PDA

View Full Version : Possible new signings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Martinho II
02/01/2009, 6:37 PM
just heard from one of the athlone lads that colm jinks and jason mccartney are definitely signing for us from athlone town. jinks was athlones player of the year and plays centre midfield. mccartney plays on the wing.

jinks won player of the year two years running. athlone fans will they be possible good signings for us?? eh ash;):p

Tallanted
02/01/2009, 7:07 PM
Damien rushe won athlone player of the year before he signed for us too, doesnt say much for him

sorbothegreek
03/01/2009, 11:24 AM
New signings unvailed:

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=31662819-6cce-480b-8c26-34c657aa14dc

Pauro 76
03/01/2009, 12:18 PM
In our 'brand new' Town kit for the season too.

Martinho II
03/01/2009, 6:52 PM
good signings especially colm jinks. but why did they not use last seasons kit for this launch?? this is the first time that they have pictures of town players signing for the town on the website. .suppose its a good start except for the jersey...:(

http://www.athlonetownfc.ie/index.php?page_id=94

JASON MCCARTNEY
Left Wing, Striker
Date / Place of Birth: 13 June 1987 (Sligo)

Signed from Monaghan United this season and despite his young age carries a wealth of LOI experience with him. He has also played for Limerick FC and Sligo Rovers. Prior to this season he has made 48 league appearances and scored 4 goals
COLM JINKS
Midfield
Date of birth: 12th June 1982
Place of brith: Sligo
Former Clubs: Sligo Rovers
Nickname: Jinksy

Colm was signed midway through last season from Sligo Rovers where he spent his entire career. He has made over 30 League of Ireland appearances to date and looks set to become an Athlone Town legend with his never say die attitide in games

Tallanted
03/01/2009, 7:18 PM
Good signings?? Based on what exactly, 2 players from a team who finished below us, look at the sh1t we signed off them last season....

sligoman
03/01/2009, 7:25 PM
McCartney was good enough for us in the First Division. Bit light but pacey enough. Never rated Jinks but he was Athlone's POTY so must have done something worthwhile.

Black and White
03/01/2009, 7:33 PM
McCarthney was awful in our game against Athlone in which we won 7-nil at the end of the season!He was wearing yellow boots and pussed and sulked the whole game and kicked out twice at Paul Crowley and Jamie Duffy off the ball...fairly hot headed but also spent most of the game on the ground!
Im almost sure it was McCarthney anyways...if not then im talking about a completely different player from that game but he was announced as McCarthney over the intercom cause i have it marked in me programme from that night!

atfconline
03/01/2009, 8:02 PM
McCarthney was awful in our game against Athlone in which we won 7-nil at the end of the season!He was wearing yellow boots and pussed and sulked the whole game and kicked out twice at Paul Crowley and Jamie Duffy off the ball...fairly hot headed but also spent most of the game on the ground!
Im almost sure it was McCarthney anyways...if not then im talking about a completely different player from that game but he was announced as McCarthney over the intercom cause i have it marked in me programme from that night!

No, that was Carmine Russo.

Black and White
03/01/2009, 8:31 PM
My Bad!!

seand60
05/01/2009, 2:45 PM
Going nowhere fast with those two signings.
Jinks gives 100% but that only makes up for his shortcomings. Enthuastic type but little more than a good junior league player. Player of the year in a bad Athlone side counts for nothing!
McCartney was in and out of form in the Athlone team of 2008. Got an extended run at the start and finish of the campaign. Tricky winger but after getting by his marker(sometimes), hadnt a clue what to do next. Definitely not a match winner.
The players signed from Athlone last year were hardly a major success. Any chance ye could take a few more of our "stars" off us?

randomcomment
05/01/2009, 3:55 PM
I heard from a source close to Alan Gough that young former Dundalk goalkeeper Donal Greene is to join Longford for their pre-season training with a view to a permanent deal.

I don't know a lot about him other than he spent some time in England:confused:

Black and White
05/01/2009, 5:22 PM
I heard from a source close to Alan Gough that young former Dundalk goalkeeper Donal Greene is to join Longford for their pre-season training with a view to a permanent deal.

I don't know a lot about him other than he spent some time in England:confused:

Donal Greene never played in England...Jim Gannon gave him a trial with Stockport when he first took over there!He was sacked by Dundalk for undisclosed reasons but it was widespread that Doolin gave him a trial at Drogheda and he played in a reserve game behind Gills back!

Martinho II
05/01/2009, 7:05 PM
as on another thread trevor gethins older brother of conor of finn harps fame is apparently signing for the club. hes 26 and wouldnt have a lot of first team experience... whatever next ??

Dunny
06/01/2009, 11:04 AM
Donal Greene never played in England...Jim Gannon gave him a trial with Stockport when he first took over there!He was sacked by Dundalk for undisclosed reasons but it was widespread that Doolin gave him a trial at Drogheda and he played in a reserve game behind Gills back!

He wasnt sacked he left.

hollocaine
06/01/2009, 4:45 PM
I'm fairly certain Trevor Gethins was with us briefly back in about 2002. He was a soldier based in Longford and trained with the team for a while back then. He may have been on the under-21 team that beat Mervue in that cup final in Flancare. I could be wrong but the name does sound familiar.

Martinho II
06/01/2009, 7:20 PM
I'm fairly certain Trevor Gethins was with us briefly back in about 2002. He was a soldier based in Longford and trained with the team for a while back then. He may have been on the under-21 team that beat Mervue in that cup final in Flancare. I could be wrong but the name does sound familiar.

thats an interesting comment looks like i will have to check the video i have of that game to see if it is true..

RockofGibraltar
06/01/2009, 11:26 PM

yea i remember that was going to say it but was sure it was a different fella! he played in the scottish first or second division before i think with ross county if i remember correctly..

prince20
07/01/2009, 8:15 AM
yea i remember that was going to say it but was sure it was a different fella! he played in the scottish first or second division before i think with ross county if i remember correctly..

Conor gethins played with ross county.
Trevor did play with Longford

Massop 10
08/01/2009, 11:54 AM
It is a sad day if Trevor Gethins can play for the town again !!!!!! I played against him a few times and his only way of playing was kick, kick and kick. I still have the scars to prove it. Maybe i should actualy look for a release and go to ! There is players 100 times better than him playing in the CCFL at the moment.

Macy
08/01/2009, 1:02 PM
I played against him a few times and his only way of playing was kick, kick and kick.
Maybe he just didn't like you.

Ash
08/01/2009, 2:31 PM
Derek Glynn signing for ye from Galway, or so I'm told!

RonnieB
08/01/2009, 2:34 PM
I heard mumblings about that alright. Would be a great signing for us if true.

Mr Maroon
08/01/2009, 4:33 PM
It's true
http://ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=c9b868d5-b365-4b46-9123-5ad79831c4dc

Rovers1
08/01/2009, 5:01 PM
Is Daire Doyle the only Town player left over from last year, or do i rememer incorrectly..?

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 5:08 PM
Is Daire Doyle the only Town player left over from last year, or do i rememer incorrectly..?

you are sort of incorrect there rovers1. andy bermingham is the only player under contract from last season.
that derek glynn signing is the best of the three made so far. also heard from one of the sligo lads that gary curran from sligo rovers is coming to us too.He is from Tubbercurry a centre midfielder and a classy footballer.

Rocky77
08/01/2009, 5:13 PM
you are sort of incorrect there rovers1. andy bermingham is the only player under contract from last season.
that derek glynn signing is the best of the three made so far. also heard from one of the sligo lads that gary curran from sligo rovers is coming to us too.He is from Tubbercurry a centre midfielder and a classy footballer.

Steady...

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 5:23 PM
Steady...

thats what one of the sligo lads said to me about him. he said that he would be a big loss to rovers

sligoman
08/01/2009, 5:34 PM
Glynn is a huge signing for ye, should be a great player in the first division.

Cabs88
08/01/2009, 5:50 PM
Glynn is a very good signing, and i rated him higher than lower first division so to have him is a great addition. Cant say i would rate the athlone lads too highly, but then again, we're never gonna set the division alight.
I'd like to think we could hold on to some of last years players, I felt Hardy and Frawley were decent, Gallagher clearly the stand out player. Goughie did alrite, and i think Evan Connolly could be one to look out for with some games

Fr Damo
08/01/2009, 6:00 PM
And who do these guys play for? Don't want to speak too much about T Gethins except to say would get into any CCFL team without difficulty, hense he is looking at the next stex rung up??? Heard he could have joined Limerick 37 in 05 but was about to start an Officiers course in the Army. open to correction about the army but certain about Limerick as it was then.

howsyourtouch
08/01/2009, 6:17 PM
evan connolly hasnt been a longford player for the last 6 months,since summer,he is with ucd since then,a scholarship is what he is on...playin in there under 20 team,scorin lots too...big loss,but what do you expect when he was barely gettin expenses for travelling up from mayo..like he would go weeks without gettin a cent...

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 6:24 PM
Glynn is a very good signing, and i rated him higher than lower first division so to have him is a great addition. Cant say i would rate the athlone lads too highly, but then again, we're never gonna set the division alight.
I'd like to think we could hold on to some of last years players, I felt Hardy and Frawley were decent, Gallagher clearly the stand out player. Goughie did alrite, and i think Evan Connolly could be one to look out for with some games

is there not talk that frawleys goin to galway???

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 7:03 PM
evan connolly hasnt been a longford player for the last 6 months,since summer,he is with ucd since then,a scholarship is what he is on...playin in there under 20 team,scorin lots too...big loss,but what do you expect when he was barely gettin expenses for travelling up from mayo..like he would go weeks without gettin a cent...

i was on ucds forum and i saw that evan connolly got a scholarship! i was wondering what had happened to him? it was kept very hush hush.

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 7:10 PM
Glynn is a huge signing for ye, should be a great player in the first division.

was just chattin to one of the galway crew just now. does anyone remember the hattrick glynn scored for galway against us two years ago in flancare???:o

RonnieB
08/01/2009, 7:23 PM
Wasnt it a midweek 7pm kickoff on a glorious sunny evening infront of feck all?

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 7:35 PM
Wasnt it a midweek 7pm kickoff on a glorious sunny evening infront of feck all?

yep that sounds right ronnieb!

the 12 th man
08/01/2009, 7:48 PM
Will Adrian Murphy be playing for Town this year?

howsyourtouch
08/01/2009, 8:22 PM
wasnt really that hush hush,he let everyone know he wanted to go and do the scholarship,fair play to him doh,one for the future maybe,his younger brother is still with derby county aswell..

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 8:38 PM
Will Adrian Murphy be playing for Town this year?

i very much doubt it 12th man where did you disappear to ??:p

Martinho II
08/01/2009, 8:39 PM
wasnt really that hush hush,he let everyone know he wanted to go and do the scholarship,fair play to him doh,one for the future maybe,his younger brother is still with derby county aswell..

whos his younger brother howsyourtouch??

Longfordian
08/01/2009, 8:57 PM
At least we're getting started on the squad building fairly quickly. Glynn could be a great signing for our level, I'm surpised he hasn't been kept by Galway. Don't know anything much about Curran but I seem to recall some of the Sligo lads praising him on their forum so if he signs he may be quite useful. That's the type of player we shoud be looking at anyhow, younger players who are hungry to prove themselves. They're generally cheaper too which is of course crucial. Evan Connolly didn't really look ready for first team football in the few runs he got last year but best of luck to him in UCD, dead right to take the scholarship.

howsyourtouch
08/01/2009, 9:12 PM
cant remember his brothers name off hand but it does be in the star ever monday on the "irish players abroad" at the back of teh football pullout...he is in the derby youth team,in his second season over there...

Longfordian
08/01/2009, 9:25 PM
Ryan Connolly rings a bell? Think it's something like that.

Rovers1
08/01/2009, 10:22 PM
thats what one of the sligo lads said to me about him. he said that he would be a big loss to rovers

wouldnt say he'd be a big loss to us. He's been with us for about 4 years now, and hasnt cemented his place, he had one very good game last year V Harps, apart from that hes done nothing special. Wouldnt miss him too much if he left. Good 1st Div player though.

sligoman
08/01/2009, 10:24 PM
Marty, ignore Rovers1's opinions on Gary Curran and Brian Cash...he has a gripe with them for some reason so his view is tainted;).

Curran's a good player and I hope he doesn't go to ye, unless it's a loan deal.

Rovers1
08/01/2009, 10:29 PM
Marty, ignore Rovers1's opinions on Gary Curran and Brian Cash...he has a gripe with them for some reason so his view is tainted;).

no, no "gripe"... just think theyre not good enough for Rovers. Faz on the other hand..too good for us ;):p

Redkenrover
08/01/2009, 11:36 PM
Ryan Connolly rings a bell? Think it's something like that.
Spot on. He is just about to start his second year at the academy. Even though he only officially started last July. Has started about 13 of the 16 games they have played this season, the only first year scholar to start that many games. He has also been a regular in Rep of Ireland underage teams in recent years.

Longfordian
09/01/2009, 1:27 PM
Gary Curran has signed. Confirmed on www.ltfc.ie.

Martinho II
09/01/2009, 7:13 PM
the signings just get better and better. roll on the next new signing..:p looked up an old town program against mervue utd jan 03 and trevor gethins was part of the town squad..:eek:

so howsyourtouch your memory is quite impressive...;)