PDA

View Full Version : Sean Dillon called in to UAE finals squad

Macy
12/11/2003, 1:15 PM
Sean Dillon of Longford Town has been called into the Republic of Ireland Under-20s squad for the World Youth Championship finals in the United Arab Emirates which begin at the end of November.

Dillon comes in for the injured defender Stephen Brennan (Newcastle United) who withdrew from the squad with a thigh injury on Monday.

The Longford Town player is delighted with his call-up. “I was disappointed when I was not in the original squad and while I feel sorry for Stephen Brennan that he is missing out I would have taken any route to be included. I was leaving for college this morning when I got the call from Gerry Smith and it was a great feeling to realise I had made it,” says Dillon.

Dillon’s inclusion brings to five the number of eircom League players named by manager Gerry Smith for these prestigious finals. Yesterday (Tuesday) Smith brought in Bray Wanderers’ Eamonn Zayed when Adrian Deane of Charlton Athletic pulled out with medial ligament problems in his leg.

Dillon and Zayed join Stephen Paisley (Longford Town) and the Cork City duo of Liam Kearney and Kevin Doyle in the squad which will leave for the Emirates on November 20.

On the night before their departure the team will meet Paraguay in a friendly international at Richmond Park in Inchicore (kick-off 7.30 p.m.).

“It wasn’t easy to make a choice when it came to naming the replacements but I think we still have a very strong squad. We have given the call to five eircom League players and that, I think, is a great boost for the game here at home,” says manager Smith.

“All the players in the squad will get a run in the game against Paraguay and that will wind up our preparations until we arrive in the Emirates,” adds Smith.

Think that means that he'll miss the last two games of the season....

Xlex
12/11/2003, 1:20 PM
Fair play to Sean, never a nicer guy you could meet...

pete
12/11/2003, 1:58 PM
Nice one. 5 eL players is good quota.

Smith seemed to be stalling on a defender replacement & I was trying to think if any young eL full backs this morning.

Macy
12/11/2003, 2:00 PM
Dillon was in the squad all year, and then got dropped for the finals, whereas Paisley hasn't been getting his game (and on last night I can see why) and walked it....