PDA

View Full Version : NFL Play-Offs

harpskid
01/01/2009, 12:30 PM
Anyone keeping an eye on the NFL Play-offs this weekend..? Four games down for decision: Atlanta at Arizona, Indianapolis at San Diego, Baltimore at Miami and Philadelphia at Minnesota.

- Atlanta are in better form than Arizona at the minute. The Cardinals just sort of stumbled through and won a p*ss poor NFC West and I reckon Atlanta will be too strong with MIchael Turner and Mat Ryan on form

- Indianapolis are on a role at the moment with nine wins in a row, Peyton Manning once again the main man in their challenge, with 17 touchdown passes in that spell (27 for the season) and the Chargers' particularly poor defence should ensure the Colts have no trouble.

- Baltimore beat Miami earlier in the term and both are in good form coming into the weekend. Miami have won five in a row, but I reckon Baltimore will take this one - the Dolphins are weak enough in defence from what little I've seen of them on the box.

- Philadephia beat Minnesora earlier in the year too and Minesota were nearly beaten by Detroit - who were 0-16 all season, becomming the worst team in NFL history! - adn Pat Williams is a doubt as well.

Predictions:
Atlanta
Indianapolis
Baltimore
Philedelphia

strangeirish
01/01/2009, 3:40 PM
Predictions:
Atlanta
Indianapolis
Baltimore
Philedelphia
Gonna go with the Chargers in an upset.

Burny89
01/01/2009, 4:02 PM
not a chance the Chargers will beat the Colts. Would like to see Atlanta do well. Miami could beat Baltimore tho, if they can stop the running game of Baltimore.

eamo1
01/01/2009, 5:53 PM
Id have to agree with Harpskid.There is though always an upset in these wild card games and i think there could be one in the Dolphins Ravens game with maybe Dolphins sneaking it.All the rest should go true to predictions though.
Cant wait for Colts Chargers though,they will take lumps out of eachother.

strangeirish
03/01/2009, 3:43 PM
not a chance the Chargers will beat the Colts. Would like to see Atlanta do well. Miami could beat Baltimore tho, if they can stop the running game of Baltimore.
Only reason the Chargers have a slight chance is that they use a three four defense ( Four linebackers) and Manning tends to struggle against that set up. It's on today, so we'll see what happens.

strangeirish
04/01/2009, 2:47 PM
Brilliant game last night. Chargers edge the Colts in overtime. Sproles had a huge game, with LT on the sideline. Their punter was immense also, with four kicks inside the ten yard line, including a 67 yard bomb. Won a couple of hundred bucks on this one.:D

Disappointed Atlanta are out, but they didn't play well. Credit to the Arizona defense though, they did a good job of getting after Ryan and held Turner to 42 yards. Their offensive line had a great game also, not allowing a sack on Warner all day.

Eagles beat the Vikings. Defense looks strong. Miami's Chad Pennington had a shocker, but the Ravens look good. Going to be a physical game against the Titans. I think the Ravens can beat them. Don't care much for Kerry Collins.

Clifford
05/01/2009, 12:10 PM
Great weekend of action. That was some punting by the chargers all right. Terrible play cal by the usually solid Colts offence on 3rd and 2 in the last min or two. They should prob even have given up a safety to let the chargers back to within one, but at least they would have punted to a safer distance than they did. Also you'll win nothing without a running game and good an all as Manning is, they have no running game to back it up. What is the situation with transfers, can they go and get a guy like Larry Jonson or what is the story there?

Falcons got ahead at half time, but were deffo showing their inexperience in the sec half. Shame as what they did this year was superb.

Didn't see much of last nights games, fancied the Ravens all right. Vikings again suffered having a rookie QB, they have little beyond Peterson.

strangeirish
05/01/2009, 1:54 PM
Also you'll win nothing without a running game and good an all as Manning is, they have no running game to back it up. What is the situation with transfers, can they go and get a guy like Larry Jonson or what is the story there?

Nothing can happen till the season is over. I don't think he's a free agent next year, but the Chiefs may decide to trade him. He'd be a good fit with Indy, as they run a spread offense, so it could happen.

shefellover93
05/01/2009, 5:52 PM
I wouldn't be a fevered supporter of the NFL, but the Dolphins/Ravens game was very good, tight up until before half time, that Ted Ginn looked very good, they were highlighting some of his earlier returns for touchdowns, very impressive. Gotta feel sorry for the last Miami defender after the second interception touchdown, it was him against a convoy of 6 players sprinting towards him, glad it wasn't me in that situation!!

strangeirish
11/01/2009, 3:44 PM
Ravens beat the Titans in a bruising game. These two knocked lumps out of each other. Great defense by the Ravens and Flacco is very impressive for a rookie quarterback.

Cardinals pull a huge upset against Carolina last night. Larry Fitzgerald is some player. Delighted for Kurt Warner, he shredded Carolina. His offensive line give him all the time in the world to throw and they finally got a bit of a running game going. Their defense was immense, picking off Delhomme 5 times and forced a fumble from him also.

Eagles and Giants should be a good one, with the Steelers and Chargers later on today. Not going to predict either game, after what happened yesterday. All great stuff so far in the playoffs.

Dodge
12/01/2009, 9:13 AM
Yeah 4 good games over the weekend. I'm delighted for Warner and McNabb. 2 quarterbacks I love.

Baltimore's D won the game for them, as expected. Outstanding stuff from the Cardinals, helped by a very poor Jake Delhome. Eagles win a hard fought game in Meadowlands. Roethlisberger having his best game in years gives a relatively easy win for Steelers.

An all Pennsylvania Superbowl?

Clifford
12/01/2009, 11:00 AM
Great weekend of action. Eli was woeful, I thought he was too cocky altogether. Fair play to the Eagles, McNabb was superb.

Would love the Cards and Ravens to get to the big one.

Chargers disappointed as well. Big Ben the punter. I like it.

paudie
17/01/2009, 4:22 PM
Any predictions for the NFC and AFC championship games this weekend lads? Don't follow the NFL that closely but the race seems wide open this year.

Dodge
17/01/2009, 4:58 PM
I've backed a steelers/cardinals suberbowl. Obviously though the Steelers and eagles are favourites. I think Baltimore is to banged up on D while the Steelers D should murder Flacco. Eagles have won 2 play off games without being too impressive. I'd like to think Warner will have a better game than Jackson or Eli did. Definitely worth a punt at the odds

strangeirish
17/01/2009, 7:20 PM
Going with the Ravens in an upset. Should be a hard hitting game as these two despise each other. Hard to go against the Eagles in the other game, but, if Arizona's offensive line can protect Warner, it could get very interesting. They really need to get their running game going to keep the Eagles blitzing in check. We'll see.

paudie
17/01/2009, 7:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals

Was surprised to read that the Cardinals are the oldest professional football club in the US. History (pretty unsuccessful it must be said!) going back to 1898.

Only 1 league title in 1947 i think.

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 7:16 PM
Cardinals are up 7 early, Fitzgerald with the TD. Running game is working for them so far. Anyone watching?

Boo_Boy
18/01/2009, 7:42 PM
Great opening drive for the Cards, the Eagles D looked really bad, they better step it up.

I do hope McNabb fails though, if he throws a couple of INT and generally plays bad then i can see the Eagles fans hating on him again....then he can come to Chi town next season:)

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 7:49 PM
What a play by the Cards! Dang! Fitzgerald again!

Boo_Boy
18/01/2009, 8:00 PM
Love it.

Fitzgerald is a beast.

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 8:12 PM
Three TD's for Fitzgerald...jaysus. 21-6 Cardinals. Philly are in a spot of bother I believe.:D

Boo_Boy
18/01/2009, 8:20 PM
I just hope McNabb isn't slaughtered by the Eagles fans.

Thats call a second ago was a complete joke. I hate how the refs are not allowed to look at the replays on the screens in the stadium, that was nowhere near out of bounds:mad:

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 8:29 PM
Yeah, brutal call there alright and, the coach can't challenge it.

Edit: 24-6 at the half. McNabb not playing well at all. They're going to have to make some serious adjustments for the second half. Warner is beating their blitz packages and making it look easy.

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 9:46 PM
Eagles come roaring back and lead 25-24. McNabb with a 62 yard TD to Jackson.

Aberdonian Stu
18/01/2009, 9:53 PM
This is turning into a war. Big 4th down conversion by the Cards.

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 10:02 PM
Cards back on top! Went for two on the conversion and got it! 32-25. What a game.

Aberdonian Stu
18/01/2009, 10:07 PM
And the Eagles are marching.

strangeirish
18/01/2009, 10:15 PM
Barring a miracle for the Eagles, Cards are heading to the superbowl. Delighted for Warner. Great game. Was looking like a blowout in the first half, but fair play to Eagles for coming back.

Aberdonian Stu
18/01/2009, 10:28 PM
Right there's a new lesson for all football teams. When in doubt, even if he isn't playing for your team or on the same continent, throw to Larry Fitzgerald.

Seriously though, he's such a dominant force. Exceptional playmaker. Finally, after so many years waiting, we're seeing just how much the Cardinals can spread the field with their offence.

Gotta get a couple of words in for Warner and Edgerrin James. Warner has made it very hard to keep him out of the Hall of Fame now, and rightly so. The ultimate everyman of a quarterback deserves his place amongst his peers. James meanwhile has been a rock this past few weeks, really making up for the criticisms he received since moving to Arizona. The partnership with Hightower has certainly helped.

OneRedArmy
18/01/2009, 10:45 PM
I still can't believe the Cards are going to the Super Bowl.

Although it was all Fitzgerald, its the threat of Hightower and James that creates the space for the pass.

I thought Arizona would bottle it in the 4th, but no better man than Warner when the pressures on.

I'm going to be in Phoenix on Feb 1st, can't wait, it should be great (although not quite being in Tampa!).

Aberdonian Stu
19/01/2009, 12:40 AM
Eugh, Steelers totally messed up there by not making sure they got the field goal attempt.

Boo_Boy
19/01/2009, 12:41 AM
Everybody go and get laid, the world is gunna end.

The Cards are going to the superbowl.

Great game of footbal though, Cards deserved it.

Steelers v Ravens is great, both D's are making BIG HITS. Just the way i like my football.

strangeirish
19/01/2009, 1:34 AM
Rough game so far. Lighting each other up with the hits. Ravens not out of it yet. 16-7 Steelers, with about 12 minutes to go.

Edit: 16-14 Steelers. 9:29 to go. Can the Ravens defense stop Big Ben?

strangeirish
19/01/2009, 2:09 AM
Looks like the Steelers have this in the bag, 23-14 with 3:29 to go. If ye get a chance, watch the vicious hit Baltimore's McGahee gets. Knocks him out cold. Edit: here (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e35c6a)

Dodge
19/01/2009, 9:19 AM
Glad I called it right. Delighted for Warner and the cards. Fitzgerald is playing at a level I haven't seen from a WR. Steelers defence just suffocated Baltimore. The scoreline slightly flatter Baltimore who scored 2 TDs on a great Punt return by Leonhard, a shocking punt by the Steelers punter and 2 pass intereference calls. The whole game was littered with massive hits bot just by the expected likes of Lewis and Suggs but by players like Leonhard and Limas Sweed. The biggest hit of all caused Willis McGahee to be strethered off and I hope he's ok. It really took the wind out of the game with 4/5 minutes to go

Here's to the Superbowl and hopefully another upset by the Cards

Aberdonian Stu
19/01/2009, 11:35 AM
That was a bruiser, great to see the Steelers back in the Super Bowl. In case you missed it check out the hit in the video below.

HaGJcfjTTFc