PDA

View Full Version : SPL set for Irish influx

celticV3
01/01/2009, 8:43 PM
How do people feel about this?

More Irish-based players will move to Scotland as football comes to terms with the credit crunch, according to a top football agent.

Northern Ireland's Gerry Carlile said Derry City winger Niall McGinn's move to Celtic was a sign of things to come.

"I'd be very surprised if all the SPL clubs didn't dip their toe in to the Irish market," Carlile said.

"Clubs are looking for a bargain and they know they can pick up good players relatively cheap in Ireland."

Scottish Premier League strugglers Motherwell are tracking Linfield goalkeeper Alan Mannus, who is available on a free transfer when his contract expires at the end of the season.

And First Division outfit St Johnstone benefitted this week from the financial problems afflicting the Eircom Premier League by picking up central defender Graham Gartland after he left Drogheda United under freedom of contract.

Carlile, who represents a number of Northern Ireland internationals, including McGinn, said a growing number of Scottish clubs were casting covetous eyes towards the Irish leagues.

I would be surprised if other Irish players do not make the journey over, starting in January

Football agent Gerry Carlile

"I have spoken to several SPL managers and they know that they will get decent players who have played at a decent level," he said.

"They have a good work ethic and they can settle in easily enough.

"If you look through the SPL, it might surprise you just how many Irish players are already playing at the moment.

"We know Rangers have Steven Davis and Kyle Lafferty, who cost big money from English clubs.

"But Niall has joined Paddy McCourt at Celtic, Kilmarnock have also brought Conor Sammon over from Derry City and Aberdeen have Sammy Stewart, who is only 17 but is a great talent.

Carlile added: "Hamilton have David Elebert, who is a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international.

"Warren Feeney, Willo Flood, Sean Dillon and Jon Daly are at Dundee United, Stephen Craigan is at Motherwell and Dean Shiels is at Hibs.

"I would be surprised if other Irish players do not make the journey over, starting in January.

"The standard of football has improved in both leagues over here, north and south, there is no doubt about it."

Carlile added that McGinn's move to Celtic would inspire other Irish-based players to follow him to Scottish football.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7806490.stm

Red&White Rover
01/01/2009, 8:48 PM
To follow him to a league of similar standard bar about 3 teams? Delusion.

Dodge
01/01/2009, 8:55 PM

Nothing delusional about it at all. Players move for money. If they think they'll gte more playing for Motherwell or Kilmarnock, good luck to them

MariborKev
01/01/2009, 9:02 PM
Carlile a "top football agent"?

That gets my first ROFL of 09.

Poor Student
01/01/2009, 9:07 PM

What's the standard of the LOI when you subtract our top three teams? SPL has better football, bigger money and better stadia.

Boh_So_Good
01/01/2009, 10:23 PM
Hardly surprising really. Means nothing in any real terms. Just slow news day stuff.

gustavo
01/01/2009, 10:24 PM
The ones that went over 2 years ago hardly set the world alight

Hibs4Ever
02/01/2009, 7:28 AM
What's the standard of the LOI when you subtract our top three teams? SPL has better football, bigger money and better stadia.

Bigger money and better stadium definitely. Better football.....you don't watch much SPL do you ;)

Plastic Paddy
02/01/2009, 7:40 AM

Delusional? Those who thought Gartland was bound for Ibrox would fit into that category. Says it all that he's happy to sign for a SFL club, no?

:ball: PP

dortie
02/01/2009, 10:01 AM
You can hardly blame a player for going to another club if they offer him £5,000 a week, thats what i hear McGinn is getting now.

seanfhear
02/01/2009, 2:04 PM
You can hardly blame a player for going to another club if they offer him £5,000 a week, thats what i hear McGinn is getting now.
Good luck to the lad but he should have decared for Ireland though.

MariborKev
02/01/2009, 2:15 PM
Why should he?

Did the FAI watch him? Did Givens or any of those involved with the international setup watch him or approach him?

The IFA have been actively watching him and encouraging him for a while. He probably only came onto the FAI radar when he moved. Very sad, but true.

dcfcsteve
02/01/2009, 3:22 PM

Echoes of the 'modern day slavery' in football that Blatter mentioned ?

The lad should have declared for whoever he wanted, as he does have a choice, you know. And as Maribor mentioned - the FAI didn't even know he existed until about a month ago.

pete
02/01/2009, 4:20 PM
Players will get paid in the SPL something that cannot be guaranteed in the LOI & its not much of a step up for most players.

HarpoJoyce
02/01/2009, 4:33 PM
........ He probably only came onto the FAI radar when he moved. Very sad, but true.

........ And as Maribor mentioned - the FAI didn't even know he existed until about a month ago.

Was he not registered while at DCFC? That's very bad.

the-blue-harp
02/01/2009, 5:27 PM
it makes perfect sense!

dcfcsteve
02/01/2009, 7:47 PM
Was he not registered while at DCFC? That's very bad.

You know what we both meant, ya muppet.....

:)

dortie
03/01/2009, 11:12 AM

I agree, but thats up to McGinn. Personally i wouldnt play for N Ireland the matter how much i wanted to get noticed as a footballer, but thats my politics and beliefs. Standing to GSTQ and recognising N Ireland as a seperate statelet is a serious contradiction for any Nationalist.

Not Brazil
03/01/2009, 11:35 AM
Personally i wouldnt play for N Ireland the matter how much i wanted to get noticed as a footballer, but thats my politics and beliefs. Standing to GSTQ and recognising N Ireland as a seperate statelet is a serious contradiction for any Nationalist.

I suspect that playing football to the best of his ability (which is his job) is much more important to Niall McGinn than political beliefs.

A face
03/01/2009, 12:06 PM
Moderation: Dortie and Not Brazil, chill out there lads. Leave at that now will ye.

BohDiddley
03/01/2009, 2:31 PM
Gosh A Face, it's not as it they're threatening to break anyone's legs. :p

dortie
03/01/2009, 3:55 PM
Moderation: Dortie and Not Brazil, chill out there lads. Leave at that now will ye.

Never intended or indeed want to start a debate over Nationality and internationals with a Linfield fan.

McGinn chose to play for N Ireland, thats his decision as i stated, back on topic, i outlined what might cause him problems when playing for Celtic and N Ireland. Thats if he makes the senior team.

Anyway, £5,000 a week, Derry to Celtic, there was no option.

EalingGreen
03/01/2009, 5:26 PM
Whilst I can just about let it pass when people on this site refer to the "Ireland" [sic] football team in isolation, it is ignorant and/or insulting when used in direct contrast to the the Northern Ireland team.

How hard is it for you to get into your head that there are two international football teams on the island, neither of which is called "Ireland"? The official authority on this matter is FIFA, and they have declared that the FAI's team is called "Republic of Ireland" (or "ROI" for short).

P.S. I appreciate that this post might get me banned, or this thread closed; so be it.

Not Brazil
03/01/2009, 5:27 PM

I wasn't feeling heated A Face - I simply believe that professional footballers are, in the main, profesional footballers first and foremost.

I agree with dortie - it's an opportunity for the young lad to earn a decent bit of money, and possibly make a real name for himself. It certainly must be a big thrill for him to have joined a club of the size and stature of Celtic.

He made a bright debut for Northern Ireland, and, has every chance of becoming a regular feature in the international side, particularly as Keith Gillespie's days are numbered.

Maroon 7
03/01/2009, 5:46 PM

Well I think players should have the choice but if someone is able to shut out all the exterior stuff then that's their perogative and good luck to them. Some can and some can't.

McGinn obviously can so I think his decision should be respected.

A face
03/01/2009, 6:47 PM
Gosh A Face, it's not as it they're threatening to break anyone's legs. :p

Never intended or indeed want to start a debate over Nationality and internationals with a Linfield fan.

Sorry lads, i was just trying to prevent anything happening. All is good