PDA

View Full Version : Thriller in Manila

Neish
06/01/2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone watch this last night? Documentry focusing on Frazier side of his rivalry with Ali. Thought it was a decent show kinda showed a different side to Ali's character

Lionel Ritchie
06/01/2009, 1:35 PM
Yeah I enjoyed it. Man the bitterness though! Horrible to see Joe Frazier end up with that much spitefulness. There's no percentage in it.

Ali does not come out of it well at all either.

Macy
06/01/2009, 1:41 PM
Watched it a few nights ago on More 4. Really interesting to see the other side of Ali, and how Frazier was treated. I guess Frazier has some reason to be bitter given his background and the things that Ali said, but it wasn't pretty. Ali came across terribly, but not as bad as Ali's doctor.

Mind you excellent film making the way they built up the sympathy for Frazier and then ending it how they did.

Aberdonian Stu
06/01/2009, 3:44 PM
I have When We Were Kings on DVD. It's got possibly the most useful DVD extras ever, the complete fights of both the Rumble in the Jungle and the Thrilla in Manilla.

strangeirish
06/01/2009, 5:39 PM
Interview with Ali from 1972 with RTE, before his fight in Croke Park.

Here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2009/0106/ali_av.html)

Some interesting thoughts from him, with regard to segregation and a Holy war.

A face
06/01/2009, 5:45 PM
Is Ali gonna pop his clogs or something? Whats with all the documentaries etc lately, loads of old interviews and the like surfacing, not that i mind but there is alot of them on a few channels.

strangeirish
06/01/2009, 6:02 PM
Is Ali gonna pop his clogs or something? Whats with all the documentaries etc lately, loads of old interviews and the like surfacing, not that i mind but there is alot of them on a few channels.
Don't know, but his birthday is January 17th. He'll be 67.

sligoman
06/01/2009, 6:29 PM
Saw that interview last night, was very good. Ali really seemed down to earth.