PDA

View Full Version : Home Farm Record-Breakers

HarpoJoyce
29/12/2008, 8:01 PM
There was a presentation at the beginning of the month for Home Farm's squad that went on a record-breaking 203 matches undefeated run of matches from 1989(?) 'til the early nineties.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/junior-senior/home-farm-honour-203-club-members-1567181.html
"...The players who contributed to the remarkable achievement were: John Alcock, Ken Byrne, Jimmy Bouchier, Ciaran Dowling, Marc Kenny, Eric O'Neill, Ken Ring, Greg Syms, Damien Bennett, Christian Bowes, Ciaran Duffy, Pat Goodson, PJ O'Connell, Keith Redmond, Trevor Vaughan, Paul Brennan, Neil Cullen, Anthony Lynch, Gary Kelly, John Platt, Ciaran Murphy, Eddie Van Boxtel, Matthew Buttner, Stephen Dixon, Graham Kavanagh, Kevin Clancy, Brendan Quinlivan, Gary Sliney, Karl Wilson, Karl Whelan."

Ciaran Duffy played with UCD and John Platt was a goalkeeper related to Northern Ireland International Jim Platt.

seand
03/01/2009, 10:04 AM
That was some run!

Sad to say I've not heard of many of them, did any of them make it big, apart from internationals Graham Kavanagh and Gary Kelly.

I know Vaughan, VanBoxtel (unavailable to attend- I wonder why!), Kenny and Duffy had decent LoI careers. Sliney also played LoI (badly, for Dundalk around 2004). Some of the other names seem familiar- anyone able to tell us about some of the others?

prince20
03/01/2009, 12:13 PM
That was some run!

Sad to say I've not heard of many of them, did any of them make it big, apart from internationals Graham Kavanagh and Gary Kelly.

I know Vaughan, VanBoxtel (unavailable to attend- I wonder why!), Kenny and Duffy had decent LoI careers. Sliney also played LoI (badly, for Dundalk around 2004). Some of the other names seem familiar- anyone able to tell us about some of the others?

AFAIK the obvious one is Graham Kavanagh and the PJ O Connell referred to is a son of the (former?)Bohs director,Tony O Connell. Played a bit of League of Ireland but not sure for how long

old git
05/01/2009, 12:30 PM
There was a presentation at the beginning of the month for Home Farm's squad that went on a record-breaking 203 matches undefeated run of matches from 1989(?) 'til the early nineties.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/junior-senior/home-farm-honour-203-club-members-1567181.html
"...The players who contributed to the remarkable achievement were: John Alcock, Ken Byrne, Jimmy Bouchier, Ciaran Dowling, Marc Kenny, Eric O'Neill, Ken Ring, Greg Syms, Damien Bennett, Christian Bowes, Ciaran Duffy, Pat Goodson, PJ O'Connell, Keith Redmond, Trevor Vaughan, Paul Brennan, Neil Cullen, Anthony Lynch, Gary Kelly, John Platt, Ciaran Murphy, Eddie Van Boxtel, Matthew Buttner, Stephen Dixon, Graham Kavanagh, Kevin Clancy, Brendan Quinlivan, Gary Sliney, Karl Wilson, Karl Whelan."

Ciaran Duffy played with UCD and John Platt was a goalkeeper related to Northern Ireland International Jim Platt.

some achivement 197 wins / 6 draws / no loses .. scored 1111 goals / conceded 106 goals. they deserved to be honoured after that and should have been ackknowledged more by press & rte / league of ireland / f.a.i /fifa / uefa :ball::ball:

Dodge
05/01/2009, 12:36 PM
PJ O'Connell went over to Leeds. Came back on loan to Pats about 1993 (ish). Went to Rovers the following season and didn't really do much with them either.

Marc Kenny played most of his career with Rovers> I think Christian Bowes was with Rovers too at one stage

osarusan
05/01/2009, 2:19 PM
http://www.eddievanboxtel.bravepages.com/homefarm_big.gif
The Under 16 team from the 92-93 season, with Eddie Van Boxtel.

blackholesun
05/01/2009, 3:49 PM
think Christian Bowes was with Rovers too at one stage

Yes, Bowes was signed by Treacy in his first full season in charge and impressed in his debut v Notts Forest in the RDS. He mainly played in Leinster and League Cup games. He never really broke into the first team and I think played for Arklow Town after Rovers.

bhs

JerseyRed
07/01/2009, 7:20 PM
That was some run!

Played for us as well.

irishultra
08/01/2009, 3:32 AM
bouchier like my mums maiden name. french that is i tell ya;)