PDA

View Full Version : New sports facility set for lusk.

Lamper.sffc
03/01/2009, 5:46 PM
The Councils new sports facility has been earmarked for Lusk.

Here are some details retrieved from the the Fingal Independant.

10 million Fingal complex has gone out on public display
To be built on council owned site to the north of Station Road in Lusk
The 5.7 hectare site will be home to a complex that includes an indoor pitch and two outdoor, floodlit pitches with a seating capacity close to 5,000
Originally it was to be just a soccer academy for the fingal community but it has now had a change of philosophy to open it up to other sports such as rugby and juvenile GAA
Parking for 210 cars. But for major events it will use a 700 car overflow carpark half a mile away.
One of the outdoor floodlit pitches will have permanent covered seating for 4,200 spectators with tempory seating for a further 560 people

Here are links to two more fingal independant articles. Which show a picture of the facility.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/funding-to-come-from-three-sources-1589968.html

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/most-councillors-welcome-new-sports-facility-in-lusk-1589966.html

After reading the articles, I dont know whether to be pleased about this or not. Not a lot about sporting fingal being tennants. Watch this space i suppose.

holidaysong
06/01/2009, 12:23 AM
Seems odd to build on the road between Lusk and Rush rather than in Swords which would be a much larger population centre..

Will you be staying in Morton Stadium for the foreseeable future anyway?

Lamper.sffc
06/01/2009, 1:57 AM
Seems odd to build on the road between Lusk and Rush rather than in Swords which would be a much larger population centre..

Will you be staying in Morton Stadium for the foreseeable future anyway?

Have to agree. Swords makes more sense. It would be close enough to the train station though.

Presume we will still be in morton. Not much info coming from club at the moment.

Sporting Man
06/01/2009, 3:55 PM
Have to agree. Swords makes more sense. It would be close enough to the train station though.

Presume we will still be in morton. Not much info coming from club at the moment.

Happy new year all. Story so far is Swords was shelfed but not scraped altogether as they cant build until the luas north is finished and as thats been put on hold and with no word on when it will start they decided to go for the Lusk plan,This plan will take two years to finish so for then we stay in Morton.Have to say Lusk is going to look Super there was some talk about a park and ride from Swords for big match days.

Lamper.sffc
06/01/2009, 4:32 PM
Happy new year all. Story so far is Swords was shelfed but not scraped altogether as they cant build until the luas north is finished and as thats been put on hold and with no word on when it will start they decided to go for the Lusk plan,This plan will take two years to finish so for then we stay in Morton.Have to say Lusk is going to look Super there was some talk about a park and ride from Swords for big match days.

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers for the update. Does this mean sporting will be going into the facility when its finished. Didnt seem to be much mention of this in the articles i read in the fingal independent. Was getting worried sporting would not be involved in the facility at all. Good news about Morton also.

Would be quite happy for sporting to play out of Lusk for the foreseeable future. If people travel to morton surely they will travel to lusk. I will, due to the fact i live in rush.:)

holidaysong
07/01/2009, 12:40 AM
If people travel to morton surely they will travel to lusk. I will, due to the fact i live in rush.:)

It's a lot easier to hop on a bus and go to Morton from Swords than it would be to get to Lusk. Unless you happen to be along the DART line, it could prove difficult - especially for younger fans (which you seem to have a lot of). I just see more sense in staying in Morton for an extra couple of years and hold off for a move to Swords rather than going to Lusk. In my opinion, if you go to Lusk it makes a long term move to Swords less likely..

Lamper.sffc
07/01/2009, 1:08 AM
It's a lot easier to hop on a bus and go to Morton from Swords than it would be to get to Lusk. Unless you happen to be along the DART line, it could prove difficult - especially for younger fans (which you seem to have a lot of). I just see more sense in staying in Morton for an extra couple of years and hold off for a move to Swords rather than going to Lusk. In my opinion, if you go to Lusk it makes a long term move to Swords less likely..

Not trying to be argumentative holiday but its not easier to hop on a bus to santry than heading to lusk. Its about the same with less traffic.
It would take about 10 mins (at most) from swords by car and about 15 to 20 by bus. Its just down the road. I know because i do this journey all the time.
Not sure why you think staying in morton rather than lusk would make a long term move to swords less likely.

The fact is that the stadium in swords has been put on hold, maybe indefinitely who knows. So if a new small stadium with facilities such as the lusk project comes along i think you have to take it. I think our fans would much prefer a new stadium than to stay in Morton for god knows how long.
It would also help in attracting fans from the lusk, Rush, Skerries, Loughshinny and Balbriggan areas which would amount to approximately 40 to 50 thousand of a catchment area. Not to mention Donabate and malahide who are only a 5 and 10 minute train journey away. Include all that plus Swords who are 10 mins away.

(and we will still get feck all of a crowd:D)

Swords is where we should be, im not denying that. But if its a choice between Morton or the lusk project untill swords is availible, then im choosing Lusk.

holidaysong
07/01/2009, 2:10 AM
Not trying to be argumentative holiday but its not easier to hop on a bus to santry than heading to lusk. Its about the same with less traffic.
It would take about 10 mins (at most) from swords by car and about 15 to 20 by bus. Its just down the road. I know because i do this journey all the time.
Not sure why you think staying in morton rather than lusk would make a long term move to swords less likely.

I didn't know there were regular bus services between Swords and Lusk. A good friend of mine lives in Lusk and on a few occasions when I've been out visiting I can remember waiting up to 40 minutes for a number 33 to go to Swords. However, I'm sure Dublin Bus could increase their services between both locations on match nights though..

My worry with moving to Lusk would be that Fingal Co. Co. will find it hard to justify a new ground in Swords if they are already set up in Lusk. It was in this respect that maybe it would be better to hold out for the ground in Swords as once the ground in Lusk is built it wouldn't make much sense to go building another one in Swords.

However, being positioned along the DART line maybe Lusk could even prove a better location than Swords as it could draw in fans by train from Balbriggan (especially if Drogheda United go under), Donabate and Malahide in a way that Swords couldn't.

Sporting Man
07/01/2009, 9:16 AM
Thanks for the replys it makes good reading, just to clear up a few things Fingal Co Co do not put any money into the running of the club what so ever there intrest in the club is to provide the best facilities for the fingal aera,they payed for the new lights and sound system in Morton along with some badly needed paint,not just for Sporting but for the sports council of Ireland and as long as they have first choice on dates there, it is best we find a home of our own ASAP.The lusl project is funded by the Co. Co and as you said it will be for the use of all sports schools and Clubs of Fingal, with the partnership of the NDSL the ground work for the Acadmey and Youths is already there with a number of trials held over the break attened by Liam and John in many Juinor Clubs in the county and some good under 16s 17s and 18s talent coming trought. Sporting Fingal have made it clear to all juinor clubs they would sooner support these clubs and will not start up a Sporting Fingal Schoolboy Teams.
i dont know if you heard but the Special Olimpic soccer team will be another sporting and council project and will wear the sporting colours.
Lusk will be ready in two years (not in time for us to play our first game in the Prem ) it will be owned be Fingal Co Co and the Swords Project will be a soccer grounds home to Sporting the plan was to have the Luas stop at the ground on match days. The new squad will be out soon and they plan to travel to Espanols new ground for pre season with talks of them coming here for a pre season frindly.

higgins
07/01/2009, 10:50 AM
just to clear up a few things Fingal Co Co do not put any money into the running of the club what so ever there intrest in the club is to provide the best facilities for the fingal aera,they payed for the new lights and sound system in Morton along with some badly needed paint

:confused:

So they are putting in money ?

Would they pay for sound and lighting and paint for Tolka Park :)

Lamper.sffc
07/01/2009, 5:06 PM
Lets not start this please.

He said the running of the club. The council merely invested in morton. The sound system paint and Lights will be there after sporting have left. So who ever uses morton after this will have the use of these aswell.

Sporting Man
08/01/2009, 8:34 AM
Thanks Lamper,Morton is used over 12 times a year for track and field meetings they have over 300 kids training every Tusday and Thursday and at the moment Drumbs play there home games on a Friday night and before anyone replys they Pay well for this witch i would think the money would be split between both clubs.

drummerboy
08/01/2009, 9:09 AM
“Sporting” Fingal have done everything they can to stop Drums using the facility they have been using for the last 15 years. They are still hoping to get rid of Drumcondra from Morton, this despite the face they are only supposed to be tenant themselves. The use of the word Sporting in their name always amuses me. In the past Drums shared the facility with both Shamrock Rovers and Dublin City, but the power that be in SF want the place all to themselves.

higgins
08/01/2009, 9:50 PM
oh when you move out it will be for someone else that they put in lights sound and paint ? Why didn't they do this before you got there then ? It's been a football stadium for years now.

Also when you move out it will be to a ground that was paid for by Fingal , yes ???

Give me a break!!

TheFingallian
08/01/2009, 10:22 PM
Is that Espanyol you were talking about there? That would be some sight to see.

Lamper.sffc
08/01/2009, 11:44 PM
oh when you move out it will be for someone else that they put in lights sound and paint ? Why didn't they do this before you got there then ? It's been a football stadium for years now.

Also when you move out it will be to a ground that was paid for by Fingal , yes ???

Give me a break!!

Not what i said. :rolleyes:

I will comment on you no more. Tired off wummers. A little article that explains you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A31214062

Sporting Man
09/01/2009, 8:23 AM
Is that Espanyol you were talking about there? That would be some sight to see.

Yes:):D

GalwayRed
09/01/2009, 11:49 PM
The new squad will be out soon and they plan to travel to Espanols new ground for pre season with talks of them coming here for a pre season frindly.
Any news on new players youre hoping to bring in?
This is Espanyols pre-season youre reffering to yeah? Because i cant imagine they would be willing to play Fingal while their season is still in full flow. Fair play if you do get a friendly against them during the summer. Might get a few more people intersted with a match like that like that.

Lamper.sffc
10/01/2009, 1:52 AM
Fair play for being the first shels fan to give fingal a compliment of sorts.
We should have a rivalry but it doesnt mean we cant wish each other well.

Sporting Man
12/01/2009, 10:11 AM
Any news on new players youre hoping to bring in?
This is Espanyols pre-season youre reffering to yeah? Because i cant imagine they would be willing to play Fingal while their season is still in full flow. Fair play if you do get a friendly against them during the summer. Might get a few more people intersted with a match like that like that.

Darren has joined on lone and so far Eamon Zayed Gary O neill,Shaun Willams and Ross Gaynor are all in with Three or four more announced by the end of the week just need to tidy up a few bits before signing no major problems.

The link with Espanyol comes from Swords been twined with El Prat a Town just outside Bacelona Like Sporting Espanyol are Building a new Home in El Prat the new Stadium will be ready for next season and looks great. the plan would be for the team to go over for a training camp and the twining Committee to meet with the powers in Espanyol and try to come to some arrangment.

Buller
12/01/2009, 11:40 AM
Darren has joined on lone and so far Eamon Zayed Gary O neill,Shaun Willams and Ross Gaynor are all in with Three or four more announced by the end of the week just need to tidy up a few bits before signing no major problems.

Eamon Zayed? Gary O'Neill? We didn't offer Gary O'Neill enough so he chose you's...
But where are you getting all this money from? Your backers will fund the club for another 4 years is it? They would be better off investing in a stadium before increasing your wage bill ala Dublin City FC...
Your new stadium has to be in Swords if it ever gets built - massive potential there.

GalwayRed
12/01/2009, 4:21 PM

The link with Espanyol comes from Swords been twined with El Prat a Town just outside Bacelona Like Sporting Espanyol are Building a new Home in El Prat the new Stadium will be ready for next season and looks great. the plan would be for the team to go over for a training camp and the twining Committee to meet with the powers in Espanyol and try to come to some arrangment.
Thanks for the reply. Im from Swords but hadnt realised it was twined with any spanish towns. Learn something new every day I guess. Good luck with the plan anyway. Also I agree with Buller, if possible your new ground ideally should be in Swords. Its the biggist potential for a fanbase I would think.

Lamper.sffc
15/01/2009, 6:39 PM
Also I agree with Buller, if possible your new ground ideally should be in Swords. Its the biggist potential for a fanbase I would think.

Agree with you. The fact is the swords stadium has been put on hold unfortunately. The lusk project is not a bad alternative until the swords one is back on track.

higgins
15/01/2009, 8:40 PM
I was one of the few who thought your new football club might just work. Go back and check if you don't believe that :)

BUT

Your move to Lusk will kill the club.
I thought if you stuck around in Santry for too long you'd die but at least the transport links to Santry are good. You'll be dead and buried in Lusk within two years I predict.

Your only way to get new fans was through Swords and buying initial success.

You know Lusk is in the middle of nowhere.. Don't fool yourself that people will get the train to Lusk !! I'm not even sure trians run late enough on a Friday night to bring people home. I live in Donabate and last train to town used to be about 8 or 9 in the evening.

You won't survive if you move to Lusk and you know it.

If clubs like Shamrock Rovers are only getting crowds in the hundreds in the lower regions of the Premier you know Lusk is a disaster waiting to happen. You may have initial success with the funds going in but when you see your side promoted and struggling near the foot of the Premier Division you'll know exactly what support you have.

Lamper.sffc
16/01/2009, 1:28 AM
I was one of the few who thought your new football club might just work. Go back and check if you don't believe that :)

BUT

Your move to Lusk will kill the club.
I thought if you stuck around in Santry for too long you'd die but at least the transport links to Santry are good. You'll be dead and buried in Lusk within two years I predict.

Your only way to get new fans was through Swords and buying initial success.

You know Lusk is in the middle of nowhere.. Don't fool yourself that people will get the train to Lusk !! I'm not even sure trians run late enough on a Friday night to bring people home. I live in Donabate and last train to town used to be about 8 or 9 in the evening.

You won't survive if you move to Lusk and you know it.

If clubs like Shamrock Rovers are only getting crowds in the hundreds in the lower regions of the Premier you know Lusk is a disaster waiting to happen. You may have initial success with the funds going in but when you see your side promoted and struggling near the foot of the Premier Division you'll know exactly what support you have.

Fair enough.
Ill still stick to my point earlier, If its a choice between santry and Lusk, I pick lusk. As i said the swords stadium is on hold, nothing we can do about that. If the club is going to try and create some kind of identity, then that identity will be better created away from morton. Its too close to the Dublin city clubs. Swords is the best option no doubt and hopefully that will become a reality but im quite happy to wait for that reality in lusk.

The last train is not 8 or 9 and nobody is fooling themselves. I know the realities and im not saying anything will work for certain but im quite happy for my club to try (fail or not). Im quite tired of all the talk about how it wont work and you may all be right but i for one choose to believe in what my club is doing (rightly or wrongly) because i refuse to become like some of you. Give me a few years:)

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp