gael353
06/01/2009, 4:56 PM
Tommy Gaynor for Limerick Vs i think Longford town 1985 i think. He centered, rounded 5/6 players drew the keeper, rounded him and slot the ball home from a tight angle. 1 nil after about 25 seconds. Jimmy MaGee did the commentary and Tommy was sold to doncaster a few weeks later.

Flawless
06/01/2009, 4:58 PM
Donal Broughan
Dundalk vs Finn Harps. Scored a belter of a free kick from almost the halfway line! think it was aroind 00-01 or maybe 01-02?
One of the best i've seen anyway!

I did like one of Killian Brennans Belters for Bohs last year too, not sure who it was against but i remember it being a fair few yards out!

superfrank
06/01/2009, 4:59 PM
I remember Franco Georgescu beat Craig Gordon from 40 yards in a friendly against Hearts in 2005. Absolutely cracking goal. Pity we were 5-0 down at the time.

SkStu
06/01/2009, 5:00 PM
Glen Crowe v St. Pats, half volley from 30yards into SC End around 2001.
Paul Byrne v Bray in Carlisle Grounds (same season) from the halfway line. No cameras at that one but anyone who was lucky enough to be there will agree it was a bit special.
Ken Oman v Shels.

eamo1
06/01/2009, 5:02 PM
Tony Folan vrs Athlone town,his second and Galway Utds third that night in a 3-1 win.Athlone had a corner it came out to Tony on the edge of his own box,he just took the ball and ran.Beat 2 players,out muscled another and dropped the shoulder to beat another on the edge of Athlone's box before curling a shot into the top corner,unreal.Of course no cameras there either and even though there was barely 200 people there to see it half of Galway will tell you they were there that night to see it.
Liam Coyle,former Derry striker scored an amzing goal once against Galway Utd.He scored a hatrick against us one night and i think was his second goal.He controlled the ball on his chest and swivelled,turned and shot all in the one movement from a tight angle.I just stood up an applauded,what a goal.

A face
06/01/2009, 5:03 PM
John O'flynn against Drogs at the cross the 2nd year he was with City, unreal goal, at the edge of the box took it blind around 3 players into the far top corner of the net. The whole Drogs team had to be told the ball was in the net.

sligo23
06/01/2009, 5:17 PM
Ollie Keogh for Rovers againts Shels, i think??
not bad.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbRm-TlhVk

Rovers1
06/01/2009, 5:22 PM
notice how almost everyone is going for their own club?;)

id have to go for eh....Sean Flannerys scissors kick V Galway around 2004/05?

Rovers Maniac
06/01/2009, 5:27 PM
Ollie Keogh for Rovers againts Shels, i think??
not bad.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbRm-TlhVk

Thats it class goal to be fair !

dfx-
06/01/2009, 5:31 PM
Pat Deans scored a great halfway line/wind assisted goal against Shels in the FAI Cup about 6 years ago. Tony Grant's goal in the 3-2 defeat at Richmond about 5 years ago was a great move and great header. There was something like 20 passes in the first of four against Monaghan two years ago. Jason McGuinness' 40 yard strike against Douglas Hall in 2005. Stephen Geogeghan's struck a shot from about 40-45 yards at the RDS in 93-94 against Galway I think would be my pick of Rovers' goals I can immediately remember.

Best goal I've seen - Joey Ndo for Shels with an outstanding run in a 6-0 win against UCD in 2006.

Black and White
06/01/2009, 5:36 PM
Athlones goalie Gary Connaughton scored from his own box about 10 year ago against someone...if not that then John Gills 1st season with us, Sean Finn scored alot of excellent frees but the left back Brian kelly took the ball just over the half way line and belted it into the top corner from 45 yard out!
Trevor Vaughan last season down in Wexford...the perfect hatrick, left foot, right foot and then his 3rd goal, just inside Wexfords half, he chipped the keeper who was on the penalty spot!!

pineapple stu
06/01/2009, 5:39 PM
Best goal I've seen - Joey Ndo for Shels with an outstanding run in a 6-0 win against UCD in 2006.
Boo! :(

I suppose this thread has to be on a "your team" basis. I like our second goal against Kyustendil - Mahon throw on the edge of our box into Clive, short passes across the back four to McAuley to McLoughlin, then to McAuley in centre mid now, a forward one two with Kavanagh who split the defence with a reverse pass for McAuley to run onto and blast first time past the keeper from the edge of the box. Great team move.

Two individual goals stand out - McWalter chesting down a Sligo kick out in 2006, taking one touch forward and volleying home from 35 yards (he was nominated for goal of the month twice in the same game), and Alan Cawley taking down a Longford kick out on the last day of 2003, chipping over the Longford defence, running onto his own pass, rounding O'Brien and sliding home. Tony Mac scored a scissors kick the same game. Wasn't enough to keep us up though.

Dodge
06/01/2009, 5:45 PM
Glen Crowe v St. Pats, half volley from 30yards into SC End around 2001.

Thats the best I've seen against us.

Best I;ve seen a Pats player score was Curtis Fleming v Bohs in about 191 in Dalymount. Took it from right back spot, beat one or two, then rifled into top corner from just oputside the centre cirle. Astonishing goal, and one of his very few efforts on target ever

sligoman
06/01/2009, 5:55 PM
Any goal by Almeida, purely cos he's class!

sonofstan
06/01/2009, 5:55 PM
Best against us was probably Fahey's this year. Best for - Oman as mentioned already, T. Heary against Shels at Tolka, and Stephen Caffrey against Pat's in Inchicore ('03?)

Black and White
06/01/2009, 6:18 PM
Thats what I like to hear...Thomas Heary scoring good goals!!:D

bellavistaman
06/01/2009, 6:19 PM
Kevin McHugh only ever scored screamers against us there years back with Harps one of them probably if im beding honest like

Billsthoughts
06/01/2009, 6:24 PM
v pats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLYPvOY6s0)
tony sheridan against ucd for shels and the volley he scored in the drawn cup final

Rocky77
06/01/2009, 6:27 PM
http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2401534.smil

CSFShels
06/01/2009, 6:45 PM
Forsyth for Shels against Longford. Season just gone, oddly enough.

Martinho II
06/01/2009, 7:32 PM
http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2401534.smil

i can think of a goal better than that from a town player eric lavine against ucd in the 2003 season.. a beautiful volley straight from a cross and typical of tv3 the cameras werent there at all..

sonofstan
06/01/2009, 7:39 PM
Thats what I like to hear...Thomas Heary scoring good goals!!:D

5 years ago.....

Rocky77
06/01/2009, 7:40 PM
i can think of a goal better than that from a town player eric lavine against ucd in the 2003 season.. a beautiful volley straight from a cross and typical of tv3 the cameras werent there at all..

This wasn't bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjP_JgWvx4U

centre mid
06/01/2009, 7:46 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DAaMdU9C1uk

Paul Keegan scored a cracker against us a few years ago

gilberto_eire
06/01/2009, 7:52 PM

Best I;ve seen a Pats player score was Curtis Fleming v Bohs in about 191 in Dalymount. Took it from right back spot, beat one or two, then rifled into top corner from just oputside the centre cirle. Astonishing goal, and one of his very few efforts on target ever

Yes i believe John the baptist son played a stormer that day:p

Best goal i remember seeing in recent times was Lester in the league cup earlier this yr, screamer from around 40 yards,

its on youtube under GUFC-Longford,2-0 to us, can't copy the link as i'm on the PS3

OneRedArmy
06/01/2009, 7:58 PM
Paddy McCourt for Rovers against Harps (:confused:). Think he scored two belters in that game and possibly had 3 nominated for goal of the month (again :confused:).

The one I'm thinking of was on the half volley from 35 odd yards.

Absolutely top class.

Best Derry goal in terms of a strike was possibly Kevin Deery v Gretna or Paul Mooney against Shels (again :confused:) circa 1992. He hit in from half way down the Lone Moore Rd.

Best worked goal was Coyle to Speake against Dundalk (yet another guess) in the Treble season. Nutmegged Coll, tight against the touchline around half way and played an inch perfect pass with the outside of his boot to the on-rushing Speake....

Of course I could be imagining them all.

placid casual
06/01/2009, 7:58 PM
pat mccourt. Rovers vs bray
nothing more needs to be said

1st goal -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8b6SPt5ak
2nd goal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcyz0BlxXwM&NR=1

Flexy
06/01/2009, 7:59 PM
Derry's - Liam Coyles strike against Athlone on the last day of the season when they lost the league think it was 93 great strike for any occassion even thou the day turned sour later. Also kevin deery's 2nd strike against gretna in fir park

atfconline
06/01/2009, 8:02 PM
Athlones goalie Gary Connaughton scored from his own box about 10 year ago against someone..

Against Dublin City in Mel's.

The Lilywhites
06/01/2009, 9:08 PM
John Gills 1st season with us, Sean Finn scored alot of excellent frees but the left back Brian kelly took the ball just over the half way line and belted it into the top corner from 45 yard out!

Two is hardly "a lot" :)

Kelly's goal was against Kildare. Cracker alright but 45-yards is a slight exaggeration :D

Paddyfield
06/01/2009, 10:03 PM
Pat Dolan scored a late winner for Galway United against Sligo (very late 80's, maybe 1990?)

Actually, it wasn't noteworthy or in anyway special except for the fact that Dolan went over to the pressbox after the game to make sure that the reporters credited him for the all important final touch. FFS

Mr A
06/01/2009, 10:09 PM
Pat Dolan scored a late winner for Galway United against Sligo (very late 80's, maybe 1990?)

Actually, it wasn't noteworthy or in anyway special except for the fact that Dolan went over to the pressbox after the game to make sure that the reporters credited him for the all important final touch. FFS

And then ate their sandwiches.

osarusan
06/01/2009, 10:22 PM
Peter Mumby with the only goal of the game against Home Farm in a FAI Cup second replay in Rathbane in 1991 (?). He took the ball this way and that to make space between 2 defenders and smashed the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

If not that, Eddie Hickey scoring from a kick out against Galway on a freeeeeeezing Terryland night a few years later. Eddie Van Boxtel reacted too late and as he dived backwards,could only parry the ball into the roof of the net. The best thing was he started abusing his defenders for allowing the ball to bounce at all, but then my dad and fellow Limerick fan who was beside me behind the Galway goal started shouting at van Boxtel and telling him how rubbish he was and how it was all his fault. Van Boxtel looked around with this startled, baffled look on his face. Priceless.

Kildareman
06/01/2009, 10:30 PM
Marc (Beachboy) Kennys equaliser straight from the kick-off v Limerick in 2004. When in like a bullet into the top corner. Magic

gael353
06/01/2009, 10:54 PM
Marc (Beachboy) Kennys equaliser straight from the kick-off v Limerick in 2004. When in like a bullet into the top corner. Magic

twas a good goal all right but poor goalkeeping by Healy as he had the sun in his eyes and missjudged the flight of the ball.

SkStu
07/01/2009, 2:11 AM
here is the Crowe goal versus Pats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzed-wkobRw

Omans goal versus Shels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTdDPDQHpWQ

ciaraa
07/01/2009, 4:55 AM
Those McCourt ones are brilliant. Didnt he get another one against Waterford on the half volley that same season?
Sean Dillon got a belter for Longford in United Park cup semi replay a few years ago.
Best from a LOI player (albeit not in the league) has to be Dave Barrys against Bayern.

Dalymountrower
07/01/2009, 7:48 AM

Agreed on both counts, for the modern era.

Volley from 30 yards John Mc Cormack , BOHS V Harps, `73 and Ashleigh Grimes screamer in the thrashing of Rovers in a cup replay in Milltown `77(?) from the pre bust boom bust boom bust economic cycle.

Stiof
07/01/2009, 9:30 AM
Kevin Deery has scored some screamers for us. The 2 against Gretna already mentioned, one from the half way line against Shels at Tolka (the 2-2 game where O'Flynn had to go in goal), the one in last years league cup final but my favourite has to be this against Waterford:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4vETzOBxtqE

joeSoap
07/01/2009, 9:53 AM
If not that, Eddie Hickey scoring from a kick out against Galway on a freeeeeeezing Terryland night a few years later. Eddie Van Boxtel reacted too late and as he dived backwards,could only parry the ball into the roof of the net. The best thing was he started abusing his defenders for allowing the ball to bounce at all, but then my dad and fellow Limerick fan who was beside me behind the Galway goal started shouting at van Boxtel and telling him how rubbish he was and how it was all his fault. Van Boxtel looked around with this startled, baffled look on his face. Priceless. The problem there was that Van Boxtel was too busy putting ten spots into cellophane bags to sell after the game, and also was on the mobile at the time organising the next shipment from Colombia.....he couldn't concentrate on the football ffs!!

HammerNThongs
07/01/2009, 11:01 AM
For some reason the only goal that wont get out of my head right now for City was a Greg O Halloran strike on the half volley from the edge of the area against Pats I think. He was playing at RB and it was into the Shed and was one of those classicly awful Eircom League ties where if one pass was made, the next one was instantly given away. I think simply because it was actually the only bit of quality in the game, it may stand out a bit better then it should in my memory.

Oh and Edit to add Keith Fahey this year against Bohs. This deserves a mention because unlike guys like O Halloran, I get the impression that if Fahey was faced up in the exact same position another 10 times, he would find the back of the net with at least 6 of his shots

pineapple stu
07/01/2009, 11:04 AM
Actually, before I get lynched, I should mention Andy Myler's lob from half way against either Finn Harps or Limerick. It was the day after David Beckham's lob against Wimbledon. Course, Neil Sullivan wasn't on the edge of his box doing toe touches at the time...

spongebob
07/01/2009, 11:26 AM
Kevin McHugh
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NI-m1nQQFQ0&feature=PlayList&p=9C0B6351377B5591&playnext=1&index=55

the-blue-harp
07/01/2009, 6:27 PM
glad you mentioned mchugh!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YIDvLUTgVPY&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVPAjnIX34

he has scored some screamers down through the years.

Martinho II
07/01/2009, 7:23 PM
This wasn't bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjP_JgWvx4U

another lavine classic pity he cant do it with scumlone any more:p another brill town goal was kirbys lob from i think thirty yards out over the goalie in united park v drogs think it was 2002/03??

Martinho II
07/01/2009, 7:28 PM
For some reason the only goal that wont get out of my head right now for City was a Greg O Halloran strike on the half volley from the edge of the area against Pats I think. He was playing at RB and it was into the Shed and was one of those classicly awful Eircom League ties where if one pass was made, the next one was instantly given away. I think simply because it was actually the only bit of quality in the game, it may stand out a bit better then it should in my memory.

speakin of greg o'halloran does anyone remember his debut goal for us in flansiro against pats in 2001/02 season in the 3-3 draw. he scored a screamer of a volley to equalise..:)

Blue Man
07/01/2009, 7:43 PM
I know it wasnt in the league but Dave Rogers volley vs Hajduk Split was one of the greatest ones Ive seen.

Paul Finucane scored a stunning volley against me when I was with Dublin City in Richmond in 2005. Any Limerick fans remember that one?!