PDA

View Full Version : The History of Football

holidaysong
06/01/2009, 12:56 PM
A new series on UKTV History. It started last night and is on this week and next at 11pm each night. Tonight's episode focuses on the origins of the game..

Closed Account 2
06/01/2009, 1:21 PM
I think this is a program that has been on a few times before a couple of years ago, it's well worth watching if anyone gets the chance, from what I remember it's a very global program and there are sections on football all over the world.

By the way if anyone remembers a BBC series called "Football, Fussball, Voetball" it covered the development of football across Europe from its origins c.1900 to the mid 1990s. It was the finest sports documentary I've ever seen, the Dutch program was as spot on as Kuper's book and the ones on France (covering the old teams of Stade de Reims and Juste Fontaine, through to Marseille and the tapie affair) and the one on the former Yugoslavia were great.

Sadly it was broadcast in the days before DVD and the internet took off. It's not been released on DVD and I've looked high and low for even VHS copies of it but without luck.

holidaysong
06/01/2009, 1:41 PM
I think this is a program that has been on a few times before a couple of years ago, it's well worth watching if anyone gets the chance, from what I remember it's a very global program and there are sections on football all over the world.

The first episode last night covered superstars of the game. Very good show alright, especially the bits on Maradona. I'm looking forward to the origins of the game one tonight..

stann
06/01/2009, 4:15 PM
By the way if anyone remembers a BBC series called "Football, Fussball, Voetball"...

I remember that, I think. BBC2 ran an entire Saturday night devoted to football one night many years ago (if anyone remembers, it ended with a full showing of the '66 WC Final), and I think that was one of the programmes shown. Excellent, it was.
Cheers for the tip-off, holidaysong, looking forward to that show tonight.

stojkovic
06/01/2009, 11:25 PM
Sadly it was broadcast in the days before DVD and the internet took off. It's not been released on DVD and I've looked high and low for even VHS copies of it but without luck.

Your lucky day edmundo.

I have it all on VHS, six episodes I think. It was shown prior to Euro96.

Need to convert it to DVD though.

Will let you know if successfull.

Closed Account 2
07/01/2009, 11:43 PM
Your lucky day edmundo.

I have it all on VHS, six episodes I think. It was shown prior to Euro96.

Need to convert it to DVD though.

Will let you know if successfull.

Wow, seriously ?? That's great news! I've done a few homemade DVD-VHS conversions, PM me if you need any help!

stojkovic
08/01/2009, 7:28 PM
Yeah I will try and convert this weekend and let you know how I get on. Im not very techy in a nerdy way if you know what I mean.

A face
12/01/2009, 9:25 PM
I have only seen two of them yet but its really good i thought. Dont miss it if possible.