PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Window

Pages : [1] 2 3

elroy
01/01/2009, 4:15 PM
Opens today I believe, interesting to see what Irish players will be on the move over the next few weeks.

This months four four two magazine has an interesting piece titled "100 players that your club should buy in the transfer window". They have the players divided under various categories. The following Irish players feature:

Amongst the ten "Football league risers" were Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt...no surprises there really. State that Reading will want at least £5m for Doyle whereas Hunt is likely to be a target of Sunderland (i think the article may have been written pre Keane's departure).

"Lower league stars" features Mark Yeates, Neil Warnock is rumoured to be interested in bringing the player to Palace.

Non league section included Lanre Oyebanjo who was described as a revelation since he joined Histon following his release from Brentford in the summer. Apparently attracting attention from many championship sides.

The only other Irish player to feature is Glenn Whelan under the "squad player" category. The article calls Whelan, Peter Reid with a Dublin accent or Lee Carsley with hair and refers to the fact that Trap has played him in every min of his six games in charge so far.

irishfan86
01/01/2009, 6:47 PM
Don't think the Whelan description is accurate at all. More of a "Matt Holland," average at everything type that you hardly notice but seems to be liked by managers.

gustavo
01/01/2009, 8:05 PM
The only other Irish player to feature is Glenn Whelan under the "squad player" category.

Keith Fahey was in it too , but he's already moved

elroy
01/01/2009, 8:57 PM
Keith Fahey was in it too , but he's already moved

Ya sorry meant to include him above. He was included under the "rest of the world" category.
Described as the most gifted player in Ireland. According to the piece was scouted by West Ham, Celtic, Reading, Sunderland and Hertha Berlin and of obviously B'ham, though there was no mention of B'ham or a move there.

Keith was given an overall rating of 7.1 in comparison to
Whelan 7.4
Hunt 7.4
Doyle 8.2

Stuttgart88
02/01/2009, 3:02 PM
Newcastle are lining up a £5m swoop for Sheffield United pair Stephen Quinn and Kyle Naughton. (Daily Star)

dr_peepee
02/01/2009, 4:00 PM
Eddie Nolan has signed for Preston on a 3.5 year deal

Razors left peg
02/01/2009, 5:30 PM
Joe Kinnear stated in a press conference today that he wants 5 new players minimum in this transfer window and that money wasn't a problem so it's not impossible he might pounce on Quinn.

They're also linked with Doyle, especially if Owen leaves which it looks like he might. Portsmouth as well could look to Doyle if Defoe leaves and Villa are again being linked with him.

hope he stays away from Pompy, sinking ship I think

LBrett91
02/01/2009, 10:30 PM
doyle will more than likely stay because he has four years left on his contract and it will take a lot more than 6 mil to get him. also, hunt is annoying a lot of people at reading with his behaviour and they are very willing to sell him even for 3 mil. finally, they are also bring in a irish international forward from the premiership. can not say to much because my source is very high up in reading and will kill me if i release too much info.

tetsujin1979
03/01/2009, 12:35 AM
doyle will more than likely stay because he has four years left on his contract and it will take a lot more than 6 mil to get him. also, hunt is annoying a lot of people at reading with his behaviour and they are very willing to sell him even for 3 mil. finally, they are also bring in a irish international forward from the premiership. can not say to much because my source is very high up in reading and will kill me if i release too much info.
That's one of Robbie Keane, David Connolly, Daryl Murphy, Caleb Folan, Anthony Stokes or Roy O'Donovan.
Keane isn't going anywhere
Connolly is injured, although he has a solid record at Championship level
O'Donovan is on loan until the end of the season
Stokes' loan deal with Sheffield United is about to expire, but I think Sbragia will take a look at him before selling him on.
Folan, or Murphy are the most likely IMO

Greenbod
03/01/2009, 1:57 AM
can not say to much because my source is very high up in reading and will kill me if i release too much info.

Why would your "source" give a toss what you post here?

irishultra
03/01/2009, 4:45 PM
not sure if its been mentioned but kieran 'not irish as such' westwood is apparently joining tottenham hotspur.

richieos
03/01/2009, 5:46 PM
where did the westwood rumour come from? he only joined coventry in the summer

Manc Irish Wolf
03/01/2009, 10:08 PM
not sure if its been mentioned but kieran 'not irish as such' westwood is apparently joining tottenham hotspur.

Heard that today also. Few mates are Cov fans and reckon that it was going around the ground that a deal had been agreed for £5 million. Apparently he's been their player of the season so far and could be a good shout for an immediate first team start at Spurs.

Couldn't give a monkeys how he qualifies, he looks like a good prospect.

third policeman
04/01/2009, 11:10 AM
That's one of Robbie Keane, David Connolly, Daryl Murphy, Caleb Folan, Anthony Stokes or Roy O'Donovan.
Keane isn't going anywhere
Connolly is injured, although he has a solid record at Championship level
O'Donovan is on loan until the end of the season
Stokes' loan deal with Sheffield United is about to expire, but I think Sbragia will take a look at him before selling him on.
Folan, or Murphy are the most likely IMO

If they are looking for a like for like replacement for a departing Hunt, Keith Treacy might be the "mystery forward."

O'Toole to Wolves and Ireland to Arsenal both being touted in the UK press today.

tetsujin1979
04/01/2009, 1:27 PM
Kilbane linked with a move to Hull in reports today. Would be a great move for him IMO

Colbert Report
04/01/2009, 6:37 PM
Yes it would. They need to forget about Europe and concentrate on getting as many low scoring draws as possible from here on out to stay up. Kilbane is the perfect defensive minded left winger.

tetsujin1979
05/01/2009, 9:18 AM
Darren O'Dea linked with Burnley: http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/sport/4013768.Burnley_look_to_loan_signings_as_window_op ens/

Den Perry
05/01/2009, 11:42 AM

In wat way is he annoying them? He certainly bloody annoys me...

Dodge
05/01/2009, 11:47 AM
Dave Mooney joined stockport on loan from Reading.

Freddie Fox
05/01/2009, 12:32 PM

That is enough information for everyone to know that its Murphy

Den Perry
05/01/2009, 1:13 PM
you're in trouble now Brett...big mouth

OwlsFan
08/01/2009, 2:07 PM
Linked with move to Hull City:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1518/hull-city/2009/01/04/1040653/kevin-kilbane-set-for-move-to-hull-city

eirebhoy
08/01/2009, 6:54 PM
Phil Brown: “I am interested in Kevin, he has been a great part of Wigan’s success story and played Premier League football for a number of years.

“He can play left-back, left-hand side of midfield or left wing but the figures that are being bandied around are too expensive, in my opinion, for a lad at the age he is at.”

shakermaker1982
09/01/2009, 7:00 AM
Hopefully Wigan lower their price. We need as many players getting first team football at the top level as possible.

third policeman
09/01/2009, 9:46 AM
O'Toole to Wolves still being touted in UK press today. Assuming Wolves will be promoted this would be a great move for him. Also reports suggesting that Reading will buy Jay Tabb as a like-for-like replacement for Hunt. Tabb is a clever player and generally underated, very much in the mould of Ray Houghton.

Closed Account
09/01/2009, 11:03 AM
Roy O'Donovan on loan to Blackpool. Can make a debut Saturday.

Tenderloins
09/01/2009, 11:07 AM
Roy O'Donovan on loan to Blackpool. Can make a debut Saturday.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpool-football-club/Blackpool-sign-Sunderland-star.4860592.jp
Article on O'Donovans move.

Stuttgart88
09/01/2009, 12:47 PM
Tabb is a clever player and generally underated, very much in the mould of Ray Houghton.Lovely player alright, really talented. Absolutely tiny though.

Dr. Ogba
12/01/2009, 9:38 AM
mentioned in the bbc's gossip column today:

Fulham have entered the race to sign Watford midfielder John-Joe O'Toole, who has scored eight goals this season.

would be a great move for him if it materialised...

pineapple stu
13/01/2009, 10:17 AM
Yup, some random side playing in front of 8000 a week pushing for promotion to Division One with a former eL manager who has three former eL players in his squad. Daft move.

ifk101
13/01/2009, 10:22 AM
Good move for Dave Mooney. Jim Gannon knows what he can do so it's likely he'll get some first team playing time.

passinginterest
13/01/2009, 10:28 AM
Mooney started well for Reading reserves then picked up an injury. He's only coming back now. It's a perfect move for him. The problem with Mooney is he just doesn't look like a footballer. I saw him in one of his early games for Cork and couldn't believe that he'd ever score a goal, never mind finish top scorer. Once he settled and got his confidence he was phenomenal, whether he'll ever get a chance to do that at Reading I don't know, but I think Gannon will give him a fair go.

paul_oshea
13/01/2009, 10:32 AM
does anyone think ciaran might be trying to make a point?!

Dodge
13/01/2009, 10:37 AM
Merged with the trasfer window thread (in which it was already posted last week)

elroy
13/01/2009, 1:00 PM
I saw Mooney play against Derry earlier last year at the Brandywell when Cork won 3-2 and he impressed me an awful lot so am surprised it hasnt happened for him over there. Although the fact he was injured explains a lot.

In fairness, not the easiest to break into the Reading team, with Doyle, Hunt, Long and Lita all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Metrostars
14/01/2009, 6:28 PM
Phil Brown: “I am interested in Kevin, he has been a great part of Wigan’s success story and played Premier League football for a number of years.

“He can play left-back, left-hand side of midfield or left wing but the figures that are being bandied around are too expensive, in my opinion, for a lad at the age he is at.”

Looks like a done deal. From bbc website:

In other news from that game, Kevin Kilbane has agreed personal terms on a move to Hull from Wigan and is expected to start training with them tomorrow.
Good move for him, he hasnt been getting much playing time this year.

The Legend
14/01/2009, 7:28 PM
Kilbane and McShane in the same defense? :D hmnnnnn

irishfan86
14/01/2009, 7:40 PM

I heard an interview with Phil Brown, and he said that Kilbane would slot in at left back, and Ricketts would go to right-back (he's been filling in at left back but is a natural right-back).

This will mean that McShane will be moved to the centre or dropped. He did play in the centre last game because Zayate was rested, but I doubt that's a permanent situation.

There's also rumours of him being recalled to Sunderland, so for one reason or another, I doubt they'll get much playing time together.

co. down green
15/01/2009, 10:38 AM

KIlbane, McShane & Finnan (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1117262/Hull-Kevin-Zinedine-Kilbane-Wigan-close-1-5m-deal-Steve-Finnan.html) ?

third policeman
15/01/2009, 11:38 AM
KIlbane, McShane & Finnan (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1117262/Hull-Kevin-Zinedine-Kilbane-Wigan-close-1-5m-deal-Steve-Finnan.html) ?

Would suggest that McShane will lose the right back berth if Finnan comes and will probably drop down to the bench at best. Foley has got to be our right back cover.

Closed Account
15/01/2009, 11:40 AM
McShane has already been recalled to Sunderland.
http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=16625

bwagner
15/01/2009, 11:52 AM
He will be benched again ..bad news for the lad , he was doing well at Hull. Pity they didnt try to buy him.

Razors left peg
15/01/2009, 12:42 PM
Looks like Steve Finnan will be going to Hull
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4796994,00.html

HammerNThongs
15/01/2009, 1:51 PM
Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Kevin Kilbane has joined Hull city for about €1 million from Wigan. He had recently dropped out of favor under Stevie Bruce, and to be fair, when you watch Wigan now, you cant say it's a bad move. Good that he is still in the Premiership though.

OwlsFan
16/01/2009, 9:02 AM
Owls sign Wolves' Potter on loan

Potter played 17 times for Liverpool as a youngster. Sheffield Wednesday have signed Wolves midfielder Darren Potter on loan for the rest of the season.

The 25-year-old former Liverpool player, who has won five caps for the Republic of Ireland, has not played one first-team game for Wolves this season.

Liverpool-born Potter told BBC Radio Sheffield: "I'm really looking forward to the challenge here. I need games and this seems like a great club.

"Hopefully I can get a few goals whilst I am here."

Meanwhile, Owls boss Brian Laws has told BBC Radio Sheffield he is hopeful that Stoke City defender Lewis Buxton's loan can be extended until May.

Laws added that he would like to bring in a striker but that depends on reducing his squad first.

OwlsFan
17/01/2009, 2:43 PM
...and scores :D

third policeman
18/01/2009, 4:34 PM
Seamus Coleman (Sligo Rovers) to Everton according to BBC Ceefax.

Stuttgart88
18/01/2009, 5:04 PM
...and scores :DDid you see the game? I saw he hit the bar as well. Darren Randolph was in nets for Charlton and was dreadful. At fault for first 3 goals and gave away a free with a wild rush from his line and was lucky not to get a red. I have grave doubts about Randolph despite what the FAI says about him.

co. down green
18/01/2009, 5:40 PM
Seamus Coleman (Sligo Rovers) to Everton according to BBC Ceefax.

Everton (http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=hotline-everton-go-to-sea&method=full&objectid=21050827&siteid=93463-name_page.html) boss David Moyes is making Republic of Ireland under-21 right back Seamus Coleman his first signing of the window in a surprise cut-price deal.

Moyes has beaten Celtic, Birmingham City and Ipswich Town in the chase for the Sligo Rovers defender and will sort out a fee for him this week after the player agreed to join. Coleman, 20, is tipped to force his way into his plans by the end of the season.

Moyes has been watching Coleman for months and was helped by the fact that Sligo boss Willie McStay is an old Celtic team-mate of his - with the Scot coming over to sort out the move last week.

irishultra
19/01/2009, 7:59 AM
isnt paul cooks sligo manager?