PDA

View Full Version : Liam Kearney....

Campbell
12/11/2003, 10:26 AM
Hi, i'm a Forest fan and was wondering how Liam was doing at your club, he had a lot of potential at Forest, but was always a little under-weight, that was the reason for his depature, he played at Reserve level and below, but he seemed to struggle to make the step-up, but anyhow, you have a great talent on your hands!

Is he fairing ok at Cork?

Regards,

Campbell

BOF
12/11/2003, 10:48 AM
Afrer a bright start and 1 good goal he has faded away and has been very poor in the last few games. He seems too small and light weight to me and is easily disposessed and physically pushed aside.

Also watching him play with Billy Woods behind him at left full it seems to me
there is no love lost between the two of them and they certainly arent playing as a unit up and down the left hand side.

brendan

Bigballs
12/11/2003, 11:07 AM
Too small

tiktok
12/11/2003, 11:13 AM
He is small, but he finds space very well, he's got great close control, strikes/passes and crosses well, pacey too with a few tricks up his sleeve. He started very well with us, scored one cracker, and has played well up until the last three games where he's started to look tired and he has been muscled off the ball a little too easily.
some City fans being the fickle lot they are immediately start jumping on his (and every other young players) back now that we're going through a bad spell, despite the fact i've never seen him give less than his all in a city shirt.

I still reckon he's got great potential, he's going to the U20 WC in november and he'll do the club proud there. I see him playing an important role in any success city have next year.

patsh
12/11/2003, 12:27 PM
Well he has been dire in the last few games, but I think he has a lot of talent and skill. His size can be both an advantage/disadvantage, but I think if he could build up some upper body strength, he would improve immensely.
I hope he stays with us for a few seasons, because if we get hot, dry summers, I reckon his skill will make up for lack of stature.

SÓC
12/11/2003, 1:33 PM
Kearney is an excellent excellent player. He's playing his first ever season of first team football. He's come to a different league with different style of play and different condition but still been very impressive. Ok he has been in a patch of bad form lately but what a player he is when he is on form.

The only thing I'd say is he needs to lern how to earn more frees. Duff is excellent at this, he'll never dive but can make the most of illegal contact.

pete
12/11/2003, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Kearney is an excellent excellent player. He's playing his first ever season of first team football. He's come to a different league with different style of play and different condition but still been very impressive. Ok he has been in a patch of bad form lately but what a player he is when he is on form.

I agree. I'd prefer a skillful small player than a strong one that can't pass or control the ball.

I don't think being small is a big issue cos Kearney can get stronger & with his skill should help him improve.

I've been reasonably impressed by the way he hit the ground running with a new team & style of play.

City have few enough skillfull attacking players so hes a welcome addition.

Ozymandias
12/11/2003, 3:59 PM
Lookat Casey he is a Big lump of S**T.....so size isn't a problem...kearney has the ability to do something out of the ordinary for us...probably see the best of him next year

Éanna
12/11/2003, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
He is small, but he finds space very well, he's got great close control, strikes/passes and crosses well, pacey too with a few tricks up his sleeve. He started very well with us, scored one cracker, and has played well up until the last three games where he's started to look tired and he has been muscled off the ball a little too easily.
some City fans being the fickle lot they are immediately start jumping on his (and every other young players) back now that we're going through a bad spell, despite the fact i've never seen him give less than his all in a city shirt.

I still reckon he's got great potential, he's going to the U20 WC in november and he'll do the club proud there. I see him playing an important role in any success city have next year.
spot on there. he's been a good signing and will imrpove with time.he has the makings of an excellent player

Druss
12/11/2003, 4:33 PM
Seems to me that there is a vocal minority of fans who can't stand any player whose first instinct isn't to hoof the ball downfield. Like the ****s who get their kicks out of having a go at George O'Callaghan. Doyle and Kearney seem to get the same treatment.
How many games has Liam played for Cork? As soon as he was getting a game of any sort he was staight back into the Irish set up as well. It shows the respect he commands at that level.
Give him a chance.

pete
12/11/2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by Druss
Seems to me that there is a vocal minority of fans who can't stand any player whose first instinct isn't to hoof the ball downfield.

Definitely correct there. Some people criticise players if they contorl the ball & the will also criticise when not getting the ball forward quickely.

Made his debut as sub on Sept 19 (scored nice volleyed goal) & think probably started all 13 games since scoring 1 more goal.

Kearney is possibly the smallest senior player i've seen in the eL & definitely for City.

Storysham
12/11/2003, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by BOF

Also watching him play with Billy Woods behind him at left full it seems to me
there is no love lost between the two of them and they certainly arent playing as a unit up and down the left hand side.

brendan

Noticed that too, woods seems to ignore him unless he has no other option. Hes ****ing right though.

BOF
12/11/2003, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Druss
Seems to me that there is a vocal minority of fans who can't stand any player whose first instinct isn't to hoof the ball downfield.

Does that mean the players are above comment. Kearney has played 13 games for City and has been subbed in quite a lot of them. Yes he runs very fast, yes he can take the physical stuff dished out to him, yes he can pass the ball.

But the parts dont add up and in his last few games he has been awful. Casey was equally as effective as Kearney. You can take that how you like----just as good or just as bad.

brendan

Hitman
13/11/2003, 8:54 AM
Originally posted by pete

Kearney is possibly the smallest senior player i've seen in the eL & definitely for City.

I think he was slightly taller than Wes Houlihan when they were marking each other.

patsh
13/11/2003, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
Can someone take the pills and booze off patsh, they don't mix...:D ;)
I presume there is a point in there somewhere?:confused: