PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Robson

Scram
28/12/2008, 12:18 PM
Just watching Bobby Robson being helped back to his seat at half-time of Newcastle v Liverpool, looking very frail and unrecognisable at first sight.

Bobby's time at Ireland was not successful but I am sure we all wish him all the best and a full recovery if possible. He was always a gentleman and with a manner that many managers should learn from.

seanfhear
28/12/2008, 3:13 PM
Maybe it's my age but I never understood all the sympathy and respect given to the man at his time in Ireland. While Stan was branded a "muppet" and a "clown", Robson was defended almost as a victim of the FAI. I just don't see it, he was a poor influence in the management of Ireland and that's the only experience I've ever had with him, I don't know what I'm supposed to think of him.
To be honest Bobbys judgement,ego or whatever let him down when he took the Irish job.
For reasons of health or age he was not able to do his abilties justice for Ireland.
The Irish top brass only brought him in as cover for not getting a "top class international manager".
If Stan and Bobby were guilty of anything it is of taking on jobs that they were not able to do at that time.
The real questions should be asked of those that offered the jobs in the first place.

superfrank
28/12/2008, 4:10 PM
Very sad to see the way Bobby is nowadays.

His time as whatever role he had at Ireland aside, he had a very respectable career as a manager. On top of that, he always comes across as a genuine football person with hardly ever a bad word to say about anyone, one of the few gentlemen left in football these days.

If people here are going to put Robson down because of what he did as Staunton's assistant and time at Ireland, then they know nothing about football.

(Don't see why this is in the Ireland section though, it should be moved to World Football.)

Crosby87
28/12/2008, 11:05 PM
Its SIR Robert Robson to yous.:)

OneRedArmy
30/12/2008, 10:44 AM
To be honest Bobbys judgement,ego or whatever let him down when he took the Irish job.
For reasons of health or age he was not able to do his abilties justice for Ireland.
The Irish top brass only brought him in as cover for not getting a "top class international manager".
If Stan and Bobby were guilty of anything it is of taking on jobs that they were not able to do at that time.
The real questions should be asked of those that offered the jobs in the first place.Spot on.

I've heard many anecdotes that indicate that Bobby wasn't well in either body or mind whilst in the Ireland job and should clearly never have been offered it.

I remember him being rolled out by the heroes in Abbotstown to defend Stan on national radio when the poor man clearly wasn't fit to do so.

BTW Ciaran, wouldn't expect anything else from someone as naive and clueless as yourself. Go and look up keyboard warrior, fits you to a tee.

Crosby87
30/12/2008, 11:47 AM
[quote=OneRedArmy;1079695

BTW Ciaran, wouldn't expect anything else from someone as naive and clueless as yourself. Go and look up keyboard warrior, fits you to a tee.[/quote]

I agree with you about that guy but would Hemmingway be called a Typewriter warrior? You have to use what you have, right?

stiffler
30/12/2008, 4:54 PM
It was sir bobby robson day at newcastle on sunday. Good to see the club recognise a legend.

GreenStar
31/12/2008, 2:50 AM
It was sir bobby robson day at newcastle on sunday. Good to see the club recognise a legend.

An ENGLISH legend maybe but not an Irish one.

stiffler
31/12/2008, 9:24 AM
An ENGLISH legend maybe but not an Irish one.

Na mate- i was talking about a football legend :rolleyes:

Junior
31/12/2008, 10:38 AM

Pity, Mike Ashley used it as a day to announce he wasnt going to sell the club afterall!!

bennocelt
01/01/2009, 5:48 PM
Maybe it's my age but I never understood all the sympathy and respect given to the man at his time in Ireland. While Stan was branded a "muppet" and a "clown", Robson was defended almost as a victim of the FAI. I just don't see it, he was a poor influence in the management of Ireland and that's the only experience I've ever had with him, I don't know what I'm supposed to think of him.

yeah likewise - but its kind of an irish thing - nice of him to pocket 100,000 and all

Scram
02/01/2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran

yeah likewise - but its kind of an irish thing - nice of him to pocket 100,000 and all

I didn't have any sympathy for either his appointment or his performance but remember he was out sick for the majority of his time in the post. The appointment was foolish given his medical history just prior to his appointment and I saw him as the Olly Hardy to accompany Stan Laurel but Delaney was head Muppet.

My respect for him is for his years in football and that he was always reasonable.

amaccann
02/01/2009, 12:21 PM
I forgive the man for being part of the Stan years because, in all likelihood, it was an attempt by Robson to convince himself he was still capable of playing an active role in football management despite his illness. So while yes, his appointment was foolish and an idiotic move by the FAI, I bare Robson no ills for taking the job.