PDA

View Full Version : PDC World darts

Monkfish
30/12/2008, 1:32 PM
Anyone else been watching what is the highlight of the festive season? :)

gilberto_eire
30/12/2008, 10:49 PM
Ya, had a bet on earlier too... A.Villa, Klassen, Wade and a horse at Wolverhampton at around 15/1.
Delighted :D

Van Der Voort was woeful and Wade is lucky he didn't have a stronger opponent or he'd have been beat easy!!

Barney made hard work of that game against Baxter, seemed to be crusing early but then it flipped completly with Baxter throwing some amazing darts!!

Monkfish
31/12/2008, 8:52 AM
Got a tip for Wade at the start so had a little e/w bet on him @17/2. Hopefully he'll up his game from here on in.

Stuttgart88
31/12/2008, 9:07 AM
Haven't watched much of it yet but on Stephen's Day my wife, kids and I went for a stroll around the Alexandra Palace & grounds. All the promotional posters were up with giant sized pictures of the "athletes", prompting my wife to ask "why is that ugly bloke called "The Artist"? There was a huge Newcastle Brown Ale delivery truck outside, and hundreds of beer kegs stacked up. I must actually go along for the darts next year for the laugh.

I've a soft spot for the Ally Pally as I worked as a building site labourer there in 1987. I actually helped lay the floor in the main auditorium.

passinginterest
02/01/2009, 9:55 PM
Barney with the 9 darter tonight, then taking out 161 to win the match. First 9 darter in the PDC world finals. 106 average, if Barney and Taylor can keep up this for it's going to be an unbelievable final. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 9 darter from Taylor now too, every time he got close up to now you could see him thinking about it, he desperately wanted to be the first to do it in the worlds, it'll have hurt him a lot to see Barney get it.

On a personal note I just hit my 3rd 180 of the night!

Aberdonian Stu
05/01/2009, 11:37 AM
Final was an extraordinary performance from Taylor. Set a new three dart average record for a PDC final.

passinginterest
05/01/2009, 5:31 PM
Awesome is the only way to describe him. His concentration levels are a different class, he's on another level to anyone else that's ever played the game.

holidaysong
05/01/2009, 6:04 PM
Was watching the BDO World Championship over the weekend. I haven't seen as much PDC as BDO but despite Barney defecting, I still think the BDO one is the one to win.. You just can't beat the Lakeside as a darts venue. It's to darts what the Crucible is to snooker.

passinginterest
05/01/2009, 8:52 PM
As far as tradition and grass roots of the game go BDO is still the king. The PDC does have more money and a stronger top player pool, although the gap is not nearly as wide as Sky would have you think. Taylor and Barneveld, at his best, are a different class to anyone in either organisation. A number of players are leaving the PDC this year due to the high cost involved in playing on the tour and returning to the BDO which should add more strenght in depth.

joeSoap
06/01/2009, 1:14 PM
Was watching the BDO World Championship over the weekend. I haven't seen as much PDC as BDO but despite Barney defecting, I still think the BDO one is the one to win.. You just can't beat the Lakeside as a darts venue. It's to darts what the Crucible is to snooker. The BDO is the Conference of the Darts world, as opposed to the PDC being the premiership. There is no comparison whatsoever in the skill levels of players in both organisations. The Lakeside might be the traditional venue, and a great one at that, but it's the equivalent of watching Blackpool and Crewe at Wembley...utter sh1te gracing a great venue.

pete
06/01/2009, 1:32 PM
Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year. "Nothing serious like treadmill as I am older now". Did not sound like it was tongue in cheek either.

:D

holidaysong
06/01/2009, 2:09 PM
Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year. "Nothing serious like treadmill as I am older now". Did not sound like it was tongue in cheek either.

This sketch is appropriate at this point I think..

sHnBppccI0o

passinginterest
06/01/2009, 5:48 PM
The BDO is the Conference of the Darts world, as opposed to the PDC being the premiership. There is no comparison whatsoever in the skill levels of players in both organisations. The Lakeside might be the traditional venue, and a great one at that, but it's the equivalent of watching Blackpool and Crewe at Wembley...utter sh1te gracing a great venue.

PDC is stronger yes but your comparison is well off. Last years PDC wasn't the best ever but I think the comparisons from this post (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=853203&postcount=26), last year, are still a fair enough example of how small the gap actually is.

Players like Co Stompe were fairly average in the BDO and have done well on the PDC circuit. Most of the PDC quarter finalists this year had played in the BDO within the last 5 years.

pete
06/01/2009, 9:26 PM
This sketch is appropriate at this point I think..

Brilliant.

DmanDmythDledge
06/01/2009, 10:14 PM
PDC is stronger yes but your comparison is well off. Last years PDC wasn't the best ever but I think the comparisons from this post (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=853203&postcount=26), last year, are still a fair enough example of how small the gap actually is.

Players like Co Stompe were fairly average in the BDO and have done well on the PDC circuit. Most of the PDC quarter finalists this year had played in the BDO within the last 5 years.
BDO don't count darts thrown when on a finish so gap would be greater if it weren't for that.

passinginterest
07/01/2009, 2:17 PM
BDO don't count darts thrown when on a finish so gap would be greater if it weren't for that.

Really? First I've heard of that. They often show the average for the first 9 darts as well as the overall average. The overall average has to account for all darts thrown. 15 dart leg = 33.4 average.

Ceirtlis
08/01/2009, 12:40 PM

Not sure that that is correct to be honest cant find anything to prove it though.

I still like watching the BDO darts coverage. It isnt as good a standard as the PDC obviously but it has its good points. Whatever you say about Bobby George, the mans a character and i always find him funny. Sid Waddell on Sky is a pain in the hole, comletely intolerable, even though the guy from BBC is a bit irratiating as well(Tony Green?).
The razmataz of the PDC gets a little boring after a while. I think they could do with a new song between sets for one thing as the one they have now has been done to death. It is a bit boring hearing a load of pished up fellas shouting Oi,Oi,Oi for the thousanth time.
Some of the opening round of matches in the BDO were fairly shocking but the standard has picked up and the Fitton-Whitlock match would have been up there with the best matches in the PDC championship. I wouldnt mind seeing Fitton win it now.

Youths4Ever
08/01/2009, 1:48 PM

watching the darts last night and the average where shown for both first 9 darts and all darts thrown.

unless this is only shown on tv and not shown in the official stats

Stuttgart88
12/01/2009, 4:10 PM
If Hankey hadn't won last night I think it could have been one of the greatest chokes I've ever seen in sport. How many shots did he have for the title before finally getting it? Missing single-12 to leave himself on no finish.

At one stage he did the classic amateur finish of missing everything inside the double-ring so he needed double-one.

Monkfish
13/01/2009, 1:12 PM
Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year.

:D

In fairness F1 drivers have to be very fit and all they do is sit in a car and drive. My point is with the darts becoming more popular (more comps/prize money) players will need some level of fitness (healthy body healthy mind and all that) to fully compete in all tournaments. If you look at the best young players and il take Wade and Klaason as examples, they would hardly be what you would call beer monsters :)

Roadend
13/01/2009, 1:27 PM
watching the darts last night and the average where shown for both first 9 darts and all darts thrown.

unless this is only shown on tv and not shown in the official stats

Only on TV, not the offical ones which are for all darts thrown.

Stuttgart88
13/01/2009, 1:57 PM
Didn't one guy say recently that he needs to work on his fitness, adding "nothing serious like a threadmill"?

I remember in Celebrity Fit Club Andy Fordham couldn't walk 100 metres.

gilberto_eire
13/01/2009, 5:01 PM
wouldn't say they just ''sit in a car and drive'' there bodies are exposed out in the open, also the force of those winds hitting you aswell. I'd say it's a different story completely then even say, rally driving.

Monkfish
14/01/2009, 4:23 PM
wouldn't say they just ''sit in a car and drive''

Forgot about the Flintstones F1 series. :)

paul_oshea
15/01/2009, 9:22 AM
ya that was phil the power taylor stutts.

joeSoap
15/01/2009, 11:58 AM
I see James Wade is 'throwing one into' Helen Chamberlain.....

Lucky B*stard

Roadend
15/01/2009, 4:11 PM
That's been suspected for months the lack of her wedding ring on show on soccer am sealed the deal

gilberto_eire
15/01/2009, 9:34 PM
I see James Wade is 'throwing one into' Helen Chamberlain.....

Lucky B*stard

Not hear the slagging he was getting during one of his games?, he wasn't happy :D

joeSoap
16/01/2009, 11:27 AM
Pity about him....